Menu

I need hairstyle help! Help me pick a new cut for tomorrow!

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. I need help picking a new style.

My hair is super-thick, curly, but not quite curly enough iykwim, and not straight enough to do straight. :confused:

Anyone care to pick out a new "do" for me? Links with pictures would be appreciated.

Hopefully I'm attaching a recent picture. In the picture I've blown my hair dry so it has practically no curl at all, but most of the time my hair looks like my avatar pix. I'm the heavy gal in the middle! :D

post-517-13535084360117_thumb.jpg

I think my hair looks frumpy--pretty much like it has no style at all. :glare:

I have to blow it dry and use the curling iron for it to look nice, and it takes forever because my hair is pretty long. I guess I'm thinking shoulder-length, which would take quite a bit off the back. I've been told I need to keep the bangs, but I'm just sick and tired of the same old look.

Man, do I miss the Farrah feathered hair look! That one was easy! :tongue_smilie:

Okay, so I would take a few inches off at a time and evaluate. I am not very adventurous when it comes to hair as you can see.

But if you think you can go shorter by a few inches at a time you can always cut more off. If you don't like the bangs anymore, have you tried parting it on one side and brushing it to the other? I actually thought your avatar pic looked like that but avatars are so small and it's hard to tell.

A friend of mine used to push her bangs straight back (exposed her forehead) with clips and wore it like that for a while to see if she would like it. That way they will grow anyway and you could leave it that way or cut them again if it's a no go.

Sorry, I have no pics to link to.

If you are willing to pay more, you can possibly find a salon that does computer imaging with your face and a style you pick. Evidently, they save all the pics and you get to take them home. My SIL had this done - more for fun than anything else.

I love your naturally wavy hair! I think the Faith Hill haircut would look great on you. Your avatar pic is very small, but from what I can see, the FH cut looks similar except for the length. The new cut seems easy to care for too.

What's with the "heavy" comment?! You look stick thin in your avatar, and that's just wrong especially when we read constantly of your delicious desserts. We are worth so much as moms, as wives, as beautiful children of God. It hurts me to see someone label themselves like that. Maybe I'm just hormonal this morning or need a lot more coffee. Or both. :grouphug:

Post a follow up picture, will you?

You could easily say that you're the beautiful one in the middle and that those are your daughters not your sisters!!! :D You have a beautiful family!

I think your hair looks great both ways you have it, but I understand wanting to do something totally different. I think the medium shag would look great! You'll probably find that your hair will curl a lot more when it's short as the weight isn't holding down the curls. Post pics after it's done! :)

My hair is super-thick, curly, but not quite curly enough iykwim, and not straight enough to do straight. :confused:

Anyone care to pick out a new "do" for me? Links with pictures would be appreciated.

Hopefully I'm attaching a recent picture. In the picture I've blown my hair dry so it has practically no curl at all, but most of the time my hair looks like my avatar pix. I'm the heavy gal in the middle! :D

Well, I think you are so pretty, Julie. I can not tell, but do you have "fine" hair, but alot of it, OR thick aka alot of hair, but fine in diameter?

I tried to increase your avatar pic, but it went to your profile.

What's with the "heavy" comment?! You look stick thin in your avatar, and that's just wrong especially when we read constantly of your delicious desserts.

What's truly ironic is that I *never* eat dessert! :D

I have to force myself to take a bite of some things as a sample/taste, but left on my own, I have dessert only about once every 6 months or so.

No, my problem is carbs. I'll take big bowl of pasta over dessert any day.

p.s. I have no idea how the avatar photo came out looking so slim...I must have been turned at just the right angle or something! :tongue_smilie:

Hi, Julie. Your family pic was adorable. My thoughts:

1. My hair and face are similar to yours, except I think I have a bit more "wave" in my hair (and I do NOT look like I'm fifteen, LOL). I've had my hair cut all sorts of ways, and I never really like it to be short(er) in the front/sides, near my face. It seems to make my whole hair cut look "too short," even if there is length in the back. And, because my hair gets curlier when it's shorter, the sides "puff" up and look too short for the shape of my face.

2. When I have too much bulk on top, it just goes flat. In the back, it starts to look... well, like you said, "frumpy." I get that feeling, too. Where's the shape? ;) I think if you get some bulk off the top, get some layers in there, also get some of the length off the back, but NOT too much off the sides (in the front, near your face), it will look very stylish and feel like it has more shape to it.

3. I also agree about the ponytail comment -- shorter hair makes that impossible to do -- but since I never look good in a PT, anyway, I never bother. It's much easier to have everyday-hair that looks okay without a lot of work than it is to fuss most days. HTH.

Whatever you do, remember: Hair grows. So it'll be no harm to try something different, right?

As a person who has very thick slightly wavy hair, be careful about layers. I've had layers start around the level of my nose and the result is what I call "mushroom head". Usually if the layers begin close to my chin, the weight of my hair pulls it down where I don't get the mushroom. I think the stacked bob would work nicely with the layering. I may try that for my next haircut. Also, I use a large rod curling iron to straighten my hair - it goes pretty fast. The thing with shorter hair is that it takes a lot less time to make look nice. I can tell when it's getting too long because I'm spending too much time on it.

Beth

Lots and lots of hair, but I'd say it's on the finer side, not really coarse at all.

(And y'all should lay off the compliments, 'cause I'm truly :blushing:) :001_smile:

Well, frankly, I think a classic and timeless look, yet beautiful and sophiscated as well as playful too (whew), would be what you have been perhaps a little shorter. And, maybe medium layers. You could try letting it dry naturally and drying with a flat brush to play around with it.

Did you say if you wanted to keep your hair long or can you cut it some?

The thing with shorter hair is that it takes a lot less time to make look nice. I can tell when it's getting too long because I'm spending too much time on it.

Beth

Ain't that the truth! My hair is just too long, and it takes a long time to fix up, then looks unstyled afterwards. :glare:

I haven't read the responses but I really hope you will at least try to do what I recommend at some point in your life. You've been blessed with wonderful hair and it would work perfectly!!!

I would add some long layers into it and then what I'd try is to just get out of the shower and put some mousse in your hair and then scrunch it. You will probably get the curls you desire. My hair is straight, straight, straight but when I went camping a few years back, I'd get out of the lake, put in some mousse and then scrunch it real good, repeating a few times as it dried. It looked REALLY nice! I know it would work beautifully with hair like yours! And it would be SO easy.

If you look like your avatar most of the time, I'm assuming you use a straightening iron. Please at least just try what I say.

I wish I had your hair!

BTW, GREAT family picture!!!

Well, frankly, I think a classic and timeless look, yet beautiful and sophiscated as well as playful too (whew), would be what you have been perhaps a little shorter. And, maybe medium layers. You could try letting it dry naturally and drying with a flat brush to play around with it.

Did you say if you wanted to keep your hair long or can you cut it some?

Definitely cut some. Thanks for the ideas!

Ok, where have I been on this thread? I guess the snow outside is calling me to come play in it with my dd. :lol:

You DO want curls? Then by all means keep the cut you have, med/long layers. Now if you have TOO MUCH hair, have them thin it. BUT, make sure your hairdresserr is experienced doing this. Please know that layers will give the appearance of having more volume to your hair. So med/long layers will help to "pull" down the hair some. If you want it super curly, then you'd go shorter, but beware you may have too much.

I would angle cut your bangs which will give a "slight" lift if you so desire.

I would really dry your hair naturally and see if you even like that. Then proceed to brush etc.

In any event, you are now hereby expected to show a new pic of the new do on you! :D

Ok, I really like Faith's hair-do but I agree about the ponytail thing. I looked at the first two pages of the second link and I think all of the following would look good and they all look long enough to have a ponytail but short enough to keep their shape:

Rebecca's

Meg's (first one)

Nicole's (the one you asked about)

Rachel's

Alyssa's (it looks like yours is a little curlier but the cut would work for you)

Mary J.'s (this looks like a slightly more modern Farrah cut and I think it would work for you)

Kim's

The good thing about most of these is that you could wash, mousse and go with a curly look or you could blow dry for a more polished look and they all look long enough to still do a ponytail if you don't layer too much in the front. You have great hair with plenty of body so I think a lot of cuts would work for you. I agree that you look pretty young.

Julie, I just now saw this link. Yes, that is stunning and what I was describing. However, her hair is "swept" back a bit in her little curls. That is beautiful and you could wear it straight down perhaps too for 2 looks in 1. My hairstylist who is the best said if you have a high forehead a woman should wear bangs. If you have a short forehead so to speak then wear bangs. My forehead is short, but I didn't want a school girl look of straight bangs across the forehead. So, my hair dresser cuts my bangs angled and longer, off to the side.

Remember pic of new do on you!

KidsHappen, where are you referencing all the names? I feel like I've missed another link.

I think you have WAY too much hair to pull this off. (the FaithHill cut)

My hair is much like yours. I wear it long with no bangs and I straighten it. It is too my bra line and layered slightly...very long layers just to cope with how thick it is. When I don't straighten my hair it looks just like your picture here....and well *I* feel frumpy too so I know what you mean.

Why have you been told to keep the bangs? I grew mine out 10 years ago---best decision I ever made.

I'd just go get it shaped up and slightly layered and buy a good straightener.

But that is me...very non risky when it comes to my hair. :tongue_smilie:

I also have hair like yours: same color too! Mine is thick and mostly wavy, curly in some places. Mainly annoying.

I've done best and get the most compliments when I ask the stylist of "long layered bob." I like mine at chin length, but that isn't as short as you might think.

The long layers give a sense of length. I wouldn't go to short layers.

I've had the shag like the Faith Hill photo and that's okay, but the bob seems to be the best.

I use gel in the a.m. and blow it straight with a round brush. It lasts all day and looks good. Better than my long look.

Alley

I have hair just like yours, and I recently did something that I LOVE. It's called a keratin treatment. They brush it on in sections and then flat iron it. It gave my semi-curly, semi-frizzy hair a silky sheen that is straight and smooth. Now I just blow-dry it and lightly hit it with the flat iron. I also went with the straight across bang look instead of the side swoop thing. I decided to keep my length since everyone is doing the new bang look with longer hair, but it would be just as cute with shoulder length. The keratin treatment lasts 6 weeks, but mine is going strong at 8. Just another idea :)

I also have hair like yours: same color too! Mine is thick and mostly wavy, curly in some places. Mainly annoying.

I've done best and get the most compliments when I ask the stylist of "long layered bob." I like mine at chin length, but that isn't as short as you might think.

The long layers give a sense of length. I wouldn't go to short layers.

I've had the shag like the Faith Hill photo and that's okay, but the bob seems to be the best.

I use gel in the a.m. and blow it straight with a round brush. It lasts all day and looks good. Better than my long look.

Alley

I also have hair that is not quite curly, but definitely not straight. I've had a stacked bob since September, and I have never had so many compliments on my hair. It still requires a little more work than I'd like, but not as much as when it was long. Since I can't put it in a ponytail, I have to "fix it" unless the stars align just right and it actually looks good when I wake up in the morning. I don't have bangs because I have a low forehead, but sideswept bangs look great with a stacked bob.

I'm the last person anyone should go to about hairstyling advice.

I'm just posting to say I looked at that picture several times to be sure, and you look like you are 15 years old. How in the world did you accomplish that?!

:iagree:I had to really look to figure out who the mom was.:)

I haven't read through all the posts, but I did see your link for the Faith Hill cut. Too Short! But, I don't like short hair...just me.

I did want to say though that I had to do a double take with the family pic to figure out which one was the mom! LOL I looked back and forth and you and your DD a couple times. You look soooooo YOUNG!

Heres an idea though. Your hair is thick and wavy. I have the same type of hair. I use something on my hair every morning so that it isn't so thick and wavy that I buy in the drug store or Target. I can't think of the name of it at the moment. If you are interested, then just PM me. My hairdresser has been trying to talk me into a Keratin treatment for months now and I keep refusing. Not because I don't want it, but I have had issues with hair loss and am just scared. But that might be something for you to think about it. I have seen the results and they are AMAZING! I was at the salon getting my hair done one day and the girl next to me was getting the Keratin treatment. I was there the whole time from start to finish and let me tell you.....LIKE DAY AND NIGHT! It was BEAUTIFUL! If you do a google search, you will find lots of info.

As a person who has very thick slightly wavy hair, be careful about layers. I've had layers start around the level of my nose and the result is what I call "mushroom head". Usually if the layers begin close to my chin, the weight of my hair pulls it down where I don't get the mushroom. I think the stacked bob would work nicely with the layering. I may try that for my next haircut. Also, I use a large rod curling iron to straighten my hair - it goes pretty fast. The thing with shorter hair is that it takes a lot less time to make look nice. I can tell when it's getting too long because I'm spending too much time on it.

Beth

:iagree:Yes, that's what I meant by "poofs" -- I hate those, especially when I repeatedly said to the person cutting my hair, "Please, not too short on the sides, or I'll look like a poodle." :glare: Mushroom head. That's a good way to explain it.

It is shoulder-length, and so far I really like it. We'll see how it looks the first time I have to do it myself. :001_huh:

I'll try to post a picture soon, though it won't be today. If any of you are pray-ers, I could use them today for myself and dd (her name is Amy). We are off to the big city to see the pediatric endocrinologist today. That's about 2 hrs. south, and with long wait times in the office, so we will be gone from 9:30-3:00 for that. Once we're home, we will have about a half-hour to recover before we head out in the other direction to the orthodontist. That's about a 45 minute drive each way, so we'll be gone from 3:30-6:00 for that. This is the appointment where they'll be cramming spacers between her teeth for a palate expander next week. Between the endocrinologist and the orthodontist and the long drives, not a fun day for dd. :sad:

It is shoulder-length, and so far I really like it. We'll see how it looks the first time I have to do it myself. :001_huh:

I'll try to post a picture soon, though it won't be today. If any of you are pray-ers, I could use them today for myself and dd (her name is Amy). We are off to the big city to see the pediatric endocrinologist today. That's about 2 hrs. south, and with long wait times in the office, so we will be gone from 9:30-3:00 for that. Once we're home, we will have about a half-hour to recover before we head out in the other direction to the orthodontist. That's about a 45 minute drive each way, so we'll be gone from 3:30-6:00 for that. This is the appointment where they'll be cramming spacers between her teeth for a palate expander next week. Between the endocrinologist and the orthodontist and the long drives, not a fun day for dd. :sad:

:grouphug: