Menu

need ideas for book club - want a book that will tie in with food!

We will soon be signing up for our year for book club. When one hosts, she chooses the book and decides what to do about food. Lots of time everyone brings appetizers and desserts to share. However, last year, I just decided to cook dinner for everyone. We range anywhere from 6 to 16 in number. Anyway, when I last hosted we read The Help. I fixed brisket, hash brown potato casserole, grape salad, and CHOCOLATE PIE (which ties in with the book quite nicely - tee-hee). I would like to do this again. BTW, we have already read Eat, Pray, Love, so I can't have them read that and then cook Italian - though that is the kind of idea I am looking for.

Anyone have a suggestion for a great read that has some food in it that could be incorporated into the dinner I fix for this (potentially) large-ish group? Our books run the gamut, though we do read quite a bit of fiction.

Maybe Larry's Party? It culminates in a dinner party, and the menu (squash soup, lamb, lima beans...all lovely things) is even written out on one of the pages.

Our book circle read Red, White and Drunk All Over and had tastings of some of the wines mentioned in the book. You could do that with a bunch of appetizers or you could go all out and do food pairings.

Comfort Me With Apples or Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichel, former editor of Gourmet. They are not about food, per se; they are wonderful memoirs of a very interesting life, with several recipes thrown in for fun.

http://www.ruthreichl.com/books.html

A Girl Named Zippy would also be fun; it isn't about food, either, but a 70's-themed meal would fit nicely.

Terri

Pomegranate Soup - what kinds of recipes are included? Are there hard-to-find foods in them?

Can someone describe Water for Chocolate?

Essential Ingredients sounds good, too!

Can anyone compare these three? A lot to ask, I realize. ;)

Pomegranate Soup is about 3 Persian/Iranian sisters setting up a mouth-watering restaurant in rural Ireland. Very nice story. The recipes - some are easy-to-find ingredients. Others, depending on where you live - you may need an international store. Stuff like:

Baklava - need pistachios

Abgusht - a delicious meat stew - leg of lamb and some other optional ingredients

How to make PERFECT Persian Rice - and trust me, IMHO, no one makes rice like they do. Then again, I'm biased. ;)

Fesenjoon - our favorite - to die for - serve with rice above - needs pomegranate paste (and I always use more than the recipe calls for)

In other words, most of the ingredients are do-able, some need an international store, which all large cities and most small cities in the U.S. have

Water for Chocolate - only saw the movie and absolutely loved it

School of Essential Ingredients - nice book, but not a "wow" book for me, personally. Nice enough.

Pomegranate Soup is about 3 Persian/Iranian sisters setting up a mouth-watering restaurant in rural Ireland. Very nice story. The recipes - some are easy-to-find ingredients. Others, depending on where you live - you may need an international store. Stuff like:

Baklava - need pistachios

Abgusht - a delicious meat stew - leg of lamb and some other optional ingredients

How to make PERFECT Persian Rice - and trust me, IMHO, no one makes rice like they do. Then again, I'm biased. ;)

Fesenjoon - our favorite - to die for - serve with rice above - needs pomegranate paste (and I always use more than the recipe calls for)

In other words, most of the ingredients are do-able, some need an international store, which all large cities and most small cities in the U.S. have

Water for Chocolate - only saw the movie and absolutely loved it

School of Essential Ingredients - nice book, but not a "wow" book for me, personally. Nice enough.

I really like the sound (and potential taste!) of Pomegranate Soup, but I am doubting my ability to find some of the ingredients. We are NOT in a big city or even a small city. We do have one "fancy" grocery store that I could check out.

Thanks for the comparison. :D

Like Water for Chocolate was a big hit for my mom's night out club. We read the book, ate some food from the book (and a few others adapted for my group) and discussed the book. Later, those of us who could stay watched the movie - one of my favorite foreign films of all time.

I made the chicken in rose petal sauce (substitute for the quail), a chocolate cake with cayenne pepper and a ganache frosting and some chipotle chocolate covered nuts. Delicious.

In my book club, everyone always tried to tie either the snack or dessert served to the book just read. Sometimes it's nearly impossible so people get creative. We went through our Afghanistan phase (i.e. Kite Runner, The Bookseller of Kabul, etc.) and ate a lot of hummus and pita. There was the time we read A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail and the host produced some protein bars and dehydrated food. And we read Pomegranate Soup too and used that as an excuse to eat prolific amounts of baklava.

We're reading Grand River and Joy right now and the protagonist is Jewish. Lots of talk in that book about matso balls and macaroons. I think I have an inkling about what we'll be eating at book club this Wednesday night. ;)

There is a book called The Book Club Cookbook. Inside it connects popular books to recipes that could be made.

For instance, Peace Like a River has the author's family recipe for cinnamon rolls (a minor part of the story).

For what it's worth, this is one of my favorite books ever. Always happy to hear of someone else reading it, and I've given away more than my share of copies just so I'll have more people to love it with me.

Terri

There is a book called The Book Club Cookbook. Inside it connects popular books to recipes that could be made.

For instance, Peace Like a River has the author's family recipe for cinnamon rolls (a minor part of the story).

This could be an "issue" for me, as I have a bit of a "problem" with cookbooks...as in, I already have waaaayyy too many 'cause I love them.

Off to look at Amazon.

What is Peace Like a River about/like?

What is Peace Like a River about/like?

Please read the reviews for PLAR while you're on Amazon. It is the one by Leif Enger, not the bodice-ripper that also comes up when you search for it. If the reviews don't make you want to rush out and read it, I'll ... well, I don't know, but they will. Everyone to whom I have given this book (half-a-dozen people, easily) has then passed their copy along to or bought a new copy for someone else. It's just one of those books you read and want to share.

Terri