Menu

Ok, so I am finally absolutely convinced Americans are going to face VERY rough times

economically and hyper-inflation is coming. We don't live on a farm(although we live on 10 wooded acres) have no animals and don't even have a garden. Could someone give me a resource to the most basic starting point help to prepare for extremely bad times?

I've read a little from old threads, but they're a bit overwhelming- would really like a simple resource. TIA

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

economically and hyper-inflation is coming. We don't live on a farm(although we live on 10 wooded acres) have no animals and don't even have a garden. Could someone give me a resource to the most basic starting point help to prepare for extremely bad times?

I've read a little from old threads, but they're a bit overwhelming- would really like a simple resource. TIA

:bigear:

Try searching via 'frugal living' instead of 'doomsday' or whatever you've looked at...:willy_nilly:

JMHO - get out/stay out of debt, esp. variable rate debt (credit cards, etc.). That will help your peace of mind a lot.

About 3 yrs ago I instituted a guideline about buying stuff. If it doesn't feed us, shelter us, cover us, heal us, or heat us when I burn it, I don't buy it...

And be realistic...you aren't going to learn how to be a survivalist fur trapper / bark boiler at this point...focus on stuff you can control first, and don't sweat the rest. :)

Countryside magazine is an excellent periodical for getting started. I also highly recommend The Backyard Homestead and Country Wisdom and Know How.

If you search the boards, you will find a thread from last month concerning preparations for a more sustainable lifestyle. However, the thread title was something to do with Secretary Geitner's letter to congress about raising the debt ceiling. So, maybe try "secretary" and "letter" in the search.

Faith

Try searching via 'frugal living' instead of 'doomsday' or whatever you've looked at...:willy_nilly:

JMHO - get out/stay out of debt, esp. variable rate debt (credit cards, etc.). That will help your peace of mind a lot.

About 3 yrs ago I instituted a guideline about buying stuff. If it doesn't feed us, shelter us, cover us, heal us, or heat us when I burn it, I don't buy it...

And be realistic...you aren't going to learn how to be a survivalist fur trapper / bark boiler at this point...focus on stuff you can control first, and don't sweat the rest. :)

Do you think it's a good idea to stock up on freezer items? Should I get a 1/4 cow now? I have the extra $$ right now. How much will things increase and how fast?

Do you think it's a good idea to stock up on freezer items? Should I get a 1/4 cow now? I have the extra $$ right now. How much will things increase and how fast?

I wonder if people realize how much electricity is going to be in demand? My thoughts?

Invest in heirloom seeds. Learn to garden. Learn to save seeds. Learn preserving that doesn't take electricity. Learn old skills - like how to upcycle clothing into blankets. Like how to have a woodpile. Invest in a chainsaw - heat. Invest in a cow/calf rather than buying a side of beef. Or better yet, invest in goats. They eat less and grow out at a much faster rate.

These are things we haven't had to think about for a very long time. Things like -get the heck out of Arizona because you won't be able to afford water and you can't grow food without it.

Things like seed saving, old fashioned preserving... Because will you be able to afford electricity to save that cow? Hunting. Invest in a gun to hunt small game.

This would be TRUE survival skills.

I think we're headed for some massive inflation as well - possibly nothing 'doomsdayish" - but hard.

If you have extra funds to invest, buy gold or silver

If you have no issues with firearms, invest in one - or in ammunition for the ones you have (it is going to get VERY expensive, and who knows....)

Consider buying one of the "Survival" gardens - seeds preserved in a can. You don't have to have a lot of space for a small garden.

Start living frugal now, figure out what you can do without, etc.etc....

It is hard to really start stocking up - because we have no idea what or when anything will happen. Also - when and if something happens, we don't know exactly what the consequences to the economy will be. The food you stock up on might be bad before you need it, or the gas you keep in the garage could get nasty and hurt the car, etc, etc. I suppose non-food goods, like TP for example - but most foods have a very limited shelf life.

One last thing I have heard that makes a lot of sense- get to know your neighbors. You don't have to be close - but cordial and friendly. Close communities fare much better in hard times.

A farmer's almanac might be a help to you.

Any of the old Foxfire books might be of interest to you.

The old Mother Earth catalog is still around, I believe, and you might find it useful.

There is much information online and at most libraries about container or raised bed gardening. That might be a good, small place to start with growing things and then you could go from there.

For stocking up, I would just fill my pantry with sale items until I built up the sort of stock I thought I could maintain and rotate.

SolaMichella, it so depends on what you think is going to happen. If you think it will be limited to hyperinflation but utilities will still be affordable, then running the freezer is an option. If you think that power from the grid will be unaffordable, then no.

There is a lot of talk about how bad this could get. Dh and I personally believe that austerity measures will have to be put in place by the government because of they've danced for far too long without paying the piper and now they can't make the interest payments on the national debt. We've got more people drawing from the system than paying into the system. So, we believe the price of commodities will rise drastically but we don't believe there will be a collapse of the government.

It's going to be very, very hard if not impossible, to avoid serious increases in food and energy costs.

No one can predict how fast or how soon the rises will happen. But, the federal budget deficit, uncontrolled spending, debt to taxpayer ratio, national debt, interest on that debt, etc. all point to things getting very, very tight.

Before spending money, do some research and then based on that, do what seems reasonable to you.

Faith

SolaMichella, it so depends on what you think is going to happen. If you think it will be limited to hyperinflation but utilities will still be affordable, then running the freezer is an option. If you think that power from the grid will be unaffordable, then no.

There is a lot of talk about how bad this could get. Dh and I personally believe that austerity measures will have to be put in place by the government because of they've danced for far too long without paying the piper and now they can't make the interest payments on the national debt. We've got more people drawing from the system than paying into the system. So, we believe the price of commodities will rise drastically but we don't believe there will be a collapse of the government.

It's going to be very, very hard if not impossible, to avoid serious increases in food and energy costs.

No one can predict how fast or how soon the rises will happen. But, the federal budget deficit, uncontrolled spending, debt to taxpayer ratio, national debt, interest on that debt, etc. all point to things getting very, very tight.

Before spending money, do some research and then based on that, do what seems reasonable to you.

Faith

I don't KNOW what I think will happen! :willy_nilly: I just see what I read here. I have no idea if utilities will be too much versus will food be too much. I already have a freezer and I've got cases of frozen veggies from my food coop coming. But, if cattle feed will go up, should I get meat now? I don't know! Ugh.

Try http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/

Remember you have to FEED an animal. It's going to be very hard to do if you can't buy feed. And it will take time to grow your own. I have an old farming book that deals with feeding animals in non-conventional ways (the commons, cutting weeds/grass from the road side, etc.). Things that have been forgotten in the modern feed store era.

My Dad suggested we make a 1 month menu of food that didn't have to be cooked / need water. (Canned goods.) I think that was a good starting spot for us. I think the most accessable thing is to stock up on food - especially dry and canned goods. Why buy rice for $5 when you can buy for $1.

Start with a garden - you might try square foot gardening, if you are in the North, Solar Gardening by Poisson has ways to extend the growing season.

For me credit cards are the last of my concern. We have high balances but if the sh&t really hit the fan who is going to pay them at all? Feeding 8 people is what concerns me. We don't have enough space for much garden and there is no way we can move any time soon.

One thing you may want to do is check out chrismartenson.com. He's a PhD biochemist who got interested in the economy and put together a free set of videos called the "Crash Course" that is an excellent summary of some of the concerns that have been mentioned earlier in this thread. You can access these videos here - http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse or on youtube for free.

He also has a section about getting started with preparation here - http://www.chrismartenson.com/page/what-should-i-do. I would highly recommend looking through that as well.

I would (I have :))...I think I saw an article that said we (U.S.) has seen 2% increase in inflation SINCE DECEMBER 25, 2010...that's only 2 months!

Well, the 1/4 beef is a short term solution. Once consumed it won't help you out and if you can't afford the utilities, then you do have to eat it right away before it goes bad. So, maybe a good thing to do would be to can the meat if you choose to buy it. Canning is actually quite simple, just time consuming. But that way, the beef will last. A lot of people have lost their freezer goods just do to power losses from big storms. So, not depending on the freezer too much might be a good way to go. I do more canning and dehydrating than I do freezing though our pig from last fall is in the freezer.

Cattle feed is likely to go up. This is because congress approved more ethanol for gas. Since ethanol plants are subsidized by public funds, and the government mandates the amount of ethanol additive to each gallon of fuel, this guarantees the ethanol industry a high price for it's commodity and a bizzarely high demand for it's product. Thus, farmers will sell to the ethanol plants who will pay a higher price for the corn because their profit margin is literally guaranteed by the feds. This in turn will cause the amount of corn on the market for feeding cows, pigs, and chickens to go down in quantity and up in price.

I think gardening is one of the best investments you can make. If you learn to garden well, you can get a lot of food for very little cost. You can also grow pintos, kidney, and navy beans which are easily dried and then stored in glass jars or five gallon pails. These will provide a family with lots of protein and last years as long as they don't draw moisture.

Are the Co-op vegetables already frozen or were you planning on freezing them once they arrived at your home?

Faith

It may be better to buy some bags of wheat/flour/sugar/beans/etc. and store them in buckets. You do not need to grind the wheat in order to eat it (just cook it like rice or soak it overnight) so don't get hung up on an expensive wheat grinder if you don't have one. I get buckets with gamma seal lids from:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/ -- great customer service.

You can get bags of wheat from different places - try a local food co-op or health food store. Beans, flour, sugar from Costco or other warehouse store. I have never had bugs in my grain -- but just to be on the safe side we freeze the grain for 72 hrs before putting it into the buckets. The nice thing about storing grain is that you don't need refrigeration and some things like wheat and beans can be safely stored for years.

I think prices will rise over the next few years to the point where it will be a hardship although I don't see hyperinflation happening. I think it'll be more of a gradual creeping inflation that hits every part of the economy - fuel, food, housing, etc. When I bought my first house (in the 80s) I thought a 13.5% fixed rate mortgage was a bargain - I even paid points to bring it down that low.

Well, the 1/4 beef is a short term solution. Once consumed it won't help you out and if you can't afford the utilities, then you do have to eat it right away before it goes bad. So, maybe a good thing to do would be to can the meat if you choose to buy it. Canning is actually quite simple, just time consuming. But that way, the beef will last. A lot of people have lost their freezer goods just do to power losses from big storms. So, not depending on the freezer too much might be a good way to go. I do more canning and dehydrating than I do freezing though our pig from last fall is in the freezer.

Cattle feed is likely to go up. This is because congress approved more ethanol for gas. Since ethanol plants are subsidized by public funds, and the government mandates the amount of ethanol additive to each gallon of fuel, this guarantees the ethanol industry a high price for it's commodity and a bizzarely high demand for it's product. Thus, farmers will sell to the ethanol plants who will pay a higher price for the corn because their profit margin is literally guaranteed by the feds. This in turn will cause the amount of corn on the market for feeding cows, pigs, and chickens to go down in quantity and up in price.

I think gardening is one of the best investments you can make. If you learn to garden well, you can get a lot of food for very little cost. You can also grow pintos, kidney, and navy beans which are easily dried and then stored in glass jars or five gallon pails. These will provide a family with lots of protein and last years as long as they don't draw moisture.

Are the Co-op vegetables already frozen or were you planning on freezing them once they arrived at your home?

Faith

The veggies are already frozen. I have a case of broccoli, peas, green beans and peppers coming. Oh, and a container of organic ice cream, but we don't need to worry about that lasting long. LOL

I'm kind of clueless in these matters, but why all the threads lately about this subject? What makes you all think this is going to happen?

Egypt, Bharain, Tunisia, Madison

The US is out of money...we're experiencing a world-wide depression, the Fed Res. is monetizing the US Govt's debt...Inflation trends are already well established...we've got a Treasury Sec considering selling 100 year Treasury Bonds!

Hopefully I'm completely wrong, but just consider...what impact would a 50% increase in the cost of your food, home heating fuel, and gasoline do to your family budget? Just food for thought...

one of the things we love is having chickens. they eat table scraps + garden scraps + lay pellets if all else fails.... they give us joy, and eggs. (but not meat, although they could; we get rather attached to them). so that might be a good place to start, whether or not you end up needing them as a food source. you can also barter eggs for other things....

our neighbors have goats, and if we need to, that is what we will get.... they give milk, and the possibility of cheese and meat.... and they eat just about anything, too.

we put in enough solar panels to run the well and the house. we did this more as a cost saving measure than as an emergency preparedness measure, but it does function as both.

we also keep pounds of rice and flour and sugar (and popcorn ; ), again, more as a convenience and cost saving measure than as an emergency preparedness measure.... but it does function short term as that as well.

if you don't already garden, starting a small garden is fun, delicious, nutritious, and will also help you begin to acquire skills you dont' have, that you might need. it can also lead one to figure out a million different ways to eat zucchini ; )

i don't see our infrastructure completely tanking any time soon, but do think that the fear mongers are in full flight, and that one of the best things we can do is to turn off the radio and television and stop giving them an audience. using the free market to vote with our feet does actually work and people do change their tune.

doing things like getting to know our neighbors, and educating our children, valuing simple living and not opting into the commercial generation are all just healthy life choices..... that will also help if things turn bad.

fwiw,

ann

I'm kind of clueless in these matters, but why all the threads lately about this subject? What makes you all think this is going to happen?

Do tell. Dh talks about it but only in terms of his line of work. I'm :bigear:.

:iagree: -- I *LOVE* this book!! :)

Thank you for the recommendation and the endorsement -- off to see if I can get it on dd's Nook.

ftr, the first home I purchased, in 1981 (?) - pretty sure that was the year -- my interest rate was 18.5%. I had friends who purchased just before I did, and their interest rate was also 18.5%.

OK - pls answer why I should be reading up on this and I will get my hands on the book Remudamom recommended........and I was on my way to Tysons to get a new dress to wear to brunch on Sunday --:glare: -- you guys ruin all my fun.:toetap05:

Oh, and that suggestion about 'get to know your neighbors' -- nope, I already know them.

:D

I haven't read all the posts, but a friend recently mentioned "bucket gardening" and I found some YouTube videos on it. I might give that a try, since we have just a small lot, though we are looking for a couple of acres outside of town.

I would also do the seed harvesting and heirloom seeds, already suggested.

I plan to do the 72-hour kits and a larger "ready" kit to have on hand in case we have to scoot.

A long time ago we transferred our $$ from the stock market to cash.

I still think rice, beans, sterno and toilet paper (and maybe cigarettes) are better investments than gold. :)

I think the "heal us" category can cover a LOT of ground. ;) Like, mascara is healing to my soul because I am emotionally damaged by how awful I look without it. How's that? LOL

Yeah, I can go with that! If there weren't an area for "making our home aesthetically appealing," I'd go a little nuts. ;) So providing for that would be under the "healing" category, you're right. No offense against Barry (I'm sure he's got it all under control!), but that list sounded like something my husband would write -- thinking it was complete because it addresses all the practical issues.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I plan to do the 72-hour kits and a larger "ready" kit to have on hand in case we have to scoot.

:)

Please, humor me.......I am TOTALLY clueless here (probably b/c while we DO have a television, we only watch DVDs on it - no cable, satellite, FIOS):

SCOOT to WHERE and WHY? :bigear:

Maybe I should keep the Hummer?:confused:

These threads make my anxiety level quadruple. I want to quit reading them but can't stop. Then I think - we won't ever be able to do the things necessary to sustain ourselves for years. Because if what you are describing is true a 1/4 of a cow and a few cases of frozen veggies won't cut it.

Please, humor me.......I am TOTALLY clueless here:

SCOOT to WHERE and WHY? :bigear:

Maybe I should keep the Hummer?:confused:

From our urban locale to the northwoods.

Why - because if things got really, really bad (and I don't think they will) there will be looters and other criminals trying to survive and I couldn't shoot someone to save my life.

I'm not sure what kind of mileage you get with that Hummer, but I don't think it would get as far on a tank of gas as my little Mazda.

Barry Goldwater is a very smart fellow! The big problem with America is that it believes it is invincible and what happens everywhere else and in every civilization that has lived with a government that robs Peter to pay Paul, won't somehow magically happen here.

Something has to give. The National Debt is currently 14.158 trillion dollars. We can't make the March interest payments unless congress increases our loan ceiling so WE CAN BORROW MORE MONEY TO PAY THE INTEREST. We aren't paying on the principal. Remember all of those interest only loans that caused people to lose their homes during the real estate bubble burst? That's the FED. They've kept spending and borrowing to cover that spending until they've bankrupted the nation. Every single president and congress since Lyndon B. Johnson has done this. We haven't really had a fiscally conservative president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

If every asset of every single person living within our borders including Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and all of their friends were seized, there would not be enough wealth to pay the principal balance. GDP has bombed in relation to that debt. Therefore, our nation is bankrupt. The media doesn't want to announce it, the government most certainly doesn't want to announce it, the president will never say it, but this country is for all practical purposes, bankrupt. What happened in Greece is coming. There will be austerity measures. There won't be any National Health Care - passing that was just a feel good measure to keep the illusion of prosperity alive - there isn't any money to fund it. And forget that, Social Security is going to bankrupt and take a whole lot of elderly people with it to say nothing of the 45,000,000 people that are now on food stamp assistance, most of whom desperately need it, who won't be able to get that either. It's going to be awful. The rioting in Greece and Egypt is just the beginning unless someone with some brains gets in power mighty quick, stops living in dreamland, and starts making the tough choices.

What about the collateral held on money loaned to us. Many of our federal lands, our gold and silver mines, some of our coal reserves, etc. are all collateral on these loans. If the WMF or China were to call in our loans for inability to pay, we would not be able to run our power grids. So, electricity would be doled out on a rationed basis. Think about WWII - the rationing system for fuel, electricity, food, clothing, etc. That is what will have to be implemented. If you can't produce it for yourself, you will have to make do with what the World Bank and the WMF say you can have.

So even if hyperinflation does not hit any time soon, in the next two years we will need to see VERY SERIOUS tax increases across the board, even the poor will pay more, in order to limp along a government on austerity measures. Everyone should think about what it will mean to their budgets to see a much larger portion of their paycheck go to a government that will provide them with far fewer services. How does that affect your budget? If inflation and high taxes occur, what will that mean for food, utilities, and clothing those growing children.

The extension of the Bush tax cuts was done by our government to maintain an illusion that it still had everything under control, that things weren't as bad as most of the U.S. and world economists believe, that the system - as is - can still keep spinning indefinitely.

More food for thought - the national debt stands at over $45,000.00 per U.S. Citizen (that's every American man, woman, and child). It is over $127,000.00 per taxpayer. This is not a sustainable system.

I think the thing that scares me the most is the sheer amount of U.S. natural resources that are held in debt collatoral. They've mortgaged our future, our children's future, and our grandchildren's future.

Faith

Yeah, I can go with that! If there weren't an area for "making our home aesthetically appealing," I'd go a little nuts. ;) So providing for that would be under the "healing" category, you're right. No offense against Barry (I'm sure he's got it all under control!), but that list sounded like something my husband would write -- thinking it was complete because it addresses all the practical issues, but it didn't address very real, God-given things in me.

My DW hasn't worn makeup since our wedding day, 20 yrs ago...

BUT lest ye think me a heartless cad,:D on my survival list is a lifetime supply of salsa, cheddar cheese and nacho chips, and many fuzzy blankets...

A 'must have' list is in the eye of the beholder!:001_smile:

From our urban locale to the northwoods.

Why - because if things got really, really bad (and I don't think they will) there will be looters and other criminals trying to survive and I couldn't shoot someone to save my life.

I hear you -- dh does talk about this. I think I would learn to shoot. I could do that.

I'm not sure what kind of mileage you get with that Hummer, but I don't think it would get as far on a tank of gas as my little Mazda.

Not great mileage with the Hummer, but that is not why we bought it. I LOVE my Hummer -- truly. We could get to the boonies on a tank of gas....and be safe the entire ride. But, yes, you would definitely get alot farther in your Mazda.

The biggest lesson I learned here in DC on 9/11 was to have CASH.

These threads make my anxiety level quadruple. I want to quit reading them but can't stop. Then I think - we won't ever be able to do the things necessary to sustain ourselves for years. Because if what you are describing is true a 1/4 of a cow and a few cases of frozen veggies won't cut it.

nobody KNOWS the future...maybe we're all wrong...for me, being prepared for a disruption in current lifestyle has reduced my anxiety considerably and helps me sleep at night...but I still don't know how to remove an appendix with a gardening spade, or rewire a cell phone to make a lunar lander, so I might not be prepared enough...who knows...do what you think is appropriate for you, and just live. Don't sweat it! And don't forget prayer, too. :)

Kymberley -- I agree with you -- And not to pooh-pooh anyone here because I actually do believe that what they are saying is true and totally possible in light of the circumstances that Faithe cites in her post, BUT three or so years ago, there were women on this board who were FREAKING OUT over Glenn Beck's 'Perfect Day' scenario -- some were going to keep their kids home from school and they were just besides themselves with fear.

I intend to keep a level head, and begin making preparations. That makes sense to me. I don't intend to freak out or freak out my children. My husband is unflappable so I cannot freak him out -- he would probably give me a pat on the back for deciding to prepare.

This is what comes to my mind:

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you

But make allowance for their doubting too,

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t deal in lies,

Or being hated, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give way to hating,

And yet donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamĂ¢â‚¬â€œand not make dreams your master,

If you can thinkĂ¢â‚¬â€œand not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build Ă¢â‚¬Ëœem up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Hold on!Ă¢â‚¬

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kingsĂ¢â‚¬â€œnor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;

If all men count with you, but none too much,

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty secondsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s in it,

AndĂ¢â‚¬â€œwhich is moreĂ¢â‚¬â€œyouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be a Man, my son!

Ă¢â‚¬â€œRudyard Kipling And now I am going to go and take photos of the tee-pee and other stuff my kids are building in the backyard. I'll check back here later.:)

what impact would a 50% increase in the cost of your food, home heating fuel, and gasoline do to your family budget? Just food for thought...

If such an increase would just mean living more frugally, is there reason to worry? Maybe it's b/c DH and I both work in the 'top ten' in-demand job fields, but prices increasing just means we'd have to watch our budget more carefully and live like we were lower-middle-class income instead of more comfortably with 'extras' like we are now.

One thing to remember is to start small and manageable and to gradually increase your knowledge and investment in preparedness. I reccomended the Sharon Astyk sites because while there is alot of information there you can look at it in relatively manageable bites. The fact the she is a homeschooling mother is a nice bonus.

Not great mileage with the Hummer, but that is not why we bought it. I LOVE my Hummer -- truly. We could get to the boonies on a tank of gas....and be safe the entire ride. But, yes, you would definitely get alot farther in your Mazda.

The biggest lesson I learned here in DC on 9/11 was to have CASH.

I'm thinking you mean on hand, not in the bank. If, God forbid, another 9/11 type crisis were to happen how much cash do you think is reasonable?

I'm a very ordinary person, but I've lived through bouts of 100+% annual inflation, civil unrest, a 2 month national strike, 2.5 weeks without electricity, mudslides and hurricanes. Honestly, you'll be fine just by keeping abreast of what's going on around you and making sure you keep at least a month of food and necessities on hand. Make sure you have enough water and gas on hand and that your food is edible without cooking or that you have a campstove. It's rare that a crisis strikes without any prior warning or buildup (except for earthquakes).

I personally try to make sure that we could eat most of our frozen food within a week during hurricane season because I hate tossing stuff. In the winter, I stock up more. We try to diversify our savings and we haven't bought gold. I remember the early 80s gold craze and my parents' Krugerrands (they eventually lost more than 80% of their value when the gold market corrected). I wouldn't buy beachfront property because I'd worry too much about it being washed away by storm surge.

In general, keep calm and think through what you'll need to face the situation. It's very unlikely that civilization will collapse overnight, it IS likely that you'll have to deal with a hurricane, earthquake, or blizzard. That's very doable if you prepare. Oh, and the 100+% inflation was also very doable if you shopped carefully and bought nonperishables, you wanted to ditch the unstable currency as fast as you got paid.