Menu

What does UPS do if no one is home?

I just ordered all my curriculum for homeschooling. That was a big sigh of relief. Now, my biggest worry is what would happen if we weren't here when they came. Is there a standard protocol they follow? A few of our packages have been left outside, and I would really prefer they just bring it to the depot so we can pick it up.

We will leave a sign on the door, but what has been your experience in the past?

Also, how well can I trust an estimated delivery day. I ordered from Christianbooks.com, and they said the 17th was our estimated time of delivery. Should I assume it will be here that day, or next week? We are in the same state, so maybe??

My first time ordering anything online and I am so nervous. I don't want to miss the delivery. :001_unsure:

Christianbook have always been very trustworthy when we've used them. Their customer service is great. I'd call them to get a UPS tracking number and then go to the UPS site and get the delivery date. The UPS delivery dates are very accurate and you can see exactly where the package is along the way.

I have a covered front porch, so they leave packages by the front door. This is fine with me, because we're out in the country and I'm not worried about someone stealing them. If I was concerned, I would just call the nearest UPS terminal and explain I didn't want packages left.

Do you have a tracking number? This is usually pretty accurate.

When I lived at home with my parents in a house, UPS would leave packages on the front porch. Occasionally we would receive a package for the neighbors across the street or they would receive one for us. We knew the neighbors, and I think those were packages which needed to be signed for. In our apartment, when we get packages in the mail we get a note in our mailbox directing us where to go to pick it up from the depot. UPS may also do that if you are in an apartment.

Estimated times of delivery are just that: estimates. If you have a tracking number, you can track the packages online. The tracking results will give you a much better time frame to work with.

When we aren't home, the UPS guy leaves our packages inside our house in the entryway. It's kinda like Christmas to come home and trip over a package.

When we lived in TX, they left the packages on the front porch but out of sight from the street.

Thanks everyone!

You can tell I'm a newbie :tongue_smilie:

I just ordered about an hour ago and I already cannot wait. :toetap05:

It's just my Chem. lab kit and Apologia Chemistry books.

Oh, and a homeschool planner for my mom and one for me :)

Everything else is from Amazon. A bit nervous about that too :001_unsure:

Can't wait for MUS to get here either :D

True. Learn when your UPS guy comes. Ours is between 2-4 pm most of the time.

I can identify the sound of the UPS truck from 3 or 4 blocks away. :blush:

Hopefully the shipper will email you either a link to the tracking info, or the tracking number that you can plug into the UPS website. UPS is very good about updating when a package arrives and leaves their facilities. (I found that USPS updates sporadically if at all.)

I've never had a delivery date later than the date the UPS website says it will deliver. I've had packages sit 6 hours away for a couple days because it wasn't due to be delivered until 3 days later. The shipper generally gives a 5-7 day spread. UPS and Fed Ex will give one day. I have had things show up earlier than the UPS and Fed Ex date, but never later.

On the day the update says the package is "out for delivery" it will be at your house that day. If you note the time the truck arrives you'll have a good idea of what time the driver will show up each time he delivers to you. During holidays or busy times it may be as late as 9p. My UPS guy comes between 4-6p. My Fed Ex guy comes between 6 and 7a.

Half the time the UPS guy will just leave the package on the porch, knock and be half way to the truck before I get to the door. Since the Fed Ex guy comes so early he never knocks. Some shippers will require a signature. Generally if the item(s) are fairly expensive they will require a signature. If no one is home for a signature both delivery drivers leave a note with a date of the next attempt.

Enjoy your new stuff.

My estimated delivery days have always been spot on but you can get the UPS tracking number and join the ranks of the obsessed who sit here refreshing the page all day.

And I thought I was the only one who did this.:D

Our UPS man comes between 10 and 11.

The kid only suspected we were crazy before this, Now she knows for sure.

Take this as a warning T.G. If you stick around you could be assimilated ;)

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Haha. I knew what I was getting into :lol:

Does the signature have to be the card holder because it is my fathers card and he works until about 5 or 6.

I actually did a dance when UPS came to my friends house. I can't even remember what it was but we were all excited. UPS is my substitute Santa Claus.

It is pretty accurate here too. If you are worried about it, leave a large note on your door to take your package to the depot if you don't answer the door. I also think you can have a package held at the depot if you call them ahead of time.

Another thing about tracking - When it says "out for delivery" at 6am, that doesn't mean your package will be delivered soon. Our packages never come before 5pm.

Yeah, that means the package was scanned as on the delivery truck. I love watching the tracking info..."Yes, it left IL...it's in my state....HERE!!!":001_huh::lol::auto:

UPS is always spot on the delivery date. I've had lots of packages left on my porch and never any troubles. My dc are good at watching for the UPS man though...it's either a birthday or school stuff.:tongue_smilie:

Enjoy the planning and beginning of a new school year!!!:001_smile:

The man-door on our garage is almost always left unlocked unless we are gone over night(small town and break ins are rare), so the UPS driver will usually just set it right inside that door. Actually he started doing this even if we are home. Our dogs go ballistic when the doorbell rings. We have an inner door in the front entry so I always prevent them from rushing people at the door, but maybe he figures this just saves us the headache the barking can induce.

The tracking number will let you know what day the package is out for delivery. Keep checking it every morning. Here, we know we are near the end of the UPS guy's route, so the Big Brown Truck will come between 4 and 7. Do you recall what time of day you usually see the BBT out and about in your neck of the woods? That can tell you about what time of day you will get your box.

If the tracking number says "delivered" and you have NOT got the box - call UPS. I had this happen with FedEx once - hours, I mean HOURS later, about 1 am, the misdelivered box was THROWN on our porch from the FedEx truck (oh, was someone cranky about having to find and bring us the misdelivered package???) I have had problems with FedEx...UPS is WONDERFUL!!!!

(Luckily, the items were soft and not breakable.)

UPS does the "drop and run" even when I AM home. :glare:

They are on a tight schedule and not allowed to knock and wait unless a signature is required. My driver likes that I "sense" he is coming and am out the door and almost to the street before he stops his truck ;-)

I just got an email confirmation saying the delivery was shipped from the store. They gave me the tracking number but the store said in their email I probably won't be able to track my shipment until about 8pm. :(

We're in the same state so maybe it'll get here today ????

:D I can hope.

What they will do is bring it to the main sorting facility near the pick up. Then it will be transferred to the main sorting facility near you, then it will go out for delivery from there. However, Anything that was overnighted or has a 2-day guarantee gets first dibs so under theory yours could sit and wait until they have room on the truck. You might get it as soon as Thursday but it wouldn't have gotten to your sorting facility in time for today's delivery.

Even if the email says it can't track yet, give it a try. It never hurts to start tracking;)

I tried and it said they're unable to track my package :(

We got the 2-day guarantee I believe because we were really cutting it close with our schooling deadline we wanted to make sure it would get here in enough time for planning and sorting and everything.

I would keep on top of the tracking for sure. UPS is normally very responsible with deliveries, but not always. I live at the end of a very long driveway off of a heavily traveled highway. UPS left my package in the rain just off of the road once. It was a very large box (a canner) and I was just blessed that no one took it. My neighbors drove by and saw it so they brought it to my house. I have received several other deliveries with no problems, but I keep up with the tracking now so I know when to expect it and I can try to be home.

You are putting the tracking number in the box on the UPS page and then hitting the "track" button? It should at least say that they have received the request to pick up the package from the sending company.

Are you sure it is coming UPS and not USPS?

If you want to pm me the number I can give it a try.

I tried both sites because I thought the same thing. But the email conformation says I should be able to track on UPS after 8pm EST.

If it isn't on there tonight, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

I just remembered something. You ordered from Christianbook, right? I can't remember what the original post said. Last time I ordered from Christianbook, it was sent USPS, via FedEx. So, I put my tracking number in the FedEx site, and it tracked it to my nearest USPS facility. Don't know if this will help, but thought I would mention it.

Edited by LuvToRead

I just remembered something. You ordered from Christianbook, right? I can't remember what the original post said. Last time I ordered from Christianbook, it was sent USPS, via FedEx. So, I put my tracking number in the FedEx site, and it tracked it to my nearest USPS facility. Don't know if this will help, but thought I would mention it.

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work either :(

This is what the email confirmation says:

"We have shipped this package via UPS. You may track your package by clicking on the link below. Tracking information is generally accessible on the UPS web site after 8pm EST."

I'll call tomorrow if I still don't see it tonight. Thanks :)

This is what the email confirmation says:

"We have shipped this package via UPS. You may track your package by clicking on the link below. Tracking information is generally accessible on the UPS web site after 8pm EST."

I'll call tomorrow if I still don't see it tonight. Thanks :)

This is typical... you'll be able to track it soon. I also order a lot from Christianbook.

Christian Books will allow the driver to leave the package if you're not home. Most companies do. We leave a note on the door, asking them to please just leave the package. Unless something has to be signed for, drivers just leave things around here.

Nan

So true! Our mail normally arrives before noon, but today the mailman delivered my Amazon order at 5:30 pm. :glare:

I think they sit in their trucks and giggle, knowing we're waiting by the door for that Amazon box!

I am at the end of the UPS route, I think. Packages never come before 6pm, and usually on a Wednesday, when I'm at church and won't be home before 9!:glare:

Are you not taking a break at all for the Summer?

I am. We're starting July 12th, hopefully. That gives me about 3 1/2 weeks. But I took Monday, Tuesday, and today off from school because no more finals and I was extremely bored already, so I am glad we're starting on July 12th.

My package came at about 3:30 :D

Now, I can't wait for the rest of my curriculum.

Yes, curriculum addiction is a true one. You just get over the high of the first delivery and then you are looking forward to your next fix. LOL

Yes, curriculum addiction is a true one. You just get over the high of the first delivery and then you are looking forward to your next fix. LOL

Lol, I know what you mean. I wish I could track it on a map with a little truck moving across it to show me exactly where it is. :)