Menu

I never thought I'd be asking this on the boards again, but I need baby name help.

Dd called early this morning just sobbing her heart out. One of her closest friends, who was due 2 weeks after her, had her baby already and took dd's boy name. Both couples had kept their name choices a secret, so it's not like the name was stolen, but still...you know how it is that last month of pregnancy. Everything feels like a disaster.

The name they had chosen was Seth. I told dd I would ask for one-syllable or short boy names here. Their last name is long. They're not sure if it's a boy or girl, but they have their girl name all figured out. They are adamantly opposed to using Seth now, so dd and her dh just want a new name.

Dd grew up watching me get baby name help for her siblings on this forum and was happy when I said I'd ask here for her.

Edited by Luann in ID

Honestly, I would say use the name Seth. There is no guarantee that the other girl will still be friends in a year or more. If you like the name, go with it.

But, as it is, I agree. We chose to change the name of our son after my cousin used our first 2 choices as her son's first and middle name (and no, she didn't have any idea either).

Not all of these are 1 syllable, but they have short spellings. Our last name has 8 letters so we went for short spellings LOL.

Jay

James

Ben

Alex

Ryan

Will

Mark

Drew

Jake

John

Bert

Chris

Dale

Doug

Bill

Ray

Roy

Max

Andy

Levi

Dean

Dan

Evan

Frank

Greg

Ian

Kirk

Lewis

Matt

Noah

Nate

Owen

Joel

Sam

Steve

Tom

Ted

Vince

Does it have to be a short name, or will a nickname do? Jake, Tom, Nick, Jack, John, Bill, Jay, Tim, Bob, Ben, Cab, Dave, Fred, Gus, Guy, Ghee, Gray, Hal, Lou, Len, Paul, Pete, Piers, Vince, Wade, Zeb, Zack.

ETA: Mark and Luke.

Best wishes to your daughter,

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Honestly, I would say use the name Seth. There is no guarantee that the other girl will still be friends in a year or more. If you like the name, go with it.

:iagree: :iagree:

Tell her to stick with Seth! Beautiful name (my son's name and I absolutely love it :), tell her to keep her plan and go with it! I remember when I had my 7 yo dd, I loved a certain name, but didn't end up using it because my other dd had a friend with that name - I regretted letting something so silly and insignifant in the long term get in the way of a lifetime choice for my child!!

Blessings,

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-Tina ~

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/

I had a friend "steal" "Caroline" from me, but it ended up being OK. The REAL Caroline was born 11 years later when we lived in another state away from our close friends. Caroline is so much more of a Caroline than the first dd that I planned on naming Caroline.

I also had a sobbing party when another friend named their boy Samuel two weeks before my Samuel, who ended up actually being the real Caroline, was born. :D

Give your dd a hug from me. I totally understand. :grouphug:

My favorites from above posts:

Luke

Levi

Caleb

James

My youngest is named Seth. It's a wonderful name.

I honestly would still use the name. There is no guarantee that her son and their son will be friends their entire lives. Are you still in close contact with the people you were friends with when your daughter was born? Would it have been a huge problem if you had used the same name as one of your closest friends at that time?

Ugh. This happened to my sister and I. She was due a few months b4 me. Both us were having our fourth baby. One day my mom and I were chatting and she mentioned the name sis had picked out for a boy. You guessed it. It was what we had chosen!! I loved, LOVED this name and had been planning on it since our third son was born. I was really shocked and so depressed...trying to hide the emotion on the phone with mom. If it had been a friend...I wouldn't have thought twice about still using it and I think you're daughter shouldn't either. But she's my sister. I'm almost over it now. Anyways, the name was Henry. :)

Edited by mommyjen

You know, reverse psychology helps a bit. I liked the names Caleb and Seth for my 1st, but then we couldn't use them either. I consoled myself by saying that when you yell Caleb across a field, it may sound like Kayla, and Seth is hard to say if you have a lisp, and I don't want anyone calling my son Seff. :lol: Maybe your dd will feel better then. :lol: (No offense to anyone who named their boys those names, that's just what I had to tell myself to believe in order to get over not being able to use them.)

As for name ideas, how about Rhett, Dale, Wayne, Nate, Blais or Blaze, Jack, Zade, Phil, Greg, Hawk, Mark, Bryce, Scott, Blair, Trent?

Have her check out this website:

Nymbler

She can type in Seth and other sibling names or names they liked and it will come up with names with a similar feeling.

I typed it in and here are some of the one syllables is gave (it also gave A LOT of short, two-syllable names):

Joel

Bram

Cain

Sol

Jan

guy

Nate

Tal

Judd

HTH!

Sean Thomas is certainly clever! My littlest boy is named Will. Feel free to pass that on. Lol.

Sean Thomas is indeed clever, but Thomas was her former boyfriend's name, so that's a definite no-go. I love Will, but that is her dh's 3yo brother's name. He would constantly be confused with Uncle Will.

I'm really supposed to be discussing Paradise Lost, but this is so much more fun. Must get back to school. I'll be back later.

We have:

James Joshua Wilson - nickname is J, named for a GGrandad, a second cousin who had been killed in a car accident and then the Wilson was for another GGrandad and GUncle. All had passed between being pregnant with DD1 and the arrival of DS.

Elias Jack - for the most part is called Eli

My husband really wanted Jack for the last one, but I was adamant I was not having a son called Jack, so I compromised some. Mind you, he got named as we were heading the hospital to have him.

Other names we liked:

Lucas

Elijah

Zarek

I think she should just use Seth. She likes it, she picked it. THe other mom will totally understand and when they are together they can just refer to the boys with their middle names included.

I totally agree. This same thing happened to me with my 2nd son and we used a different name - of course a year later our dear friends that had used our name moved out of state and we see them but once a year LOL.

As someone who refused to give up my dream name for a girl (Megan) even when my sil used it (she was furious) I say keep the name Seth! It is a lovely name and shouldn't matter one bit if someone else used it first.

Anecdote: While in Mexico with my sil (the one who also has a Megan and was ready to kill me for using the name) our girls were walking together. My sil turned and called them saying, "Megans, come here!" They both turned and ran toward us at the same time and sil said how cute that was. She then proceeded to take tons of pictures of the two Megans together. I'm so glad I didn't go with the trend of "Don't steal/use "my" name" that exists today.

Use the name you love because in the long run the fact that someone else also used it won't matter.

Luke, Chad, Sam, Jack, Nick, John...

I remember when my sister asked if she could use my "girl" name after I had my first baby. She had a girl shortly after my first son, but I fully intended to use it later and was a bit astonished that she would even ask. She felt my hesitation and chose a similar name instead - I never had a girl :tongue_smilie:

Poor mama-to-be! I have a friend whose cousin took the name she'd always planned on using for a girl, first and middle names.

One syllable-ish boy's names were mostly all we considered.

Mark

John

Luke

Thad

Drew

Joel (I had a student named Joel and loved the name--my husband wouldn't consider it though)

Sean

Geoff

Blake

Neal

Bryce

Grant

Lee

Ward

Although not one syllable I seriously considered Daniel and Thomas knowing they'd be shorted to Dan and Tom.

Luke, Chad, Sam, Jack, Nick, John...

I remember when my sister asked if she could use my "girl" name after I had my first baby. She had a girl shortly after my first son, but I fully intended to use it later and was a bit astonished that she would even ask. She felt my hesitation and chose a similar name instead - I never had a girl :tongue_smilie:

I've said this here before, but my sister stole the first and middle names we had chosen for our 4th daughter. She had her daughter two months before ours. I wished I had never told her, but I never dreamed she would do that. We're still good friends.