Menu

Just curious . . . what books/curriculum packs are you purchasing for the new year?

Woodland_Mom

Short answer: I'm getting ready to purchase Latin for Children and Fix-it! Grammar (IEW resource).

Longer answer: Unfortuanately, I have not been very diligent with my 5th grader in Latin. We have completed almost NO Latin this semester! Rather than spend several weeks reviewing after an entire summer and fall semester break from Latin, I'm going to start him with Level A and bring my 3rd grader into the study, too. I think they'll enjoy studying it together--and it will make things easier for me. I'm also going to try the Fix-it! Grammar with my 5th grader. I feel we need some type of editing/language mechanics exercises as a supplement to our

"Essentials of the English Language" classes that we take through Classical Conversations.

I start my kids year around their birthday. My oldest just turned 8. For third grade (in addition to ETC, Singapore math and sequential spelling, Usborne Science books and SOTW), I will be ordering FLL1 and WWE1. This will be our first year as official classical HSers. :D

Edited by strawberrymama

I recently purchased AAS and gave it a test run to see if it would become a new addition after the first of the year. We'll be adding that, and I'm still trying to finalize our second semester language arts curriculum. I think we'll be adding MCT poetry and possibly IEW writing.

Oh, and oldest DS's guitar teacher is starting a unit on music theory with him and younger DS.

Classical Writing Homer. Received it a few days before Christmas and picked it up first thing after church on Sunday. I've been parked on my bed for two days reading the Core, the IG, the student workbook and trying to digest it! It would be fine if it were just my kids, but I'm planning on using this in a co-op in a few weeks so I have to be on go and well planned out for the semester. But I'm really looking forward to using it! It's been on my wish list for some time now.

Lisa

Classical Writing Homer. Received it a few days before Christmas and picked it up first thing after church on Sunday. I've been parked on my bed for two days reading the Core, the IG, the student workbook and trying to digest it! It would be fine if it were just my kids, but I'm planning on using this in a co-op in a few weeks so I have to be on go and well planned out for the semester. But I'm really looking forward to using it! It's been on my wish list for some time now.

Lisa

I've read so many good things about Classical Writing. I consider it a huge treat when I get a chance to dive into my books like you are. :) (maybe I'm a little jealous!) Enjoy your reading, your planning, and your co-op class!

Guest RecumbentHeart

I bought Living Books Curriculum's Foundation Year to begin the week after DS1's 5th birthday in February. I've been working on accumulating the books and supplies I need for it and will spend January getting familiar with what we're going to be doing. DS1 will probably be ready to move up a level in Math around that time too but we're using either MEP or MM and we already own MM so no purchases involved there but it will be something new none the less. :)

For me, I am planning to buy Classical Writing for Older Beginners with at least the Aesop core if not Homer as well. I just imagine that progress will be slow so perhaps I can put off purchasing Homer for a while.

We're continuing with Oak Meadow 5 for all subjects except math, and we're continuing with Teaching Textbooks 5 for math...

It's very rare that I get tempted by any of the threads on this board (fortunately lol) to the point where I actually buy something new to add/supplement with, but once in a while it does happen. For instance, a while back I did buy Times Tales to try out for extra help with memorizing the multiplication tables (it didn't end up really being for us).

And just this morning after Aubrey's post about Killgallon I ended up buying: "Sentence Composing for Elementary School" and plan to add that in in January.

I've also been very tempted by Life of Fred math and do plan to buy the first book, fractions, at some point but probably not for this year- I'll probably begin that next year in conjunction with TT6.

Soooo, so far you guys have only made me actually spend money on "extras" twice- soon to be three times- hehe. Hopefully I can keep it to that :P

Well, I just bought Life of Fred Pre-Algebra w/ Economics.

This is the time of year when I figure out all the stuff I need, stuff I want to look at for next year. Hopefully, I will have it all sorted out by the Midwest Convention in March/April. That's where I do my final look see.

Luckily, I know almost everything I am going to use.

Since we are starting for the first time in January, I had to buy EVERYTHING during December...So everythingt you see below, I bought this month...I lived at the post office mailing stuff I sold so I could afford it all ;)

- Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

- Rod & Staff English Remedial, Level 1, and Level 5

- Writing With Ease

- Math Mammoth Blue, then Light Blue 1A & 1B, 4A & 4B

- Mystery of History Volume 1

- Elemental Science Biology

- Prima Latina

- Logic Countdown

- Homeschool PE

We are also using bible studies from two different places - Cavalry Chapel and Church of Christ in Illinois...But they are free (thank goodness :))

I just bought Braver Writer through Homeschool Buyers Co-op, and 10 back-issues of Arrow/Boomerang/Slingshot.

I haven't even downloaded it yet. I hope this is it for writing programs (cuz I don't know what's left! :lol:).

I've looked at the Arrow several times, thinking it looked very interesting. Ah . . . maybe someday! Good luck!

Since we are starting for the first time in January, I had to buy EVERYTHING during December...So everythingt you see below, I bought this month...I lived at the post office mailing stuff I sold so I could afford it all ;)

- Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

- Rod & Staff English Remedial, Level 1, and Level 5

- Writing With Ease

- Math Mammoth Blue, then Light Blue 1A & 1B, 4A & 4B

- Mystery of History Volume 1

- Elemental Science Biology

- Prima Latina

- Logic Countdown

- Homeschool PE

We are also using bible studies from two different places - Cavalry Chapel and Church of Christ in Illinois...But they are free (thank goodness :))

Best wishes to you on your new homeschool journey!! Looks like you have picked a bunch of "cream of the crop" stuff!

We're going to try the 3 week sample of TOG in a few weeks. I thought my library would have most of the books, but they don't, so I'm going to order a bunch of those.

Also, I use a lot of the Sonlight reading lists for my 3rd grader, and again, my library doesn't have a lot of those, so I have several to order.

We have HWT cursive already, and we'll start that in the new year as well.

Oh, and if I can get a few other homeschoolers to sign up, my oldest 2 are going to take a pottery class at a local potter's stuidio!

I've looked at the Arrow several times, thinking it looked very interesting. Ah . . . maybe someday! Good luck!

The 10 back issues (You can choose which ones you want.) were about $50. I would not want to subscribe, but would rather choose which ones and when I wanted them. I have kids in 2 (soon to be 3) age ranges, and no way could I use 10 of each in a year. If I subscribed, I'd sure want to though!

I'm hoping these little units are somewhat like LLATL, but less religious. I love the idea of using books like that.

ETA: I also picked some of Boomerang and some of Slingshot for my oldest to see where he fits best. He's soon to be 14 and could definitely handle the high school level. (I wanted to do Ender's Game with him though!).

Edited by darlasowders

The 10 back issues (You can choose which ones you want.) were about $50. I would not want to subscribe, but would rather choose which ones and when I wanted them. I have kids in 2 (soon to be 3) age ranges, and no way could I use 10 of each in a year. If I subscribed, I'd sure want to though!

I'm hoping these little units are somewhat like LLATL, but less religious. I love the idea of using books like that.

ETA: I also picked some of Boomerang and some of Slingshot for my oldest to see where he fits best. He's soon to be 14 and could definitely handle the high school level. (I wanted to do Ender's Game with him though!).

Link, please? :)

I'm trying to decide on a Latin program for my 9 year old right now. I'm also considering Mosdos Press 4th grade level.

My 5 year old tells me that she wants harder math (we've just been doing K math on T4L as I'm always afraid that we'll "miss" something if we skip....like there's so much to worry about with K! :lol:). Anyway, I think we'll slowly start MM 1A in January, but luckily I already own it so no need to purchase.

Thanks for this thread, because it reminded me that I want to order La Clase Divertida before the sale ends! So there's that, and I also ordered Singapore CWP, since I recently discovered that DD loves word problems. I had no idea. Wahoo! Something about math she likes besides patterns!!!