Menu

Is this dessert yum, or yuck?

Baked fresh apricots with maple cream and cinnamon croutons...yum? -or yuck?  

1. 1. Baked fresh apricots with maple cream and cinnamon croutons...yum? -or yuck?

• Yum!
    • Yuck!
    • I'd eat it, but only if you changed_______________.

I like the idea of fresh apricots with a cinnamon whip cream with some kind of cookie on the side? Not too sure about cinnamon croutons.

Diane

So y'all are getting held up by the cinnamon croutons, huh? But they're so GOOD! Crisp, light, buttery, cinnamon-y...okay, okay...I'll reconsider...:tongue_smilie:

So y'all are getting held up by the cinnamon croutons, huh? But they're so GOOD! Crisp, light, buttery, cinnamon-y...okay, okay...I'll reconsider...:tongue_smilie:

Well, when you describe the croutons like that....it sounds pretty tasty :D I think it would help if you sent samples out to everyone ;)

Diane

Are the croutons like little cinnamon biscuits? Because that changes the description for me. I think of croutons as a bit savory, but cinnamon biscuits I consider sweet and delicious.

ETA - So, I'd eat it and I'm sure I'd like it, but I might not "order" it to find out due to the wording. Apricots (or any fruit for that matter) with maple and cream and some bread-like something simply HAS to be delicious!

Edited by LauraGB

Well croutons = salad in my book. Not something I'd eat for dessert.

Could you call them something else? Like biscuits, crisps, chips, biscotti, dippers, crackers or something along those lines that people might think of as more of a dessert thing.

Yeah! What she said! :iagree:

Tell us though...is it good? Sounds good...

Would adding "sweet, cinnamon-sugar croutons" to the description help? Or is the word crouton itself just too hard to fathom? They really are not savory at all, but they are indeed croutons. I could certainly re-name them, but I usually attempt to be relatively "correct" in my descriptions. :)

Sounds good, but I wouldn't order it.

Maybe baked apricots, with crisp cinnamon wafers and maple whipping cream? I would be intrigued about this and may consider ordering it.

I agree about the croutons...good descriptive word, but I think savory, not sweet. I also think 'cheap'.

I prefer wafer, as it makes me curious what a cinnamon wafer is and would make me ask the staff. That gives the staff a chance to rave about your awesome desserts. Cinnamon cookie sounds to sweet with a sweet fruit and topping. Biscuit sounds floury and not crisp. If you choose biscuit, I would specify bite size, crisp cinnamon biscuits (too many words for me).

If the 'croutons' are small I think wafer, if they are cubes maybe Cinnamon biscotti bites?

ETA I do like Sweet cinnamon crouton better than without the sweet.

It sounds good but I'd change croutons to something more of a buttery crumbly type topping or maybe toasted nuts of some kind. I like a tiny bit of nutty (or even slightly bitter--like plain toasted walnuts) taste to contrast with all that sweetness.

Would adding "sweet, cinnamon-sugar croutons" to the description help? Or is the word crouton itself just too hard to fathom? They really are not savory at all, but they are indeed croutons. I could certainly re-name them, but I usually attempt to be relatively "correct" in my descriptions. :)

Possibly "sweet cinnamon-sugar crouton" would help. But crouton still elicits the thought of savory for me - like with garlic or other savory spices for salads and such. Technically, the French version of a "biscuit" is considered to be "twice baked", so regardless of what you season it with, it could be sweet or savory.

I assume this is not for Sunday dinner? You are a caterer, correct? If it's for home eating, I wouldn't give a rip what you called it - I'd eat it, and I'll bet it would be fantastic! Maybe you could French it up a bit? :tongue_smilie:

Possibly "sweet cinnamon-sugar crouton" would help. But crouton still elicits the thought of savory for me - like with garlic or other savory spices for salads and such. Technically, the French version of a "biscuit" is considered to be "twice baked", so regardless of what you season it with, it could be sweet or savory.

I assume this is not for Sunday dinner? You are a caterer, correct? If it's for home eating, I wouldn't give a rip what you called it - I'd eat it, and I'll bet it would be fantastic! Maybe you could French it up a bit? :tongue_smilie:

I agree....and also.......:lol: you made me laugh!

It sounds good except for the actual word *crouton* - that makes me say no - but if you change that word, I'd say yes - maybe crumble the croutons and call them something else? or maybe make a different crumbly topping altogether?

I'd eat it if said croutons were like cinnamon shortbread chunks. You know, little shortbread balls.

(Poor Mr.Shortbread...)

:D:lol: They're closer to little teeny cinnamon-sugar toast bits, but more buttery-crisped than toasted. Yeah...I don't think I'm including the word "balls" in any dessert descriptions anytime soon...:001_huh::D

Well croutons = salad in my book. Not something I'd eat for dessert.

Could you call them something else? Like biscuits, crisps, chips, biscotti, dippers, crackers or something along those lines that people might think of as more of a dessert thing.

:iagree:

Guest Virginia Dawn
I think that this would be great, but I would be put off by cinnamon--it's such a strong flavor, it tends to overpower other, subtler ones (especially high quality cinnamon). Ginger appeals more to me, but I am weird. :p

OOh, I can see the apricots and cream with a crisp ginger snap or crumbled ginger snaps on top. Yum.

I think it sounds good, but, realistically, when i order dessert chocolate is nearly always involved.

Well, I still have other desserts that I'm making for every day:

Creme Brulee

Flourless chocolate cake coated with bittersweet chocolate ganache

Peanut butter chocolate Pie (okay, it's not really a pie, but it has no other name, so...)

Key Lime Pie shot glass desserts

I get to rotate desserts pretty much "at will", but the ones listed above are keepers that people would complain if I dropped. The desserts I've been listing this afternoon are odd-ball recipes that I've been considering. The Coconut Banana ice cream pie is already being served and is selling extremely well. I have a surplus of apricots, so I need to make something with them, and I've been drooling over the peppermint patty cheesecake recipe for a while but wondered if it had widespread appeal. I really do appreciate all input, since it helps me to do my job better & better. :001_smile:

I'd eat it if said croutons were like cinnamon shortbread chunks. You know, little shortbread balls.

(Poor Mr.Shortbread...)

Yes, I don't like croutons myself--it's the texture I don't like, especially for dessert. I'd be much more likely to order if there was shortbread or some kind of crumble topping involved. (And thanks to Specialmama for the laugh--reminds me of my DD4 who said this morning that our local chipmunk probably sounded upset this morning because someone stole his nuts. I could understand his ire!)

Well, I still have other desserts that I'm making for every day:

Creme Brulee

Flourless chocolate cake coated with bittersweet chocolate ganache

Peanut butter chocolate Pie (okay, it's not really a pie, but it has no other name, so...)

Key Lime Pie shot glass desserts

OK, now that's just plain mean :glare:

:lol:

I'd love this dessert. Anything with fruit automatically goes into my 'oooh, it's healthy!' category so it gets mega bonus points. :)

There's a simplicity to this one which I really like & I think apricots are under appreciated.

I know what you meant with the croutons because I've had dessert croutons before but I think you might want to rename it.....too many people think ceasar salad.....

I would not order that, especially considering your other yummy choices.

I like apricots, but think of them as very soft when baked. I would picture a dish of soft fruit with very hard, crunchy croutons. I would anticipate texture issues. If I could see the dessert first, and it looked balanced, I might try it.

For me, there would need to be something in the description to reassure me that it wasn't jaw-crunching hard croutons on soft fruit.

I wouldn't eat it because I am not a big fan of maple. I like it on my pancakes and waffles, but that is about it.

I did vote "Yum" thought because I think many people who like maple would enjoy the combination of flavors and textures. I wouldn't change it to satisfy the likes of one particular person.