Menu

s/o sleeper hits of hs'ing

shinyhappypeople

We just got our McRuffy 1st grade Color Math in the mail yesterday. Beautifully done.....like all of McRuffy products. Sooooo.........I would also vote for McRuffy. But, not just their Color Math.....also their SE Phonics and even their Science.

Another good one, that I don't think is widely known (at least not talked about much), is Valerie Bendt's Reading Made Easy. Really great program that lives up to its name.

One of my favorites is History for Little Pilgrims from Christian Liberty Press. I absolutely love how it brought a clear understanding to my DD of God throughout history from the very beginning (Creation) until now. It gave a good basis for understanding what in the world history is for a K'er or 1st grader. Loved it!

I think these are the best deal going for phonogram cards out there, especially if you already own "The ABCs and All Their Tricks." It also comes with a chart with rules:

Phonics Made Plain

Also, Marcia Henry's Words for combined Spelling/word root vocab. Her new version lets you print multiple worksheets, making it easier to use and justify the cost if you have more than one child.

Spelling Plus is starting to catch on, but is still not widely known, it's easy to use, has rules, can be used for all elementary grades, and focuses on the 1,000 most common words.

Maybe not much of a sleeper anymore, but two years ago when I started using BFSU it was. We really like this K-2 science program here, and I'm buying the second volume for grades 3-5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/180-6642928-5301848?a=1432706101

Gosh, ElizabethB, those spelling/phonics look really good!

Edited by sagira

I don't know that I would call them sleepers, but they were more popular amg my "generation" of homeschoolers than the younger moms starting out:

Landmark books

American Heritage Jr Library books

Signature books

(and various other titles published around the times of these series)

I absolutely love them and they are the foundation of a lot of my elementary/middle school history studies.

They aren't designed for homeschoolers, but because of their reading level and layout, I have to put in a plug for the Complete Idiot's Guides (and the ... for Dummies, but I prefer the former). Dd is using the Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History this year and you cannot beat the bargain. The text is easy to outline, and there are suggestions for listening in it as well. We're looking at using a few more in the upcoming years.

I don't know that I would call them sleepers, but they were more popular amg my "generation" of homeschoolers than the younger moms starting out:

Landmark books

Signature books

I absolutely love them and they are the foundation of a lot of my elementary/middle school history studies.

I found "The Wright Brothers" at a local thrift store, we enjoyed it so much I bought a bunch of the Landmark books from Alibris. I wish people here had talked about them more!

Of course, my kids are young enough that we still have years to enjoy them, so I found them soon enough.

Landmark books

Signature books

:iagree: I knew there was some reason I liked you. Besides the excessive obsession with grammar issues.;) Ah, I will never forget the thrill of discovering the Landmark Exploits of Xenophon in perfect condition in the Goodwill book bin.

Mosdos Literature - I first heard about it on a similar thread to this. It is secular, but openly values-based (from a Jewish company), offers a strong literature programme, is easy to use and both dd10 and I love it. Once a week ds3 goes to a morning playschool, while dd and I hole up at MacDonald's and do the week's Mosdos lesson. Definitely my favourite part of the homeschool week!

Ariel really enjoyed using Jolly Phonics. Being a British program(me) it's not so popular here, but it has a lot of hands-on stuff (coloring worksheets, games) that appeal to my visual and hands-on kiddo. CIMT's Mathematics Enrichment Programme is also awesome, though it's not really a sleeper anymore. We're transitioning our main curriculum from using Right Start, which my mom found difficult to teach, to MEP, which we have mostly used as a supplement. I love the thinking skills it encourages and seems to have just enough practice for my child.

We really like the (critical/creative thinking) stuff from Tin Man Press. I think I originally heard about it here, but I don't see it mentioned very often.

:iagree:

Tin Man Press books are excellent. When my oldest two were younger they couldn't get enough of those books (I collected quite a lot of them). Now I'm starting them all over again with my youngest and she loves them too. Definitely books your kids will BEG to do.

The Killgallon materials for sentence composing. My high schooler is reading it "for fun, mom". But they also have an elementary and middle school program.

Absolutely!!!!! First thing that popped into my head too.

We're doing the elementary level book right now (Sentence Composing and will get into Story Grammar shortly) and I can't say enough great things about these little books. Wow. I guess they're made for the PS market but boy am I ever glad they made their way into my homeschool. :thumbup:

Mosdos Literature - I first heard about it on a similar thread to this. It is secular, but openly values-based (from a Jewish company), offers a strong literature programme, is easy to use and both dd10 and I love it. Once a week ds3 goes to a morning playschool, while dd and I hole up at MacDonald's and do the week's Mosdos lesson. Definitely my favourite part of the homeschool week!

I looked this up, and I see it's on the expensive side. Do you use both the student and teacher's edition, or just one or the other?

Absolutely!!!!! First thing that popped into my head too.

We're doing the elementary level book right now (Sentence Composing and will get into Story Grammar shortly) and I can't say enough great things about these little books. Wow. I guess they're made for the PS market but boy am I ever glad they made their way into my homeschool. :thumbup:

I've had the Sentence Composing book sitting around for a year. You are all inspiring me to give it a try.

Lisa