Menu

Anybody have a freezer in the garage? PLEASE HELP!

cin

We currently have an upright freezer in our garage. This past week the temps have been unseasonably warm, topping out at 90ish. The freezer is new, and we've never had one in the garage before. Does this work? Does the food stay frozen? I had 4 bags of biscuits in the freezer, and this morning when the kids opeend the garage to ride their bikes, the freezer was beeping. I opened it and the biscuits were 4 bags of dough. UGH and the bags were dripping with condensation. UGH

Is this because the freezer is in the garage? I thought I'd seen this before and it would be 'ok'. not the most energy efficient, but it would work....>sigh< The freakin' thing is only 6 days old. :blink:

I have a feeling the door was left ajar. Having it in the garage won't be a problem. You just have to doublecheck to make sure the door is closed!

I agree. I found my food regularly thawed and finally removed the kids popcicles from that freezer. That ended the thawing problem. Seems they would get it closed but not quite...

My grandmother always kept her deep freeze on a screened porch and never had problems. I have 3 freezers in my garage, our summer temps regularly reach 100 and never had any problems - that is unless the door was opened.

Also, make sure the temperature settings are still in the correct places. My dh 'reset ' mine once and that caused problems.

You can also change the temp of a freezer fast and lead to thawing if you add too many warm foods at once - OAMC cooking for example.

Make sure the outlet it is plugged in to is not one that doesn't have power when you turn the light switch off.

It's either 1) door left open, 2) problem with electricity to the freezer (fuse blown, overnight power outage, etc.), or 3) problem with the freezer itself. Rule out the first two before calling in a repair/warranty guy.

Yes, we have a freezer in our garage and we live in Central Cal where summer temps are generally over 100 degrees. The only times I've had trouble like you've described is when I haven't shut the door all the way. So, if that's not your problem then you should probably have the freezer looked at.

...is what else is plugged into the same circuit as the freezer. (Note NOT the same plug, but the same circuit from the breaker.) If there is another large load plugged in there then it is possible that the freezer will not be able to start up successfully. If nothing else, you may want to check to see if the freezer has blown the circuit breaker.

We have this problem as we have a chest deep freeze and an upright refrigerator in our garage. The are currently on the same circuit and if there is a brief power outage they BOTH try to start up simultaneously, which is very hard on them. I am currently working on adding more circuits into the garage to avoid the problem.

(FWIW, I will point out that deep freezes are generally OK in the garage since they typically keep the inside colder than the outside temperature. Ours is set to about -20F. The refrigerator we have in our garage is a special unit designed for garage use. I contains a heater in case the temperature in the garage is too cold for normal operation.)

We currently have an upright freezer in our garage. This past week the temps have been unseasonably warm, topping out at 90ish. The freezer is new, and we've never had one in the garage before. Does this work? Does the food stay frozen? I had 4 bags of biscuits in the freezer, and this morning when the kids opeend the garage to ride their bikes, the freezer was beeping. I opened it and the biscuits were 4 bags of dough. UGH and the bags were dripping with condensation. UGH

Is this because the freezer is in the garage? I thought I'd seen this before and it would be 'ok'. not the most energy efficient, but it would work....>sigh< The freakin' thing is only 6 days old. :blink:

We have not had any problems with our freezer o/s in the garage.

We live in the Houston metroplex area where the summer temps are high both day and night. We've always had our upright freezer in the garage.

I do keep it filled though. Any space not filled with food is filled with milk containers filled with water (now ice of course). A freezer is more efficient if it is full.

Isn't your freezer kind of new? It really works best when full - maybe you haven't gotten it all stocked up yet!

Try filling a few gallon jugs or plastic ice cream tubs with water to take up some of the empty space. That should help your freezer maintain a more constant temperature.

Oh, and it does sound like maybe the door was left open, perhaps by a curious explorer... Many people who have fridge/freezers in a garage choose to put locks on them to prevent kids from playing in them (and to prevent the disappearance of anything from popsicles to cans of cold beer).

Edited by AuntieM

She said the freezer was beeping, which means it still had a power supply. Ours is on a GFI switch too, and when that trips, the whole thing just shuts down. Luckily it's on the same circuit as my garage door opener so I usually notice it pretty quickly.

And I agree with everyone else: It was either left partially open or it's faulty. I'm in NorCal where we routinely have triple digit summer days and I've never had an issue with having an upright freezer in my garage.

Our freezer is in the garage, and it gets HOT HOT HOT here. No problems.

Be sure that when you close the freezer, you hear and/or feel a strong suction (I know that sounds gross, but I don't know how else to phrase it).

Sometimes even when you close the door, it doesn't actually "catch." This happened to my father-in-law once and he'd just bought an entire side of grass fed beef. He was NOT happy.

I have 2 chest freezers in the outside laundry. It gets quite hot here. no idea what it is in F but it can get to 45oC (not very often) but most of summer is in the high 30's

I have never had any problem with my freezers. though I do think it is important to keep them full. If you only have cookies in them , I would suggest filling bottles with water and putting them in . The fuller the freezer is, the more efficient it runs.