Menu

s/o grocery thread - meals you usually eat

What kinds of things do you usually eat? Here are our usual meals - and I am being totally honest here, no trying to hide the stuff that I'm not proud of ;)

Breakfasts - usually cereal with milk (maybe 2x a week), toast with peanut butter & a banana or applesauce, waffles, eggs with toast (sometimes potatoes), or oatmeal and a hard boiled egg. To drink: milk (kids drink between 1-3 glasses per kid), orange juice (not every day but most days), coffee (for parents)

Lunch - peanut butter/jelly or sunbutter/jelly sandwiches or lunch meat sandwiches are typical. occasionally mac & cheese or spaghettios (only when I'm really desperate please don't judge me lol), sometimes the kids eat crackers and cheese and hot dogs. Alongside the sandwiches they always have fresh fruit (grapes, apples, bananas), baby carrots, and either milk or apple juice to drink. Parents typically eat leftovers from previous dinners.

Snacks: granola bars (not homemade), cookies (most of the time homemade), fruit, graham crackers, applesauce, sometimes fruit gummies from Target (I *feel* the stares of judgment on that one trust me lol), occasionally the walmart generic oatmeal creme pies (cause they are dairy free for my milk allergy boy) Note: we do usually have fresh fruit (grapes or bananas or apples) on the table and the kids are able to eat those whenever they like. For beverages - the rule is milk only at meals, water between meals (that is my version of cutting back)

Dinners: this one is harder to describe. The kids love ham potato casserole, spaghetti with italian sausage or lasagna, tacos, turkey burgers (almost all of our meat is ground turkey rather than beef), meatballs in grape jelly-chili sauce with rice or potatoes, taco soup, grilled chicken with rice or potatoes. I always serve meat with potatoes (5 pounds for a meal) or rice and we have a vegetable (typically frozen peas or corn or green beans), if we are having a non meat centered meal (like a casserole or lasagna) then we just have bread on the side. We sometimes have a bread (rolls or garlic bread) but not typically. We have dessert a couple times a week (ice cream or brownies). For the most part portion sizes for my kids are not contained - my 8yo will eat 2 full size turkey burgers at dinner (more than me) and we will consume an entire 10x15 ham potato casserole in one meal. None of my kids are overweight at all - on the slim side actually - so we have never limited portions as long as they are eating proportionately veggies and fruit etc. A couple times a week DH and I feed the kids "kid food" and we eat a yummier grown up dinner (Pioneer woman's hot wings recipe, or Rachel Ray steak sandwiches, etc). Probably once a week we resort to frozen pizza (or $5 pizzas) typically because I wasn't organized and dinner crept up on me. ;)

Ok - so enough details from me - what do you eat?

ETA: my 4yo son is dairy and peanut allergic so he has soymilk rather than milk, and his own special versions of some meals.

Edited by Emmy

Breakfast- usually nothing. If anything though, toast with butter, english muffins with butter, or on occasion, cereal with milk.

Lunch- Hamburger, hot dog, grilled cheese with tomato soup, homemade stirfry, kielbasa, homemade sausage grinder, pasta, chicken pot pie.

Snack- Apple, wheat wrap with shredded cheese melted or cream cheese, banana, fruit salad, popcorn, ice cream.

Dinner- Same as lunch, pretty much.

Breakfast - waffles, cold cereal (cheerios), eggs, toast

Lunch - tuna, "cheesy chips", bean burritos, leftovers

Dinner - pasta, bean dishes, soups, salads, salmon once a week, chicken once a week, occasional pizza

Snacks - pretzels, pumpkin or banana bread, oatmeal cookies, apples and bananas, occasional ice cream

We don't eat red meat, and I really try to keep the sugar down.

Breakfast:

oatmeal

eggs/toast

bagel/cream cheese

yogurt/granola

Lunches:

Tunafish sandwich

PB&J

Hummus with raw veggies

Salad

Left-overs

Dinners: (I like to experiment so we try all kinds of stuff)

Soups (basically left over veggies made into a variety of soups)

Grilled veggies & fish

Fish tacos

Pinto beans

Curries with rice

Pasta tossed with veggies

Eggplant parmesan

Snacks

Pretzels

Fresh fruit

Fresh veggies

Cheese & crackers

Boiled egg

Pickle

Good idea. I'd love some new ideas for things to make I haven't thought of.

Two things that limit our meals- I'm pregnant and just so tired and huge and unwilling to stand in the kitchen cooking elabore things for hours, and I try very hard to only buy humanely raised, humane/grassfed meats and dairy.

Breakfast- I will join you in being honest and say usually either oatmeal or cereal because the kids can all get this themselves and I'm no good in the morning. I try to buy healthier Kashi cereals and such, but I know there are better options. Once in awhile, I'm motivated enough to make eggs. Once in awhile, I let them have frozen waffles as a treat. I eat cereal, smoothies, or Greek yogurt myself. OJ or other 100% juice is allowed at breakfast, I give my kids calcium fortified oj because my boys have milk allergies. They eat their cereal with rice or almond milk.

Lunch- Always fresh fruit with something. Sometimes I'll make some soup or a pasta dish from scratch, but since being pg, it's more often Amy's frozen burritos, Annie Os, cheese and crackers, leftovers, little pizzas on english muffins or tortillas, or whatever is easy. Often we have carrot sticks or salad too.

Snacks- fresh fruit, fruit leather, popcorn, any baked goods ds or I have made, almonds, cheese, toast, or whatever they come up with.

Dinner- I try to do better here, but still stick to easy. This week we've had:

salmon broiled in the oven w tomatoes and garlic, whole wheat rolls, and fresh asparagus on the side.

bison steaks, mushroom risotto, and steamed artichokes.

Mexican bean soup and some nice crusty artisan bread. I should have made a salad but was tired and didn't.

Eggs and bacon and toast.

Tonight I didn't feel well so dh made the kids sliced apples and cheese Bagel Bites. I had crackers, cheese, and carrot sticks.

Tomorrow I have a whole chicken to roast and will make potatoes and a veggie.

Saturday dh will make burgers from some grassfed beef, with fries and fruit.

I make tons of soup for dinner when it cools off, with bread and a salad. Lots of pasta dishes. We try to eat fish once a week. We try to have several meat free meals a week, but I don't like to completely limit meat with kids.

My people eat a ton too, and all are slim. Our downfall is sweets- we do usually make cookies or teen ds makes desserts from scratch, 3 or 4 times a week. We drink water most of the day. Juice at breakfast. I drink unsweetened tea. Boys drink rice or almond milk sometimes. Eldest can have cows milk, dd doesn't like it, dh and I drink it occasionally. Dh and I drink wine or beer with a nice dinner or in the evening too, but I haven't for awhile due to being pg and then I'll be nursing.

I can't eat wheat, the rest of the family has no food issues.

Breakfast: eggs for me most days, pancakes (I make a big batch on Sunday and then reheat all week until they are gone), oatmeal, toast, fruit. I usually make either bacon or sausage on the weekend. I limit juice to one cup a day, which they usually have with breakfast (oj most of the year, cider in the fall), coffee or tea for me and dh.

Lunch: I usually pack tuna sandwiches or pbj for dh, and the kids often have that as well. I usually have beans (I make them in huge batches in the crockpot) or leftovers. When we are all home we tend to have homemade soup, quesadillas, or salad. Lots of fruit. The kids can have milk or water, they usually choose water.

Dinner: salmon patties, baked salmon, fish pie, roast chicken, tacos, burritos, pasta with meat sauce, veggie fajitas, stir fry and rice, cheeseburgers, I make homemade pizza most Saturday nights. In the summer it's a lot of main course salads, the rest of the time stews and soups with cornbread. DH likes rice, so I serve a fair bit of that, about half of it brown. Right now local potatoes are less than 15 cents a pound, so I am using lots of those! The kids usually drink milk with dinner. I serve a green salad and one additional veggie with most dinners. About once a week I give them breakfast for supper, which is whole wheat bagels, cottage cheese, and juice (and then DH and I have something they aren't fans of).

Snacks: I make cookies at least once a week, plus we keep popcorn, tortilla chips, dried fruit, nuts, crackers, cheese,and some chocolate around. I make yogurt most weeks. I keep a ton of fruit around, and the kids help themselves to that. Water is the only drink offered between meals for the kids, DH and I drink tea most of the time.

OK, I will give it to you honestly. But if may not be pretty, LOL.

Breakfast--instant oatmeal about twice a week, eggs, toast, bacon OR sausage about twice a week, french toast or pancakes once a week, Cheerios and a banana about once a week, yogurt, frozen fruit, milk smoothie on those days we are running out the door early. Maybe once a month I make biscuits, sausage gravy, eggs and fried potatoes. The same for egg mcmuffin type sandwiches.

Lunch--something fast and easy. Leftovers, grilled cheese, soup, pasta salad, pita pocket pizzas, tuna salad, corn dogs, baked frozen ravioli. Stouffers spinach souffle about once a week. Sometimes if we are not to hungry we will just have something like apples with peanut butter and a cheese stick.

Snacks-- we eat a lot of yogurt, popcorn, apples, bananas, town house crackers with a dab of cream cheese, pepperoni and parm cheese warmed up in the microwave. Not as often as I would like but once in a while we will eat broccoli and ranch and some carrot sticks.

Dinner--way too much chicken, like 2-3 times a week, every week. Chicken casseroles, shredded chicken sandwiches, with dumplings, in a big salad, a whole chicken, fried legs. Some kind of pasta about one a week. Something with hamburger once a week, meatballs, meat loaf, burgers, sloppy joes. An easy night once a week of either breakfast, pizza, sandwiches or take out. Then sometimes ham, pork chops or steak. My side dishes are so boring, some kind or white potatoes 3-4 times a week. Then just peas, carrots, corn, green beans, baked beans, broccoli and cheese are the regulars. Sometimes homoney, asparagus, or a salad.

Breakfast-Cereal, milk, and juice. Occasionally oatmeal or pancakes

Lunch-either PB sandwiches or leftovers from dinner the night before

Dinner-lots of homemade versions of Hamburger Helper, tuna noodle casseroles, chicken and frozen veg, some Ramen on occasion, chicken pot pies, stir-fry, lasagna, salsa rice and bean burritos. I eat a lot of pasta, I know it isn't the healthiest, but it is filling and cheap.

Breakfasts for those who actually eat them (I don't and dh rarely does) are usually consist of juice if we have it on hand and:

oatmeal and fruit

eggs, toast, fruit

homemade granola cereal with milk, toast

bagels w/cream cheese

occasionally pancakes and fruit

Lunch includes fresh veggies like carrots and cucumbers and some fresh fruit and:

PB&J

Mac & Cheese (Annie's)

Grilled Cheese

Leftover soups

pita pizzas (pitas with sauce and cheese)

nachos (loaded down with beans, cheese, salsa, peppers, onions)

Leftover dinners

Dinner this week was:

Sloppy joes (made with kidney beans instead of meat), roasted potatoes, grapes

Grilled salmon, wild rice with peas and carrots, steamed broccoli and cauliflower

Cream of potato soup with salad sandwiches (a lot of salad veggies, provolone and a dressing tucked inside a ciabatta loaf), melon

Bean Tacos, corn, blue chips, grapes

Spaghetti with marinara (loaded with mushrooms, carrots, celery, peppers, etc), salad, garlic bread

Portobello and pepper sandwiches on homemade ciabatta, salad, orange slices

Broccoli and Pasta baked with a cheese sauce, garlic bread, melon

Snacks are usually fruit or veggies, crackers and cheese or peanut butter, chips with cheese, popcorn, the occasional cereal bar, homemade muffins or quick breads.

We don't plan breakfast and lunch; I just make sure all the things are here and everyone kind of does their own thing based on the deal that fruit and/or veggies go with it. I do make all the make-able things, though, and ensure they are there (like the cereal, breads, muffins, refried beans, etc).

I am a food nazi, though.

As far as the "bad stuff", dd and I are suckers for the deli taco dip (you know, the one with the cream cheese and sour cream base and all the cheese, lettuce, veggies on top) and we'll eat a whole tray while standing and thinking about what to have for lunch. So, since I'm also kind of cheap, I make it instead most of the time ;). And ds made vanilla pudding tonight (real pudding, though), and we had to fight over who got to lick the pot. Oh, and I have a terrible weakness for Lays Natural potato chips and canned baked beans. A terrible weakness.

Edited by LauraGB

Well, we just started the SCD/GAPS diet about 3 weeks ago, so here's what we eat. I know... it's weird.

Breakfast:

small handful of soaked raw almonds

eggs from a local source

homemade yogurt with honey

Snack:

Larabar

banana

Lunch:

glass of chicken or beef broth

Apple slices

Chicken sausage or chicken leftover from broth-making

sauerkraut

yogurt

Snack:

almonds or sunflower seeds

homemade pickles (lacto-fermented)

spoonful of peanut butter

raisins

green smoothie (kale, strawberry, banana)

Dinner:

broth

Baked chicken or steak or taco meat

squash pancakes (pureed squash, peanut butter + eggs) w/ honey

steamed spinach

ratatouille or other veggie dish

sauerkraut

cheddar cheese chunks

yogurt w/ honey

Bedtime snack:

yogurt & almonds or some melon or a boiled egg

That's all we've eaten for nearly 3 weeks. DH & DD have chips and hummus, but since DS and I can't have any grains or sugars at all, we're pretty limited on the snacks. The squash pancakes are surprisingly good.

Breakfast: I usually have scrambled eggs with fresh spinach, red pepper, onion and bit of potato with a slice of whole wheat bread and fruit.

The kids usually have scrambled egg muffins with toast or homemade granola cereal. My 3 year old likes to have plain yogurt with frozen blueberries.

Lunch: we usually have what the kids call a "snack plate". It's a variety of foods and varies daily, covering all the food groups, including but not limited to: apples, pears, grapes, nuts, peanut butter, hummus, cheese, carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, crackers or bread. It's quick, it's easy and it gets all the food groups into them. It's easily portable too.

Dinner:

Beef tacos

Stir fry

Chicken Parmesan

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken

Teriyaki Chicken Strips

Honey Gingered Chicken

Baked Ziti

Lasagna

Shepherd's Pie

Stuffed Shells

Honey Ginger Chicken Bites

Chicken with peanut sauce (it's like Chicken Peanut Satay but in stir fry style)

Polynesian Chicken

Pineapple Teriyaki Pork Chops

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken

Homemade pizza

Beef Enchiladas

Grilled chicken salads

Breakfast: fend for yourself, basically. We usually have some sort of bread with jam/peanut butter/honey/etc., a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk

Lunch: Stir-fry, couscous, ravioli (frozen) with marinara or fresh veggies, grilled cheese and soup, corn chips with refried beans and diced veggies, etc.

Supper: Enchiladas, meatballs with bbq or marinara over rice, some sort of beans and rice dish, lasagna, baked potatoes, chicken with sides, pot roast with veggies, breakfast for dinner, etc.

Snacks: Fresh fruit or veg with dip, bread, cheese and crackers, popcorn, yogurt, trail mix, oatmeal, etc.

+ a veg and fruit serving to every lunch and +a veg to every supper.

Breakfast: tuna wrap, prawn wrap, omelette with toast, protein shake with toast.. all served with orange juice and fruit

Lunch: boys eat at school; at weekends usually home-made veggie or lentil soup, or salad with ham or cheese and bread

Supper: fresh fish (pan fried in olive oil) twice a week; chicken twice a week (maybe baked or made in the slow cooker with veggies and pearl barley/quinoa); red meat once a week (home-made spaghetti sauce or a beef stew or pork steaks made with ginger); beans or lentils with no meat once a week; one processed meal a week (tonight will be bought-in fish cakes); the other nights will be leftovers. Each dish served with whole grain rice or pasta, or potatoes plus either two veggies or a veggie plus a fruit.

Snacks: fruit, biscuits (cookies), rice crackers, toast, low-sugar cereal.

Laura

Breakfasts: Always includes milk & OJ, multivitamin, vit D

Eggs, toast/biscuits/English muffins/bagels/muffins/pumpkin bread

French toast (ea piece has one egg in it)

Cereal (most complained about meal)

Pancakes

Waffles (once in awhile - I buy frozen ones)

If I can find bacon on sale, I serve it sometimes. About 3x a year, I serve sausage or ham slices.

For me: either Fiber One w/ milk or steelcut oatmeal, OJ, various vitamins and supplements, heart meds

Lunches: Always includes fruit and milk; whole grain bread, buns, soft tacos

PB sandwiches or hot dogs (males only)

Tuna salad sandwiches (females + DH)

Leftovers from dinner (DS3 & DH only; includes veg)

Quesadillas made with cheese, salsa (DS1)

Deli meat, tuna, or leftover meat sandwiches (DS3 & DH only)

Fruits: Apples, bananas, red/green/black grapes, strawberries, melons, peaches, pears, pineapple, watermelon, tangerines, raisins

For me: Huge salad with lots of veg, milk, fruit, sometimes some sort of high fiber whole grain bread

Dinners: Always includes milk, salad w/fat free dressing, and 3 veg (potatoes and beans are veg) unless it is a one-dish meal.

Pork: Ham, pork chops, bbq pork

Ground Beef: Hamburgers, cottage pie, chili, spaghetti, meat loaf, soft tacos, Salisbury steak

Beef: Pot roast, bbq beef, beef stew, hot rb sandwich

Fish: Salmon croquettes (DH only); otherwise too expensive

Chicken: baked, bbq, parm, hot chicken sandwich, chicken soup w/ rice or whole wheat noodles & lots of veg, stir fry with brown rice, lots of veg

Pizza: homemade (cheese only except for DH - pepperoni)

Soups: Navy bean soup, split pea soup, pumpkin

Hotdogs: maybe once a month, served with whole grain buns, baked beans, salad, veg

Grain group sides: whole grain pasta or noodles, brown rice, tortilla chips, crackers (Saltines or Ritz), whole grain buns or rolls, 4x year: stuffing (not whole grain)

Veg: salad w/ romaine and spinach and various veg, onion, squash; roasted sweet potatoes, roasted potatoes, baked potatoes, boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, peas, broccoli, green beans, squash, various bean-beans, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, parsnips, leeks, green onions, onions, celery, tomatoes, spinach. I put herbs on some veg, olive oil and herbs on roasted veg, otherwise served plain or in a one-dish mixture.

For Me: Usually will have 1-3 oz of meat served, lots of veg, and whole grain pasta or brown rice. (I am trying not to eat much meat, especially beef and pork)

Snacks: The boys eat pizza (homemade or purchased with their allowances), sandwiches, quesadillas, fruit, popcorn made on the stove, cookies, brownies, nuts, OJ, milk. DD: smoothies, fruit, yogurt, apple cider, salad, apple sauce, mandarin orange slices, sunflower seeds. DH's snacks consist of whatever sweets he can get past me and banana popsicles, nuts

Desserts, homemade unless noted: store bought ice-cream (which I limit because DH and the boys can polish off 2 half-gallons in one sitting), brownies (mix), layer cake (mix), cookies, homemade pies (blueberry, pumpkin, apple), strawberry shortcake, pineapple upside down cake, cheesecake, pudding, cream puffs, gingerbread, pumpkin bread

*I do not serve dessert often, but fruit is always on offer. I usually don't eat desserts because I can take them or leave them.

Edited by RoughCollie

Breakfast: DIY. I keep "decent" cereals around, with the occasional junk cereal. Oatmeal, bagels, and ww bread are always available, and I sometimes freeze "Egg MomMuffins" for the kids to heat up. Fruit and milk on the side.

Lunch: Typically pb&j on ww. Sometimes tuna or egg salad. Oldest ds and I tend to go for leftovers.

Dinner: Pasta (multiple varieties), usually with meatballs, sausage, or chicken. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken and rice, tacos, chili, (sometimes turkey, some times beef,) roasted chicken, Breakfast for Dinner (pancakes and eggs or french toast, and sometimes Monte Cristos), pizza, soup and sandwiches. Always with fresh or frozen vegetables.

Snacks: Usually raw produce. Sometimes leftovers. Once in a blue moon, cookies, chips, or crackers.

My problem right now is that my 12yo's appetite is HUGE, but he'll only pig out on the junkier foods. I don't want to limit him (he's a twig), but I'm sick of having leftover baked chicken while tacos seem to disappear into thin air! :glare:

DH and the kids are really picky, so my sister (who lives with us) and I usually eat much differently than they do. But here are some of the things I typically feed the kids. DH eats even fewer things than they do, so if he doesn't like what I'm making, he has to fend for himself.

Breakfast: Eggs/Toast, cut up fruit (apples, oranges, strawberries, pineapple, melon, kiwi and other berries), oatmeal, whole wheat pancakes, non-sugary dry cereal

Lunch: Antibiotic and nitrate free turkey, cheese, peanut butter sandwiches, sliced fruit, baby carrots, soup, chunks of crusty bread, macaroni and cheese

Dinner: Roasted chicken, roasted turkey, plain hamburgers, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower, peas, corn, plain whole grain noodles with butter, steamed brown rice.

I have started making a meatloaf with pureed veggies in it, and the kids will eat it, although dh won't. I've made soup with pureed veggies in it, too, and as long as it doesn't change the taste or color too much, they will all eat it.

Snacks: Nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, corn chips, homemade cookies, fruit, cheese sticks, granola bars

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

Here's what we had this week...you will notice a lot of grilling...dh was incharge of dinner. ;)

Breakfast:

whole wheat bagels/cream cheese

cereal w/ milk

yogurt & cinnamon sugar toast

Lunch:

ham sammies, BK kids meals one day, ramen, chopped up fruit w/ peanut butter

Dinner:

King ranch chicken with green beans, hamburgers with onion rings, hotdogs with coleslaw and chips, steaks with baked potatoes and coleslaw, breakfast for dinner tonight- pancakes, sausage and fried cinnamon apples

This week our meals have been less than ideal..next week will be better!

W

squash pancakes (pureed squash, peanut butter + eggs) w/ honey

s

The squash pancakes are surprisingly good.

Can you post the recipe? Sounds like something I'd like!

Breakfast:

Eggs

Oatmeal

Toast

My older boys usually have: Eggs (2 − 4), 2 pieces of toast, 2 slices cheese, tomato, lettuce, mayo. Then the older one will eat a pb/j sandwich.

Lunch

Always leftovers. If that's not enough, I keep some tuna on hand.

Dinner

Chicken/potatoes

chicken salad/homemade buns (leftovers from the night before)

Chicken soup/buns (made from the chicken bones)

Split Pea soup

Lentils

Vegetarian tacos

Chili (with lots of beans)

coconut chicken curry with chick peas

Pinto beans/corn bread

And, always a big salad with fresh parm. cheese, tomatoes. 2 − 3 pounds of fresh/steamed veggie.

Snacks

Yogurt (plain - they sweeten it with a little honey or jelly)

Bread with cream cheese or pb

Nuts

Apples

Carrots

Peppers

Broccoli

(I make a yogurt/dill dip for the veggies)

Hummus

I'm probably the worst so don't get mad at me.

Breakfast

oatmeal with fruit

eggs

grits (lots of butter)

pancakes

low sugar quaker oaks type granola bars (the kid kind)

poptarts (high fiber ones)

Lunch

Oodles of Noodles with broccoli :001_huh:

ravioli out of a can

PB&J

macaroni and cheese from box

left overs

Dinner

Order pizza probably one a week

chick-fil-a probably once a week

spaghetti

homemade veggie soup

salads

I'm trying to get better. I don't know how you guys cook so much. I have started to try and cook more and I end up in the kitchen for hours and hours. I have to start on dinner 2 hours before we eat. Is that normal? 20mins from start to finish is normally how long I think cooking should take.:leaving:

I do, however, try not to give the kids hotdogs or pork products. I think they are the worst you can feed a person.

I'm trying to get better. I don't know how you guys cook so much. I have started to try and cook more and I end up in the kitchen for hours and hours. I have to start on dinner 2 hours before we eat. Is that normal? 20mins from start to finish is normally how long I think cooking should take.:leaving:

If I'm pan-frying fish I'll simultaneously be putting together a crockpot meal for the next night and maybe a veggie soup for the weekend.

Laura

I hate cooking, so I try really hard to keep it simple. Throwing a chicken into the oven may take a while in actual cooking time, but it doesn't require me to stay in the kitchen. Same with using the crock pot.

I've handed over any peeling or grating jobs to the kids. They still think it's fun.

I only slave over the stove for holidays and other special occasions!

Breakfasts:

Cereal and milk (almost always raisin bran)

Malt o meal

Instant oatmeal

Fruit Smoothies!!! (my fave!)

Weekend Breakfasts:

Buscuits and gravy, eggs and sausage

English muffins with egg and cheese inside

Chorizo and egg burritos

Breakfast skillet... my fave!

Lunches:

Homemade "lunchables" (crackers, meats, cheeses to stack)

applesauce

fruit leather

nuts/trail mix

carrot sticks

Portabello mushroom sandwich! (for the mom!)

Dinners:

Tacos

Roast chicken, veggies, salad

Grilled tri-tip, asparagus, salad

(toss in seasonal veggies, like fresh corn on the cob, depending on time of year!)

Chicken/potato/spinach tostadas

enchiladas

Chili over corn chips and cheese (a winter favorite) and add in baked potatoes on hungry days!!

Asparagus soup with buscuits or rolls

Stir fry... as a side or with meat...

Breakfast:

eggs, toast, waffles, cereal or muffins. With milk or juice.

Lunch:

leftovers

something on a tortillia or bread...lol. this varies from lunch meat to nut butters, etc.

Snacks: fresh or dried fruit

Dinner:

Some of our most often made are:

Spagetti/pasta type dishes usually with ground turkey or italian sausage

grilled chicken/fish with rice and veggies

Mexican style dishes (tacos, pulled chicken on tortillias, tamales, etc.) usually with a side of beans and rice.

Baked potatoes with toppings.

Soups and stews. (most often chicken soups or potato soups)

Casseroles (these get experimented on a lot so content varies!)

Dinner Salads (usually with grilled chicken)

Breakfasts - I used to cook breakfast most every morning but they've wanted lighter breakfasts this year and often are going with the cereal or toast.

Cereal

Pancakes

Waffles

Bagels

Scones

Muffins

Occasionally omelettes

Mile and OJ

Lunch

Leftovers

Sandwiches

Devilled Eggs

Yogurt

I usually make up a batch of black beans for burritos

Chicken salad on homemade rolls

Taco salad

Risi e bisi

Mrs. T's Perogi's

Potato pancakes and applesauce

Dinners -These would make our typical dinner rotation

Homemade Pizza-half veggie, with leftovers for my lunch and breadsticks

Chicken enchiladas

Spaghetti

Lasagna

Homemade chicken soup

Chilli

Beef Stew, cheddar biscuits

Turkey Meat Loaf, baked sweet potatoes

Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk with egg noodles

Pork chops on the grill

Hash, with glazed apples

Hearty Italian Sandwiches

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hearty-Italian-Sandwiches

On Deck: Mattar Paneer

http://www.food.com/recipe/mattar-paneer-85853

My oldest likes to make a Easy Mac :tongue_smilie:before his 3 1/2 hour marching band practice in the evening, then he eats dinner when he comes home.

Fresh fruit and/or veggies, peaches I froze last summer, homemade or storebought applesauce, baked beans (I do a big batch and keep in the freezer).

Snacks--usually something chocolate. Yesterday afterschool it was chocolate ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce. :001_smile: Sting cheese, crackers, almonds or other nuts.

Edited by Pippen

Breakfast options:

Scrambled eggs and fruit

Homemade blueberry pancakes and two bacon strips

Croissants (pre-made dough but at least no HCFS, hydrogenated oils, or other preservatives) and sausage links

Chopped leftover ham from the nigth before mixed with hashbrowns, lightly drizzled with walnut or sunflower oil and baked until crispy (we don't use olive oil for this because we don't like the ham/olive oil combo flavor)

Homemade chocolate chip granola (honey, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, maple syrup for the sweetener) used as a cold cereal with milk

On birthdays, I can be convinced to make homemade doughnuts and serve with hot chocolate and on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, I do make cinnamon rolls the night before and let them chow down. Otherwise, I do keep it healthier.

Lunch -

Extra sharp cheddar cheese and crackers with apple slices and peanut butter plus carrots sticks.

Veggies and meat filled omelettes

Non-mexican burrito sandwiches (few carbs than bread based sandwiches)...chopped leftover meat from the previous dinner (could be roasted chicken with favorite sandwich vegetables and some shredded cheddar cheese then topped with a small dollop of sour cream or homemade ranch dressing), BBQ pulled pork, leftover roast beef (if there is broth left, I will warm it and we eat it as a french dip but with the tortillas instead of bread), chopped ham - fruit yogurt or smoothie on the side and salads

Meatless spaghetti with fresh parmesan and mozzarella for the protein, salads, green beans, carrots, or broccoli (in order to encourage each child to eat two servings of vegetables - I always give them a choice amongst their favorites), garlic bread (I know I shouldn't serve this with the pasta because it is too much carb count, but my family is under the impression that all Italian food should be served with garlic bread and it is a hill they are willing to defend righteously!) Sliced kiwi, oranges, or a handful of grapes is required as well.

Occasionally, I make a sharp cheddar cheese macaroni casserole - whole spelt macaroni, heavy amount of shredded sharp cheddar, milk, chopped ham, red pepper and celery. I serve it with a choice of vegetable and a choice of fruit.

I also make leftover roast chicken, beef, or pork into a gravy. I mix carrots, celery, potatoes, green beans, and red pepper in with the leftover broth, add water and herbs, and cook until the vegetables are done...add the meat and thicken into gravy and serve over rice. Usually we'll have homemade applesauce or some other fruit as well.

Dinner -

Pork roast which will provide leftovers for two lunches

Ham roast which will provide leftovers for two lunches plus chopped ham for the freezer for adding to breakfasts

Pork Chops slow cooked in the slow cooker

Pork steak with garlic sauce - lowfat cream cheese melted and then mixed with minced fresh garlic and sour

cream or milk to thin it into a pourable sauce and eaten over the pork and noodles with broccoli and green beans. This is one of our favorite meals.

Roast Chicken stuffed with corn bread/mushroom stuffing and carrots, onions, potatoes... I make banana bread or blueberry muffins to go with it. The cornbread stuffing is minimal and just for flavoring.

Barbecued chicken - homemade sauce, baked potatoes, salads, celery sticks with blue cheese dressing

If boneless chicken breast goes on sale, I'll take three breasts (for family of six), cube and mix with cubed potatoes, toss with ranch dressing, and broil in the oven until the chicken is done through and the potatoes are crunchy (I usually put the chicken in first to make sure it cooks through since it needs a little longer than the potatoes). We'll have sauteed mushrooms, asparagus or broccoli, and fruit with it.

Meatless lasagna with spinach, garlic bread (I know, I know...dh just can't eat Italian without garlic bread and the 13 year old has also adopted this philosophy), big salads, peaches and cream (which is actually out organic whole milk that I haven't separated the cream from).

Mexican - very popular, could be ground beef, shredded chicken, or pulled pork mixed with my homemade salsa and thrown in the crock pot, served with red peppers and green onions on the side, home canned pintos and black beans, and cheese and sour cream. This is the family's favorite meal.

I like to make a crockpot of New England Clam Chowder occasionally though none of the children like it. But, Dh and I will eat on it for lunches and suppers until it is gone.

Since some of the kids are finicky about veggies in their soup, I sometmes make chicken soup but cook the peas (it's always the peas that they get freaky about) and carrots separately in veggie broth and then puree in the blender when they aren't looking. I mix the carrots and chicken back in and add chicken broth. They eat it down and have no idea just how many peas they've ingested....SSSHHHHHH don't tell them!

This would be typical. It represents a lot of cooking on my part....something that I don't actually enjoy. But, these boys just keep eating more and more and so....ugh! Oh, and Friday night is homemade pizza night unless I am frazzled and then DH purchases from a local pizzaria if our checkbook is in good shape.

As for all of the pork, that's because we raise a pig every year. I also don't pay for eggs. I do chores at farm in exchange for boarding our horse and on the days that I farm sit, I can take as many eggs as I want. So, I have free range organic eggs whenever the hens are laying well. Generally speaking about 1.5 -2 dozen per week.

We do live in an area where good food can be procurred very cheaply compared to other parts of the country. We garden, though unusual weather and a determined ground hog family made mincemeat of our harvest this year, and parents have a massive garden which they share with us. So, I can, dehydrate, and freeze a lot. We have wild blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in the area and pick those in season and freeze as well. I dehydrate apples and can applesauce each fall and when clementines/mandarins go on sale in the winter, I purchase three boxes of them and can them so that I have another canned fruit on the shelf that is not done in "syrup". It does help a lot. After my initial investment in the canning and dehydrating supplies, I am now to the place that 16 oz of organic home canned pinto beans costs me $.30 or less depending on when I purchase the pintos. It's about that same cost for the salsa (16 oz. jar) which we use not just for salsa but also as taco/enchilada sauce. Maybe $.40 for spaghetti sauce...etc. But, it is a huge amount of work.

Faith

I'm trying to get better. I don't know how you guys cook so much. I have started to try and cook more and I end up in the kitchen for hours and hours. I have to start on dinner 2 hours before we eat. Is that normal? 20mins from start to finish is normally how long I think cooking should take.:leaving:.

I try and streamline whenever possible to save time and money. A few weeks ago I made up a bunch of shredded chicken and stashed it in the freezer in 2 cup portions. Last week I fried up Italian sausage for spaghetti sauce and sandwiches. When burger goes on sale again I'll do up that. Today I'm doing applesauce. When possible I make triple batches--spaghetti sauce, chili, soup, lasagne, with the plan to freeze the rest in meal size portions. I have a small DVD player parked next to my kitchen sink and it helps pass the time.

If that's done, I have to think ahead to defrost but I might only have to take 20 minutes to do the assembling before cooking. I do usually have to get something going early in the day to make it happen though--can't wait for 20 minutes before dinner.

This week it's been:

B~hm waffles, pb toast, egg&toast, pumpkin bread, cheese toast, hm pancakes

L~dh and 4 kids pack a sandwich or 2, water, apple or applesauce or orange and hm soup. at home we have the same or leftovers

D~bean&rice enchiladas, spaghetti&tomato sauce, chicken&veg stir fry, chicken&rice casserole, vegetarian chili, hm ch &veggie pizza, corn chowder

we usually have a canned or frozen fruit and a canned or frozen veg w/dinner and hm bread, biscuits or rolls

kids have milk at breakfast and dinner

Snacks~popcorn, pb,butter or cinnamon toast, hm muffins (fruit or veg base)

Edited by joyofsix

I am loving reading about how everyone eats - it's great to get ideas from other people. :) It also cheers me a bit to be reminded that I'm not alone in my imperfect diet for my kids - we try and honestly eat healthier than many of our friends - but then there's occasional frozen pizza...lol. :p

ETA: it is also inspiring to see how healthy some of you eat and snack! :)

Edited by Emmy

Breakfast - Frozen waffles, cold cereal, oatmeal, bagels

Lunch - PB&J, bean burritos, pizza made with soft tortillas, chips and salsa, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, cheese quesadillas, chicken salad,

Dinner- Meatloaf, Smothered Chicken, Chicken Pockets, Stir Fry, BBQ Sandwiches, Tacos, Gyros, Lasagna, Spaghetti. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner, like scrambled eggs or pancakes. We go out to eat a lot, because we travel every weekend and sometimes during the week.

Breakfast:

Husband is gone before I get up, but I think he drinks a V-8 juice and takes a granola bar with him. Our oldest -- I think he grabs a banana and yogurt. They're both gone during lunch.

Me: Kashi Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon cereal with 6 almonds. 1/4 cup coconut beverage and 1/4 cup skim milk.

Nathan: He either scrambles eggs or makes oatmeal. He adds a cheese stick.

Ben: Cascadian Farms or Kashi cereal OR peanut butter, honey and banana on wheat.

Lunch:

Me: Lately, I've had a small bowl of plain oatmeal with one diced, warmed apple, 4 broken pecans, and cinnamon stirred in. I then add a little skim milk. On the side, 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt.

Nathan: Grilled cheese and fruit

Ben: peanut butter, honey and banana on wheat and fruit

or, we all have left-over soup. Sometimes I make up tuna salad, and I have it on a bed of lettuce or on a sandwich while Ben uses his for dipping baby carrots into. We also have peanut butter and jelly on wheat sometimes.

Or, if we get up late and have a late breakfast, the boys will eat popcorn cooked in coconut oil and fruit as lunch.

Snack:

Me: grapes and a cheese stick

Nathan: cheese stick, pretzels, chips, popcorn, etc. He will eat an apple if I peel it for him. :glare:

Ben: fruit, pretzels, goldfish, popcorn

Dinner:

Ones I revisit are:

penne tossed butter, cracked pepper, salt and Parmesan. Served with chicken cooked in garlic marinade and a vegetables

ravioli with tomato sauce served on a bed of spinach. Served with a romaine tossed salad

homemade pancakes with scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. Orange juice

chili with salad and bread or served on rice with side salad

enchiladas with Spanish rice and fruit

some sort of homemade soup with bread or grilled cheese with fruit

sandwiches with romaine and tomato, tomato soup and fruit

potato crust quiche with bits of as many veggies as I can find (usually broccoli, spinach, carrots, onion and tomato. I sometimes add small bits of diced ham or turkey bacon/sausage leftovers.) I serve this with muffins and fruit.

baked chicken, rice and vegetable

beef stew

Edited by nestof3

We tend to rotate through the same stuff.

Breakfasts:

Grits w/ butter and salt

Fried egss, bacon and toast

Pancakes

Cereal w/milk 1%

Scrambled eggs w/cheese on a tortilla (sometimes w/bacon)

Lunch:

PB & J

Chicken Nuggets

Pasta shells w/butter and salt

Mac n Cheese

Ramen

Sandwiches w/ chips

Pizza - sometimes homemade, sometimes from frozen

Dinner:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen from the bag) w/ veggies or rice

Spagehtti w/ garlic cheese toast

Chicken Fettucine Alfredo

Pork Chops w/cream of mushroom soup - crockpot made

Brocolli Casserole

Chilli and Corn Muffins

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Cheeseburgers and Potato wedges (baked and seasoned with salt & evoo)

Tomato Pie

Tacos

I am loving reading about how everyone eats - it's great to get ideas from other people. :) It also cheers me a bit to be reminded that I'm not alone in my imperfect diet for my kids - we try and honestly eat healthier than many of our friends - but then there's occasional frozen pizza...lol. :p

I'm glad my Easy Mac confession cheered someone up. :tongue_smilie:

Honestly I'm willing to go through the trouble to make homemade mac and cheese for my kids but they prefer Kraft. I only think it's palatable with a lot of salsa dumped in.

Youngest is allergic to milk. I have an huge list of food I avoid that cause me migraines (wheat, corn, soy, tree nuts.....)

Breakfast

Homemade granola

Spelt pancakes

breakfast cereal

Hubby eats eggs from the home hens with toast

Lunch

PB&J

Salami & cheese

Tuna

Hummus and veggies

Dinner

Homemade marinara sauce & high protein or rice noodles

Fried rice (brown rice, no soy sauce, veggies from the garden, ground buffalo)

Pot roast & mashed potatoes with something green

Tacos & taco salad

Lentils & rice or Lentil soup or curried Lentils

Vegan dirty rice

Grilled salmon & salad with coucous for the kids

Homemade beefaroni - leftover sauce, ground buffalo, goat cheddar, rice noodles

-- this is pretty much our normal rotation right now. It changes seasonally

Snacks

Tomotoes and basil from the garden with garlic & olive oil and cheese for those that eat it.

granola bars - both homemade and not

Fruit

apples & pb

carrots & hummus

peanuts or mixed nuts

homemade cookies

homemade bread

We rotate through breakfasts of Schwan's frozen waffles, bagels, homemade biscuits, eggs, toast, oatmeal, pancakes, or French toast served with bacon, sausage, ham or fried bologna. On weekends I'll fry up diced potatoes and mix in eggs, a breakfast meat and top it with cheese.

Lunch can be anything from leftover dinner to salad to a sandwich. This week I've made potato soup and grilled corned beef on flatbread. We are slowly moving away from sandwich, chips and piece of fruit lunches.

Dinner has been from E-mealz the past 6 weeks. We are enjoying eating things we typically wouldn't. I think it is because of the E-mealz I'm willing to do more for lunch. There are somethings like chili and potato soup that we love but they haven't been listed on the evening menu yet. This week's menu includes:

Chicken Piccata over angle hair with salad

Family Delight ( a one skillet ground beef and pasta meal)

Warm Chicken Pasta over salad

Pepper Steak and Rice with summer squash

Ham casserole (ham, potatoes, corn in a white sauce with cheese)

Baked French toast with bacon

Spanish brown rice and sausage with creamy tomato slaw.

My husband and I both enjoy cooking although I do the lion's share. We do not cycle through the same meals like some people. Instead, we often seasonally. Also, my son recently left for college so this is a glimpse into the meals of two adults, both of whom have some commitments outside of the home in the evening. Here is our week so far...

Sunday

Breakfast: baked oatmeal with raisins and walnuts (supposed to be served with homemade applesauce which I took out of the freezer but forgot to serve!)

Lunch: leftovers (my husband ate a serving of Vegetable/chickpea curry while I had leftover homemade pizza)

Dinner: My husband grilled chicken leg quarters which he rubbed earlier in the day with a mixture of ground Szechuan pepper corns, cinnamon, fennel seed and cloves. He also grilled eggplant which was served with a homemade peanut butter/cilantro sauce. The meal was accompanied by brown rice. (Yeah, we could have used more veg but hey—my husband cooked!)

Monday

Breakfast: cereal with fruit and almond milk for my husband as well as a glass of OJ. I ate a small serving of cereal with milk before my walk, a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter after. Lots of black coffee fuels my day…I tend not to consume fruit with breakfast so I usually have a piece of fruit mid morning.

Lunch: I took a German student out for lunch. I had a cup of pasta fagioli and a half of a chicken sandwich. My husband ate more of the vegetable curry leftovers.

Dinner: My husband took two IT students out for dinner. He ate a Greek chicken sandwich with tzatziki and a side salad. I ate leftovers from Sunday.

Tuesday

Breakfast: Leftover baked oatmeal

Lunch: Digging in the fridge I found some leftover cooked acorn squash. I sautĂƒÂ©ed onion in olive oil, mashed in a couple of anchovies, added mashed squash. Ate this over whole wheat rigatoni with parmesan. My husband ate Sunday leftovers.

Dinner: Homemade chicken soup, using two of the grilled leg quarters from Sunday. I added onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, spinach. This was served with some purchased rolls.

Wednesday

Breakfast: Husband ate cereal while I ate a fried egg and cheese on whole wheat toast.

Lunch: Leftover soup for all.

Dinner: Calzone filled with ratatouille that was made last summer from the excess veg in our CSA box (I put several packages of this in the freezer) and some grated mozzarella. I essentially use Julia Child’s pizza dough recipe but substitute white wheat for some of the plain flour. It was a grab and go dinner as we were volunteering at a 4-H event.

Thursday

See pattern…

Dinner: Mussels in butter/garlic sauce serve over whole wheat pasta. Spinach added to pasta mixture—I will add spinach to just about anything. Tomato/cucumber salad.

Snacks:

Oranges, bananas, apples, cheese and crackers, pretzels, yogurt (I like plain, my husband likes flavored). We are hot tea drinkers, seltzer water in hot weather. No soda in this house. Fewer sweets now that The Boy is off at college.

Edited by Jane in NC
missing ingredient

Breakfast: We generally don't eat. Sometimes we might eat some fruit, go out to breakfast, or eat a donut or danish, etc., but those times are rare. We often drink hot tea of some sort in the morning.... We sometimes drink juice, iced tea, or something else.

Lunch: We most often eat out and this is my main (and usually only) meal of the day. Types of things we eat: hamburgers and fries from someplace like Backyard Burger, Culver's or Steak and Shake. Other types of sandwiches from Schlotsky's or Arby's. Mediterranean food such as chicken shwarma, lamb and beef shwarma, houmas, etc. Seafood from Red Lobster. Soups, salads and/or sandwiches from Panerra. Chile con Queso and cheese enchiladas from a Mexican restaurant. Lasagna, pizza, or fettucine alfredo and salads from Fazoli's. Occasionally better Italian food from a locally owned place. Pizza from various places. Sushi from various places. Asian food from Fulin's or Yamamoto's....

We don't really usually eat snacks. Sometimes a dessert is purchased after lunch, like a piece of baklava, a cookie, etc., but that's not always. Sometimes in the afternoon when we're running around to sports events or something a candy bar will be purchased or some gum.

Dinner: typical rotational meals include gumbo, red beans and rice, white beans and rice, pancakes and bacon, pot roast, beef stew, spaghetti, hamburgers, sloppy joes, tacos, chicken and barley stew, barbecue chicken or honey-mustard glazed chicken. I sometimes buy fried chicken because I just cannot make flavorful fried chicken for whatever reason.

Most of those meals have the vegis built into the dish save for the breakfast for dinner. We sometimes have fruit with that, but not all that often. With the spaghetti, hamburgers, sloppy joes, barbecue or honey-mustard chicken, I may prepare a salad and/or various fresh seasonal or frozen vegis, such as corn, beans, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. I may also serve fruit with or in place of vegis, depending on what I happen to have in the house. I use mostly fresh fruits but sometimes use canned (jarred) in the winter. I also alternate other types of pastas with traditional spaghetti and usually serve garlic bread (either pre-made or versions I make myself) alongside Italian meals.

I sometimes prepare fish as home, but not often, as I'd rather serve wild-caught than farmed....

I used to prepare turkey and ham more often, but they got tired of it, so it hasn't been in my rotation for a while. I do still tend to prepare this at holiday times, along with stuffing (I just like Stove Top), sweet potato and/or carrot casseroles, butternut squash soup, yeast rolls (I don't make them), green bean casserole, cranberry sauce (canned), etc.

On the weekends, we tend to just snack. I don't cook unless it's a holiday. Then we'll eat things like a spoonful of peanut butter (Jif), pb on bread (generally whole wheat) and various cheeses with spelt or other breads and/or whole grain crackers of various sorts. Yogurt, organic cereals, nuts - stuff like that tends to be eaten on weekends....

I don't really make desserts too much at home. Sometimes we'll make a pan of brownies. Sometimes I'll make banana pudding if I have bananas that are over-ripe....

B'fast:

yogurt w. granola and fruit (hubby)

Wheetabix dunked in cafe latte (me - won an espresso maker from Pioneer Woman!)

two plain pancakes OR plain dry Cherrios, juice (SillyAutismBoy)

plain small bagel with Nutrella, milk (youngest dd)

whatever leftovers she finds or diet yogurt (older dd)

Lunch:

spinach and sprouts and pepper jack cheese and meat if have any in an Aldi's thin wheat wrap (me)

sandwich or leftovers and fruit (hubby)

jam on bread, apple, juice, pudding cup (SAB)

nothing (girls - they refuse to eat lunch)

Dinner:

pasta (imported Italian ONLY acceptable to hubby raised by a half-Italian mom - I get it in bulk when on sale at the import store.)

roasted meat

pork chops

chicken

One of the above - since SAB and girls may or may not eat the entree, it can last several nights.

Sides: more pasta, rice, couscous, taters. All cooked PLAIN (no gravy, etc.)

Veggies - broccoli, corn, fresh green beans, petite peas, squash.

Since hubby won't go near mushrooms or gravy/sauces (except pasta sauce) or salad dressings, kids won't go near the above either OR onions - food here is pretty bland. Silly Autism Boy would live on McD. french fries and pizza 24/7 if he could (both are rare, maybe once a month!!!). He is very picky. We do NOT eat out, can't afford it, unless on a road trip, and then we drink water, no sodas, no appetizers - heck, it is fast food mostly.

We do have desserts everyday - one of the few things SAB will eat. Older girl and I try to not eat them (diet). Oh, and SAB gets a special protein drink every evening (only form of protein he accepts) and the powder costs about $60 for a two-month supply.

No chips, soda, etc. here. Waste of money.

Edited by JFSinIL
Had to finish.

Breakfast

DH - unless I make a big pot of oatmeal or pancakes/waffles etc he usually has a bowl of cereal and a glass of milk.

DS - a scrambled egg with a little bit of pepper, a piece of toast (sometimes, he lets me know if he wants it), fruit, and milk. Oh, and several bites of whatever I'm eating.

Me - a half cup of oatmeal with a little brown sugar and maple syrup and fruit OR a scrambled egg with S&P and fruit.

Once or twice a week I'll make pancakes/waffles and we'll all have that and a slice of bacon instead.

Lunch

DH - is at school so he usually just takes an assortment of snacks to nibble on during the day - granola bars, fruit, crackers, cup-o-noodles etc.

DS - homemade mac-n-cheese, rice and veggies, cheese and crackers, leftovers, cereal bars/pop tarts (occasionally, usually if he's not feeling well and is refusing to eat. He loses weight really fast if he skips a meal or two), and a few bites of whatever I'm eating.

Me - Veggies and rice, popcorn, leftovers, baked potato, or a bowl of pinto beans. Sometimes I'll make extra mac-n-cheese or slice a few extra slices of cheese and have that, but I'm a cheese addict and could literally eat a 2lb block all by myself in one sitting so I try to avoid it.

Dinner

Oh, lots of things. We have spaghetti (or lasagna) every Tuesday. I have a huge list of dishes that I rotate through so that we don't get bored. Everything from bean burritos to meatloaf to sweet-n-sour rice etc. Now that it is getting cooler we'll be doing a soup once a week as well. Sides are usually rice, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, or twice baked potatoes, and a vegetable (salad, green beans, corn, broccoli etc).

Snacks

Crackers, fruit, popcorn, spoonfuls of peanut butter, toast, vegetables etc...

Breakfasts (we don't eat bkfst every day):

Smoothies (usually - and a handful of raw nuts)

English Muffins or Bagels (sometimes)

Eggs/toast (sometimes)

Cereal/milk (occasionally)

Lunches:

Homemade cheese quesadillas w/fresh guac and salsa

Sandwich of some sort (tuna, turkey)

Leftovers

Snack-type lunch (chips/salsa, hummus/pitas, apples/pb)

Boxed Mac/Cheese (Annie's - ds will eat a whole box)

Snacks:

Fruit

Raw nuts

Fruit smoothies

cereal/milk

Veg w/dip

Chips/salsa

Homemade cookies, raw balls, homemade vegan pb cups (if have any)

Supper:

Various types of Mexican casseroles w/beans and/or meat

Homemade soups (I LOVE soups, especially in winter)

Potato

Veggie

Hungarian Mushroom

Egg-drop

French Onion

Chicken Noodle

Roast for dh (occasionally - gives him lots of meals)

Spaghetti

Salmon pasta

Chicken/spinach

Chicken/biscuits (these 2 chicken casseroles are my kids' faves)

Thai curry w/wraps, etc.

Homemade egg rolls w/fried rice & stir-fried green beans

Shrimp in a homemade cream sauce over pasta

Red or White beans w/rice, cornbread & greens

Quinoa dish w/sun-dried tomatoes

Bbq chicken (dh will cook this)

Chicken wraps (dh makes these too)

Picante chicken wraps (I do these indoors)

Fish (dh will blacken or grill - I will saute or broil)

I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Let me just throw in this picante chicken recipe, because it's SO easy, and others might like it.

Sliced boneless, skinless breasts

Picante sauce

Throw them in a skillet together and simmer til the chicken breasts are cooked. Wrap in tortillas with guacamole, sour cream, or whatever fixins you like! Can't get much easier than that!!