Menu

Third try... a passion poll

Janice in NJ

A Passion Poll  

1. 1. A Passion Poll

Note to self... don't try to start a poll unless you have the TIME to finish it. Apparently the board software only gives you twenty minutes to finish. I keep getting pulled away...

Third try....

Trying a poll.

I've always been curious about the demographic here. TWTM is such a strong literary education, but with solid math, science, and critical thinking goals folded into it.

Where do YOUR passions lie. (I'm trying to ignore my kids here - just thinking about me....) And you?

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

P.S. The poll software keeps limiting the character length of my "choices." So I'll post them here and then you can just choose. Sound cool?

#1. I came to hsing passionate about History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy. I didn't (and still don't) like Math and/or Science.

#2. I came to hsing passionate about Math and/or Science. I didn't (and still don't) like History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy.

#3. I came to hsing passionate about History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy. I am learning to enjoy Math and/or Science, but I wouldn't call it passion. I have remained true to my first love.

#4. I came to hsing passionate about Math and/or Science. I am learning to enjoy History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy, but I wouldn't call it passion. I have remained true to my first love.

#5. I came to hsing passionate about History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy. I have done a reversal. I still love History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy, but I have become passionate about Math and/or Science. Where has this been all of my life? I love this stuff!

#6. I came to hsing passionate about Math and/or Science. I have done a reversal. I still love Math and/or Science, but I have become passionate about History, Literature, Writing, and/or Philosophy. Where has this been all of my life? I love this stuff!

#7. None of the above. (Explain please....:))

#8. I'm passionate about chocolate. The rest of this is just a necessary evil. :):):)

Peace,

Janice

home schooling period. I did it because my dh said it sounded like a great idea. I thought it was crazy!:o

I went into it with the mindset that I would prove him absolutely wrong no matter what. The only home schoolers I had known up to this point were people who were very anti-social, anti-establishment, anti-everything, paranoid, strangers who were not wanting their kids to go outside the house let alone mix with the heathens in the public school.

But, thankfully, I was proved wrong! I love it now and am passionate about everything home schooling!:D

My true passion about homeschooling came from not wanting my son to be the "new" kid every year. We're a military family and from K-2nd he would have started a new school each year. PS K was great he had a wonderful teacher with the patience of a Saint who truly loved teaching young kids. Then we moved and 1st grade was a disaster. His teacher didn't understand that he didn't go to school for K with all the other kids he didn't know all the basic rules of the school because he was new. There is much much more that was worse which lead to him crying each day and finally while my dh and I were on a trip looking for a new house (my mom was in the other state watching the kids) my dh turned to me and said "You always said you wanted to hs our kids. Do you still want to do that?" I almost fell out of my seat. I had always wanted to but thought he didn't. It was the best thing he could have said. We came home pulled our son out and haven't looked back. We've also moved twice since then and our son is only in 3rd grade, so it is definately the best decission we've ever made for the kids. They are happy and love learning.

Now as to the subjects, I came to hsing with a definate love for math, I really do love it. Coming in a close second are history and science. I still dislike LA but I'm learning to like it. I think learning to like LA for me was a matter of getting the right curriculum because now I'm learning things I never understood with my almost 4th grade son. He's just starting grammar and GWG is helping us both to understand it.

Cool. I hear ya, Lori. Lover of all things math here too. I would love to have subdivided this poll BIG TIME - into about 30 possible choices. But as you can see, I had a hard enough time posting the poll as it was.

In fact, I was actually starting to feel like a real dolt. THREE TRIES???? How hard could this be. Right?

I think I'll go stand in the shower and mentally compute cube roots or something in order to regain my self-esteem. LOL Hmmmm.... it probably won't do much for my self esteem - but at least I'll smell better. :-)

Sometimes I'm just amazed at how much pleasure I've learned to take in the little things .... does that mean that my brain is growing or shrinking? :-)

Enjoy your little people!

Enjoy your journey!

I was passionate about Literature, Languages and Science and still am. I hated Math. History was neutral.

I'm still passionate about those things, but I've learned to be more relaxed about them and have fun! I like History better now because ds loves it. I shove my hate for Math down deep because ds struggles with it and I don't want to convey my own prejudices about it to him.

My passion in homeschooling is more about being home with my children, providing an environment that jives with my educational philosophy and our religious beliefs. I am not so much a content area person. I am more of a big picture person (for example, teaching my children how to learn, or encouraging their curiosity whatever the subject would be). But, if I have to pick a subject it would be Nature Study.

I came to hsing passionate about teaching and learning. I love all of the subjects. Really!

Did anyone else here have trouble deciding what to major in in college? Whether to go the techie side (where the jobs used to be) or the fuzzy side? Well I did. I was equally strong in math and English. I ended up with an engineering degree, then got a teaching credential in math with authorization to teach English too. But what really drew me to WTM was the chronological history. I remember taking Western Civ. as a freshman in college and wondered "why was I never taught this???" Why wait until college to learn the fascinating story of the world?

In our home school, we all enjoy learning about history most. We enjoy literature and science too. We do the nuts and bolts of math, grammar, spelling, learning to read, etc., but kind of hard to be passionate about learning times tables and spelling rules. Some stuff you just gotta work through.

I think I needed another choice.

I was, am, and always will be passionate about chocolate. I was always interested in, and have become passionate about history, writing and literature. I will never be passionate about math and science.

And I will always be passionate about being with my children 24/7!

;)

I came to hs being passionate about the journey itself. The first 3 years were rather rocky... but in this, our 4th year, the fog has lifted, we're having fun, we're learning, we've found a rhythm and it's going great!

I'm not passionate AT ALL about science. There, I said it. I like math, I'm just not very good at it:D

I always liked history and literature.

And I've always been passionate about chocolate. Who wouldn't?:)

I had to choose #8 b/c I am definitely passionate about chocolate. :)

When I started homeschooling, it was b/c I was passionate about my children. I really didn't have a passion about specific subjects at that point in my life. During college, I loved psychology (which is a good thing since I was double majoring in psy and ed.;) ) I excelled academically across the board, but I didn't really "like" it.

I really love theology. (not one of your choices) I have kids that are passionate about math, so I make sure that I *make* myself equally passionate about it.

Overall, I love literature and history the most when it comes to school subjects. I think I enjoy them the most, not b/c I love the reading,etc, but b/c I love the conversations that we have b/c of them. I thoroughly enjoy listening to how my kids process the info they have been given. Sometimes it is funny b/c they go off the deep-end of what it really means, sometimes I am totally**wowed** by their insight.

I definitely hear you about the love of all. My college majors:

1. Sound Recording (Tonmeister Studies) and Classical Piano

2. Physics and Classical Piano

3. Mechanical Engineering and Classical Piano

4. Mechanical Engineering

5. A Degree in Electrical Engineering .... with a ton of credits that didn't count. :-)

... and I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :-)

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I chose #7, other. I came to hsing passionate about their souls and their worldview - mainly because it took years for me to recover from what public schooling did to mine. As far as subjects go, I love history and math. (Maybe that's why I used to be an accountant - always keeping track of numbers representing things that had already happened, LOL).

Neat poll!

This really hit on my hs'ing (really my whole life) thoughts for this year.

I chose the option of not passionate at all, because that just describes me to a T right now. I don't really care about anything right now - I'm just going through the motions in ALL things, and trying to be a good enough wife and mother that one day my kids won't end up on Jerry Springer. :o

Jean is Wisc mentioned having *something* that you look forward to every day, and I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up eager and excited to start the day. I don't think it's homeschooling that has done this to me. I don't know - I do tend to get this way when I feel like I do the same things day after day, and am not really seeing an impact in the world anywhere.

I just have faith that things will not always feel this way, and so I keep truckin' on....

Chocolate, oh, yeah, chocolate. I didn't come in passionate about anything else :)

Okay, well, I was reasonably passionate about science and literature. I viewed math as necessary but nothing to get passionate about. I dreaded dealing with history and writing and philosophy.

I'm now far more passionate about history than I ever expected. I still dread writing. I've changed my focus entirely, so even though I adore history and science, they don't take up a whole lot of our time.

Debra

Mom of five, ages 1-10

Rhondabee,

Sending hugs!!!!! I hope you are cool. Most of my life in a slow, dull plod. Sometimes I'm cool with that, and sometimes a feel like I need to let our a Tarzan primal-scream - a real YELLLLLLLL!!!!!!! ... even if I'm the only one who hears it. :-)

So I hope you're cool. And if you're not, here's a cyberhug from me and a strong BTDT - most of the time. I hope that your day holds some smiles for you!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I don't really care about anything right now - I'm just going through the motions in ALL things, and trying to be a good enough wife and mother that one day my kids won't end up on Jerry Springer. :o....

Rhonda,

I can totally relate. I have been very lethargic about everything in our life for over a yr. Life has been like a snowball and I have felt like I have been the target. (I hate being cold....cold and wet is even worse!! ;))

I am feeling immense relief and have energy for school b/c 15 yos will be going to school. Looking over the yr, the lethargy definitely stemmed from being so overwhelmed that I couldn't function----I was on pure survival mode.

Is it possible for you to take a mini-retreat, maybe just an afternoon, and in total quiet, reflect on what is causing you the most stress or the least satisfaction if it isn't stress related? Maybe simply shaking up your school days for a couple of weeks and do unschooling type studies. Find something you are passionate about learning and let your school days revolve around an incredibly indepth, fun unit. Let the kids compile research books, read, do projects (if you like them!), etc and add in math.

I can't school like that long term, but every once and a while the break in daily routine rejuvenates me and makes me also **want** my old routine again.

Wish you could come over for some hot tea and chocolate. :)

If you are passionate about Science, what curricula are you using??

We just discovered Singapore Math, and I'm learning to be at least much more interested in Math.

I would like to be more interested (or even passionate!) about Science. We're using Calvert Science now, which is fine... but we don't often do the experiments. It's a lot of work to come up with conclusions the kids have already figured out by reading the text. But I want them to learn how to handle lab work too, you know?

I'm looking for an exciting, secular Science curriculum... non-secular publisher is ok if there isn't a lot of religion or anti-evolution thrown in there. Thanks for any replies!!

I'm passionate about history, literature, philosophy and science, at least as far as my own reading goes.

Hsing wise: Right now, I'm passionate about picture books, phonics phun and skip counting. Eventually, I do hope the kids share my passions, but for now getting the basics down pat is far more important.

I think I'm #3. I majored in history, minored in lit, so those things were certainly my passions before homeschooling and they are very much my favorite things to do with my children. But my three are young still and as we get farther into math and science, I may find I have more interest/passion for those subjects. I doubt they'll ever be comensurate passions with the humanities though. :)

Jami

Janice,

I started out passionate about Math and History/Philosophy, math because it is what I am best at and History because it was interesting for the first time ever.

Science was something...not that I didn't like, and I did cover it well, but it just didn't excite as much. Now that the kids are older it is becoming more interesting/exciting. The coming years are going to be fun.

Phonics, grammar and writing are my nemeses. Phonics I think I have finally conquered, which has given me the...determination to conquer grammar. Writing I am not concerned about because I trust CW.

Heather

I'm looking for an exciting, secular Science curriculum... non-secular publisher is ok if there isn't a lot of religion or anti-evolution thrown in there. Thanks for any replies!!

Have you looked at Read Science 4 Kids? The author is actually a Christian and Creationist, but she believes in presenting the facts and letting people/kids make up their own minds, so her material does not have the anti-evolution or pro creation stuff.

Heather

When I started hsing I loved math, history and literature. Philosophy was something for the insane. Science was okay but not my favourite. And as long as some people could write good books I was happy.

Reading WTM changed my view of philosophy and writing, I even considered trying to track down my high school philosophy teacher to tell him that he really wasn't such a weirdo. :)

Science is still ho hum for me. We read science books and if I'm feeling the need for a challenge wee do experiments.:)

DD9 is a writing geek and I make sure to nurture her interest as well as wonder if she would have had the same passion if I hadn't changed my writing views. That everyone should have the opportunity to write.

Have you looked at Read Science 4 Kids? The author is actually a Christian and Creationist, but she believes in presenting the facts and letting people/kids make up their own minds, so her material does not have the anti-evolution or pro creation stuff.

Heather

Yes, Real Science 4 Kids (I think that was a typo) is really good. We have used many levels and LOVE it.:)

OK, my secret is out. If I could just have the kids do math all day long, everyday, I would be in heaven. We do science cause my kids really like it and I know it rather well (engineer here).

History, and grammar I have learned along the way. But literature, please, do I haaaaaaave to read what they read? Do I have to read novels? and plays? and other works other than a cookbook? And Latin is a real struggle here but we do it cause I think it will be good for them.

Alrighty, now every one knows my secret. Math anyone?

Actually I'd have to say #7.

My primary passions are history and classical music, and genealogy. I love literature, but hate analyzing it and getting into it too deeply. I just love to read good books. Of course I used to hate analyzing music too and now thoroughly enjoy dissecting a piece of music, to a point. So maybe there's hope for me with literature yet. I'm not really into writing either. I struggle to write and that is the one thing that scares me the most about homeschooling. But it's something that I want my children to be able to do and do well. I look forward to learning along with them.

I've also always loved math and languages.

History in the chronological 4yr cycle, and the ability to teach religion along with every other subject was what really attracted me to homeschooling in general and TWTM in particular. Science is what I'd call my weak area, but so far I'm really enjoying science ala WTM (first grade!). I love looking at fine art too but I know relatively nothing about it. There's nothing I really don't like, but history is my true passion even though right now I feel like such a dunce. I'm learning so much from SOTW Vol. 1! I truly want to know why I never learned this stuff before!

I started homeschooling out of necessity. Some subjects are more interesting than others but I can't say I have a passion about any particular academic subject. I can say I have a passion for all things early childhood, like preK through 2nd grade. But my kids are way past that. Bummer!

You know, part of it might be this cold weather that just won't stop. (God bless anyone who lives any farther north than Tennessee!!!). =)

I will take your words to heart. Friday, my dd and I had colds, so we did Math and Spelling and spent the rest of the day reading Johnny Tremain and eating popcorn, and that was nice to have a down day. But, maybe something a bit more student-instigated would be good.

=)

Oh, you know, how can you not smile with a 2yo around?!?!?

At the same time....(sigh)

Really, I'm good. Just not great. I'd really like to be *great*, ya know? One of those super-ladies that just does it all with a smile. (Well, I might do quite a lot, but I have more of a smirk - LOL)

Well, 2yo is saying "Clean it up, Clean it up..." (no joke!), so, I'm off.

Good to hear from you, friend. I really appreciated your post on the HS Board about the Novels and WTM and all that jazz - really gotta go....

Loved & love it all! Crazy, but I can honestly say that I have always really enjoyed history, science, geography, math, foreign languages, music, art, and even (eek) grammar. Over the years I've discovered good stuff in areas I'd ignored or avoided (art? discovered graphic design, and paper crafts). I even found a way into my formerly hated topic of biology, by discovering botany (through gardening and wildflowers)!

So I'm #7, definitely -- I voted #8 by accident :)

I never knew what I was missing particularly in the history and literature areas. I only had American History in school and World History is SO much more interesting. My daughter had been trying to convince me of that for years. Why didn't I listen? Then again, why doesn't she listen to me either? LOL

I absolutely love history and literature. My favorite curriculums are Tapestry of Grace and Ambleside online. I have come to enjoy teaching math (MUS) and Science and have an appreciation for the subjects. Honestly though, if my week get crazy the first thing to be dropped in Science.

Blessings,

Lee

I am passionate about the project. I don't love any one subject, but I love a project. I love selecting curriculum, I love explaining, I love when my son gets it, I love finishing each day's work, I love finishing a year/book/class, I love seeing my son develop, I love having a plan, I love reaching a goal. I love homeschooling.

I spent 10 years as a teacher, then as a corporate trainer, then as an instructional designer, then as a manager of corporate trainers and designers. I loved all those jobs. But homeschooling is the job I love the best.

I was passionate about building solid relationships with my kids. I wanted to homeschool because I know life is short and every moment they're away from me is a teachable moment lost. Selfish, huh?

Both dh and I have had open heart surgery at a young age. We had this before we started having kids. I think that glimpse at our mortality has had a lasting affect on what we consider important. Our kids are important. And since we don't know, like everyone else, how we get to walk around on Earth we're going to put in quality time every day.

I was surprised to realize that I'd have to teach history and science. :eek:

But I knew that we'd eventually get it all figured out. Having attended a private Christian boarding school I knew that in the end it does all get done. :o

I'm thrilled to have found TWTM because it does give me a detailed directions for being organized in my least fav. subjects. LOVE, love SOTW.

This has been an interesting, thought provoking poll!

I've always enjoyed reading, but when it comes down to it I was more "mathy" than most other girls. I loved math, I was good at math, I enjoyed getting good grades in math.

When I first started researching homeschooling in general, and WTM specifically, I *thought* I wanted to be very history/literature focused.

The reality is that I have 4 boys who have a very math/logic/process minded father. They (well, at least the older 2 so far) don't seem drawn to the humanities as much as I had envisioned. My oldest is an advanced reader, but he doesn't *enjoy* reading the way I envisioned he would. He enjoys doing math, he enjoys getting correct answers, he enjoys learning about science.

I definitely enjoy teaching math more than any other subject!

So I voted number 4 in your poll, as that most closely relates to how I felt before homeschooling compared to how I feel now (ignoring all the years in between when homeschooling was more theoretical).

I'm a #3. I love Algebra and I like science when I'm in the midst of it, but I'm not passionate about doing it when we're not, um, doing it. History, Literature, Writing, and Philosophy on the other hand, I adore. love0010.gif

Same here - #3. I wasn't paying attention, and clicked on the wrong # in the poll, so I'm posting under Karen to clarify. :)

I have to agree with Barbara! I love it all. School was always easy for me and I always wanted more. What I did not enjoy was having to slow down. I have one child that is passionate about learning and most things come easily to him. The other two definitely have their passions. I love that we can address all of our needs. I always tell people I homeschool as much for my children as I do for myself. All the things we have time to learn is just fascinating! WTM struck a cord with me because it seemed to cover many things I always wanted to learn.

I still love History, Science, Literature, Writing, Grammar, Art and Music but I have become passionate about Math, Spelling, Latin, and Logic.

Can you tell I love to learn too. Math and Spelling was my worst subjects when I was in school. Now I'm learning with my children and that is fun. :p