Menu

Gun etiquette questions

Please answer for the first & second question in the OP.  

1. 1. Please answer for the first & second question in the OP.

• Yes, it is polite to inform the host/hostess of weapons.
    • No, it is perfectly acceptable to have a concealed weapon is someone's home without their knowledge.
    • Yes, it is your duty to tell everyone who crosses your threshhold about your gun ownership status.
    • No, it is your business unless directly asked. (whether a gun is in the home)
    • Other

My husband is a police officer and carries concealed when off duty (the department encourages officers to do so). He asks before he wears his gun into someone's house. If they object, he leaves it in the locking compartment in the car.

:iagree: Most of our friends do the same... which is why I voted OTHER. I have never had an issue with this. Now if my friend were suspicious, drug dealer, mentally instable, gangbanger, and so on... then, ya... I'd be asking questions and profiling them before entering or letting them into my home. I don't get the OP's post?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree: Most of our friends do the same... which is why I voted OTHER. I have never had an issue with this. Now if my friend were suspicious, drug dealer, mentally instable, gangbanger, and so on... then, ya... I'd be asking questions and profiling them before entering or letting them into my home. I don't get the OP's post?

I was just curious if I was out of whack for wanting to know who had a weapon on them at the dinner table. I was told that it was unheard of to ask such a question or expect to be told ahead of time that one would be bringing a weapon to my home.

Oddly, I was also told that I was practically duty-bound to inform anyone who enters my home that *I* have a gun locked up upstairs.

I felt positively loopy...

I generally do not invite idiots into my home.

I stated that the individual has an obligation to tell you.

If you refuse to allow him to carry, which is your right, he is in a quandry. What is funny about that? If it were me I would obviously leave but would still have been in a quandry.

Seems you are finding cause for argument where none exists.

Idiots come in all sort of associations.

You ususally know what your friends standing is on guns and who has them. But other people come to your house as well.

Homeschool get togethers, soccer meetings, HOA meetings, book clubs, block party organization, kid birthday parties, neighborhood bbq, church group things, tupperware parties, stamping up parties, and I'm sure many other ways.

Even when it is your friends, these types of event, along with things like game viewing, poker night, pampered chef parties and things like that can often include friends or acquaintances of your friends.

People get together for all sorts of reasons. People offer their house up as the place to meet. Maybe your new and wanting to get to know people. Maybe you don't want to travel the night of the meeting. Maybe you can't get a babysitter. So you offer up your house.

And it takes a while to develop relationships with people. Move every few years and that means making an entire new set of local friends. It takes time to get to know them to find out if you would classify them in the 'idiot' came.

And I don't see what there is to be in a quandry about. You came with your gun. I told you I don't want your gun here. Either you lock it in your car, leave, or take it home and come back. There's no real quandry. Either the event or the gun, one is more important than the other. If you have to leave the planning party for your kids soccer awards dinner, then you should have planned better. If you feel it's so important to haul your gun around, then you should have called me first. I'd have told you no you can't bring it. You could leave it home and then come plan an award dinner or whatever.

Would people consider it rude to just show up and be expected to come in with your dog without telling the host first? The gun shouldn't be any different.

I am curious:

13 people have said it is acceptable to wear/bring a weapon into someone else's home without telling the homeowner. But there aren't many (at all) replies in the thread explaining that POV. I am not looking to argue. :001_smile: I just really want to understand why that would be Ok.

Because it is like any other item I have that you cannot see. I would not give it a second thought. I can see now that some people would; however, that would not induce me to reveal something I am carrying privately.

I'm not arguing that my opinion is right; in fact, it's probably wrong. The last thing I would want is to offend someone in their own home. But I would still never offer that information freely, whether I was meeting them in a restaurant or at their home. Of course, if asked directly, one would deserve an honest response, at least under usual circumstances.

I carry pepper spray. The nozzle OFF button is not entirely secure, but I would never think of mentioning that to anyone either. I can guess that some here would say, well, the pepper spray can't KILL anyone. And neither will the gun, because I wouldn't do anything stupid with it, and it would not be left lying in a room in my personal items for anyone else to mess with it either.

I am curious:

13 people have said it is acceptable to wear/bring a weapon into someone else's home without telling the homeowner. But there aren't many (at all) replies in the thread explaining that POV. I am not looking to argue. :001_smile: I just really want to understand why that would be Ok.

I will speak up. I don't invite people off the street into my home. If you are a first-time visitor to my home it is because I want to get to know you more. If you are a repeat visitor, it is on purpose. If I trust you to be in my home, then I would feel that I trust you on some level. I may not trust you to be alone with my children. I certainly make sure my children don't touch any bag you may have brought in with you (that is rude).

However I don't feel that I have the right to perform a security check at my door for someone that I have already INVITED to my home. If I want to do that, then that happens BEFORE the invitation.

Yes, I know that there have been individuals who have carried a concealed weapon into my home. They did not announce it to me. I did not feel they needed to. I believe them to be responsible adults, and responsible gun owners. I would not ask them to leave their weapon in their vehicle, as I believe it is safer on their body than in their vehicle.

Now, as far as guns in my home. Yes, they are here. They are locked and unloaded. I will answer honestly to anyone who asks. However, I do not ever invite people into my house saying, "We'd love to have Johnny over to play Sunday afternoon, but only if you are alright with the guns we own.":001_huh:

Idiots come in all sort of associations.

You ususally know what your friends standing is on guns and who has them. But other people come to your house as well.

Homeschool get togethers, soccer meetings, HOA meetings, book clubs, block party organization, kid birthday parties, neighborhood bbq, church group things, tupperware parties, stamping up parties, and I'm sure many other ways.

Even when it is your friends, these types of event, along with things like game viewing, poker night, pampered chef parties and things like that can often include friends or acquaintances of your friends.

People get together for all sorts of reasons. People offer their house up as the place to meet. Maybe your new and wanting to get to know people. Maybe you don't want to travel the night of the meeting. Maybe you can't get a babysitter. So you offer up your house.

And it takes a while to develop relationships with people. Move every few years and that means making an entire new set of local friends. It takes time to get to know them to find out if you would classify them in the 'idiot' came.

And I don't see what there is to be in a quandry about. You came with your gun. I told you I don't want your gun here. Either you lock it in your car, leave, or take it home and come back. There's no real quandry. Either the event or the gun, one is more important than the other. If you have to leave the planning party for your kids soccer awards dinner, then you should have planned better. If you feel it's so important to haul your gun around, then you should have called me first. I'd have told you no you can't bring it. You could leave it home and then come plan an award dinner or whatever.

Would people consider it rude to just show up and be expected to come in with your dog without telling the host first? The gun shouldn't be any different.

You are splitting hairs and on an issue in which we are in agreement.

If someone shows up with a gun, they tell you and if you have an issue they leave. No argument.

If you do not like the word quandry then substitute "unpleasant situation" of having to excuse themselves from a dinner or event because of something that they did in not making prior arrangements.

Who is disagreeing?

As a matter of courtesy I would always inform my host or hostess that I was carrying a firearm into their home. I'm not sure that I am under any legal obligation but as CCP requirements vary by state I won't profess to know them all.

If the host or hostess were to object then there are choices-I may not have the ability legally or the comfort zone to leave the firearm locked in my vehicle. Or maybe I didn't drive to their home. They are now faced with either asking me to leave and not return until I am without said firearm or accepting that I have it. That becomes the choice and burden of the host/hostess. I am not expected to know your desires until they are stated. If this means I don't attend book club in your home then that is what it means.

For those of you that have stated a preference for not allowing firearms into your home. Fine-stick by it, I'm not picking an argument. One could have the same discussion about someone who smokes, carries a lighter, has consumed or is carrying alcohol. The other point of contention (although with a new twist since it is the only illegal choice) is illicit substances. There are plenty of folks with strong objections to the presence of all of the above in their homes.

In the meantime, as a courtesy I expect anyone who is carrying to let me know when then enter my home and I would willingly return said courtesy. The only exception in my opinion are on duty law enforcement officers carrying out their official duties.

I will speak up. I don't invite people off the street into my home. If you are a first-time visitor to my home it is because I want to get to know you more. If you are a repeat visitor, it is on purpose. If I trust you to be in my home, then I would feel that I trust you on some level. I may not trust you to be alone with my children. I certainly make sure my children don't touch any bag you may have brought in with you (that is rude).

However I don't feel that I have the right to perform a security check at my door for someone that I have already INVITED to my home. If I want to do that, then that happens BEFORE the invitation.

Yes, I know that there have been individuals who have carried a concealed weapon into my home. They did not announce it to me. I did not feel they needed to. I believe them to be responsible adults, and responsible gun owners. I would not ask them to leave their weapon in their vehicle, as I believe it is safer on their body than in their vehicle.

Now, as far as guns in my home. Yes, they are here. They are locked and unloaded. I will answer honestly to anyone who asks. However, I do not ever invite people into my house saying, "We'd love to have Johnny over to play Sunday afternoon, but only if you are alright with the guns we own.":001_huh:

:iagree: Word for word.

In someone else's home:- absolutely you inform them. When in the States I ask permission to bring the firearm into someone's home. I have never had anyone say no, but it is a common courtesy to ask.

In my home:- none of your d#%n business what I have there.

I'll have to have you over for coffee, just to see if you really do tell me. Or should I just assume, it's pqr, of course he's packing heat.

I'm assuming this person has been invited by me to my home? They're not showing up unexpected? I cannot imagine why an invited guest would bring a concealed weapon into my house. It seems like such a strange thing to do. You get a dinner invitation from a friend and go with a loaded weapon??? I think I'm missing something. Unless you're an on duty police officer, I would not want you to bring a loaded weapon into my home, and I would expect the courtesy of you telling me first.

I've never had anyone ask if we own guns. I've never asked anyone if they own guns. I can pretty well guess which of our friends/family own guns. None of them are careless people. If I knew someone with guns who I considered careless or irresponsible, I would not let my children go to their home. I've never been in a position where I felt it was any of my business or had the need to ask.

eta: I misread the last question. No, I do not advertise the fact that we own guns (only two). I consider that my own business.

Edited by Ishki

I'm assuming this person has been invited by me to my home? They're not showing up unexpected? I cannot imagine why an invited guest would bring a concealed weapon into my house. It seems like such a strange thing to do. You get a dinner invitation from a friend and go with a loaded weapon??? I think I'm missing something. Unless you're an on duty police officer, I would not want you to bring a loaded weapon into my home, and I would expect the courtesy of you telling me first.

People have all sorts or reasons for having a permit to carry. Some live in very rough areas, some carry large amounts of money, some are being threatened, some are simply exercising a right, some view it as no different than any other precaution that they take to ensure their safety. If someone comes from work where they carry money they may have it, if someone lives in a touchy area and will be traveling home late at night they may have on as well. If a woman is being stalked she may have one. The issue is not why but rather how they deal with the host.

:iagree: If my guest is carrying then the gun is secure. My children don't wrestle with visitors in our home and neither do I or dh. I don't think it matters if I know or not. Do people think that those that carry pull the gun out when they are in the bathroom and pretend to shoot the mirror? I just can't imagine a scenario when it would matter that someone had a gun on them in my home.

I have always treated other people's homes as if there is a gun in them. My kids have known from a very early age how to react if a friend showed them a gun. We've had lots of conversations over the year of how to act in different dangerous situations. I don't expect anyone to tell me that they have a gun in the house and I would not share that information either.

BTW, my kids all know gun safety and have shot pistols and shot guns. They are not scared of guns at all, but they have a STRONG respect for them.

Melissa

People have all sorts or reasons for having a permit to carry. Some live in very rough areas, some carry large amounts of money, some are being threatened, some are simply exercising a right, some view it as no different than any other precaution that they take to ensure their safety. If someone comes from work where they carry money they may have it, if someone lives in a touchy area and will be traveling home late at night they may have on as well. If a woman is being stalked she may have one. The issue is not why but rather how they deal with the host.

I'm not quibbling with someone's right to carry a gun. I guess in my little corner of the world and the few friends we have over, I'm not used to it. It's never been an issue. Still, I believe it is right for a person to tell the homeowner they are carrying a gun. On the other hand, I feel under no obligation to announce that I have a gun in the house.

Guess it's a good thing that we're not overly social.

If they come home and talk about handling someone's gun. I'm alright floating along in ignorance, just as long as my kids are riding that same wave ;) Once they start discussing someone's guns, though (excluding the hunting rifles hanging over the couch, unless they are talking about shooting them or hanging out with someone shooting them) we have problems.

ETA, we have btdt with dd and a particular stoopid father of a friend.

Gotcha. If a child (Not yours in particular. I'm sure yours are not rude enough to go snooping.) left my house and went home talking about the rifle, shotgun and/or hand guns that child would have been in places he/she had no business being.

Yes, it is polite to inform. I would never go to someone's home with a gun!

If there is someone coming into my home with a gun and they are not telling me.....:confused:

If I have guns in my home it is my business, but it is stupidity and carelessness to leave guns with ammunitition accessible in a home where there are children.

I know some people do it and they will probably never have any issues of carelessness and they use gun safety.

Others, not so sure.

I live in a country where people don't usually carry guns ( unless they are going hunting etc.)

and guns in a persons house have to be stored in a gun safe, locked.

I have visited heaps of people that have guns in their safes, I would thing it very odd if they told me they had a gun. I would take it that they are bragging.

Personally I don't have a gun at all, the few occasions that we have needed a gun we get a friend to come and do the shooting for us( slaughtering pigs etc.)

I have no problem with someone wearing a concealed gun into my home, but I wouldn't want them carrying it in a purse. I would want it on their body, so that they have control of it.

The guns in our home are always triple locked when we have visiting children. We live in a big hunting area; you don't really need to tell people you have guns here.

No, I do not expect a host/hostess to tell me whether they have guns in their house or not. I do expect them to be responsible gun owners.

Yes, I would want to know if someone was bringing a weapon into my home and I would like it to be my choice whether they did so or not.

I am generally opposed to guns at the dinner table.

:iagree: And I want to add what has already been mentioned by pp - police officers are often encouraged, even strongly encouraged, to carry a weapon even when off duty.

I cannot imagine why an invited guest would bring a concealed weapon into my house. It seems like such a strange thing to do. You get a dinner invitation from a friend and go with a loaded weapon??? I think I'm missing something.

Many people who carry concealed just always have it on them. They don't decide all day whether or not to wear it to the next place they are going. Instead, it's like putting their watch on in the morning. It would be strange for them to take it off just to come to your house.

I haven't read the previous posts, but for part 1 - I'd say you should inform someone when you go to their house. For part 2, I put "other" because if you have an adult visiting for coffee you don't have to tell them, but if you are having a child/teenager coming into your home for more than a quick visit (esp like a sleep over), I think you owe it to that child's parents to inform them about your guns.

Gotcha. If a child (Not yours in particular. I'm sure yours are not rude enough to go snooping.) left my house and went home talking about the rifle, shotgun and/or hand guns that child would have been in places he/she had no business being.

My first response was too hasty. I would definitely call and while I'm taking a breath between screams give you a few seconds to say, "Your kid was in MY bedroom without permission!!!" At which point I would melt from mortification and turn my wrath to my snooping child.

My first response was too hasty. I would definitely call and while I'm taking a breath between screams give you a few seconds to say, "Your kid was in MY bedroom without permission!!!" At which point I would melt from mortification and turn my wrath to my snooping child.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I say that it is polite to inform the host-hostess....if there are children in the vicinity.

We have several friends who carry concealed weapons. I don´t like guests to have them in our home, because they are not secured. If the gun is in a jacket pocket and it is slung on the back of a chair, a child can get to it. If it is on the person, it makes me nervous when my kids are hugging or playing with that person.

I have asked friends to leave their weapon in the car or allow me to secure it for them. If they perfered to keep it on them, I would be fine with that, I would just let my kids know to be aware if they are physically touching the person.

I grew up in a family with lots of guns, I am not afraid of them, if they are secured. We own several ourselves. My father used to own a sporting goods store and was a AVID outdoors man. It is just in my blood. BUT.....We were also raised with a healthy respect of what a gun does to a soft body.

We are a family with guns. They are locked in a gun safe with an electronic keypad combination. Only the two adults in the home know the combination. We do not inform people who come to our home that we own guns . . . they are secured. Editing to add we would inform people of this if they asked a direct question, but this has never happened. Only a few close friends who we do target practice with know we own guns.

Concealed carry is not legal in our state except for law enforcement. So informing people we are visiting would be a non-issue. We would never bring a gun into another home without the express permission of those home owners (if they wanted to learn more about guns, etc.) Even then, the guns would be carried in and out of the the home in a locked box.

We have several police officer friends. Even when they are "off-duty" we assume they are carrying a gun on their person. The rule is for the kids not to "jump" or "play wrestle" these family friends. The guns are concealed, so we are not always sure if they are carrying or not and I do not feel it is my business to ask. I trust our police officer friends . . . they are experts in gun safety. They usually carry because, even when they are off-duty, they are never sure who they could run into who holds a grudge against them (and their family) while they are out doing personal business in the world. I feel, since their day to day job is to serve and protect the rest of us they have a right to carry their weapon in case they need to protect themselves and their family.

Adrianne in IL

Edited by jelbe5

Yes I would want to know if someone is bringing weapon into my home because as someone said if they are carrying it is probably loaded.

If you come into my home though I have no duty to inform you of the locked gun locker in the house, because I don't want to advertise it. I worry about someone trying to get in while we are not home with the intention of taking the guns. My father in law had a gun stolen while he was on vacation a couple years ago. The first he knew of it was when the cops called him while he was still on vacation. The gun had been found in a car in the parking lot of a local high school.

I don't feel an obligation to tell anyone I am conceal carrying. The holster I carry is made to prevent the gun from falling out or being pulled out, and I've been trained in gun safety. Swimming pools, trampolines, and all sorts of mundane things are more dangerous to children statistically. I'd be sure to talk the parents about my choice to conceal carry if it in some way involved their children, but since I have no intention of showing kids my gun and I am confident that it cannot be accessed by them (I carry a toddler on the same hip as my gun without fear, to give some perspective), it's really none of their concern.

People whose homes I go to know me enough to assume that I'm carrying, same for those who come to my home. If they don't know me well enough, then I don't know that I would necessarily want them to know.

I did vote yes, you should tell someone if you are carrying when going to their home, and no, I don't have to tell someone in my home unless they ask.

I voted NO on the second one, but I am assuming that for that situation you mean that the gun in your home is locked away in a safe place so that everyone that comes into your dwelling is completely safe. If that is NOT the case, then I want to know because I would never knowingly enter a home where there is an accessible gun for anyone to get their hands on.

I was married to a police officer for ten years and my oldest son is also a policeman. I know too much about the realities of gun ownership and the many situations that can -- and DO -- go wrong. Too many children have died, too many well meaning but foolish people have been killed. Owning guns is a very serious matter.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I would think that if someone came to my home carrying concealed, then they would be responsible. I don't know anyone who carries that isn't. So I'm fine with not knowing. Besides, I just might have one on me too!!

:iagree: My friends who are likely to carry, I trust. I wouldn't invite anyone into my house who I didn't trust that far. So I don't need to know. I also don't expect anyone to tell me whether they own a gun when I go to their house, because it's really not my business and, again, I trust them: I'm not going to take my kids to the house of someone who would leave it lying around.

I can't imagine how to bring this up when visiting someone, or why you would need to. Those who said you want to be informed if your guests are carrying, what would that sound like? Would it be a new question next time the same person comes over?

If I had any reason to believe that someone I invited to my home would be carrying a weapon (like I knew they were in law enforcement, or I knew they were an gun enthusiast) I would ask them ahead of time not to bring their weapon when they visited.

If I was going to the home of a friend that I suspected, for any reason, might own a gun, then I would simply ask. If they told me they were uncomfortable giving me that information, we just wouldn't visit their home.

And, I'd like to thank whoever started this thread. We have some relatively new friends, whose home we will be visiting for the first time next month. I know they do not object to firearms (I don't know how else to put that, lol), and I think it may be possible that they would own a gun. This has reminded me to talk to my friend about it before we go.

I would think that if someone came to my home carrying concealed, then they would be responsible. I don't know anyone who carries that isn't. So I'm fine with not knowing. Besides, I just might have one on me too!!

I don't like guns at all, but I answered the poll that someone carrying concealed wouldn't need to tell their host/hostess. That's partly because of this (I assume they are responsible) and also because I don't know why they may be carrying concealed. There may be very good reasons that they couldn't share anyway.

So I would be okay with someone carrying concealed coming into my home and not telling me. For all I know, they already have.

I can't imagine how to bring this up when visiting someone, or why you would need to. Those who said you want to be informed if your guests are carrying, what would that sound like? Would it be a new question next time the same person comes over?

When they answer the door you say, "I'm packin' heat, do you mind?" or "I'm armed, is that alright?" or "I carried along my gun, just so you know ;)" or "Hey, I have a firearm." or "Oh, yeah! I'm locked and loaded." "Did you want me to leave this in the car?" "Did you want to do target practice, I'm ready!" "Check it out, I have a gun." "Don't worry if someone breaks in, I'm armed." I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other ways to say it.

I don't ask if someone is carrying, but I would expect that information volunteered before they enter my home.

Dh said he would expect the same. And if they weren't forthcoming they should expect to find themselves exiting rapidly once their weapon became known.

ETA, my home is a private residence. Good for you concealed/carry license. We don't honor that here.

Edited by lionfamily1999

When they answer the door you say, "I'm packin' heat, do you mind?" or "I'm armed, is that alright?" or "I carried along my gun, just so you know ;)" or "Hey, I have a firearm." or "Oh, yeah! I'm locked and loaded." "Did you want me to leave this in the car?" "Did you want to do target practice, I'm ready!" "Check it out, I have a gun." "Don't worry if someone breaks in, I'm armed." I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other ways to say it.

I don't ask if someone is carrying, but I would expect that information volunteered before they enter my home.

Dh said he would expect the same. And if they weren't forthcoming they should expect to find themselves exiting rapidly once their weapon became known.

:lol::lol:

I actually totally agree with this. In your home, it is none of my business. In my home I should be told/asked. We only have a couple of deer rifles in our house, no handguns but I would never think of telling anyone our gun ownership status. OTOH, my father brings a handgun every time he comes to visit. It isn't a secret. I would be very uncomfortable if I realized someone had a gun in my house without letting me know.

And if they weren't forthcoming they should expect to find themselves exiting rapidly once their weapon became known.

But of course except under extremely unusual circumstances, it would never become known to you.

I have a few family members who have carried for years. It's never become "known" to anyone, unless specifically revealed by the carrier. That would be following several general discussions of guns, shooting, hunting, etc. I (personally, I know not everyone feels this way) take great comfort in knowing that there are likely many legally armed people when I go out in public.

Dh and I are from Littleton and lived there at the time of Columbine. I knew people whose kids were there and worked with someone whose niece was killed. We moved close to Blacksburg right after the VA Tech shooting. And my kids attended a hs co-op at a church in Colorado Springs for a few years just before a gunman shot church members following a service. (He was stopped by an armed guard.)

On the flip side of that, I went to school with a boy who accidentally shot and killed his younger brother while playing with a handgun left in the family home. A classmate shot his eye out while cleaning a rifle. In both, the parents did not exercise proper control of the weapons.

We've known people for several years, only to eventually find out they carry, all the time. It's not information most people offer unless they know you very, very well and know how you will take it.

:lol: The people I know who carry don't joke about it and don't show off, so I'm pretty sure none of these would happen....

Dh mentioned how his grampa would handle that sort of situation, someone coming into his home armed without asking permission first. His response would be a gun to the head and a direct order to put up your hands and march.

As much as people may think this sort of thing is acceptable it isn't.

But of course except under extremely unusual circumstances, it would never become known to you.

I have a few family members who have carried for years. It's never become "known" to anyone, unless specifically revealed by the carrier. That would be following several general discussions of guns, shooting, hunting, etc. I (personally, I know not everyone feels this way) take great comfort in knowing that there are likely many legally armed people when I go out in public.

Dh and I are from Littleton and lived there at the time of Columbine. I knew people whose kids were there and worked with someone whose niece was killed. We moved close to Blacksburg right after the VA Tech shooting. And my kids attended a hs co-op at a church in Colorado Springs for a few years just before a gunman shot church members following a service. (He was stopped by an armed guard.)

On the flip side of that, I went to school with a boy who accidentally shot and killed his younger brother while playing with a handgun left in the family home. A classmate shot his eye out while cleaning a rifle. In both, the parents did not exercise proper control of the weapons.

We've known people for several years, only to eventually find out they carry, all the time. It's not information most people offer unless they know you very, very well and know how you will take it.

If they were "friends" of mine and had taken advantage of my hospitality in such a manner, that "friendship" would be terminated, period.

I can't imagine people think that this is alright. It's my HOME not a saloon, not a public library, my HOME and I have a right to know that a weapon is being brought into it.

:lol: The people I know who carry don't joke about it and don't show off, so I'm pretty sure none of these would happen....

I would hope they could come up with something.

ETA, my home is a private residence. Good for you concealed/carry license. We don't honor that here.

:lol:

My home, my rules, (my kids) - I expect to be told. I also expect my guests to remove their shoes, and smoking is fine, but outside only, please.

I'm not opposed to guns; I agree that everyone should have the right to own them, not just the bad guys. I just really, really want to know if they are in my house (and quite honestly, *why* they are in my home; I consider guns to be a protective, safety sort of item. If I invite you over for dinner, well, I'm kinda hoping you're not packing, just in case :001_huh:).

:lol:

My home, my rules, (my kids) - I expect to be told. I also expect my guests to remove their shoes, and smoking is fine, but outside only, please.

I'm not opposed to guns; I agree that everyone should have the right to own them, not just the bad guys. I just really, really want to know if they are in my house (and quite honestly, *why* they are in my home; I consider guns to be a protective, safety sort of item. If I invite you over for dinner, well, I'm kinda hoping you're not packing, just in case :001_huh:).

As a smoker, I don't bring my cigarettes into other people's houses (unless they smoke, or I've asked first), because I consider that rude (and there's no chance one of the kids might grab my Marlboros and accidentally kill someone). I just can't fathom purposefully concealing a gun from a host or hostess without having nefarious reasons. I mean, hey, if you trust me so little then why in hades are you here?!?