Menu

can you believe they MAKE this? lame!

Ok. I'll out myself. We have these. They are just like massive tongs and my kids like tongs. We still make snowballs from hand, especially when everyone in my family is outside fighting. There are only two tongs in a pack.

But in my house, anything that keeps the kids outside for as much as possible is a toy they can have, even the slightly dumb ones. :D

Jen

I wonder if they make really big ones so that you can make a snowman in a snap?

:lol::lol::lol:

or maybe i should say...

:lol:

ok, if they had packaged these for kids & sold them as a "snow toy" along with the cute little plastic shovels and stuff.... wouldn't be quite so goofy. :p

(still wouldn't work on our snow though ~ too cold! you NEED the heat of your bare hands if you're gonna pack a snowball here :laugh: )

Edited by Gwenhwyfar

We received these as a gift - from my mom, who falls for almost anything sold at a particular outdoorsy store she passes on the way to our house. They were packaged with a snow igloo "brick" maker.

I think they are silly, but our boys love them. They're rarely used to make snowballs - the boys use hands for those - but they are often used to make interesting snow sculpture, then spritzed with food coloring ... our yard was a wonderland last year.

I wonder if they make really big ones so that you can make a snowman in a snap?

I've seen them for sale ;)

:lol::lol:

or maybe i should say...

ok, if they had packaged these for kids & sold them as a "snow toy" along with the cute little plastic shovels and stuff.... wouldn't be quite so goofy. :p

(still wouldn't work on our snow though ~ too cold! you NEED the heat of your bare hands if you're gonna pack a snowball here :laugh: )

And they did come with fake coal and carrots...

Ok. I'll out myself. We have these. They are just like massive tongs and my kids like tongs.

Jen

It's okay, hon. :grouphug:

:D

Laura (who somehow over the years has managed to acquire both an electric s'mores maker *and* a plastic snow man that makes Icees :001_huh::leaving:) (Oh - and who will never, ever admit to this again.)

It's okay, hon. :grouphug:

:D

Laura (who somehow over the years has managed to acquire both an electric s'mores maker *and* a plastic snow man that makes Icees :001_huh::leaving:) (Oh - and who will never, ever admit to this again.)

The plastic snowman is a classic, no need to be ashamed there. Although, a Snoopy one would be better :p

The plastic snowman is a classic, no need to be ashamed there. Although, a Snoopy one would be better :p

Oh, but there is reason to be ashamed: where we live, the kids have all the ammunition they need 6-8 months out of the year to make a rockin' Icee - just go outside, scoop, and add the juice (or something) and they're good to go. We have never used this odd looking plastic snowman, yet, for some reason unbeknownst to me, I keep it. :confused:

We have one of these. The youngest child uses it to keep up with the older siblings when they have snowball fights. It's also used when building.

Hands are also used, but -- think of it like you think of sandcastles. We CAN use only our hands, but it's so much fun to incorporate tools (shovels, differently shaped molds and buckets, etc.).

Oh, but there is reason to be ashamed: where we live, the kids have all the ammunition they need 6-8 months out of the year to make a rockin' Icee - just go outside, scoop, and add the juice (or something) and they're good to go. We have never used this odd looking plastic snowman, yet, for some reason unbeknownst to me, I keep it. :confused:

You're just trying to connect with those of us that have to use homemade ice :lol:

Obviously none of you are thinking like a boy.....

These are STRATEGIC AMMUNITIONS BUILDING DEVICES.....completely necessary for stockpiling massive amounts of snowballs in various undisclosed locations, so when you are found at a disadvantage, you can dive behind a certain bench or tree and totally blast your opponent.

These are vital tools when little brothers are trying to, once and for all, trounce a teenager twice their size.

You all need to come over and let us show you how to have fun in the snow!

Then I'll let my ds pull you behind the jeep on an inner-tube. :D

We have two of them (and we have had them for years). They still use them. They love them. Their hands stay dry longer (and this keeps them outside longer), they form perfect snowballs, they make it quick and easy to stockpile.

They use their hands, too, but these things were a great investment for us.

We could also use our hands to eat, but isn't it nice to have spoons and forks?

I don't see anything wrong with the snowball makers They look cool. I'll bet kids think they're fun. I'd imagine my kids would use them AND then hands. Heck, come to think of it, that's how they eat: use the fork, use the fingers...it's all the same to them.

There was a huge, slightly angry conversation about these on the Free Range Kids blog last week. The Free Range Kids woman basically said, good grief, just let them use their hands - she posted a description where one website was trying to sell the snowball maker by telling parents that their kids will be able to keep their hands safe from the cold snow that way. Then, in the comments, some people who own the snowball maker took it sort of personally as if she had called their mothers rude names. Ah, online discourse :D