Menu

Where did all you newbies come from?

I have a toddler who I think I might want to homeschool once he's school age. Since I don't know anyone who homeschools I thought a message board would be the next best thing to understanding it all. I also wanted to know about all the different options and curricula available.

I lurk mainly and want to thank you all. I have learned so much about education in general since I started coming here when I was pregnant and on bed rest.

I am another one who stumbled upon WTM from Google. I was searching for curriculum for NEXT year last fall (LOL, yeah I'm obsessive). I thought I had it all figured out but I am rethinking things after the way things went this year. (I have MS so I need a more relaxed way to teach than what I did last year). I too am so grateful for all the wonderful advice from all the moms who have come before me. I am not one to reinvent the wheel so I am grateful for all the help everyone has so kindly given!!!

before I signed up and posted. I am learning so much. I agree with another poster. It's my facebook substitute. Facebook just makes me feel old. :)

And the 50 posts thing. That did it too. But at this point in the school year, I'm too tired to post too many things for sale. So now I'm here just to hoist my obnoxious opinions on everyone. :)

I read WTM this past Dec/Jan and have been lurking since then. I registered when I needed suggestions for helping my DD start reading, etc... Because I'm not technically hs'ing her, I still feel somewhat intimidated regarding posting. There is a wealth of information here that I've been slowly compiling into a spreadsheet (including thread links) for reference.

My goal is to homeschool her, but I can only do that if I am able to telework. (At worst, I'll afterschool her) She'll go to ps for K (2011), and I'll start hs for 1st. I'm hoping two years will be enough time for me to move up the waiting list for telework. DH was an obstacle initially, but he's starting to come over to my thinking as we have had extensive conversations about why I want to hs. As long as I can make it work, he's game. I don't think he'll teach any of the subjects (I would like him to do math, since that's my weakest subject), but he'll do "daddy school" to show her useful things like how a lawnmower works and how to fix it.

I found the forum while searching google for side-by-side comparisons on curricula after having sent away for twenty trillion catalogs. I stayed because it is so much cheaper to feed my addiction vicariously.

I'd like to add my thanks for those of you who have been here and done this already. Your experiences and opinions fascinate me.

I also waste a lot of time lurking. :)

I had to go check out my post listing and realized that I'm considered a newbie.

I've lurked/rarely commented on these boards for close to 8 years?! I can't believe it.

My husband and I picked up WTM, read it. He had to convince me that homeschooling would be great, and we started reading the forums ages ago when it was in it's other format.

This is actually our first year of homeschooling, K, but this board has been my lifeline.

I'm new, but I've been reading the boards for about 2 years. I read TWTM three years ago, and that's how I found the forums.

This might be creepy, but this forum is really interesting. For me, at least. There's a woman who's a huge role model to me--she left her medical practice to raise and homeschool her kids. She told me recently that she finds SAHMs and homeschooling parents to be much more interesting to talk to than other people. Why, I asked? She said they(parents) were always learning something and self-educating, so in conversation they always had something to ask, contribute or expand on. Maybe that's why I like the boards--all of the intelligent and thought-provoking threads.

Also, there is SO SO SO much curriculum out there, and trying to find the "right" one is quite daunting. I take a pen and paper to the curriculum board and take notes so I can make good decisions the first time around and hopefully save some time, money and frustration.

It was one of those chicken and egg things with me. I can't remember if I read TWTM first or I wound up here because of google. I lurked for a long time - thinking the classical model couldn't work for my special boys but through TOG I realize I can make it work.

I love reading the board. First I started reading the curriculum reviews and found that very helpful. Then I started reading whatever popped up as 'new since last visit.' This board is the most diverse homeschool board on the web. I don't really fit into a neat 'type' of person so I love that.

So I might not post much but I really enjoy this corner or the web. Thanks everybody.:)

My dd had been in PS since day one. When middle school arrived this last fall and I lost my job I started thinking about the things I did not like about her education. Not enough science, lack of grammar instruction, middle school drama, homework after she had spent 7 hours at school.... I started searching on homeschool topics and found this site. I love the diversity of this forum and the amount of info you get from people who have "been there, done that".

I am a little over 100 also, but I thought that I would add my .02. I actually checked the Well Trained Mind book out of the library and became very intested in this type of schooling. I googled it and found this forum. I love it here and I am on WAY too much!!!! I have learned so much from everyone here and I am so happpy to have found this site.

A Five in a Row friend, Cindy in OH, linked this article for my benefit on a question I had regarding junior high boys on the FIAR boards. I saw there were forums and registered when I realized this was a very active board and there were special forums specifically for high school homeschool questions.

I keep posting because I don't want to be larvae. ;)

Hello,

I read it when reading a review of the WTM book, and initially I was curious but since I joined the group, I have been hooked. I don't post much as I am new but i spend a lot of time reading. This is a great site. Wonderful exchange of ideas -:001_smile:

I stumbled onto this board a couple of years ago when I was looking for some fun math and science enrichment to use over the summer. When we decided to homeschool my older dd this year, I spent hours reading old threads and went to bed bleary eyed many nights. It has been a wonderful experience and I would not have been able to feel as confident about our choices without the wisdom I've gained from everyone here.

Thank you!!

Margie

After reading about homeschooling styles, I stumbled on WTM (book) and read it - click! - that's what I was looking for....when I started searching online for more information and such, I found the forums, last summer (2009), lurked for a while, then joined. But I wasn't really an active poster until recently - for the last year I've been fairly "informal" with how I'm doing things with DS - no real structure, but some thing consistently (math and phonics), but now I'm working to get everything together to "formally" start first grade with DS next month (we'll HS year-round).

I bought WTM book at a thrift store a couple years ago. I dusted it off recently and started reading it again. WTM forums was mentioned different times on another forum & so thought I'd check it out. I've learned so much here & continue to learn a lot here as I continue to look at curriculum.

I had considered homeschooling on-and-off since oldest was in 5th grade, but starting out with three kids to teach was just tooooooo intimidating a thought!

This winter we decided to homeschool youngest for the middle school years. I spent days during the incredibly snowy mid-Atlantic February googling, reading blogs, and searching for an active hs forum. I read a mention of WTM (seriously, just the initials) on a blog somewhere so googled away to find this :)

I read every.single.day. I love it here. Plus I've found the highschool and college forums to be so valuable even though I'm not homeschooling our two highschoolers!

You know, (Off Topic here a bit), I've been wondering (not accusing anyone, just wondering) if some of the people on this board are not really homeschoolers themselves, but are actually trying to do research for articles or marketing.

I also was encouraged to find other NaNoWriMo folks here last November!

I love the WTM NaNoers.

There are definitely creators of hs curriculum who weigh in here, sometimes b/c someone who likes their materials points out a thread to them, other times b/c they would be members here regardless. I think it's a good thing. It helps curriculum makers tailor their products to our needs more quickly and effectively.

If people were researching articles here, you'd think the articles would improve...:tongue_smilie:

from the Sonlight forum. I found out about you there from others that are members of both. Now I hang here more often-and I don't have to pay to be a member. I also love that all types of homeschoolers with all religious backgrounds can get along here. We are a Christian family-but run a secular homeschool. In real life we can find it hard to find homeschool groups to join since we aren't homeschooling for religious reasons.

I joined in Feb after a friend suggested it. I pulled DS from public and needed some guidance and a place to get curriculum. I have been active on other boards for years but now find I am here more than anyplace else. TWTM opened my eyes and you guys give me the strength to feel confident that I CAN homeschool my kids through HS. I just got tired of accepting that "there are some really good teachers and some really bad teachers" and that I had to keep my fingers crossed that my kids are getting what they need.

It's like driving a car with only 3 of the 4 wheels on tight. Sure you may make it where you are going okay....but maybe not!

I've been listening in on the conversation for about four years now.:001_smile: I think you would be surprised of the number of persons that frequent these boards for advice and encouragement but never make a post.

I heard about these boards by reading TWTM. I live on an island that doesn't have a well equipped library. It would find extremely difficult to homeschool without the advice I receive on these boards and the internet.

Now that I've started posting, it's so addictive.:D

Just a few weeks ago, my son finished his K curriculum, and I was in the midst of frantic research for 1st grade advice. I hit a few other sites (I think I was at The Homeschool Lounge) when someone linked to these forums.

I read TWTM last year, but didn't know there were forums, and after lurking for about a week, I finally jumped in. I'm glad I did, it's been a great resource!

I just joined recently because I seemed to end up on this forum quite a bit while looking for new homeschooling ideas. Now I'm still in lurk-mode while I read threads and get acquainted with things.

So I guess I could say I found my way here by google! I have also heard of this board through mothering.com's homeschooling threads.

Same here. I've been here since my dd was in preK and she's going into 7th grade next year!

I don't have many posts because I lurk much more than I post. I guess it's the introvert in me. :) I "listen" to the conversations more than I join them. I've been here for the last 9 years. My dd is getting ready to start her high school years, and I've been coming to the boards since the summer before we started kindergarten.

Guest FiveLittleMonkeys10

I used to have a fear of technology. (Okay, not really a fear, but you know.)

Slowly, but surely my DH introduced me to the internet. Lol.

I was homeschooling for 11 years before embracing the internet.

My husband suggested we get internet since we were homeschooling and could find a lot of resources on there, plus our dc could use it.

We finally got it my DS's 11th grade year.

He didn't even know about cable until he was 10 :tongue_smilie:

I found this site after years of not embracing the internet, and am sad I excluded internet from our lives for all those years. :(

We started homeschooling last September. Most of the boards in the UK are strong proponents of 'autonomous education', ie unschooling. After a chaotic three months of unsuccessfully trying to interest my then 8 year old in everything and anything I was at my wits end. I'd read about a dozen books on home education and had looked at TWTM on Amazon, but thought it looked rather serious and 'schooly'. Anyway, out of desperation I bought myself a copy for Christmas and, as they say, have never looked back ... What a relief! Having taken on board the idea of 'classical education' I soon began to tire of the UK homeschool boards, mainly because they just tend to whine constantly about how unfair the government/local authorities/schools, etc are, so I looked to see if there was any board associated with TWTM, and here I am.

I love this board. If it hadn't been for TWTM and Hive Mind I wouldn't still be homeschooling. As it is I'm loving homeschooling and have some very happy little boys.

Hello there fellow CarolineUK,

I know what you are talking about! My children were born in UK and started homeschooling there.

I found the forum because I was looking for Heart of Dakota reviews. I was aware of the WTM and classical philosophy, but my children were really small and I didn't feel the need for the forum back then. But now that they are going to 3rd and 2nd grade, I think I am here to stay..

I am less than 2 weeks away from my due date for my first child. My husband and I have discussed homeschooling our children (if we were blessed with children) for many years. I have been spending a lot of time researching different methods while having a fairly good idea of the things that we wanted to teach. I like the Classical Education method and the Thomas Jefferson method from what I have seen of them so far and will likely do a combination of the 2 with some other things added in. I was reading through a post and thought I could really give a little insight into a question the poster had concerning college and figured I like the forum and decided to join.

I'd had an account here for awhile, but I've only recently started posting regularly. I'm switching curriculum next year and feel a little strange posting on the other company's boards. I'd been a member of the other group for years, and I miss not being able to talk about HSing as freely.

I really enjoy reading the posts and have learned quite a bit!