Menu

if you had a Jesus statue that was struck by lightning...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

Cassie Browning, a church member from Dayton, said she was driving home when she saw smoke and noticed the statue was missing.

"It meant so much to so many people," Browning said.

Travelers on I-75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

Bishop said the statue will be rebuilt.

"It will be back, but this time we are going to try for something fireproof," she said.

Would your first thought be "hm, clearly we need something fireproof?"

We always called him "Touchdown Jesus". For some reason, everytime I think about it today, it makes me giggle. My kids are trying to use the word "touchdown" as much as possible!

It's not really funny - just struck my funny bone for some reason. The picture of just the metal remains set me off again!

Umm, yeah . . . fireproof would be good!

I think I might be wondering what we did to aggravate Someone so much that He smote Jesus. :D

Ah, see, I'd assume it was the ugly Jesus statue, itself, that was aggravating. Hence, I would not be looking to replace it with a fireproof one. I mean...what would it take to destroy a more stable one? I would find that worrisome.

Ah, see, I'd assume it was the ugly Jesus statue, itself, that was aggravating. Hence, I would not be looking to replace it with a fireproof one. I mean...what would it take to destroy a more stable one? I would find that worrisome.

I live not too far from there and really dislike that statue. The spent $250,000 on it to begin with and fully plan to rebuild. I think with the economy in this area and more people in need than ever that there is a much better use for that money. They failed to mention in the articles that to many people around here, that statue is nothing but a big joke.

I live not too far from there and really dislike that statue. The spent $250,000 on it to begin with and fully plan to rebuild. I think with the economy in this area and more people in need than ever that there is a much better use for that money. They failed to mention in the articles that to many people around here, that statue is nothing but a big joke.

Perhaps Jesus is telling them to quit spending so much money to recreate his likeness and go forth and recreate his lifestyle. :confused:

Perhaps Jesus is telling them to quit spending so much money to recreate his likeness and go forth and recreate his lifestyle. :confused:

Ya think?!

Please tell me someone quoted the wrong figure to build that thing; $250,000?! That's an absurd waste of money.

Plus, I hate to break it to them, but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT JESUS LOOKED LIKE. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can make a statue of some random, fictional man, and decide to call it 'Jesus'. It wasn't even a 'recreation of his likeness'. It was what dh and I call 'American Jesus'.

I cannot stand statues, pictures, or any other likenesses of 'Jesus'.

My dh, the kids, and I were driving back from Tenessee yesterday. We must have passed that thing at around 5pm. We both remarked at just how silly and wasteful it seemed. Not but six hours later, it was struck by lightning. :D

At Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore:

www.christusstatue.com

I have seen this in person, it is inside of course.

For something to last, it should be of strong materials, ey?

And in a place where it won't get hit by lightning?

Just my opinion.

Well, anyway, that wasn't the link I meant to post. Sorry!

But that is what the one at Johns Hopkins looks like also.

Edited by gingerh
correct photo likeness link, just maybe wrong link link

They failed to mention in the articles that to many people around here, that statue is nothing but a big joke.

True dat. EVERYONE made fun of that monstrosity. And what an ostentatious, ridiculous waste of money.

I can't help but think it poetic justice that it was struck by lightning. That thing was UH-GLEE!

Tara

:iagree:

Ya think?!

Please tell me someone quoted the wrong figure to build that thing; $250,000?! That's an absurd waste of money.

:D

Unfortunately not wrong. They were getting ready to spend another $60,000 to clean and repaint it. They have stated that they will definitely rebuild. It is a very sore point around here because there are many allegations of criminal activity involving the pastors/founders, which to many just makes the outlay of the money even worse. I just think the whole thing is obscene and can't believe the money being wasted on that thing.

unsinkable no likey.

Big, scary Jesus crawlin' out of ground scared me.

I like life-sized Jesus, with a lamb around his neck. Or life-sized baby Jesus in a manger.

Or prayer cards.

This reminds me of Talladega Nights:

Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, in your golden, fleece diapers, with your curled-up, fat, balled-up little fists pawin' at the air...

Yeah, not a fan here either, just because I thought it was ugly. But how will I know now that we're almost to our destination when we're on that road?

On the other hand, I could do without the "hit the Christians next time" strain of comments on the news link. Really, smite people with lightening and burn them to cinders? How nice. I never really get used to how certain language is acceptable toward some sets of people that would get the speaker called out if it was used towards other groups.

Yeah, not a fan here either, just because I thought it was ugly. But how will I know now that we're almost to our destination when we're on that road?

On the other hand, I could do without the "hit the Christians next time" strain of comments on the news link. Really, smite people with lightening and burn them to cinders? How nice. I never really get used to how certain language is acceptable toward some sets of people that would get the speaker called out if it was used towards other groups.

:iagree:

And, I greatly dislike statues of Jesus.

And, I love Jim Gaffigan!

Good point.

I haven't seen it IRL, so I'll take everyone's word about its... er, aesthetic value. :D

We always called him "Touchdown Jesus". For some reason, everytime I think about it today, it makes me giggle.

It's not really funny - just struck my funny bone for some reason. The picture of just the metal remains set me off again!

Umm, yeah . . . fireproof would be good!

:iagree: :lol::lol:

We, too, called it "Touchdown Jesus!" I couldn't believe this when I saw it on the local news website this morning. Dh thought I was joking when I texted him. We were surprised it made national news!

I am not a big fan of Jesus renditions/pictures/etc. I doubt he was a pale white man :D

I skimmed an article about this earlier today that said something like, "Don't worry, I suspect the statue will be back in 3 days." LOLOL :lol:

Was it really made of butter? That can't be right, but I keep seeing the word butter associated with it... :001_huh:

It wasn't actually made of butter but had a yellowish tint to it. Haywood Banks wrote a song (on Youtube) where he called it "Big Butter Jesus". That is what many around here call it.

My dh, the kids, and I were driving back from Tenessee yesterday. We must have passed that thing at around 5pm. We both remarked at just how silly and wasteful it seemed. Not but six hours later, it was struck by lightning. :D

Remind me to never make you angry;)

True dat. EVERYONE made fun of that monstrosity. And what an ostentatious, ridiculous waste of money.

I can't help but think it poetic justice that it was struck by lightning. That thing was UH-GLEE!

Tara

Maybe that's why God struck it down.:lol:

Jesus: Dad, I HATE that statue!!! It doesn't look anything like me! Why do you leave it?

God: All right, All right I'll take it down.

Was it really made of butter? That can't be right, but I keep seeing the word butter associated with it... :001_huh:

At the Ohio State Fair each year, there is a butter sculpture. It seems to be an Ohio cultural thing for things to be made out of butter. So the resemblance of the Jesus to the butter scupltures didn't go unnoticed by many. :001_smile:

At the Ohio State Fair each year, there is a butter sculpture. It seems to be an Ohio cultural thing for things to be made out of butter. So the resemblance of the Jesus to the butter scupltures didn't go unnoticed by many. :001_smile:

The Illinois State Fair always has a butter cow on display in the ice cream parlor. It's different every year, but always includes a cow. It's actually a neat thing to see. I don't know what they do with the butter once the fair is over, though.

I have to be honest. I never knew that statue existed but when I pulled up a picture of it today it scared the pants off of me. I am Christian woman but that was a SCARY Jesus!

OK I had to edit because I have clicked on your links and I have this irrational terror every time I see it. LOL! The kind where a ball of fear settles in my stomach and I have to close my eyes. I have a weird phobia of large structures and I think that statue really aggravates it. Poor Jesus, the downside to fame is being immortalized in ugly statuary.

There is even a youtube video that someone caught while it was burning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZ3d1tTbWg

Edited by LaissezFaire

Plus, I hate to break it to them, but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT JESUS LOOKED LIKE. I cannot for the life of me understand how someone can make a statue of some random, fictional man, and decide to call it 'Jesus'. It wasn't even a 'recreation of his likeness'. It was what dh and I call 'American Jesus'.

:D

I was always curious why a religion based on a man from Nazareth (middle east) would portray him as an all-purpose white guy from Rome. Then it struck me: durr... that is who was doing the paintings...

I take a picture anytime I see a Mary that is actually NOT caucasian looking.

There is this great line in JC Superstar where the character playing Judas is all p'd off at Mary Magdalene for anointing Jesus' feet and hair with expensive oils - he is singing:

"We could have raised maybe

Three hundred silver pieces or more

People who are hungry

People who are starving

Matter more

Than your feet and hair"

and the character playing Jesus sings these classic lines:

"Surely you're not saying

We have the resources

To save the poor from their lot?

There will be poor always

Pathetically struggling

Look at the good things you've got!

Think while you still have me

Move while you still see me

You'll be lost

You'll be so sorry

When I'm gone"

Every time I read or hear "oh, that money could have been used to help the poor", I think of that song. I suppose it could. But IMO it misses the point.

Smote statue, LOL.

JMO

a

Excellent point, asta.

Although, if anyone in the future is wondering how to immortalize my memory please do not do it in bizarre statue form. I've also told my kids I do not want to be immortalized in a graphic on the back of their car. :tongue_smilie:

Well, the Hustler store across the highway is just fine.

I will miss our looking for the "mashed potato scary Jesus coming out of a pond" when we drive to Dayton.

The thing is, that this seems to be one of the big hair/lots of makeup/golden throne/ neon sign churches. I saw them on the news a few years ago for something weird, and the bizarre statue made more sense to me. There is a lot of mascara running these past few days.

I hope that when they rebuild, they hire a better sculptor.... or maybe not. That drive to Dayton is pretty dismal. :D

The Illinois State Fair always has a butter cow on display in the ice cream parlor. It's different every year, but always includes a cow. It's actually a neat thing to see. I don't know what they do with the butter once the fair is over, though.

So it's a strange Midwest thing, not a strange Ohio thing. :001_smile:

Never thought about where the butter goes. I wonder if it is kept clean while they sculpt it, so that it could still be eaten?

unsinkable no likey.

Big, scary Jesus crawlin' out of ground scared me.

Oh gosh...I found it creepy, too, but something about your post made me think "Aaah! Zombie Jesus!" :lol:

It really was just so far over the top. I had such dislike for that thing. It struck me as self-aggrandizing...and not much better than the enormous metal palm trees and animal statues at the flea markets that surround it.

Somehow, it existed in a bubble for me. It never occurred to me that any other members of the Hive might see it regularly...let alone..."Butter Jesus". "Touchdown Jesus". LOLOLOL.

Originally Posted by SolaMichella viewpost.gif

So it's a strange Midwest thing, not a strange Ohio thing. :001_smile:

Never thought about where the butter goes. I wonder if it is kept clean while they sculpt it, so that it could still be eaten? __________________

It's an Iowa thing, too!

It's an Iowa thing, too!

In Minnesota, they sculpt the heads of the dairy queen and her runners up in butter (Ok, it's not the dairy queen, it's princess kay of the milky way). Then the girls get to each take their own head home and put it in the freezer, I presume.

Scary to think of that staring at you when you go to get some midnight ice cream when you can't sleep.