Menu

Do you love your Crock Pot?

:bigear:

I've been in the market for a new Crock Pot too, and I'm not very happy with the selection out there! I just returned a pricey stainless steel one to Amazon because the one time I used it, the stainless was so hot I accidentally scorched my hand. I didn't feel comfortable having it in a home with kids at all.

Problem is, it's been difficult to find a large crock with a timer that is not stainless. But I need to find something soon- I'm going through slow cooking withdrawals and I rely on mine heavily during the school year.

:bigear:

Here's my $25 slow cooker from Walmart ...love it! We can't afford stainless steel appliances yet, but I do have a stainless steel slow cooker and microwave. I'm starting small :001_smile:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-Cook-and-Carry-Slow-Cooker/14320820?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14320820

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappyhappymama viewpost.gif

the stainless was so hot I accidentally scorched my hand.

Which one was this?

It was this one by Crock Pot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KVZTFO/ref=oss_product

And just to be clear, I do realize that a Crock Pot in use will be HOT. And I always kept my previous Crock back as far as possible on the counter to protect little ones. But when I used this one, I grabbed the handles to pull it forward a bit on the counter to check the food, and the meat of my hand grazed the stainless and it was blazing! I would have had to use full oven mitts when handling the pot, checking the food, etc. Not a huge deal, but my worries about stray little hands made it unacceptable for me.

I do love mine. I have 2 that I use regularly and one that I don't like and needs to go to Goodwill. Of the 2 I love, one is a small maybe 4 quart. It has a rubber gasket around the lid and a rubber band that keeps the lid on for travel. I use it for dips and small things like chicken breasts. I also use it for overnight making steel cut oats.

The large one is big, I'm guessing 8q. I think it's from the 70's.:tongue_smilie: Seriously, it's brown and gold. But I love it and it works perfectly. I use it for big batches of soup and beans, stews, roasts, etc.

I would advise you get one where the bowl fits entirely down into the metal base. The one I don't like is like this, kinda. I bet it turned out to be a bad design because I couldn't even find one to link. The idea was that the bowl itself is pretty so you could serve from it. But I didn't think it cooked evenly, and didn't like the ceramic sticking out. It cooks way too hot.

I'm not sure you will find any that stay cool to the touch though. Mine still get very hot and I just push them way back from the counter edge and warn everyone to keep away. Much like I would the stove.

I've had big, small, electronic and with a turn knob, stainless and enamel. The best one was the very first that was mid sized with no electronics other than the power cord.

I had it for years but it got broken in one of our moves.

The one I got rid of this past spring was two years old with a cracked crock.

I replaced it with one as like my first one as possible. I bought it at Wal-mart. It is a Rival Crock Pot. I think it is 6 qts, cost 25ish bucks and is very simple. Plug it in, turn the knob to the setting required. It has a black crock and a black base. It is very basic and is making me happy.

I have this one in red also. Very easy to use but runs a little hotter than my older model, which took some getting used to. I love the insulated carry bag. I've brought a few dishes to parties, and it arrives nice and hot, with no mess.

Got mine at WalMart too!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-5.5-Quart-Crock-Pot-Slow-Cooker-Camouflage-Print/10285433

Disclaimer:

It is not camo in color :P It is red.

I love it though, Off, Low and Hi...Simple and easy!

Mine's a Rival too, and the biggest I could find at the time...6 or 8 qt, I forget and don't see it written on the front.

The lid was broken, but I find a dinner plate fits perfectly.

My only complaint is that it seems to be far hotter than recipes allow for. If a recipe says 8 hrs, its done in 6. And yes, thats on 'low'.

The absolute best thing though, is the crock pot liners! Talk about wonderful! I had a bunch sent up from the States, and am coming to the end of my supply. I can't find them in Canada, so I might have to find someone willing to send me some more. *flutters eyelashes at MariannNova*

Not the one I have, but there is one you can buy now that has a lid that locks shut. You can take it with you to potlucks and not have to worry about spilling, I do covet that one. I don't know the brand, I sawit at Target and stared longingly at it though.:001_smile:

I love my crock pot. Its made by Rival and is oval shaped. One of the best features is the "keep warm" setting. My husband works until 7 some days. My daughter and I can eat earlier and then use the keep warm setting to keep things good until he gets home and is ready to eat. Mmmmm...meatballs and sauce in the crock pot. :0)

Mine's a Rival too, and the biggest I could find at the time...6 or 8 qt, I forget and don't see it written on the front.

The lid was broken, but I find a dinner plate fits perfectly.

My only complaint is that it seems to be far hotter than recipes allow for. If a recipe says 8 hrs, its done in 6. And yes, thats on 'low'.

The absolute best thing though, is the crock pot liners! Talk about wonderful! I had a bunch sent up from the States, and am coming to the end of my supply. I can't find them in Canada, so I might have to find someone willing to send me some more. *flutters eyelashes at MariannNova*

Is anyone concerned about cooking in plastic? I wonder why this is safer than keeping water in plastic bottles or microwaving plastic which is now taboo? I don't use the oven cooking bags for the same reason. Hate cleaning the crockpot, but I keep feeling that five years from now will be another OH NO WHAT WERE WE THINKING revelation. Am I paranoid?

I love my crockpot!! Its from Rival and it is about 10 years old and going strong.

Its huge and has a ceramic insert. It also has the keep warm feature which I love.

This is mine......http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rival+slow+cooker&hl=en&cid=12044801523087497357&ei=VLJlTJbVKYzswQXbgNWiBQ&sa=title&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAzgA#p

Edited by gingersmom

I'm actually wary of mine, it's a large Rival with a black ceramic type tub...I read somewhere that there are poisons in the black ones that leech into the food? I'm too practical to throw it away but I just don't want to use it that often...any truth to this for those of you very crock pot savvy?

TAra

Got mine at WalMart too!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-5.5-Quart-Crock-Pot-Slow-Cooker-Camouflage-Print/10285433

Disclaimer:

It is not camo in color :P It is red.

I love it though, Off, Low and Hi...Simple and easy!

Mine looks like this one (not color but style, mine is white with grape leaves on it) but it is a GE brand. I have had it several years. It has low, high, keep warm and off. Very simple but works good.

I have this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-6-Quart-Stay-or-Go-Slow-Cooker-33162/4012120

I love it but it cooks too hot so I have to adjust the time.

And don't leave it on with liner in there empty. Someone bumped the knob while wiping down the counters in my house. :( And my liner cracked so I had to buy a new one. :(

Regarding the stainless being too hot, I had one that was from the 90's forever! It still had a metal casing that was hot to the touch. I believe they are all that way. I either cook out in the garage (especially in the summer!!!) or put it back really far on the counter to keep little hands away.

And cooking in plastic... Those bags have been around since the 1980's! My mom hasn't made a turkey without a bag since I can remember! Maybe they are killing us all just like everything else? Did you know that some people (or maybe studies?) are even saying the liners of our crockpot's are dangerous? You can't win and I've given up on trying to keep up...

Edited by jannylynn

I prepare my crockpot with cooking spray. Cleanup is very easy. Make sure you get all the way up the sides to the lid.

I do the same thing. And if I am out of the cooking spray I will wipe mine down with oil first. I tried one of those bags and hated them. What a waste IMO. Just another expense I don't need, especially since I use my crock almost daily in the winter. Or should I say 1 of mine daily... I have one my mom bought me around 1988 that only cooks on high, but that is ok for some things. I have one new one that is white and I don't like it just because of the color. The crock shows scratches because it is white as well (thanks to my overzealous dh who used a metal scruubber on it :glare:). I also have a large oval one that I use to cook whole chickens in and large meals in. Love, Love it. I think I bought it about 10 years ago.

My main preference on any crock pot though is that the crock is removable for easier cleaning. You can still find some cheapy ones where the inside doesn't come out. If you read carefully those also say to not immerse for cleaning. I find it hard to clean without immersing it.

Please tell me which one it is... I'm shopping for a new one... What should I look for?

now you've done it. :svengo:

ETA: after going back and reading the entire thread, I spoke too soon! Everyone is behaving SO well!!!

Wasn't this a very, very heated topic earlier this year? I almost didn't read this.

And I did steer clear of quite a few threads recently. Won't go there. ;)

Edited by Denisemomof4

now you've done it. :svengo:

ETA: after going back and reading the entire thread, I spoke too soon! Everyone is behaving SO well!!!

Wasn't this a very, very heated topic earlier this year? I almost didn't read this.

And I did steer clear of quite a few threads recently. Won't go there. ;)

I must have missed that thread!

I love my multiple crockpots, but they are probably various ones as I got them all second hand with the exception of the one I received at my bridal shower 16yrs ago LOL! I just like HAVING crockpots to use. Now, if I could only acquire a food processor and a blender...they are on the list for this autumn.

I have a West Bend slow cooker. I love it soooo much, I actually bought 2 more of them! I've never burned anything in it. ( I had one of the newer crock pots that BURNED my food so bad I couldn't get the scorch out of it. And I returned it. And I have to tell you, my DH told the clerk 'this thing is a peice of garbage. My wife KNOWS how to cook with a slow cooker!" :001_wub:

http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-84905-5-Quart-Oblong-Shaped/dp/B001AH5H0A/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281752188&sr=8-12

ETA: I always keep an eye open at the thrift stores. If I see one like this, I'll snatch it up faster than, I don't know what.

Edited by cin

Is anyone concerned about cooking in plastic? I wonder why this is safer than keeping water in plastic bottles or microwaving plastic which is now taboo? I don't use the oven cooking bags for the same reason. Hate cleaning the crockpot, but I keep feeling that five years from now will be another OH NO WHAT WERE WE THINKING revelation. Am I paranoid?

I only use these liners if I take my crock pot camping. I do not like the thought of cooking in plastic, but I *do* love these liners and wish I felt comfortable using them all the time.

FWIW, anyone still concerned about the lead in crock pot ceramic? Just in case y'all didn't have enough to worry about...;)

I only use these liners if I take my crock pot camping. I do not like the thought of cooking in plastic, but I *do* love these liners and wish I felt comfortable using them all the time.

FWIW, anyone still concerned about the lead in crock pot ceramic? Just in case y'all didn't have enough to worry about...;)

Oh dear, I hadn't heard of that .... is it even safe to chew your own fingernails these days?