Menu

WWYD if a dog attacked?

A pitbull jumped over his fence today and I am sure would have bitten my ds if he hadn't gotten over a 6 ft brick wall in the nick of time. Dh was there (fixing a well pump) in the backyard area. He screamed at the dog and the dog thankfully stopped in its tracks. Dh made it very clear to the owner that she has to get rid of the dog. (We are managers here so he has that authority.)

Dh told ds never, ever to run from a dog but I wonder what would have happened if ds didn't think quickly enough to get over that fence. On the other hand, ds saw the dog trying to get over the fence so it sounds like he started going backwards first and then the dog jumped over and charged. I think I would flee the opposite direction if that dog came towards me! I just hate, hate, HATE that dog!

So what are you supposed to do if a dog charges you? I think if I yelled like dh did, the dog would charge anyway. Dh is much more intimidating than I am!

The Humane Society here teaches kids to "be a log" in a program they bring through the schools and libraries. I don't remember their cute song that goes with it, but it teaches kids to get down on the ground with their arms wrapped over their head, face down, legs closed. I don't know how well it works when put into practice, but I think it sounds like a really good game plan to teach a child.

The Humane Society here teaches kids to "be a log" in a program they bring through the schools and libraries. I don't remember their cute song that goes with it, but it teaches kids to get down on the ground with their arms wrapped over their head, face down, legs closed. I don't know how well it works when put into practice, but I think it sounds like a really good game plan to teach a child.

:iagree:this was we were trained to do for bears too! (I went to highscool in Alaska)

I'd kill it...

Really, though... I don't know! I have those fears all the time that I am going to have to kill something to protect one of my children. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Well, dh made that pretty clear to the owner that he has a gun and isn't afraid to use it. I was supposed to go over there yesterday to read the electric meter but couldn't bring myself to go into the backyard. As soon as I got near the fence, that dog was barking and barking. I even went to the shed and got out the pitchfork to carry over there with me. When the pitchfork came apart I decided to forget the idea. That dog has really worried me. I'm glad he is out of here but I think I'd rather kill him too! I can't imagine what will happen to him since he is that aggressive now. It's such a shame that people continue to breed those dogs when so many owners are irresponsible and many of them get put down in the end. :(

http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/10/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main514774.shtml

A couple links that may be useful.

I'm no expert, but the log thing sounds risky to me. For a child perhaps it is best, but for an adult, you lose your height advantage that way and the dog has easier access to vulnerable parts of your body than it does if you are standing.

I am guessing that some of it depends on who you are and your fear of dogs. My mother had absolutely no fear --not dumb, just a natural alpha--and even once walked past a trained guard dog on duty, patting it on its head as she went by.

Don't expect too much from pepper spray. I had to use it once on a pit type dog that was barking and charging me as I was walking on a public sidewalk. I was underwhelmed at the response. No yelping, no high tailing it back home. The dog slowed but kept coming, sneezed once, slowed to a walk, snorted once, and then slowly came to a stop. I don't think it would have stopped him if he had been really mad.

On the good side, the next day he stood by his house and barked, and the day after he didn't even bother getting up to bark. So the spray helped, but just wasn't the automatic quick stop I had imagined.

Don't expect too much from pepper spray. I had to use it once on a pit type dog that was barking and charging me as I was walking on a public sidewalk. I was underwhelmed at the response. No yelping, no high tailing it back home. The dog slowed but kept coming, sneezed once, slowed to a walk, snorted once, and then slowly came to a stop. I don't think it would have stopped him if he had been really mad.

On the good side, the next day he stood by his house and barked, and the day after he didn't even bother getting up to bark. So the spray helped, but just wasn't the automatic quick stop I had imagined.

Hmm...I would have thought pepper spray would have had a better effect, too. I have to fill propane bottles for people. The large propane tank is across the yard from where this dog is. Quite often he will come over to the fence and bark if I'm there. I always stayed alert so if he did jump over and charge me there I could spray him in the face with propane. That might have a better effect! (Can you tell this dog has always made me nervous? I guess I did actually think about him whenever I went outside. Ick!)

One time, many years ago, my husband and I were walking with a friend. We accidentally stumbled upon a couple of junk yard dobermans, complete with "I'm gonna kill you" attitude. They charged at us and my friend ran. I started walking backwards. My husband stopped in his tracked and stared them down. My DH is a big dude height wise but was as thin as a stick so he wasn't intimidating size wise really. He just stared them down and they quickly backed away. After DH established his dominance, he never broke eye contact from them the whole time we walked away.

All that to say I think it's attitude but I highly doubt a child could establish such an attitude while being charged. I personally carry a club when we go out. I"m glad that dog is outta there; he sounds like a terrible menace.

Btdt. The first time I was walking with older ds (VERY preg with younger ds), I froze, somehow managed to get older ds up onto my back and scream yelled 'GET DOWN' while walking backwards towards the house. The dog crouch walked infront of me part way but took off to chase a kid into a house (at which point I ran my very preg hiney home with ds holding on for dear life).

The next time, we were on the porch, the dog attempted to leap onto the porch at us and dh hit him with the grill :D From there on out we kept a machete on the front porch. I know I would have happily hacked into that beast's head.

We also had the dog warden put a trap in our yard, filed charges through the county and finally had the dog labelled "dangerous" and removed.

I think if the barrier wasn't right there, I would back up slowly. I would not turn and run. But I wouldn't just be a log either.

:iagree: We have black bears. Our neighbor, a biologist, has told us to face the bear and yell. I've heard it's the best thing to do with dogs as well. If the animal charges you, protect the head and neck. We always carry large sticks when hiking. It's a terrifying thought whether it's a bear or a dog that attacks.

Well, I was bad the one time I was chased and did run. But I was in my front yard, and could see the dog coming, and it was a split second decision, because I knew if I didn't start to run immediately, I wouldn't have time to get to the door. I did make it, barely.

How terrifying!

We also have bears, bob cats, and mountain lions here. It's good that the cats are nocturnal, so we don't have to worry about them too much. But I've heard if you make a lot of noise (shout; bang something; etc), then they should get intimidated and back off.

I hope that menace of a dog is gotten rid of. I hate saying that because I am a huge dog lover. But these kind of aggressive dogs have no place in a home/neighborhood/near people.

dh and I were charged by 2 st. bernard mixed dogs a year or two ago while walking in our neighborhood. I almost always walk daily alone, it was a miracle that dh was with me.

I am not at all afraid of dogs, and we had a pit bull when I was a child. I have had dogs run out at me while walking, and I have never been afraid- I've always just walked away from their yard (territory) calmly and they leave me alone. This time, the 2 dogs started barking, running into the street out of their yard, we both started calmly backing away and even ended up in a yard across the street- I fully expected them to quit the charge when they saw us move into another property. They kept charging, barking and growling...dh started moving towards the next street to get away, I started going towards the car in a drive-way to get up on it, but then it all started happening too fast, and the dogs separated me (smaller, weaker) from dh and I froze. Dh turned back and charged them, kicking them in the head and yelling, I started screaming. The dogs paused, confused, but did not stop barking/growling. The owner then came out and called them back.

I always thought I would be capable in the face of such an attack, and I was not. I thought dh was going to be bitten. I was so glad my kids were not there.

I agree, the worse thing to do would have been to run.

call the police and report what happened!

I despise unleashed dogs. I'm not afraid of dogs in general....I have two of my own. But I'm very afraid of dogs that are not under an owner's control. Especailly mean ones.

I've become so afraid of them that I will not go walking or biking around my neighborhood for fear of being approached by a loose dog.

Once I was out jogging years ago (before I became too afraid to do so) and a large dog approached me growling. I always carried pepper spray (which apparantly wouldn't have protected me anyhow LOL) but for this particular dog I just lowered my eyes and kept walking. I paid the dog no attention whatsoever. My heart was racing and I was scared to death, but I just kept going at my same pace without looking at it and eventually it wandered away.

A few months ago new neighbors moved in behind us. They have two large dogs that growl and bark when we are in the backyard. They have begun digging and pushing on the fence in attempt to get into our yard when we are back there. I am terrified of them! I won't even allow my kids to play back there alone anymore.

Seriously, I despise mean dogs.

if he is a manager, he certainly has been put on notice that the dog is intimidating, at the very least.

I would be quite concerned about his legal liability if the dog ended up biting someone a week or month from now. I would probably consult legal authorities about how to document the demand that the dog be removed from the premises.

if he is a manager, he certainly has been put on notice that the dog is intimidating, at the very least.

I would be quite concerned about his legal liability if the dog ended up biting someone a week or month from now. I would probably consult legal authorities about how to document the demand that the dog be removed from the premises.

Yes, I have thought of that too. I certainly don't want to be sued if the dog does actually hurt someone. I know we have some paperwork we can fill out. The woman said she would get rid of it. It is actually her daughter's dog. Her daughter gets a dog, gets kicked out of her house/apartment, then dumps dog on mom. It has happened before. This time the dog is awful.

I have been charged by a dog more than once. When I was alone I simply stopped and starred the dog down. The one time that I had my dog with me I stopped and put my dog into a sit and stay position and we both stood still until the lady was able to get her dog under control. I have been told by more than one trainer that if your dog is ever attacked by another dog to release your dog (all done command and drop leash if your dog is leashed) so that he can protect himself and you if need be. If I saw a dog charging a child, I would place myself between the dog and child but I honestly don't know what else I would do. I have also read that if you frequently walk in a place where you may run into uncontrolled dogs to carry an umbrella with you. If the dog charges you, open the umbrella and place it between you and the dog. Of course, a dog could tear up an umbrella but sometimes it will distract and/or startle them and they will run off and if not it makes it harder for them to get to you and gives you more time to back away, the dog to be brought under control or to calm down on it's own.

I have been charged by a dog more than once. When I was alone I simply stopped and starred the dog down. The one time that I had my dog with me I stopped and put my dog into a sit and stay position and we both stood still until the lady was able to get her dog under control. I have been told by more than one trainer that if your dog is ever attacked by another dog to release your dog (all done command and drop leash if your dog is leashed) so that he can protect himself and you if need be. If I saw a dog charging a child, I would place myself between the dog and child but I honestly don't know what else I would do. I have also read that if you frequently walk in a place where you may run into uncontrolled dogs to carry an umbrella with you. If the dog charges you, open the umbrella and place it between you and the dog. Of course, a dog could tear up an umbrella but sometimes it will distract and/or startle them and they will run off and if not it makes it harder for them to get to you and gives you more time to back away, the dog to be brought under control or to calm down on it's own.

What is it - crazy dog attack week?

I had a dog charge my cat 3 days ago, and another one charge my service dog last night!

When I take my service dog out to pee, I take her out off leash (we live in a tiny place). It was really late and snowing, and she trotted off to her usual place. A dog literally charged at her (shoulders down, teeth bared, growling) from across the street. I surprised myself: I yelled, at the top of my lungs "oh H*LL NO" and charged the dog. (I've had a dog (on a leash) try to hamstring her before.) I was yelling commands at her - she normally responds immediately - but her main job is to protect me, so she was making "the stance" between the dog and me. The man finally got control of his dog.

I guess this really is "the silly season".

I'm sorry anyone is dealing with this, especially with their kids.

a

I'd be baking dark chocolate macadamian nut garlic raisin brownies by the pan full and leaving them on the back patio to cool. Oops!

Note: The above is very snarky remark.

I'm sorry you experienced this. I hope you and your husband can get the woman to remove her dog quickly and kindly. Best of luck.

Edited by Anne Rittenhouse

I'd be baking dark chocolate macadamian nut garlic raisin brownies by the pan full and leaving them on the back patio to cool. Oops!

I'm sorry you experienced this. I hope you and your husband can get the woman to remove her dog quickly and kindly. Best of luck.

I have to say that really made me giggle!

:lol::lol::lol: I'm LOL here! Thanks for this: now I don't have to go look up that list.

Ihad a dog jump a fence, chase me down while Iwas riding my bike and bite my leg.....dumb dog. I usually freeze when I hear that growl and yelping. I hate dogs. If I have something in my hand, I think I'd start swinging.

Edited by lynn

So what are you supposed to do if a dog charges you? I think if I yelled like dh did, the dog would charge anyway. Dh is much more intimidating than I am!

Yell NO or DOWN or something along those lines really loud and in a low register. Most dogs will back off. A few won't. At that point, screaming is a good alternative. Even if it doesn't bother the dog, it will likely bring other people out, which will intimidate a lot of dogs.

I was charged by two of those canario dogs (you know, the ones that sometimes kill grown adults). I froze, I stared them down, I commanded them -- they weren't stopping. So I screamed. It brought out a number of people and the dogs decided they were outnumbered and gave up.

The only person it did not bring out was the idiot who had left the dogs unleashed outside the bar where he was drinking.

Strangely I was thinking a nice sponge, soaked in meat blood, then dried. It would enlarge in the gut. Hmmm.... But that's a snarky comment too and probably REALLY uncalled for.

I would report it immediately. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you found out they moved the dog and then it attacked a little kid?

We have a German Shepherd male that is almost 120 pounds. Anyone who takes on the responsibility of a breed like the pits, shepherds, rotts, etc. a breed that CAN do damage has a much higher level of responsibility - not only to "contain" it, but to train it and to make sure that dog isn't dominant, aggressive, or unstable. An unstable dog that is aggressive should be put down. Immediately. Report it today, tomorrow, and continue until it's evaluated.