Menu

Guatemala Sinkhole Pictures

Oh my - that's nightmare stuff for me.

Me too! It has just replaced Tsunami as my natural disaster freak-out phobia.

That's not too far from where I live. I have friends who live in San Cristobal. It's really amazing what's happening all over the country with all that's been going on. When we saw that picture, dh and I said, "Well, I'm sure that our drainage system is completely up to date and modern!" We hope!

Oh, Dayle! I have been thinking about you! Many prayers! :grouphug:

Didn't Guatemala City just get blanketed with ash from a volcano then hit with a tropical storm, now this. Wow!!!

My MIL's family live in the mountains of Guatemala, so we are sure they are fine, but I am sure the people in the city are a little worried. Our prayers are for everyone there.

Why is it perfectly round I wonder?

Are you thinking conspiracy? ;)

Nature is all about roundness and spheres...from every egg , to the rings of trees and plan growth..to buttocks and breasts...and the earth itself. Centrifugal force and gravity matters. Have you ever seen the development of a shell, fi?

In the world of physics, round is where it's at, baby. :D

Didn't Guatemala City just get blanketed with ash from a volcano then hit with a tropical storm, now this. Wow!!!

My MIL's family live in the mountains of Guatemala, so we are sure they are fine, but I am sure the people in the city are a little worried. Our prayers are for everyone there.

Actually, I live in the mountains of Guatemala and we got it worse here than in the City. The sinkhole is incredible. Here we have entire towns and villages unreachable by anyone because of washed out bridges and roads, mudslides, flooding. It's a tough time right now.

Are you thinking conspiracy? ;)

Nature is all about roundness and spheres...from every egg , to the rings of trees and plan growth..to buttocks and breasts...and the earth itself. Centrifugal force and gravity matters. Have you ever seen the development of a shell, fi?

In the world of physics, round is where it's at, baby. :D

No, not conspiracy, just curious about how the earth with its multiple flat layers generates a near perfect, giant, round hole. Why isn't it more jagged?

Also when I see stuff like this, I think of OT accounts that are usually dismissed as "could never happen" - like Elijah and the prophets of Baal when the earth opened up and swallowed them....

Oh wow. Just one more thing to add to the ever increasing list of Improbable Events that I'm Extremely Afraid of Happening. (Long list, long title! :D)

Will be praying for the people of Guatemala. That sinkhole is just... scary. It doesn't even look like a sinkhole, just a huge hole to nothingness.

Good to know I'm not the only one with a long list!;)

I agree, that is absolutely terrifying. Not at ALL what I expected to see.:eek:

The Daily Telegraph article said that 2 people might have died but that no deaths have been reported. It was a factory and most of the workers had gone home.

My father works on a property with a lot of sinkholes. I have always wondered how he can go to work everyday with that knowledge. I'm going to have to ask him what he thinks about this one.

Does anyone know for sure if this is real? We were discussing it yesterday in school and someone googled this "Guatemala sinkhole" video from 2007 (look ON the video for the date). When one stops the video and compares the hole to the supposedly current one, they appear one and the same. There were other stories about the 2007 hole that google brought up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g219x6DlVRQ

I'm not saying they didn't have huge amounts of devastation, but I seriously wonder if the news agencies were duped on this one? The photo does look rather photoshopped, but then again, truth can be stranger than fiction. I'm skeptical though. How can two sinkholes appear in the same place with just 3 years time between them?

Does anyone know for sure if this is real? We were discussing it yesterday in school and someone googled this "Guatemala sinkhole" video from 2007 (look ON the video for the date). When one stops the video and compares the hole to the supposedly current one, they appear one and the same. There were other stories about the 2007 hole that google brought up.

I'm not saying they didn't have huge amounts of devastation, but I seriously wonder if the news agencies were duped on this one? The photo does look rather photoshopped, but then again, truth can be stranger than fiction. I'm skeptical though. How can two sinkholes appear in the same place with just 3 years time between them?

I have not googled, but am confident that the sink hole is real, for two reasons:

--Our Guatemalan language tutors sent an email about it (they are in Antigua, where Dayle lives).

--The Yucatan peninsula sits on top of an extensive cave/cenote system. Sink holes happen.

Is it the same one?

Does anyone know for sure if this is real?

Well, some people don't "know for sure" the moon landing is real either.

The link in the OP is National Geographic- I'm pretty confident they would not be duped in to thinking it was a different sinkhole if it wasn't.

I've lived here since 2005, and I can assure you, that both sinkholes are very much real.

If you scroll through the pictures at the top of the National Geographic article, you'll see a picture of the 2007 sinkhole. It is different than the 2010 one.

So' date=' this will happen anywhere that people don't support their water infrastructure? That's more disturbing than the pictures.[/quote']

My dh is a geologist & he explained to the kids last night that it has to do with the structure & composition of the soil. It happens when the soils have a large concentration of water soluble mineral in them - limestone, salt beds, carbonate rocks & similar. Under the right conditions, it dissolves - just like sugar in a cup of coffee.

It may have had to do with the underground sewers leaking or it may have been the rainfall from the tropical storm, or a combination of the two - but unless you have those types of soils, you won't get a sinkhole happening.

Edited by hornblower

So' date=' this will happen anywhere that people don't support their water infrastructure? That's more disturbing than the pictures.[/quote']It's not of the same magnitude, but here's one we had in Portland, OR in December of 2006. I don't think an exact cause was ever determined, though undoubtedly water was involved.

2006_Portland01.jpg

It's not of the same magnitude, but here's one we had in Portland, OR in December of 2006. I don't think an exact cause was ever determined, though undoubtedly water was involved.

2006_Portland01.jpg

Oh for pete's sake. Right after I wrapped my brain around the "only risk we have here is earthquakes" (cause you know how benign those are :001_rolleyes:) and now you post this? Portland? That's like within a day's drive of me. :001_huh:

Oh for pete's sake. Right after I wrapped my brain around the "only risk we have here is earthquakes" (cause you know how benign those are :001_rolleyes:) and now you post this? Portland? That's like within a day's drive of me. :001_huh:
Sorry. :grouphug: