Menu

Church politics, bureaucratic nonsense, and the state of my heart

Just venting . .. .

I was told today that my motives are not pure enough to attend a meeting for a ministry I have served with for many years. :001_huh:

It was really pretty silly, and is the opinion of only one person who is exceeding her authority by quite a bit, but it's irritating me to death.

Doncha just love church politics?

Edited by strider

Just venting . .. .

I was told today that my motives are not pure enough. :001_huh:

It was really pretty silly, and is the opinion of only one person who is exceeding her authority by quite a bit, but it's irritating me to death.

I would have been tempted to smile at the person, throw out my arms and exclaim "GOD! You've come! I've been waiting!"

And then walk out and never come back.

But I don't frequent places like that, so it wouldn't have happened to me. Sorry someone treated you so poorly.

a

Just venting . .. .

I was told today that my motives are not pure enough to attend a meeting for a ministry I have served with for many years. :001_huh:

:001_huh: So... are you going to the meeting?

If I were you, I'd speak to whomever IS in authority. When people do things like that, it needs to be made clear to them where they really stand (as opposed to where they think they stand - on the throne of authority).

What an interesting person. I hope this works out for the best.

:grouphug:

Just venting . .. .

Inferring then attacking motives (rather than talking about behavior) is considered an interpersonal "foul" in our church. So while we, like any organization of human beings, have "politics", we don't have that kind. And if someone tried it, she would be the one who would be having a chat with a pastor or someone else in authority.

Is. 50 is a good chapter for cases like this.

Sorry!

Sorry you were hurt:grouphug:

Seems like there is an awful lot of bad feeling toward churches and those in them on here. Lots of hurting people. What has often helped me is to remember that people are not perfect. Our church is only as perfect as we are:tongue_smilie: We make mistakes too, remind myself to read 1 Cor 13., Love bears all thing, even if they don't.

:001_huh::001_huh: I haven't messed with the church in 20 years, so I really don't get what this means other then it appears self-righteous and rather judgmental. I'm wondering what are his/her motives? :glare:

ETA: sorry, I meant to have the top line encased in your original quote, but didn't manage to do it

Edited by Michelle O. in MO

Thanks everyone. A little sympathy really does go a long way.

This is not something I am going to address more than I already have. When this person told me her thoughts this morning I did correct her assumptions and tell her she should re-examine her perceptions of me. I also told her, gently, that this was really pretty silly. (All said gently, I promise.)

If we were going to stay with this church (we are moving an hour away) I might be tempted to push a little more, but even then I don't know if I would. As far as personal offense goes, this was terribly irritating but not important in the grand scheme. My only real concern is in how this person exceeded her authority--I would not want that to happen again with others. However, I think it's probably best in the long run to leave it alone and hope my response to her (in the above paragraph) will give her food for thought.

Just to clarify--we are leaving the church because we are moving an hour away. We are not leaving over any specific unhappiness. If we were not moving there would not leave--there would be no question of that at all.

This is not something I am going to address more than I already have. When this person told me her thoughts this morning I did correct her assumptions and tell her she should re-examine her perceptions of me. I also told her, gently, that this was really pretty silly. (All said gently, I promise.)

As far as personal offense goes, this was terribly irritating but not important in the grand scheme.

Love covers over all transgressions.

Way to be the bigger woman, Strider.

Thanks everyone. A little sympathy really does go a long way.

If we were going to stay with this church (we are moving an hour away) I might be tempted to push a little more, but even then I don't know if I would. As far as personal offense goes, this was terribly irritating but not important in the grand scheme. My only real concern is in how this person exceeded her authority--I would not want that to happen again with others. However, I think it's probably best in the long run to leave it alone and hope my response to her (in the above paragraph) will give her food for thought.

Just to clarify--we are leaving the church because we are moving an hour away. We are not leaving over any specific unhappiness. If we were not moving there would not leave--there would be no question of that at all.

:D Well done.