Menu

Your current curriculum and what you used for K and 1st

SarahPotter

So, I have been going though threads (ones with the most pages) and looking everyones signatures. I want to see what every one is using!!

Want to make it easier for me?? You could copy and past what you have in your siggy or write me a detailed list:)

I am set on homeschooling my children. I have 3 kids and expecting number 4. Any advice you have for me is welcome.

For preK/into K curriculum this is what I have been doing:

Math: Saxon K (we are loving the manulatives)

Phonics: OPGTR (I use this as a guide and have made this LOTS of fun! We have been making a book. For example, short vowel a. We took pictures of A things. Apples at the supermarket, the alligator at Bass Pro Shops. Wrote a short sentence about the alligator. Cut out letters from a magazine. Etc. Will be so much fun to look back on and read what we have done)

Get ready for the code (but only if he gets to use a blue marker)

And CLE Beginner Activity Series and ABC Rediness Series (C D E F)

Lots of outside adventures, LIBRARY BOOKS and life :)

In K I will plan on adding Zaner-Blozer Handwriting.

What I have learned about my kids style of learning:

DS age 4: anti-workbook unless he can use a blue marker. Wants to know what we are going to 'build' every day. I'm going to have to get creative with this one.

DS age 2 1/2: already doing simple math 2+2=4. Have the feeling I'm going to have challenge this one.

Edited by SarahPotter

I have 3 kids and expecting number 4.

You will probably want to avoid teacher-intensive programs like Right Start Math and All About Spelling. I think they're fantastic but I don't have 4 very young kids.

Combine your kids as much as possible. History and science in particular try to keep them studying the same topic.

Seriously consider delaying grammar until 3rd. You've got enough on your plate already and lots of homeschoolers have found success with a delayed intro to formal grammar.

Guest Cindie2dds

1st grade ~ Oak Meadow 1, Ambleside Online Year 1, Miquon Math with Saxon 2 for drill, Grade 2 Pathway Readers, printables from Starfall.com and homeschoolshare.com and lots of read alouds.

As you can tell, we don't have any grammar yet. Both of programs we use delay formal grammar until much later.

Last year we used Oak Meadow K, Miquon Math, Pathway Readers grade 1 and other book selections from Ambleside.

Advice ~ play outside, read while they are in the sandbox, on the trampoline, etc. Go on field trips, try to get school done early so the kids can spend as much play time as possible. If you like what you are using, don't look around!

I just copied mine from my blog...sorry if its long! This is my first grader...

• Bible: The Children's Bible Story Book- focusing on OT, with activity sheets and weekly bible verses.
  • Literature: Read alouds - The Secret Garden, The Wizard of Oz, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Black Ships Before Troy, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Aesop's Fables, West African tales, Greek Myths and The Christmas Carol. Also added Open Court Reading anthologies. We'll add more when we get through all that!

• Grammer: First Language Lessons

• Spelling: Fall - Spelling Workout A, Spring: using Beyond the Code 1 and 2 for spelling and writing purposes.

• Phonics: Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, Explode the Code 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and Rocket Phonics games.

• Science: The Human Body - I've compiled a curriculum of reading material, coloring and workbook activities, and experiments. The spring semester will be wilderness survival, tracking, nature study, and gardening. Also a compilation of materials and kits.

• History: Story of the World: Ancient Civ. w/workbook. We have a Co-op for additional lessons and activities

• Reading: McGraw-hill Grade 1 reading anthologies, leveled readers

• Math: Fall-Saxon 1, Spring-Saxon2

I have 3 kids and expecting number 4.

me too! :)

I am doing Saxon 1 w/dd1 but we will finish up in Feb or March so we are going to do MEP 1 afterward (it is too difficult for her now but I'm hoping it can expand her mind once she has basic facts down pat). We are doing LA as WTM suggests - FLL 1, writing from that, writing letters, and writing verses she is working on memorizing, narration (she reads & narrates & I read & she narrates), reading challenging books aloud to me, and SWO B). I am reading CHOW aloud (not a huge fan - we're going to do STOW next year) for history - no activities this year. For science, we are finding an interesting subject, taking pics, reading lots of books, coloring & labeling pics, and making books. We have done butterflies, flowers, farm animals, and leaves (1 subject/month).

I'm doing OPG and Saxon K w/dd2 and it's going great (we love the manipulatives and all the learning WITHOUT writing. She is writing names of everyone in the family and then we will move onto HWT workbook. History & science w/her sister.

we love what we're doing this year - I hope some of this helps!

ETA: In case you are wondering how all of this works out, I'll post a schedule:

7:00 - breakfast & I read CHOW

7:30 - youngers have roomtime; I do math & spelling w/dd1

8:30-9:30 - get dressed & play together

9:30 - Bible

10:00- dd1 plays w/ds (special games); I do 2 subjects w/dd2 (of the 4 from siggy)

10:30- They watch Elmo's World; I clean

11:00- science - everyone together; Grammar/narration/writing w/dd1

11:30- lunch

12:00- play

1:30 - ds takes nap; dd1 does independent work (math & spelling); I finish school w/dd2

2:00- ds & dd2 nap; dd1 reads aloud to me

It may (or may not) seem like a lot but it is really spaced out and works for us. It ends up being about 1 hr of Kindergarten (it was only 30 min at the beginning of the year but now that she is reading more, it is taking more time) and 1.5-2hrs for 1st grade.

hth!

Edited by kmacnchs

What I am using now for my son is very similar to what I used for my oldest in K (with a few exceptions). If you go here you can see what she is now using (in fifth grade).

My son's kindergarten line-up:

Phonics:Continued use of The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, supplemented with easy readers, Explode the Code, and, as needed, the McGuffey Primer.

Spelling: Spelling Workout A.

Grammar: First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind, Level 1.

Penmanship: Handwriting Without Tears My Printing Book and copywork.

Poetry: Continued memorization through IEW's Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization; use of the Poetry for Young People series.

Composition: Writing With Ease Level 1 workbook.

Literature: Picture books from an extensive list, alongside books that supplement history studies.

Arithmetic: Right Start Level B, alongside Miquon Orange as desired. Progress to Miquon Red if/when Orange is complete. Reading of math picture books at least weekly.

History: Study of ancients, using Story of the World Volume One, the accompanying activity guide, and supplemental easy history books and biographies.

(Normally, I wouldn't necessarily advocate starting history in kindergarten, but I did this at his & his sister's request; they wanted to study the same thing in some small way:) )

Science: Informal study utilizing Thames & Kosmos Little Labs, Magic School Bus lab kits, Magic School Bus books, and Let's Read and Find Out series books.

Art Projects: Pulled from How To Teach Art to Children and Preschool Art.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

For K we did:

Saxon 1

ETC Get set, get ready, go

Read a ton of books from Sonlight lists, SCM lists for Early readers, and AO Year 0

Artistic Pursuits

Clase Divertida Spanish

Little Professor Science Kits

For 1st Grade we are using a mixture of things:

Science- ES Bio

LHFHG- using History, Bible, Science, storytime, rhymes

LBC Grade 1- using art, music, geography, Italics Handwriting

Phonics- PP and LTR from CLE

Just starting VP 1st Favorites Collection and MP Storytime Treasures

Math- CLE MAth1 and some different blue series from MM

Grammar- FLL

SongSchool Latin

French

My dc are spread a little bit more than yours but we're expecting our 4th child too. Hsing with my preschooler is easy but the toddler can be challenging. Here's what we've done the last 2 years:

Kindy:

Sonlight P4/5 w/ Readers 1 (literature, Bible, science, and snuggle-time)

Spell to Write and Read (phonics, spelling, handwriting)

Singapore 1A-2A + CWP, Miquon Orange, and Horizons K/1 (my ds surprised me by speeding through a couple of years of math)

Evan Moor Beginning Geography

AP The Way They See (art)

1st Grade:

Sonlight Core K w/ Readers 2 (Bible, history, geography, and literature)

Spell to Write and Read w/ Cursive First (will use CF with my other dc in Kindy)

First Language Lessons 1/2

Writing with Ease 1

Singapore 2B-3B + CWP, Horizons 2/3, Miquon Red-Green (just a guess...we're almost done with 2B, Horizons 2, and Miquon Blue)

Noeo Chemistry I

Song School Latin

Down to Earth Geography 1

Critical Thinking K-3

Planning on adding art soon

Here are some ideas (some are just for K or just for 1st, some can be used for both grades):

Reading Made Easy

McRuffy SE Phonics & Reading

McRuffy Color Math

Math Mammoth (starting in 1st)

Primary Phonics

LLATL Blue

Pathway Readers / Climbing to Good English

First Favorites

The Frances Study Guide

History Odyssey Ancients level 1

Elemental Science Intro to Science

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life

• Science: The Human Body - I've compiled a curriculum of reading material, coloring and workbook activities, and experiments. The spring semester will be wilderness survival, tracking, nature study, and gardening. Also a compilation of materials and kits.

PLEASE share! Thanks!

What I do for K:

Five In A Row

Math (whatever seems appropriate for that child, my upcoming K'er next fall will mostly likely be doing Math Mammoth and some MEP)

Spell To Write and Read

Listening in on older kids' lessons when they want to

Read Alouds, mostly from Ambleside Year 0

What I do for 1st grade:

Five In A Row

Math (again whatever is working for that child)

Spell To Write and Read

First Language Lessons / Writing With Ease

Read Alouds (mostly from Ambleside Year 0 and Year 1)

Listening in on older kids' lesson as they want to

I like to keep things simple when they are young and focus on the 3R's. We start the science and history rotation as early as 3rd grade but no later than 5th grade. We do get a little science and history from FIAR so it's not totally absent, just not addressed the way WTM addresses it.

Spell To Write and Read is second nature to me so it was no problem to implement even when I had lots of littles. I would suggest All About Spelling or some other "all laid out for you, no planning necessary" phonics program. We did Headsprout for a while when I was really really strapped for one on one time with my kids. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it did the job and kept them moving forward with reading when life was throwing us curve balls for a while.

i started in june with ds 1.

opg he also reads to self (little bear, frog and toad, franses)

singapore earlybird A & B (then the new book in jan)

working on upper and lower letters (start wwe gently in jan)

read alouds

we are doing a general geography study (globe, kids around the world)

a few u.s. holidays and people(washington)

lit (aesop, poetry, fairytales, bible stories)

siense (lets read and find out books and poking around outside)

spanish tapes in the auto, klassikal and jazz tapes

for prek for ds2 i need to start

gently opg (letter sounds)

hwot

use earlybird A & B as a guide for ideas

ds2 listens in to a few of ds 1s readalouds

plus outdoor play, indoor play and rest hour(or two) daily for all!

I currently have a K-er. This is what we're doing this year:

My Father's World K, Singapore Earlybird (math), CLE Learn to Read (very, very slowly), Hooked on Phonics K, those fine motor skill workbooks from CLE K (the cutting, pasting, coloring, matching exercises). We're also reading poems and doing art from the Core Knowledge Sequence K. We read through half the read-alouds in Sonlight K (Wizard of Oz, 100 Dresses, etc).

Here's what I will start this summer/fall for 1st grade with her:

Read-Alouds/History: Sonlight Core 1

LA: First Language Lessons 1

Writing: Writing with Ease 1 (but not until Christmas)

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears

Spelling: All About Spelling or BJU Spelling (can't decide)

Math: CLE Math, supplement with Singapore textbooks (I already have these, might as well look at 'em)

Reading: CLE Reading 1, McGuffey Readers (I already have all this too)

We do student-led science for that age and I'm going to keep checking the Core Knowledge Sequence for art, poetry, some reading topics and anything else I might be skipping. Edited to say: I might start Prima Latina with her next year, because she seems to already KNOW most of the vocab (she's been listening to her brother and sister's classes way too much, I think)

Good luck with your homeschooling!! :001_smile:

I have a first grader right now, but he's not homeschooling yet. For afterschooling, we're using:

Math: Math Mammoth

Science: Elemental Science Intro to Science

I love both of these.

My plan for DS2's K year is tentatively (because I don't know where he'll be at that point - fall 2012):

Math: Singapore Essential Math Kindergarten A/B (though we might do this preK) and/or MEP1

Reading/Phonics: OPGTR (we're using this now for preK)

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears (will probably start K level next summer)

History: Tag along with big brother using Biblioplan/SOTW

Science: Tag along with big brother using Elemental Science (probably the Earth and Space one that year... tag along with Biology during preK next year)

For first grade, my even more tentative plan (since it's 3 years away) is:

Math: Math Mammoth

Reading/Phonics: OPGTR (if we haven't finished yet), CLE Reading

Handwriting: HWT

Grammar: FLL1

Writing: WWE1

Spelling: All About Spelling

History: Biblioplan/SOTW (will be year 3 at that point)

Science: Elemental Science (chemistry?)

Basically, the above is what I would be doing with my first grader now if I were homeschooling him now (we plan to wait until end of school year to pull him out... he's not in a bad situation, just bored). If I were homeschooling my oldest in K, I wouldn't bother with full on history/science. My middle son is only getting it because his brother will be 3 grades ahead of him. ;) If you want to do science at that level, the Intro to Science is fun and easy - perfect for K-1 grades.

I'd try to keep it as simple as possible. When my 6th was born I had 4 kids ages 3.5 and under. I wish that year I had picked something simple for my older girls. I had bought Winterpromise that year. Bad idea and we gave up about 6 weeks in. My youngest is almost 3 now so I definitely have time for a bit more than we used to. I like Rightstart Math but it's not something I would start if I was going to be adding a new baby.

MFW K and MFW 1- I don't use the Math and most of the Science but I like how everything is right there.

Elemental Science Intro to Science- Even my 4 yo can do this and it's pretty easy. I try to do it when my youngest is napping.

Math Mammoth- Really easy to use. My 6 yo son loves worksheets though. My 6 yo dd doesn't really like it though.

FLL 1- Short lessons and we can finish this quick.

FIAR- We don't do this every week but my kids love most of the books.

Ds is in 2nd now. For K we did:

Math: MCP Math K (I would have used Miquon and Family Math now)

Science: BFSU K-2, first 24 lessons

Phonics: Tanglewood Phonics (free at Tanglewoodeducation.com)

Reading: Step Into Reading, Nora Gaydos books

Geography: My World and Globe

Penmanship: Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting Book A

Poetry: Poetry for the Very Young

1st:

Math: MCP Math A and Miquon, then switched at the end of the year to Math Mammoth.. Ds is comprehending much better, and making great strides :)

History: SOTW 1

Science: BFSU K-2 and homemade topical studies (Human Body, Weather and Climate, Trees and Birds).

Reading: ds read Charlotte's Web by himself that year

Art: Dh's own Art Through History program

Geography: through SOTW and Tanglewood Geography

Spanish: KidSpeak 6 in 1 computer game

Poetry: A Garden of Verses and Emily Dickinson

We have mostly used CLE math and CLE language arts. Other subjects, we sort of unschool and do read alouds. Also do lots of music lessons, orchestra, etc.

We are sort of eclectic homeschoolers. We mainly just try to cover the 3 Rs. Anything else is an extra. We find that if we keep a good balance between being structured and unstructured, that the 3 Rs are covered, yet my dd has the time to explore her own interests. She ends up coming up with projects on her own that are much more educational than anything we would have come up with anyway.

So, I would say a mixture of 1/4 workbooks, 1/4 free play time and 1/4 read alouds/silent reading and 1/4 music and PE is a good mix for us.

We do need to be careful not to overschedule the extra-curricular activities, such as music and sports and homeschool group. It's good to do some, but if you overdo it, you can spend half your time driving all over town. Every other day is a good compromise for us.

Best wishes.

With my 1st child she did R&S math 1 in K, and she was already reading, so we read books. We did typical K topics for S.S. and science and fun stuff from library books and online units. 2nd half of the year she moved into R&S 1st grade reading and phonics which she finished up over her 1st grade year and she moved into R&S grade 2 math for 1st. We did SOTW1 and WTM style life science that year.

With my more current 1st grader, she wasn't a natural reader and as an eager of a young learner as her sis. We did for preK: Letter of the Week, sign language alphabet, and some of the R&S preschool/K ABC workbooks.

For K she did: Finished up the R&S ABC workbooks first semester and did almost half of R&S grade 1 math. 2nd semester she started R&S grade 1 phonics and reading at a very slow pace and we backed off of the math and did a K workbook from the store and units from What Your Ker needs to know online lesson plans.

Now in 1st she is doing the complete R&S 1st grade program. We just picked up where we left off. She follows in her sisters' science and history rotation. We are in SOTW 3 and Chemistry this year, and we are doing Prima Latina and Drawing with Children as a family.

Current: Singapore Math 4/5A, MCT Town, MFW CtG, SOTW Activity Book, Spelling Power, Emma Serl (already finished until Spring, but we did it this semester), Portugues Sem Fronteiras, English from the Roots Up, God and the History of Art, and a unit study on Ancient China.

K/1st: Before Five in a Row, FIAR, Ambleside Online, Singapore Math (Earlybird, PowerK, and 1A/B), and Funnix. We also tried 100EZ lessons, but it was a bust.

I have four kids also 7, 5, almost 3, and 1. You can see what we are using in my signature. I just found Heart of Dakota this year, and we love it. We also use All About Spelling, Singapore math, Reading Made Easy, Phonics Pathways, Apologia elementary science, a bit of Explode the code, Handwriting Without tears, Draw Write Now, and some other random things.

I have 4 boys as listed below. I am schooling 1st and K right now with HOD's Little Hearts for His Glory. They both do that together and then they read, write and do math at their own level.

So, using HOD, both boys do History, Science, Art, Drama, Music, Bible, Rhymes and storytime all together.

1st grader does Alpha Math U See, Handwriting without Tears A, and HOD's Emerging Reader books (with questions).

K did Primer Math U See (but finished and is now on Alpha), Handwriting without Tears K, and The Reading Lesson.

HOD is so straight forward and easy on momma and the boys enjoy it too. Perfect fit for us! :D

Main Curriculum:Heart of Dakota- Little Hearts for His Glory and Beyond

I use LHFHG guide for both my dc who are grades K and 1.

My K'er does entire guide except thier phonics choice.

Math-Singapore with HOD's lessons.

CLE's 1st grade Learn to Read. LTR is only designed to last half a year. I am taking it half speed for my k'er so it lasts the entire year.

HOD uses 2 books from the R&S ABC series, Doing it Carefully and Finding the Answers. These book are too easy for my k'er, but he likes them. I have added Going on Eagrly and am about to order Helping Hands to up the level. I also use the Bible coloring book from the ABC series if it corresponds with the Bible lesson we are reading from HOD.

1st grader:

Does left side of LHFHG plus Story Time and 1st grade Thinking Skills book.

She uses the right side of HOD's Beyond for Spelling, LA, Copywork, Emerging Readers and Singapore Math lessons.

I have added 2 drawing/handwriting lessons from Draw Write Now. I love, love love, DWN. We go through a drawing lesson on day one and on day two she does the copywork.

My k'er also participates in the drawing lesson from DWN, but does not do the copy work.

:D

My oldest is in K this year. We do math (Singapore), handwriting (HWT) and cello practice daily. 1-2x week we do history (HO ancients, tweaked), science (RSO Earth & Space), and/or art (Artistic Pursuits). This leaves lots of time for play and other explorations. My son is a very strong reader and reads a lot on his own as well.

You can see what we are doing for 1st grade in my signature. If I were to do K all over again, I would do FIAR (which we actually did), Cursive First, SWR for phonics, and CSMP for math. If I found myself with extra time, I would add in BFSU for science. But with so many little ones to contend with, I might trade SWR for something like OPGTR. But if your child is already doing well with phonics and reading as mine was, I might skip the phonics/spelling program until 1st grade and just have the child read to me every day.

We are having so much fun for dd's K year!

~~FIAR (all subjects)

~~Ruth Beechick math check list, real life math, flash cards, and will add Ray's for word problems.

~~Phonics Pathways and McGuffey Readers. We have put PP on the shelf for a little while. Dd hit a wall about halfway. Sometimes I add D*** and Jane.

~~R&S ABC series

~~101 Fav Bible Stories. Next year I am changing this to SCM Gen to Deut.

I plan on 1st grade looking pretty much like K except with harder material and the addition of SCM.

Current in siggy.

K4- EB book one math, Plaid Phonics K, Kumon mazes, etc.

K5-EB book 2 and started SM 1, Plaid Phonics A and pre-ETC, SWR games and phonic cards, lots of pre-history books, Everybody Has A Body, Magnets to Mudpies

1st-SM 1A and 1B, Plaid Phonics B, ETC 1-2, SWR, ZB K and 1 handwriting, Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways. SOTW 1 and RSO Bio 1.

2nd, Reading Pathways then Victory Drill, SWR then SWO, GWG 1 and 2, WWE 1, SOTW 2, RSO Earth and Space, ZB 2 and 2C.

I have four little ones, too, ages 6yo down to 9 months. So far, my oldest seems to be ready for a bump in level after Christmas break. Here's what I've done with her:

K: RightStart A, All About Spelling 1, HWT K

halfway through the year we started (after our very short baby break): WWE 1, Song School Latin, FLL, BFSU (this was sporadic, it takes a lot of prep from me)

first grade: OM 1, Singapore Math 1A, All About Spelling 2, HWT 1, Song School Latin (we started over after our summer break), BFSU (again, very sporadic), we'll probably be continuing WWE 1 starting soon

I'm already considering what to do starting after Christmas, but not sure what yet. I can see dd getting ready to make another jump.

My older ds, who is 4.5yo, sounds like your ds. He's very into building things and is always creating a newer and better Lego car. Basically, he'll make a car out of anything he can find, including wood pieces outside, play-doh, pipe cleaners, drawing it on any piece of paper or other writing space he can find. He's doing pre-k this year:

HWT pre-k, MEP Reception (the concepts are a little too easy for him, as he is already doing simple addition and subtraction, but the way they present the material it still challenges him), Montessori-style pre-reading/reading work.

I think his kindergarten and first grade years will look different than dd's. MEP and HWT are going well, so I think we'll keep those. Not sure what else we'll use.

ETA: One thing that we really enjoy for the toddler year (13 months - 24 months) is the Brightly Beaming Toddler year at http://www.letteroftheweek.com . All of the kids, older or younger, enjoy tagging along for such fun as puppets, musical exploration, and simple nature study. I'm looking forward to starting it again with baby ds this winter. I like to find something to do each day that is aimed at each child's level, even if it's as simple as a baby massage or toddler game.

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

My K student who is 6yrs old does:

• Phonics-McRuffy along with Alphabet First-School
  • Math-McRuffy Math K and Saxon Math 1. I'm in no big hurry to finish everything by the end of the school year but we do school through the summer.
  • Science-McRuffy Science and Jonathan Park cds

Lance is my last K student so I'm keeping things light and fun. A month ago I added the Alphabet First-School and he really enjoys that. With the Alphabet worksheet I have him trace the letter, then retrace it with glue and we'll add pom, poms, or noodles, glitter, small stickers and such.

This is really a fun K year for me as well. I no longer stress about getting it all done. We chug along happily. Sometimes we do weekend or night school.

1/2 grade 8ds:

• Saxon Phonics 1
  • Learning Language Arts Through Literature {Blue book} we skip some of the phonics. We do use the little readers and activity book. This is more for fun than anything.
  • Math-McRuffy 1 and Saxon Math 2. Like Lance, we will work through the summer. I try to get three lessons from both programs done every week. Some weeks we accomplish this and other weeks we don't. We do get five days of math in.
  • Science-McRuffy Science K and Jonathan Park along with read alouds.

Again, like with Lance, I'm keeping things light and fun.

I may seem too relaxed but it's working for us. With my last to little ones I really want to stop and smell the roses with them :001_smile:

Edited by Homeschooling6

My K/1st list is:

Singapore--Essential Math and primary math 1A/B

McGuffey Readers

Adventures in Phonics

Elemental Science--Biology

History of the Ancient World (Dorothy Mills) plus extra readings in mythology and SOTW CDs

Everyday Spelling

English for the Thoughtful Child

My oldest child is in public K and we are getting ready to make the switch to homeschooling over Christmas break.

I've been researching like crazy and so far the plan is:

Phonics Road Level 1

Miquon Math Orange and Family Math Trio

The Story of the World + Activity Book

...and a lot of playing outside and reading aloud for fun, playing games, baking, year round gardening and crafts. She will also be in an art class one afternoon per week and continue with swimming lessons one day per week.

Guest Cindie2dds

Looks like a good plan to me. Welcome!

My oldest child is in public K and we are getting ready to make the switch to homeschooling over Christmas break.

I've been researching like crazy and so far the plan is:

Phonics Road Level 1

Miquon Math Orange and Family Math Trio

The Story of the World + Activity Book

...and a lot of playing outside and reading aloud for fun, playing games, baking, year round gardening and crafts. She will also be in an art class one afternoon per week and continue with swimming lessons one day per week.

I remember those days! My oldest was in K when I had #4.

Here's what we did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Except for FIAR, I still use the same materials/methods for K.

Five In a Row

RightStart A

Handwriting (don't remember which one)

Reading Made Easy

Read Alouds for everything else

Tons of field trips and life experiences

I loved K & 1st with my oldest. Our family had so much fun with FIAR. I think I'm going to get it out this summer for the next round of littles.

I have a Kinder and 1st grader. We do AO - and here are my most used resources:

Math: Spine - Professor B CD Rom, supplement with Miquon and Rightstart "Activities for AL Abacus"

Phonics/Spelling: Webster's speller with Victory Drill

Handwriting - WriteStart (I print my own)

Content Subjects

AO with BF American History and Elemental Science. We do narrations three times a week and also do artist study, composer study, and geography study. All content subjects are one day per week, and the AO reading is spread out over the week. I have five children under the age of six. This schedule works wonderfully for us! :001_smile:

Here's what I'm using with my daughter this year (pre-k/almost 5):

Math: RightStart A, MEP Reception, math picture books

Phonics: OPGTR, various easy readers

Handwriting: HWT K

Spanish: Salsa videos, Jose Luis Orozco CDs, picture books from the library

Social Studies: Informal study of world cultures using Children Just Like Me, WeeSing Around the World, and lots of picture books

Science: BFSU (sporadically) & nature study

Art: I use MaryAnn Kohl books and the Artful Parent blog for ideas.

Literature: lots of read alouds, poetry memorization, poetry tea once a week

I have 3 kids 5 and under. My oldest, who is K aged, has Asperger's and we incorporate some computer-based prgrams, as he is really motivated by computer time and learns really well that way. I would prefer a more classical approach, but it is what it is. Our curriculum right now:

Reading: Headsprout (computer based: 3ish episodes/week) and ETC 2 (2 pages/day), BOB Books and other easy readers, lots and lots of read-alouds

Math: Math Mammoth 1A (usually 1 page/day), Kumon telling time and money workbooks, Destination Math (computer)

Handwriting: HWOT K

Science: Magic School Bus, assorted read-alouds

History: The American Story, biographies, Liberty's Kids, map study

Spanish: Elementary Spanish (Discovery Education Streaming)

Character Education: The Jesus Storybook Bible, The Children's Book of Virtues, Veggie Tales

Art: Meet the Masters (haven't started yet)

Music: church children's choir

For 1st, I plan to add FLL and WWE. By then we should be finished with Headsprout, and we'll continue with ETC instead of a formal spelling program. For math, we'll just continue with MM (I'm aiming to spread 1A and 1B over 2 years for kinder and 1st. We'll probably start with Ancient history when my oldest is in 2nd and middle child is in kinder. But really, who am I kidding - I'll probably have a whole new plan in place by then. I'm too new at this to really have much figured out in terms of long-term planning.