Menu

Online P.S....anyone else see them as a HUGE threat to homeschooling?

I've just gotten my 3rd postcard advertising a different online public school...it's free!...it's a research-based curriculum!...it slices and dices!:glare:

I am sooo sick of all of these companies trying to entice me back into public school. I am also really alarmed, b/c I have had alot of people lately assume that we are doing public school online at home when I tell them we homeschool.

It appears that the term "homeschool" means online school to many people now, and I fear that soon there won't be enough homeschoolers who are educating without a governement program to defend the movement. I'm probably over-reacting, but people didn't used to say "Oh, you're having them do online school?" when I told them we homeschool.

Also, many homeschoolers in this area have been drawn away into these programs, and it's bothering me.

Has anyone else noticed this trend, and if so, are you bothered by it?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I dare get into this?

No. I don't see them as a threat at all. I think the more options we have to educate our kids, the better.

There have been misconceptions about homeschooling from the beginning, and there will probably continue to be for a long time. I had a lady give me a flyer recently for a local indoor play program, "so my kids could get some social interaction" (this was a lady from our karate class, lol). Being angry about another form of education that might be benefitting people because you are afraid of being misperceived by someone doesn't make sense at all to me.

I am in a virtual charter school. We have made no changes to how we school, except that we have to check in periodically. However, my kids have all sorts of opportunities now that we couldn't afford before we started this program. Up until now we haven't been able to do any activities. Now my daughter is passionate about karate, my son has overcome his fear of the water in swim lessons, we were able to order new curricula when the $5 copy of Saxon math I got used wasn't working for DS.

A friend is doing K12. Her older kids had passed her up in math, and her younger kids weren't getting much time from her because she was busy with the olders. She probably would have just had to put her big kids in school if she couldn't do an online school.

I've heard the argument about giving our freedoms away as we put ourselves back under the public schools' authority. Honestly, I just don't see that happening. What I do see is that many parents who wouldn't be able to keep their kids home have options through virtual schools, and kids have access to resources that they wouldn't otherwise have.

Not bothered at all. I'm glad there is one more fish in the pool of education. :)

For some people, online schooling is a terrific gateway into the word of home education. They aren't quite confident enough to dive right in, and the online schooling is a way of getting their hand held until they get the hang of it.

FWIW, I know several people who tried public online schools and didn't care for it, so they did something else the next year.

Nope, I don't see them as a threat, I see them as a great option for families that don't want to exclusively have a parent led homeschool.

Before, there were a lot of people who didn't want the full responsibility of homeschooling, but they didn't want to use traditional methods either. I see online schools as a great option for these kids.

Some states are having difficulty funding these programs. I think they can be benefical to some families. Sometimes the public school at home option may be the best option for a family. It may be the only way a family can school their children at home is by using these programs. There are different reasons to use the programs. I wish our state had more of these programs.

I think they are a great option. The one we use allows us to choose our own curriculum, schedule, etc.

Here in Washington, many independent homeschoolers and even the state's homeschool organization is vehemently against them. We are excluded from the organization (yet they make money from us going to their convention) and co-ops are even starting to exclude us. All because they think we are risking the future of homeschooling. However, the legislature is doing quite the opposite. This year, they attempted to cut all funding for the virtual schools, assuming that 25% of the students would return to a brick and mortar public school and 75% would return to independent homeschooling. So rather than the government cutting homeschooling as homeschoolers fear, they attempted to do exactly the opposite, force the families back into homeschooling independently.

I'm in Ohio also, but I guess I'm on the wrong mailing list, since I never get any of those ads;).

No, I don't consider it a threat at all. The vast majority of people I speak with have no clue as to what homeschooling really means. I doubt they have much more of a clue about online public school. Regardless, their opinion or impression of what we are doing doesn't have much impact on us.

I predict that this will grow by leaps and bounds as more and more public school systems get into worse financial shape. I have already heard talk among some of my ps administrator-type friends that their districts are considering doing their own online school programs. It is expensive to do that but still cheaper than bringing their students to a brick and mortar school.

My concern with this has to do with who supervises the kids while they are at home doing online school? Will Mom or Dad quit their jobs to make sure Junior gets his lessons done? I can only imagine faith-based and other community organizations taking up the slack by having long tables filled with computers and kids who check in and out. Far from ideal, but what are you going to do? Three local ps schools are in financial trouble, but all three bond levies failed earlier this week.

Who knows? The day it gets bad enough for them to give up football will be the day I know they are serious about doing something about their financial trouble. And they are not there yet.

Yes, I see them weakening the traditional hsing movement.

I can also see the positive side of how it offers some people to keep their kids at home when they would have no other way.

But I lived in a state where there is no option other than traditional ps and traditional hs and the hsing community there was huge and STRONG. So many things going on, it was crazy. If anyone wanted a particular activity for their kids, they had to organize it. Because of the strong support, most people continued to hs high school and did well. The general hs population also had lesser financial means.

I now live in a state where there are many schooling options. The hs community here is weak. As soon as things get difficult for some, they sign up for a charter school. Also, there are many people who would never traditional hs cause "it's academically questionable", but think the cyber is a great choice. The people here are generally financially well off.

What has been my struggles living here? A transient hs community. Kids are there one year, not the next. No one to discuss curriculum with cause they don't buy any. Literally, no one I know knows about curriculum as much as I do. They have no idea that a hsing person could buy DVDs to teach their kids math! No hs activities.

Dh does. It's funny, because I'm usually more paranoid than he is. He's afraid that the gov't is/will use the info to "track" hs'ers.

I guess I'm kind-of glad he's against it, though--it means I don't have to consider it. I like the curric we use, but I'd be hard-pressed to rationalize not using a free system. (Although I guess I'm already doing that, huh?) :lol:

Yes, I see them weakening the traditional hsing movement.

I can also see the positive side of how it offers some people to keep their kids at home when they would have no other way.

But I lived in a state where there is no option other than traditional ps and traditional hs and the hsing community there was huge and STRONG. So many things going on, it was crazy. If anyone wanted a particular activity for their kids, they had to organize it. Because of the strong support, most people continued to hs high school and did well. The general hs population also had lesser financial means.

I now live in a state where there are many schooling options. The hs community here is weak. As soon as things get difficult for some, they sign up for a charter school. Also, there are many people who would never traditional hs cause "it's academically questionable", but think the cyber is a great choice. The people here are generally financially well off.

What has been my struggles living here? A transient hs community. Kids are there one year, not the next. No one to discuss curriculum with cause they don't buy any. Literally, no one I know knows about curriculum as much as I do. They have no idea that a hsing person could buy DVDs to teach their kids math! No hs activities.

Is it possible that there are other factors at play than the presence of online schools? There are many, many options where I live and I haven't come across the problems you're facing. My friends range from militantly homeschooling to taking it one year at a time, and while I don't know any true unschoolers, I do know school-in-a-boxers and piece-it-togetherers and everyone in between. I know many people with an extensive knowledge of curricula, including other people using virtual schools. More activities than any family could possible participate in or afford.

I think there probably isn't the same "us against the world" mindset that early homeschoolers had, but with the growth of any movement you'll find it getting away from the purists, I think.

When people say something like, "Do your your kids use the computer for school?" I say, "No, they use books." :D

I have misgivings about using the public homeschool option because I don't want the hassle of trying to tweak a non-classical program to be classical and I don't want to have to meet with a teacher to discuss my kids. I like flexibility and being in control. :) The public schools here are underfunded, so I think they are pushing virtual school option as a way to reduce their expenses (something like $2,000 per year instead of $6,000).

I don't feel threatened by them, though.

Yes, government-funded schools like these *are*threats. People get sucked right into them because it's "free," and they don't realize the real freedom they are giving up. And yes, there have been problems in some communities because so many hsers jump into that pool, and then local school officials put immense pressure on homeschoolers to join the party.

Part of the problem is that people don't understand that these are *public schools," not homeschooling. It's a legal issue, and it does make a difference.

HSLDA has several good articles on them.

Part of the problem is that people don't understand that these are *public schools," not homeschooling. It's a legal issue, and it does make a difference.

I agree with this. It becomes difficult for administrators to see the difference. If we're tracking X with *these* homeschoolers (even though they are actually public-school students), why can't we do it with those *other* homechoolers?

I actually see them as great options for families.

I am in favor of having as many education options as possible.

No. I don't see them as a threat at all. I think the more options we have to educate our kids, the better.

Not bothered at all. I'm glad there is one more fish in the pool of education. :)

:iagree:

Free public school online is no more a threat to homeschooling than free public school down the street. Both of which are great options for an awful lot of people.

it does supply a certain amount of flexibility into things, and my gripe with p.s. is first the atmosphere and second the curriculum. if you can eliminate one of those evils then you've done some good.

it is no threat to me because i will never use that for my kids. it's kind of like mcdonalds...it's another option, albeit a cr*ppy one. i don't have to walk into the store if i don't want to.

For some people, online schooling is a terrific gateway into the word of home education. They aren't quite confident enough to dive right in, and the online schooling is a way of getting their hand held until they get the hang of it.

FWIW, I know several people who tried public online schools and didn't care for it, so they did something else the next year.

:iagree:That's how we got here, I was too afraid to start on my own. One year of K12 has helped to bolster my confidence, clarify what works for DD, and what our goals for her education are. I am planning my first year on my own with excitement and much less fear.

No such thing as 'free' anything.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. On the surface, I think they are a great option. On the other hand, I can see the slippery-slope of government infringement on personal freedom, as well.

I am in favor of having as many education options as possible.

It's not for me, but I'm glad that it is an option. I know one family that does this and I think it serves certain families very well.

I agree with this. It becomes difficult for administrators to see the difference. If we're tracking X with *these* homeschoolers (even though they are actually public-school students), why can't we do it with those *other* homechoolers?

Hmm.... Something to think about.

Being angry about another form of education that might be benefitting people because you are afraid of being misperceived by someone doesn't make sense at all to me.

To clarify...I'm not worried about what some individual person thinks of homeschooling vs. public school online. I'm concerned bc of what it shows me about the general population's perception of what qualifies as homeschooling. This does matter, as Ellie said, bc of the legal language and issues.

I also have seen, as Ruthie said, a weakened hs community here during the last 3 or 4 years. Four years ago is when the online schools started getting going around here. One support group is gone, another is down to 6 or 7 families. By the time homeschoolers hit junior high, many of them switch to the online public school. Among those that I know who have switched, they did so NOT bc they thought it was their best option - this is what they told me: They did it bc it was free. They did it bc they wanted to start a catering business. They did it bc they were afraid of the whole high school thing.

I have no problem with someone choosing to use an online public school bc it is the best option for them and their kids. Some of my good friends use this option. I DO have a problem with traditional homeschoolers, i.e. homeschoolers who are not using government funds, being lumped in with them.

Plus, the postcards irritate me, lol.:rant:

Guest ToGMom
Yes, government-funded schools like these *are*threats. People get sucked right into them because it's "free," and they don't realize the real freedom they are giving up. And yes, there have been problems in some communities because so many hsers jump into that pool, and then local school officials put immense pressure on homeschoolers to join the party.

:iagree: You also ought to look up "Exposing a Trojan Horse"...I saw this video at a homeschool meeting and it was truly eye-opening!! :(

I'm no more concerned about public "at home school" than private "at home school" programs such as Veritas Academy, BJU Academy, Abeka Academy, CLASS, Oak Meadow...

They are just as much a threat IMO, why? Because if the gov't ever decided to outright "outlaw" homeschooling, they could say -- there are other options, you can choose from these approved private at home schools.

None of those private "at home school" programs are so-called "parent-led." When you as a homeschooler choose the private "at home school" option, you are electing their curriculum, their standards, their rules. It's no different than the public "at school option." The only difference is who is providing the curriculum. A private "at home school" option can be supplemented, as can a public "at home school" option.

What really chaps me is that a private "school at home" family is given entrĂƒÂ©e' into all of the homeschool co-ops, HSLDA, NCFCA, whatever, and proudly wears the label "homeschooler" -- and those who have signed up for a public charter are "public school kids," with the "no trespassing signs" raised high.

More options are better for everyone. So, if you are going to be terrified that the gov't is going to be using these public charters as a method to end-run homeschooling, you'd better start worrying and boycotting all of the private at-home schoolers too! Just sayin

I don't see it that way. While I might not legally be a homeschooler, I am still teaching my children, choosing their curriculum, etc. Regardless of my legal standing, my actions in support of homeschooling and the benefits it has afforded my family strengthen homeschooling far more than they would strengthen public schools.

What freedom am I giving up, exactly? I can leave the program at any time. I will gladly defend the rights of "true homeschoolers" if they become threatened...but if they do, I refuse to believe it is because of something *I* am doing. I've heard people say before that virtual schools are what is going to bring down homeschooling because a time will necessarily come where people won't be allowed to homeschool without a virtual school sponsor. I just don't see it happening. Like Joannqn said, in our state it has threatened to go the other way.

As far as HSLDA, they are an organization that is dependent on people who aren't under any government umbrella. I don't expect that they would support government options. But I do hope that people in general, homeschoolers or not, will be able to look at the fact that so many options are available as being a good thing, whether they take advantage of a particular option or not.

/QUOTE]

:iagree: The more options parents have for educating their kids, the better!!!

I have a serious issue with anyone who uses PUBLIC school funding, calling themselves homeschoolers.

I fought and was jailed for the right to homeschool my children. No one decides what, when or how to educate my children, except for my husband and I. It is what we all fought for, we didn't fight for public education at home .

I think those who use a "school at home" public school funded system of any kind, are laughing in the face of those who fought for our rights as homeschoolers.

My opinion, I am entitled to it !

:iagree: I think those who use a "school at home" public school funded system of any kind, are laughing in the face of those who fought for our rights as homeschoolers. My opinion, I am entitled to it !

No, we are not. We are doing the best we can for our families, with what options we have been given. I tell people we school at home using the VA Virtual Academy, and just as I fought for these options, I'd stand by you to fight for yours.

In fact, I have fiought for your rights... since I was 16 years old.

I was not jailed, but I was ostracized, I had pastors preach against "me" from the pulpit. I was put down. I was not excluded from youth events, but clearly "left out." I spoke to FL legislators, I worked precincts. I wrote letters...

The public school option I had was awful. The private schools were not an affordable option, either. Home was my best option -- because I was past the compulsory attendance laws, they couldn't stop me.

Edited by LisaK in VA
grammar

I have a serious issue with anyone who uses PUBLIC school funding, calling themselves homeschoolers.

I fought and was jailed for the right to homeschool my children. No one decides what, when or how to educate my children, except for my husband and I. It is what we all fought for, we didn't fight for public education at home .

I think those who use a "school at home" public school funded system of any kind, are laughing in the face of those who fought for our rights as homeschoolers.

KUDOS!!!

As a fellow Texan, I thank you!

I disagree. I think those who use public education, whether from home or from their local school building, are doing the best they can for their children with the resources they have available to them.

Not bothered by it at all. I think the more options available, the better for the students.

I do think there is an issue with them being called homeschoolers; but they ARE doing school at home, even if it is public school. But the legal issue makes a difference and should somehow be acknowledged.

I think in time, it'll all work out. PS at home is a fairly new phenomena so it'll take time.

I've just gotten my 3rd postcard advertising a different online public school...it's free!...it's a research-based curriculum!...it slices and dices!:glare:

I am sooo sick of all of these companies trying to entice me back into public school. I am also really alarmed, b/c I have had alot of people lately assume that we are doing public school online at home when I tell them we homeschool.

It appears that the term "homeschool" means online school to many people now, and I fear that soon there won't be enough homeschoolers who are educating without a governement program to defend the movement. I'm probably over-reacting, but people didn't used to say "Oh, you're having them do online school?" when I told them we homeschool.

Also, many homeschoolers in this area have been drawn away into these programs, and it's bothering me.

Has anyone else noticed this trend, and if so, are you bothered by it?

No, I'm not alarmed. At one time, back in my uber-fundy days where there was a conspiracy behind every door as far as the fundy churches in the fundy area we lived in were concerned, I would have been. But honestly, no. I actually see them in two ways...1) an opportunity for some families to break into homeschooling that typically would be afraid to and 2) the educational system in this country starting to wise up that they have a need to start competing. Competition is a good thing and that is what we are.

Among those that I know who have switched, they did so NOT bc they thought it was their best option - this is what they told me: They did it bc it was free.

Considering we are spending $8,000 at least per child so they can earn an accredited high school diploma, something that is not up for negotiation in our family, there is alot to be said for free. My dd17 only started homeschooling her junior year, so altogether, we'll pay $18,000 for high school for our 3 children, and that isn't counting the increasing costs that will incur over time. Not every family can homeschool high school. Georgia won't let me grant an accredited diploma, nor do they offer any option for homeschoolers to earn an accredited diploma. My dd17 is applying to colleges and the homeschooling options are difficult. I know there are Georgia homeschoolers who are totally fine with their children having a home-granted diploma. Some of us would rather have an accredited diploma. I think we should have the right, and the respect, to make our own choices.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am certainly grateful for everyone who has fought to make it easier for me to teach my kids at home.

No such thing as 'free' anything.

On the surface, I think they are a great option. On the other hand, I can see the slippery-slope of government infringement on personal freedom, as well.

They are how we got here also. Last year was our first year at home and we used K-12. At that time I thought I was 'homeschooling' and had never been told, nor understood the difference. We quickly realized there were some things we liked about the program, but as a whole, it was not what we wanted.

I disagree. I think those who use public education, whether from home or from their local school building, are doing the best they can for their children with the resources they have available to them.

I think parents should do what is best for their children, no matter what that option is. Just don't call it HOMESCHOOLING. Because it isn't. They are teaching children under the rules of the public school.

It just isn't the same no matter how you cut it. Just because you are teaching them at home doesn't mean you homeschool.

I think parents should do what is best for their children, no matter what that option is. Just don't call it HOMESCHOOLING. Because it isn't. They are teaching children under the rules of the public school.

It just isn't the same no matter how you cut it. Just because you are teaching them at home doesn't mean you homeschool.

I understand your perspective (I think). However, it seems cumbersome to me, when asked where my kids go to school, to say: "I teach my kids at home using a variety of curricula under the supervision of a school district on the other side of the state." I get enough weird looks just telling people I homeschool.

Maybe I should just tell people I "fake homeschool". Maybe we can shorten it to "fakeschool", or "fomeschool".

I don't mean to be harsh, but it does hurt to be told you're "not a real ________". What about Alaskan homeschoolers? If I understand correctly, they all receive government funds.

I understand your perspective (I think). However, it seems cumbersome to me, when asked where my kids go to school, to say: "I teach my kids at home using a variety of curricula under the supervision of a school district on the other side of the state." I get enough weird looks just telling people I homeschool.

Maybe I should just tell people I "fake homeschool". Maybe we can shorten it to "fakeschool", or "fomeschool".

I don't mean to be harsh, but it does hurt to be told you're "not a real ________". What about Alaskan homeschoolers? If I understand correctly, they all receive government funds.

Schooling in your home using school district funds, with school district approved curriculum is not the same. You are a public schooler that just doesn't attend class. Just as those kids with cancer who can't attend classes get their work sent home.

And you are wrong about Alaska, yes there are publicly funded schools there. Most people who use them are in the bush as in don't have a local school anywhere near. I am sure some others use them too, but I don't consider them homeschoolers either.

I homeschooled in Alaska for many years. I was a part of the I.D.E.A. program the first year they opened. I learned very fast as some here, that a public school option is not homeschooling. I didn't have the freedom to teach what I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted. Sure it was free. Soon after I started they changed to where we had to test our children. Then we had to have all curriculum approved, and had to submit lesson plans to a certified teacher.

The idea sounded great to me, but the strings quickly tightened up ! I went on to homeschool for many years there, and in Montana and Texas. I wouldn't homeschool in a state that had more restrictions, but that is just me !!

Schooling in your home using school district funds, with school district approved curriculum is not the same. You are a public schooler that just doesn't attend class. Just as those kids with cancer who can't attend classes get their work sent home.

And you are wrong about Alaska, yes there are publicly funded schools there. Most people who use them are in the bush as in don't have a local school anywhere near. I am sure some others use them too, but I don't consider them homeschoolers either.

I homeschooled in Alaska for many years. I was a part of the I.D.E.A. program the first year they opened. I learned very fast as some here, that a public school option is not homeschooling. I didn't have the freedom to teach what I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted. Sure it was free. Soon after I started they changed to where we had to test our children. Then we had to have all curriculum approved, and had to submit lesson plans to a certified teacher.

The idea sounded great to me, but the strings quickly tightened up ! I went on to homeschool for many years there, and in Montana and Texas. I wouldn't homeschool in a state that had more restrictions, but that is just me !!

We did a public charter school specifically for homeschoolers in California.

I could use any curriculum I wanted, and they would even pay for it if I wanted. I could tend when and how I wanted. The only thing I had to do was meet with a resource teacher once or twice a month, in which we mostly just chatted. That was the one and only extra rule. What it gave us was access to many, many field trips and to the Wednesday enrichment classes such as agriculture. And they helped pay for things like karate and horse riding lessons, if you wanted.

It did not change at what he did at home, and I am not a school at homer. I went by the Well Trained Mind and Latin Centered Curriculum, just as always. I never once used public school curriculum.

We were still homeschoolers!

We did a public charter school specifically for homeschoolers in California.

I could use any curriculum I wanted, and they would even pay for it if I wanted. I could tend when and how I wanted. The only thing I had to do was meet with a resource teacher once or twice a month, in which we mostly just chatted. That was the one and only extra rule. What it gave us was access to many, many field trips and to the Wednesday enrichment classes such as agriculture. And they helped pay for things like karate and horse riding lessons, if you wanted.

It did not change at what he did at home, and I am not a school at homer. I went by the Well Trained Mind and Latin Centered Curriculum, just as always. I never once used public school curriculum.

We were still homeschoolers!

Does the state receive funding for your child being in this program ? Is he listed legally as in public school ?

I understand some states require an umbrella school.

Legally, yes, my kids are public schooled. What I'm doing looks nothing like public school and everything like homeschool. Especially when I'm using curriculum I have chosen, that I would be using if I didn't get government funds.

That's interesting about Alaska. I had heard that homeschoolers automatically get a certain amount of money, no strings attached. :P We already have to register with the state and test every year, so the virtual academy really doesn't give us significant restrictions that we don't already have.

I do respect where you're coming from though, and I appreciate those who have fought for the freedoms I enjoy. :)

Giving yourself special snowflake status does not mean you get to determine who qualifies as a homeschooler.

I personally don't care what YOU foght for, but I do care about what options families have at this time.

I know of many families that use the public school at home as a jumping board to independent homeschooling. Many end up dropping it after a year and going at it on their own. Had it not been for this option they probably wouldn't have found the courage or known they really can do it on their own. Myself included :)

Giving yourself special snowflake status does not mean you get to determine who qualifies as a homeschooler.

I personally don't care what YOU foght for, but I do care about what options families have at this time.

Wow a special snowflake hehehe.

People can not be public schoolers, through a public school program where the school receives funding for that student and a homeschooler at the same time.

They are just two different things. Like night and day.