Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week two

Last week I read The Cross and the Switchblade. I actually read this as as teen and as I reread it, I realized this book probably had a big impact on my desire to work with delinquent teens in college.

Started Count of Monte Cristo and am really enjoying it so far.

This is on my list. I love this story (okay, so I love the movie with Daniel Day Lewis; can you blame me?)

lisa

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Phantom Tollbooth which my dd is reading as an assignment. It was fine, but not really on my list of favorite childhood books, as I know it is for some people.

My daughter and I read that last week for the first week of the challenge. I agree with you! It had its moments but definitely, definitely not one of my favorite children's books!

I read...

1. Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) - de Becker, Gavin

EVERY parent should read that book!

I'm reading John Holt's Instead of Education: Ways to Help People do Things Better

I bought it a year ago, but have been a little afraid to read it. :001_unsure:

I need to put that one on my list, I would like to read it, too.

I finished The Sunne of Splendor this weekend and loved it. History has really given Richard III a bad rap!

I want to read that one, too. My library doesn't have it, I'll need to order it from ILL. Maybe I'll do it just before we leave for Florida for a few weeks- I hear it's long and I won't likely run out of pages before I run out of vacation heh.

This is on my list. I love this story (okay, so I love the movie with Daniel Day Lewis; can you blame me?)

lisa

No, I can't blame you. :lol:

Anyway!

This week, my daughter and I are reading "Skellig" by David Almond together (features a homeschooled character and a half man, half owl/angel thing (with a grumpy disposition as of early in the story) that a boy discovers in the run down garage of his family's new home...

And I am reading "The Virgin's Lover" by Philippa Gregory on my own. I really enjoy her books.

We are continuing with "Ben and Me" by Robert Lawson for school this week. It's cute but nothing to write home about.

And my daughter is reading the second book in the "Wright On Time" series ("Utah") (homeschooling family goes state to state in their RV) on her own. It's a very quick read for her and she's enjoying it, she finished the first in the series (Arizona) last week.

This week I finished

1. The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle That Changed the World by W. Cleon Skousen and reviewed it on my blog. Great book!

2. Lose 200 Pounds This Weekend by Don Aslett. It was OK. I'll review it later today.

On the shelf for this week Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle and Watership Down by Adams

Edited by Narrow Gate Academy
Fix links

This week I read Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey Series.

The Iron King, Winter's Passage, a prelude to the sequel, and The Iron Daughter.

I read a lot of YA and fantasy is my favorite genre. I almost didn't read them when I saw "Harlequin Teen". I hate Harlequin books, I despise the entire Romance genre. I don't object to romance, but I want it to stem from a great plot line and story, not BE the plot line and story.

In any case, I couldn't resist these due to their premise. King Oberon had a half fey daughter who discovers who she is on her 16th birthday when her 4 year old half brother is exchanged for a changeling.

An avid Shakespeare lover, who could resist delving into a world with Oberon, Titania, Queen Mab and the irrepressible Robin Goodfellow?

Add into the Nevernever a plot twist stemming from technology and gadgets in our world and you get a whole new world of faery. Julie Kagawa did an amazing job putting together a highly engaging story and I look forward to reading more of her work.

There is a lot of lighter reading for me this year and I am fine with that. These are alongside keeping up with my dd's Omnibus I readings so I have plenty of heavy stuff already. :D

This week I am reading through some of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series and am rapidly becoming an addict.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
add

I didn't finish the book I said I was reading for the week - instead I read Black Beauty for the first time. While I guess it may not "count" since it is a children's book, I will count it for myself. I REALLY enjoyed it, I can't believe I've never read it before!

:)

Here's the answer I received when I asked about children's books in week one. I brought it over from the second page of the first week since I remembered it because I'd asked about it (and everyone):). I asked because I often read books my dc are reading so that we can discuss them, because I'm looking for something they'll like (used to be for my dd's, now mostly for ds) and there are only so many reading hours per week. Also, there are kids books out there that have more to them then some books for adults (thinking y/a lit vs adult fluff).

In reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count. Hope this helps.
Edited by Karin

I finished Glamorous Powers, am almost finished with City of Man, and have begun That Distant Land (Wendell Berry) and With the Master in the School of Tested Faith (a Bible study on the book of James.)

We have taken ds and his two Chinese friends to the airport, and they head back to university today. This means today is our first day back to school after a long, busy Christmas break. I'm wondering whether I will now have more or less time for reading. Hopefully more.

I am already off to a rough start lol...I am still working on My Antonia, I have 2 more books left so about 20 chapters. I am enjoying it but just short on reading time.

That said I have decided to do a side challenge for myself...because my kids are little still, I realized that I am reading a lot of picture books so I want to see if I can read 100 NEW to them picture books. So this would be pictures books that we read for the first time, not the ones I read over and over at bedtime, naptime, all day long time. So this week we have been reading through my new Beatrix Potter picture books.

The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies

The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse

The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes

I started Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America and have almost finished it. I am not sure what I will read next. I am waiting on a few books I requested at the library. If they don't come it, I'll have to pull something from my own shelf.

I read that a few years ago and apparently didn't take much of it to heart; I dropped out of college, worked as a waitress, and lived in a sketchy part of town for a few years after that. I can't remember whether or not the author wanted to change society or what those changes would have been. I wonder if I'd still feel the same about her conclusions. I might reread that one.

I finished the Teaching Gap. I liked it but I wish there had been more elaboration on some of the specific lesson plans. I'm getting started on Liping Ma's book. I know that the goal of that particular book isn't really the particular lessons it discusses but I'm enjoying the way it lays out the lessons. I guess what I really ought to do is find translations from publications outlining the way specific lessons are taught in other countries.

I'm also still working on Last Child in the Woods. I don't agree with everything in it, but it's made me more willing to bundle up my children and bring them outside in this awful snow.

lisa

The Count of Monte Cristo is one book that I say the movie is so much better than the book. The movie has a happy ending. The book doesn't. I like happy endings.

Started Sleepless in America. We're having issues here - I need to get DD's sleep habits straightened out.

That's on my list too. I love her other book.

I've added a few more books to my list. If only my dc would teach themselves and I could read all day. ;)

Last week I finished:

• Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time: The Historical Jesus and the Heart of Contemporary Faith

• Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid: A Survival Guide for Ordinary Parents of Special Children

• Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential

• Parenting a Child with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

QUOTE]

How was Smart but Scattered?

Last week I was able to read Sense & Sensibility (graphic novel), The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Lawana Blackwell), and this morning I finished the second book in that series, The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter. Nothing serious I know, but I read mostly for relaxation and pleasure so I'm not worried about the lack of brain taxation!

I wasn't totally thrilled with the graphic novel. The story line left me wanting to go back and read the novel again (it is on my list for this year) and I wasn't very pleased with the artwork. In fact, by the end of the story I didn't like the art at all. It didn't compliment the story, in my opinion, and the people were all too ugly for my liking! :001_smile:

I am finding the Blackwell books to be a little slower than most other books that I've read, but they are still interesting and I am enjoying them.

For this week I'll be reading the third book in the Blackwell series, and then may either read Sense and Sensibility or Moby Dick.

Dh has wanted me to read Moby Dick for a long time. He has read it several times himself, so he's not requiring any torture of me that he's not already experienced! :001_smile:

Ds8 has been doing quite a bit of reading. This past week he read 3 Hardy Boys books and 4 Encyclopedia Brown books. He finished another Hardy Boys book this morning, Hunting For Hidden Gold, and will start another one later today. When that's done he's planning to read 2 Encyclopedia Brown books and then 2 more Hardy Boys books (he couldn't decide which series to read first, so he's reading two of one, then two of the other and repeating the pattern).

The Count of Monte Cristo is one book that I say the movie is so much better than the book. The movie has a happy ending. The book doesn't. I like happy endings

:w00t: What! Oh, forget reading that one, then. Don't even tell me, I don't want to know. Daniel, um, I mean, Edmond, is living happily in my mind with his true love.

Lisa

Both excellent choices for beginning the new year. The Help was one of my best reads in 2009 and The Book Thief was one of 2010's best. Now how are you going to top those for week 3?

I'm expecting a baby any day now, so I may have a few weeks of major fluff while I'm dealing with sleepless nights! I'm definitely getting lots of recommendations from these threads.

I read The Devil in the White City, which was very good. Kind of creepily fascinating in a trainwreck way.

That was one of my books from week 1, too. I also read Pagan Christianity?, One Corpse Too Many, and The Language of Secrets (not recommended). I am trying to keep up with writing mini-reviews of them at my blog.

This week I plan to read So Big by Edna Farber, and Lady Macbeth by Susan King. I saw Susan King's books recommended on someone else's Amazon wishlist, although now I don't recall whose!

Edited by OC Mom

I finished The Happiness Project and I really loved it. I am starting my own happiness project as a result, and it has given me much food for thought. It is not really a "how to be happy" self help book so much as a "stunt journalism" book...she took a year to research what other people have learned that makes them happy, including saints, and apply as much as she can to her own life- and write about her experiment. It involves a lot of resolutions...such as resolutions to not criticise her husband so much, to make more friends, to be generous, to imitate spiritual people, to be present for her kids more...but she is clear that everyone's happiness project would be different and unique. She picked a different theme to work on each month, and she had a checklist to keep herslef accountable. I am having fun with it.

I love this book! I read it last year and also listed to the audio book read by the author. And I have started listening to it again. It is so inspiring to listen to Gretchen read aloud about her own project. It's available from audible.com - highly recommended!

I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I'm loving it - it's been on my shelf for over a year, I don't know why I didn't pick it up until now.

I got a head start on my reading this year by powering through The Hunger Games trilogy in the first week. I will make it to 52 this year!

I didn't know there was a movie! That will be my reward for getting through the book ;)

My daughter and I both consider The Count of Monte Cristo one of our favorite books, so I was thrilled to find this movie version a couple of weeks ago, and even more thrilled that it received good reviews. It's from 2002, with Jim Caviezal as Dantes.

Haven't watched it yet, but looking forward to it.

Last week I read "A Tale of Two Cities" and "Pride and Prejuidice." This week I'm reading "Jane Eyre" and will start "The Case for a Creator."

That is crazy fast reading!!!:blink: How did you manage to fit that all in?

Last week I finished For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay and started Little Clearing in the Woods by Maria D. Wilkes.

I've been considering For the Children's Sake. Is it worth reading?

I finished Grand River and Joy. For this week, I'm working on The God Delusion and continuing with Jane Eyre.

Last week's book was Lady's Maid by Margaret Forster.

I couldn't have started the year with a better book. It was a completely engrossing story about poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning and her long-time personal maid.

I found it a fascinating glimpse into the lives of women in Victorian society as well as a riveting account of how one person's devotion to another can border on the excessive.

While I did find the story heart-wrenching, I thought it was wonderfully told, and historically interesting.

My second book of the year is Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far...

Book two for me is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I finished reading it aloud for the second time. I will also finish A Single Shard tomorrow. My kids and I enjoyed both of those. I'm working on Rhe Fiery Cross in my free reading time and hope to finish it for week 3.

Finished St. Augustine's Sermons for Christmas and Epiphany.

Rejoice, you who are just. It is the birthday of Him who justifies.

Rejoice, you who are weak and sick. It is the birthday of Him who makes well.

Rejoice, you who are in captivity. It is the birthday of the Redeemer.

Rejoice, you who are slaves. It is the birthday of the Master.

Rejoice, you who are free. It is the birthday of Him who makes free.

Rejoice, you Christians all. It is Christ's birthday.

1. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

That is crazy fast reading!!!:blink: How did you manage to fit that all in?

:) I got a Nook for Christmas and loaded a pile of ebooks onto it and didn't worry about housecleaning, cooking, doing school or taking down decorations.

I think I'll only get one read this week, though, we're back at school and everybody needs clean underwear.

Last week's book was Lady's Maid by Margaret Forster.

I couldn't have started the year with a better book. It was a completely engrossing story about poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning and her long-time personal maid.

I found it a fascinating glimpse into the lives of women in Victorian society as well as a riveting account of how one person's devotion to another can border on the excessive.

While I did find the story heart-wrenching, I thought it was wonderfully told, and historically interesting.

I was looking forward to your review! This book sounds right up my alley!! But talk about a let down. I found out my library had this book and I scooted joyfully off to check it out only to find it not on the shelf. No one has checked it out since 2007.:glare: So I will have to find it elsewhere. It's still on my list though! Thanks for mentioning it!

I'm reading The Hunger Games for my second time because dd is doing a pre-semester assignment on it and needed a jump start. With the switch to ps, she now has to do the summer reading assignments and there are 4 pages of thing she needs to do. For the most part, it's easy, but she was always stubborn about literary devices. It turns out she sees them easily and was simply being stubborn, but now I'm engrossed in the novel again, seeing new things via the analytical bent I started with.

Dh has wanted me to read Moby Dick for a long time. He has read it several times himself, so he's not requiring any torture of me that he's not already experienced! :001_smile:

I liked Moby Dick when I read it back as a young teen. Based on where we lived, I read it before I was in grade 11/jr year, but don't remember when. It was one of those books my parents had around the house, so I decided to read it.

I'm reading Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White. It is the 4th and last of the President's Daughter series. I read the first 3 last week, and this one is 700 pages so I'm taking my time. I LOVE these, and I'm a very hard to please fiction reader! I wish I could find a list of books for people who love this series...

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Reign-Ellen-Emerson-White/dp/0312367678

I was looking forward to your review! This book sounds right up my alley!! But talk about a let down. I found out my library had this book and I scooted joyfully off to check it out only to find it not on the shelf. No one has checked it out since 2007.:glare: So I will have to find it elsewhere. It's still on my list though! Thanks for mentioning it!

ooh, that annoys me, too!

Can you put in a request anyway? Maybe they'll find it or replace it.

I have been to the blog, and I want to participate, but I don't quite get the posting. Do I start a book on Sunday, and then post it later in the week when I am finished? Or do I post on the Sunday what I read the past week? I am sure I am over thinking this. Maybe my brain is fried from figuring out Latin declensions and history timelines with my children!:tongue_smilie: