Menu

Should my husband watch Pride and Prejudice?

Should my dh watch Pride and Prejudice?  

1. 1. Should my dh watch Pride and Prejudice?

• Every Human should watch Pride and Prejudice atleast 1x in their life.
    • Go for a little theology, forget P&P.

My dh rolls his eyeballs with gusto when I watch that movie; which is often. He's never even seen it all but the parts he has seen has made him declare it WAY too chick-flick for him. I know I don't want to watch his style movies as blood and guts are not my thing, so I don't care if he can't appreciate a good quality movie. ;)

Well, I voted yes, because I do think it is an experience everyone should have. However, my husband HATES anything Austen, and says that anything Bronte is much more in keeping with the male palate. So if the goal is strictly acculturation, perhaps Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre would suffice?

I seriously know a dad who volunteers to watch the BBC version with his daughter. It wouldn't be his choice of things to do with her...one of those good dad things. I think he's seen it three times. :)

I vote for the Kiera Knightly version. Males who typically don't care for Austen appreciate the efficiency.

Mine watched the long BBC with me and liked it. Good story, good acting, good costumes.

Our British Lit class read P&P this year and watched the BBC version afterward. Even the boys got interested. The teacher is an English major married to a blue collar, motorcyclin', guitar-picking redneck. He got interested in it while she watched it at home, and watched the whole thing. Even said he enjoyed it, kind of grew on him.

Encourage, but don't demand. Maybe ask him to give it the 45 minute rule. He will likely love to watch certain characters. Mr. Collins comes to mind. :)

Unless you are willing to watch whichever of the below list that you don't like, but your DH loves. I find when you convince a person to watch something, they very rarely like it or enjoy it. (And it is not because I don't like P&P. I love P&P.)

- nascar

- football

- golf

- movies with lots of crashing cars

- hunting / fishing shows

OK, my husband doesn't think he would like P&P and he thinks it would be a "waste of his time" and he should go read some theology books. My daughter and I think he needs a little culture. What do you think?

:iagree: with you and your dd. OK, dh to Michelle....do yourself a favor and watch P/P. At the very least think of it as an adventure back in time...you'll see the beautiful, period customs (history). You'll race across the prairie along the lush, green pasturelands of England (geography). There is more to add, but I'll stop here......:lol:

Honestly, my dh is the same way, but I bought the BBC version which is the best one and only one I'd recommend. I'll be asking my dh to join me. HTH.

My hubby likes the K. Knightly one best because it's shorter... But, he's begun asking me the differences between the movies and the book, and because he's got the story down, he found "Lost in Austen" to be hysterical. It also made watching "Bride & Prejudice" a lot of fun. I never thought he'd be interested, but it's a classic story with great characters. Get him to try it, and see what happens! It can serve to start conversations, at least...

I made my husband watch the re-done "Room with a View." He kept asking me what the point of it was. And kept looking like he wanted to read a book. Even though I was bawling at the end. I can't imagine how I'd have him sit through the 6 hr BBC special so I am glad you've scratched that off your list.

So if you make him watch -- be prepared. He may not love it.

It is so funny that this came up tonight. My 17 yr old was trying to talk my 18 year old into watching it. She was trying to get me to help her but I was't much help at all as I have already seen it once and that was plenty for me. My hubby liked it but he likes chick flicks. I would rather read theology and I am not even religious. Instead, I am reading Twighlight which I am not particularly impressed with either. Now Silance of the Lambs, Terminator, Untraceable those were good movies. I think I might have an extra chromosome in there somewhere. :tongue_smilie:

My DH has told his brothers and guy friends, "You're not a real man until you've watched Pride & Prejudice." And he's referring to the 6-hr BBC version. :)

He actually got into it and really enjoyed it, though most of the Austen movies are too much talk and not enough sword-fighting for his taste.

I voted before I read that you were talking about the Kiera Knightly version. I'd rather read theology than watch that one myself. No way would I inflict it on my dh.

:iagree:

My husband watched the BBC version with me, reluctantly at first, but ended up really liking it. I knew he would- he's a fan of acerbic wit. :D

:iagree:

My husband watched the BBC version with me, reluctantly at first, but ended up really liking it. I knew he would- he's a fan of acerbic wit. :D

Same here. He has watched a few Austen movies, he rather enjoys the satire. And the BBC version, Ah Mrs Bennet and Mr Bennet are SO funny, Mr Collins, Dame What's her handle. Oh, all of the characters are so great, so well done.

which version? If it's the BBC version, yes everyone should watch it at least once!

We were watching it, the kids and I. DH came home and sat in the room with us but opened his computer. I think he ended up paying more attention to the movie than his computer! He ended up enjoying it!

He may just mock it - would you want to watch a Dirty Harry or some other "guy" film?

Guys can enjoy Austen...and gals can get into action movies - if they WANT to. I wouldn't force any film on an uninterested party.

DD, 16, and I tried to get DD, 14, to watch The Right Stuff with us the other night. The moaning and groaning and "Its BORING" etc. was annoying.

I made my husband watch the re-done "Room with a View." He kept asking me what the point of it was. And kept looking like he wanted to read a book. Even though I was bawling at the end. I can't imagine how I'd have him sit through the 6 hr BBC special so I am glad you've scratched that off your list.

So if you make him watch -- be prepared. He may not love it.

When did they re-do Room with a View? It is one of my all-time favs.

My dh loves the BBC version of P&P. Before we had Indy, we'd sit down on a Sat or Sun and watch all six hours. Since then, we've had to watch it in pieces here and there (who has six hours to sit and watch a movie?), but we've done so a few times. He hates the new version because so much is left out. I like them both, for different reasons.

Dh also really likes the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility (we both agree that she was far too old to play that part, but she did a fantastic job). Maybe you could start your dh out on that since it's well characterized and acted and crafted, and is more "manly" than P&P.

I haven't seen Lost in Austen yet. I'll have to check it out.

When did they re-do Room with a View? It is one of my all-time favs.

In 2007. It's minus Helena Bonham Carter's giant hairdo and a lot of the irritating comments made by Charlotte (enough to get the idea but not every. last. thing) but adds some things not in the book. It has a different feel from the Merchant-Ivory production.