Menu

Curious what you do for PE?

Just let them run around and play outside. :)

Do you have to report a list of activities to your state? We don't, so I've never worried about it.

ETA: I do have them jump on a mini-trampoline in between subjects to get a little exercise and get their wiggles out, so I suppose that could count as PE too.

I figured we would continue her seasonal sports, Take walks with the dogs, she loves to bike, and she loves hooping! She also wants to get a wii for the rainy days. Im still in the deciding mode for the wii. I think she may take swim lessons. She took dance for 2 years so she may do that again and I will probably get a b-ball hoop at the new house for her.

They also have a LEAH program at our local gym for home schoolers. However I have not been able to contact anyone successfully about the LEAH program.

But like most of you , I think good old fashioned outside play is always best! ;)

My boys run around outside, climbing trees, building forts, inventing games and just having fun. We live in the bush and there's nothing but woods around us. They're outside a good 5 or 6 hours a day during the summer and around 3 or 4 even during the winter. They love the freedom of being outside. We don't have to report anything. We're going to start Archery this year, and if I had to report, that's probably what I'd do. I suppose for the other I'd say "recreation", "relay races", "climbing", "rock climbing", and any other official-sounding words I could think of to describe what comes naturally to them. :001_smile:

In the summer, dd11 is outside about 10 hours a day when we are camping, climbing, building forts, exploring the area for bugs, tadpoles, etc. So - outdoor pursuits. DD6 doesn't tolerate heat as well, so she only spends a 3 or 4 hour period, divided between morning and evening. In the winter, both play ringette and swim. DD6 also does dance. We are looking at the possibility for basketball as well.

We have the Wii for the mid day wiggles, and a treadmill (freebie on Freecycle). Actually plan on having a work out schedule in the winter for both and have them participate in the long distance runs the area has. DD13 and I did 5 Km on New Years morning this year.

Not to mention, dog walking(we have 2), biking, skate boarding, roller blading, nature walks, playing in the park.

We were in tennis lessons. We walk a LOT. Boys are starting karate, daughter in dance.

I had rented a few FIt Kid type videos from the library and the kids loved them. :001_huh: Soooo now that we have cable back I found that FIT TV on demand had kids exercise videos... just a few of them but if it's too hot to go outside and play hard, it works.:001_smile:

Interested in what activities everyone does for PE? :)

my kids jump on the trampoline. a lot. in the summer they swim. a lot. they go on critter hunts around the neighborhood. a lot. they chase each other through the house. a lot.

that pretty much sums it up. they're not fat and they're fit as race horses. love it. free range kids.

In the past we've done soccer, baseball, bowling league (my dd has earned scholarship money from doing very well in bowling tournaments--has about a 160 avg, while I can't even break 100.) Ds #2 will start the big kid bowling league in the fall.

For those who are interested in bowling--AMF is running Kids Bowl Free again this summer. Every day of the summer the kids (upper age limit varies by location) get two free games of bowling (shoe rental is extra), for around $25 you can add 4 older teens/adults to that, and they will get two free games a day, too. VERY good deal. In the heat of the summer, the bowling center is a nice cool place to go mid-day.

Both of my dc take karate 2-3x/week for 90 min. per session, plus the local homeschooler's Swim & Gym program weekly (30 min. in the gym, 30 min. swim lesson). My ds plays soccer as well, 1-3x/week. Dd was doing gymnastics weekly, but has dropped that and may start soccer herself.

Before we moved here, my kids also participated in a homeschooler's bowling league in the winter, and had informal kid-organized play in the park in the spring/summer/fall (capture the flag, freeze tag, etc.)

We don't document our PE time, but it is certainly easier to do so if the dc are involved in some formal outside activity with recordable hours.

Mmmmm, well, we don't have any requirements to do PE in my state, but we do plenty of physical activities for health and fitness. . .

Things we've done / we do. . .

• Ski club in the winter (weekly downhill skiing) with occasional lessons
  • Community soccer in the spring
  • Swim lessons for a few months in the fall
  • Lots of free play outside -- bikes, jungle gym, zip wire, etc.
  • Community basket ball in the winter
  • Lots of free swim in community pools in the summer, and at the beach in the fall
  • Family and scout hiking/camping/etc
  • etc, etc.

My personal PE goals are limited to:

1) learning how to swim WELL and pass a life saving course by age 16 (as we tend to swim at unguarded beaches). . .

2) maintain a healthy active lifestyle while

3) learning a handful of "lifetime" sports such as hiking/soccer/swimming/etc. . .

I guess my kids are weird. They would rather not be outside and so if I want PE to be done I need to direct it.

We have been doing the cards from fitdeck junior. I try to do 12 cards a day broken up into 4 three card sets spaced through the day. I wish my kids liked to play outside more, but it isn't the case here.

A link to fitdeck:

fit deck junior

http://www.fitdeck.com/fitness-bodyweight-only/junior/

Ballet/Tap and whatever other Community center classes DD wants to do (depending on the season, that's included cheerleading, swimming, and t-ball so far, and I know she's dying to do baton twirling), plus all the usual outside play stuff, dance practice at home (we have several "dance class on DVD" videos that I'll do with her, tap shoes and all), and just generally being active.

My kids are in gymnastics--1 hour/week for my 5yo, 3 hours/week for my 7yo.

They are pretty active, so we try to get outside everyday...we have a nice playground next door and they love to run races in the yard.

I just got a croquet set, so I'm hoping we'll learn to play this summer when things slow down for DH. We also take family walks and the kids are wanting to learn soccer.

My girls are in a homeschool pe class once a week. This year they have done flag football (something I would NEVER have taught them at home ;)), soccer, track & field and some fun games like "Don't Steal the Bacon". They have thoroughly enjoyed it. We may try to do it two days a week next year.

Other than that, they do a ton of running around and playing (bike riding, scooters, walking the dog, etc).

They have been involved in dance, gymnastics, swim and golf at various times. It depends on what they want to do.

My 7y/o is on the gymnastics team... that is 12 hours/week! The other kids all go for a few hours each week too! Then we have swimming, golf, soccer, baseball, softball, horse riding lessons, etc...

However, besides all of that I do have a "PE" type class with them here at home. I have a list of 'skills' for each of them to work on {basic skills... jump rope, hoola hoop, bounce a ball, dribble, catch, throw all types of balls, roller skate, etc...) and games I want them to learn. I add more as needed/thought of. Stretching is also done everyday.

Of course, we also take family walks and bike rides a few times/week. I run, so the kids are very interested in that and there is a 5K this summer my 7y/o will be running with me.

I also pick different sports depending on the time of the year and the kids learn how to play and learn the rules. Even if it's not something they would want to play on a 'team'... they always enjoy this!

We all LOVE PE here :tongue_smilie:

If you have a child who is interested in running this program is really neat!

We are pretty relaxed about "P.E.". My boys ride bikes every day. They climb trees and chase each other around. We don't do TV or computer games and we box and put away the toys for the summer, except a ball to kick around and some baseball stuff. I lead an active lifestyle by walking to mailbox, hiking and going for walks and swims in the lakes on our days off, mowing the lawn weeding, etc.

She jumps so much that I would not need to worry about it... LOL I let her jump between lessons (to get the wiggles out) a times.....

But she does Ballet and Swimming Lessons - and I would count that for PE....

Also, we do other recreational activities (like camping, bike riding, neighborhood walks, etc) plus they do all the running and playing around the house, backyard and the park - uuuf I'm tire talking about it... LOL

Kate

I don't believe in "p.e." :D

My dds did dance for many years, and soccer a couple of times, and rode their bicycles and whatnot. Of course, they'd have done those things whether we hsed or not.:)

If I'd had to record stuff, of course I've had checked off "p.e."

This year, my kids participated on the homeschool swim team 2 days a week and my son took a gymnastics class one day a week while my daughter took ballet. This summer, we're going to try couch to 5k and spend some time learnng tennis.

Lisa

We do a variety of things for "P.E.," depending on the season.

Hiking and biking when the weather is good. Swimming in the heat of summer. DS runs and plays outside all the time - both at home by self and at park with homeschool group.

Two things we do that are a lot of fun and fairly inexpensive --

Fit Deck Cards

http://www.fitdeck.com/

I own the junior set and the speed ladder set. We try to incorporate some exercise/movement between subjects. The speed ladder set is rated for older children, but my 8-year-old son hasn't had a problem with the moves. We do use sidewalk chalk and draw 3-4 different patterns out at a time and rotate through them.

Speedminton

http://www.speedmintonusa.com/

My daughter, an Aspie, is not an outdoor type, and she's had all kinds of problems with balance, motor skills and coordination, plus flat feet, that have made regular exercise a real challenge. She was afraid of motion when she was very young. OT helped, and after that she enjoyed playing two-square and running around with other kids at a co-op.

She's had swimming lessons for kids on the spectrum, played briefly on a "developmental" volleyball team (for uncoordinated, unpracticed kids), and tried beginning ice skating. At the moment she is riding and jumping horses. She takes lessons two or three times a week, depending, and works at the stables an extra day, walking horses, grooming, hauling sawdust and food buckets, sweeping, etc. When she finds something she loves, she's one motivated kid despite her handicaps.

No requirement for reporting, but being relatively active is one of our goals for her, so (age 9):

• aikido---1.5 hours per week family class with dad, option for an additional 1.5 hours twice a month (but we don't always make that)
  • structured PE/lifeskills homeschool class at Boys and Girls Club---x1 per month Sept-May -- 45 min gym, 45 min crafts/life skills, 45 min other (sometimes games, art, etc), and the last session is a full on field day of games (this is great at $20 per year!)
  • structured PE class at sportscenter---2 hours per week, 11 weeks in fall and 11 weeks in spring---basic rules and skills for various sports--whiffleball, rollerskating, flag tag, flag football, soccer, basketball, etc, with bouncing around in bounce houses and other games thrown in periodically (more expensive but she has really enjoyed it the last two years)
  • neighborhood swim team in May and June---3 or so 1.5 hour practices per week for May, June includes practices and one to two meets per week (started this last summer and I am pleased to see that this year she is taking it much more seriously)
  • recreational---once a month homeschool rollerskating for 2 hours, bike riding and playing in neighborhood, weekly park day with hs group (though that isn't really all that active for her group of friends), swimming during the summer in neighborhood pool and grandparents' pool, at least one week of traditional summer day camp with lots of activities through Girl Scouts

When my older son was elementary/middle school age, I was lucky to be able to find homeschool programming for P.E. through our local YMCA, then through a gymnastics place that offered well-rounded classes. Alas, those are all long gone and so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my younger son.

At various times, I've used their extra-curricular sports as P.E. Also have used: 4-H archery; summer swim or swim lessons; city park tennis lessons; free play during weekly park play dates; bowling arranged for a group of homeschoolers; open play gymnastics time, etc.

I have seen some books on P.E. activities to do at home, but have never used those. You could always use exercise videos, the new Wii fit options, or just walking/running in your own neighborhood, too.....