Menu

So share your list-what do you bake for the holidays?

So far this year I'm planning on these:

* peppermint bark

* fudge (I have a no-cook recipe)

* seven-layer bars

* gingerbread men

* sugar cookies

We also made a batch of the saltine cracker toffee, but it didn't quite turn out right (the 14yo's first attempt at making it), so we were obligated to eat it all up that night.

My part of the cookie buffet - buckeyes (peanut butter balls with chocolate), gingerbread men, chocolate cut-out cookies, sugar cut-out cookies, green wreathes made out of corn flakes and marshmallows and green dye, lemon poppy seed cake (as gifts). Then I will make cinnamon buns (I am going to try the WTM version). I also want to make a hummingbird cake, but it is too much food. I will have to make that for Easter.

My sister - Chinese New Year cookies, date balls, and chocolate dipped white cookies

My mom - spritz, Mexican Tea cakes, chex mix, coffee cake

Can you see why a long hike/walk is one of our new traditions?

Fudge (Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Peppermint and pumpkin)

Pumpkin Roll

Sugar Cookies

Meringue Cookies

Gingerbread House

Cake Balls

Russian Tea Cakes

Truffles

and a Partridge in a Pear Tree!

Some I have made already and some I will make still. I love baking (and cooking) this time of year!

Russian Teacakes

Date-Nut Cookies (similar to Hermits)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Peanut Butter Cookies

French Almond Cookies

Sugar Cookies

Gingerbread Boys and Girls

Cakes

Cinnamon Rolls

Meringue Cookies

Fudge

Truffles

Cream Puffs (a new tradition because I've been wanting them for months)

For everything that has nuts, I bake an extra batch without them because DS1, for some unfathomable reason, does not like nuts.

This year it's

Pffefernuse

Lebkuchen

Fruit cake

On other years I have gone completley barmy and made in addition to the above

Springerle

Sand Tortchen

Divinity

Peanut Butter Cups

Fudge

Coconut Vanilla Fudge

Opera Fudge

and I a few others.

I gave most of it away, but I don't have anybody where we are now to give to so, I have to limit myself or we wouldn't be able to walk by mid January.:D

We've already done gingerbread cookies for the girls and snickerdoodles to send to my brother's platoon in Afghanistan. I am baking sugar cookies and snickerdoodles this week for our AWANA party. I always do a tin of treats for everyone in the family, and this year I am planning peppermint bark, butterscotch hatstacks, oreo truffles, and some kind of cookies, probably sugar cookies because they are the easiest. I will probably do some brownies too.

On Christmas morning, I will be making Quiver's cinnamon rolls for the first time ever, and I am super excited! :D

Reading your posts make me want to bake more. I love baking treats!

Cookies

* chocolate chip

* coconut chocolate chip

* chocolate with white chips

* peanut butter

* oatmeal

* sugar cut outs

* no bake

* cornflake

* grandma's special

Ritz crackers with peanut butter dipped in chocolate

Chex mix

Brownies

Various muffins

Pies -- chocolate, pecan, coconut

No we don't eat all that. It is given as gifts (lots of guys on my list that love cookies ;))

My kids and I have a tradition of making candy. They each pick a few things to help me make, which gives them some one-on-one time with me. :)

Here is our list for this year:

Fudge

Rocky Road Fudge

Peanut Butter Fudge

Peanut Butter Balls

Pretzel Candies

Oreo Cookie Balls

Cookie Dough Balls

Chocolate Covered Cherries

Turtles

Peppermint Patties

Peppermint Merinque Bites

Scotch Kisses

English Toffee

Peanut Brittle

Peppermint Bark

Sugar Cookies (these we are doing with our HS group at the kid's Christmas party)

This is a great list of cookies. I need to bake more, as so far I have only planned/done:

Pfeffernüsse (Daisy's recipe)

Gingerbread (using a St Nicholas cookie cutter)

pretty pitiful!

Better on cakes -- I always do:

Almond torte, with strawberry glaze

Bûche de Noël, with meringue mushrooms

Jamaican Black Cake (very rich fruitcake)

and some kind of cake or pastry for Twelfth Night

the best thing I bake for the holiday is "Christmas Bread". My mother got the idea from some magazine when I was little and we all loved it! My children love it! It is regular home made bread rolled out and twisted, with butter and colored sugar in the middle. It is suppose to be made into a wreath or Christmas tree shape on the cookie sheet, but I've started to just make them all separate because I am awful at the design. Then, it is topped off with regular white frosting! Ultimate dessert bread!

Cranberry upside-down cake! (I got the recipe off recipezaar)

Is recipezaar now food.com? That's all I'm finding.

Would you mind sharing which recipe you use? There are 27 different recipes.

We've made:

Candy Cane cookies

Chocolate Chocolate Chip M&M cookies

Ginger Crackle cookies

Still to make:

Cranberry Snowdrift

Honey Balls

Christmas Wreath cookies

Kris Kringle

Benne Wafers

Coconut Snowballs

Nutmeg Logs

Edited by Kleine Hexe

So far this year:

Chocolate Chip cookies

Peanut Butter Blossoms

Snickerdoodles

Gingerbread Cookies

Holly Cookies

Date Balls

Buckeyes

Puppy Chow

I'm thinking on making the Andes Mint cookies, but it seems to me they are just chocolate chip cookies with the mints melted on top....is that right? I have a huge tub of chocolate chip cookie dough and I may just whip those up and then melt the mints on top. What does the Hive think??

Is recipezaar now food.com? That's all I'm finding.

Would you mind sharing which recipe you use? There are 27 different recipes.

Here's a recipe I use & like, if you want

Title: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients

12 oz fresh cranberries; (12 to 14 ounces)

4 tb butter

2/3 c sugar

*****BATTER*****

2/3 c flour

1 ts baking powder

3 eggs

1/2 c sugar

1 orange rind; grated

3 tb butter; melted

Instructions

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Place a baking sheet on the middle shelf of the oven.

2) Wash the cranberries and pat dry. Thickly smear the butter on the base and sides of a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. Add the sugar and swirl the pan to coat evenly.

3) Add the cranberries and spread in an even layer over the bottom of the pan.

4) For the batter, sift the flour and baking powder twice. Set aside.

5) Combine the eggs, sugar, and orange rind in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot but not boiling water. With an electric mixer, beat until the eggs leave a ribbon trail when the beaters are lifted.

6) Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, folding in well after each addition. Gently fold in the melted butter, then pour over the cranberries.

7) Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around

the inside edge to loosen.

8) To unmold, while the cake is still warm place a flat plate on top of the pan, bottom-side up. Holding the pan and plate tightly together with potholders or oven gloves, quickly flip over. Carefully lift off the pan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: The Ultimate American Cookbook

I'm thinking on making the Andes Mint cookies, but it seems to me they are just chocolate chip cookies with the mints melted on top....is that right? I have a huge tub of chocolate chip cookie dough and I may just whip those up and then melt the mints on top. What does the Hive think??

Hmm, the Andes Mint cookies that I make are a chocolate cookie (not chocolate chip) and then have the mint melted on top. It must be a different recipe.

Oh, well -- fabulous AGA cooker this year BUT totally overwhelmed with stuff going on and driving back and forth to NJ from VA just about every week.

BUT:

My incredibly abbreviated baking/preparing list:

Royal Icing Mitten Cookies

Ree's Sea Salt Truffles

and

maybe a break apart candy -- not sure though, that might be the thing that puts me over the edge.

Soft, chewy oatmeal cookies.. no raisins. That's the way we like it here - and it disappears quite fast. I'm seven months pregnant, tired, and not up for baking anything else. Today we're going to a Cookie Exchange. It should be fun :)

I have already made:

sugar cookies

peanut butter cookies

chocolate with white chips

gingerbread

dipped pretzel rods

spiced nuts

cheesecake

dark chocolate-ginger cookies

Some of those will be repeated, plus I'm still planning on these:

jam thumbprints

Nutella thumbprints

almond bark

gingersnaps

snickerdoodles

nutmeg cookies

lemon tea loaf

cranberry-orange bread

walnut bread

peanut butter fudge

chocolate fudge

iced apple scones

chocolate dipped shortbread

Last year I made delicious homemade peanut butter cups but they were A LOT of work, so I'm not sure if I will do them again. Cheesecake is my new favorite thing to make -- I have been making it crustless so that I can eat it.

peppermint almond bark

chocolate dipped pretzels

no-bake fudge (the recipe with sweetened condensed milk, ch chips, etc)

spicy chocolate crackles

snickerdoodles

renaissance almonds

gingerbread cookies

red velvet/cream cheese cupcakes

Tazo chai tea/eggnog drinks - yum! great on a cold night with some cookies to nibble on!

Hmm, the Andes Mint cookies that I make are a chocolate cookie (not chocolate chip) and then have the mint melted on top. It must be a different recipe.

Thank you!!! I have read that recipe through so many times, and I just couldn't see why not make choco chip and then put the mint on the top. It must be a different recipe!

I'll get chocolate cookie dough, and then put the mint on top. That should do it!! Thanks again!!

We usually have

Cut out sugar cookies ( 2 different kind, some with icing, and and some with chocolate chips and sugar on top)

7 layered cookies

Pum

Chocolate Fudge

Pretzels with a hershey kiss on top heated up in the oven long enough for the kiss to get soft and then press an m&m on top of it...yummy!

Chocolate covered pretzels

Pumpkin roll

Buckeyes

I'm cutting WAY back this year. I normally bake for weeks but I'm going to be gentle on myself this year.

I'm going to quadruple the apricot cookies I make every year, and do the same with the anise cookies. Those two are the biggest hits here so I'm focusing mainly on them. I'll do some chocolate dipped almond cookies and will also make a platter of rice crispie snowmen. Nice and easy this year.

On top of that we will have pies and other treats, but instead of doing like 8 different cookie recipes this year, I'm going to focus on our favorites.