Is your dh as unhelpful as mine?  

1. 1. Is your dh as unhelpful as mine?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So funny.... my hubby rolls his eyes when the subject of curriculum comes up! LOL I have wore him out! LOL LOL LOL LOL He would prefer to discuss this topic over a drink so he can get through it better:lol::lol:

Don't get me wrong, he is very supportive of homeschooling and wants them home.... I am just a curriculum junkie! HA

:iagree:

My husband doesn't ask me how to solve his problems at work. If he really wants to talk about it, I will listen until my eyes glaze over, but wiremen have hours of study and experience that somehow don't translate into scintillating dinner table conversation. If I interject or opine, I'm just opening the door for more information about conduit and I don't want that! Smile and nod, and tell him he's the smartest one. That's my job.

He feels the same way about me and curriculum.

:iagree::iagree:

My dh doesn't ever look at curriculum and he never asks me questions about it. The only thing he wants is a report card every quarter. LOL The kids will sometimes show him what they are doing and he shows interest, but basically he says he doesn't have to worry about what they are or aren't doing because he trusts me. I am glad that I have control over the schooling. :001_smile:

We are new to homeschooling, though I began researching 10 years ago.

I would say dh is helpful in choosing curricula, in the sense that he simply lets me research and decide. If I am stuck, then he will talk it through with me.

In terms of homeschooling, that is up to me to do. But he always, always asks the girls how their day is going. What are they working on. When dd6 runs up to show what stickers she received, he is always proud of her and does a review of the page with her. When dd11 has a problem with something, he's willing to sit with her and troubleshoot and help HER come up with the answer. I wish I had his touch there..lol.

If we are having behavior issues, he will back me up. If I have had a bad day, and we didn't get as much done as planned, he's ok with it, and will sometimes pull out some worksheets and sit with one of the girls and get them going. They think it is pretty cool to work with dad.

But the day to day decisions and planning are left to me. As with the day to day of the house, the groceries, etc. If help is needed and asked for, it is provided.

I do all the choosing but if I hit a wall and need help he is there. I explain the situation, the choices and he will listen.

He will read articles and such that I ask him to with regards to homeschooling. He will attend homeschooling meeting (we only went to on;) but it was fun)

I let him know whats going on with the children, how they are doing with school and he'll help out in a non school, natural way. Meaning if they are reading a book he'll ask the kids about it. If one is having trouble in math he'll help while they are building something etc.

To me he is helpful. I'm glad he lets me make all the decisions (even though I've made mistakes in the past) he trust me and I appreciate that.

He also helps a lot around the house and doesn't mind if we have oatmeal for dinner after a long school day.

Edited by Homeschooling6

My dh wants a two-minute summary of what I choose and why. Any more than that, he tunes out. I actually like it this way, to tell the truth! I am the one who actually has to deal with the curriculum as I teach.

His philosophy does line up with mine regarding choosing the best you can, trying it out, and being willing to change if necessary.

DH has his jobs, I have mine. If we overlapped in everything, or even in some things I think we'd both go crazy having too much to do!! I couldn't even answer the poll because I don't consider that being "unhelpful" in the least!!!

I'm the teacher, so I choose the curriculum. DH takes care of the yard so he chooses the tools. I cook, so I do the grocery shopping. DH goes to work so he makes sure he shows up!

Is DH supportive of our educational efforts? Incredibly so! Is he involved with the kids in teachable moments (and hours)? Absolutely.

My husband's career is focused on HOW people learn, so we love to have discussions at home in general about the most effective and engaging ways to learn x, y, and z. We also enjoy sharing our observations about how each of our children learns best, but all the details are left to me.

Because we take on complementary roles, we have shalom bayis (peace in the home), and neither of us is overwhelmed with too many details.

I really liked what OhE said! My dh is very supportive of hsing (that's an understatement really) and he works hard to provide for our family which includes hs curriculum. He does want to know how our boys are doing and happy with how school is going. So while he isn't the least bit interested in curriculum no matter how exciting I try to make it, he is interested in the outcome. How I get there is my perogative.

Now, I am a researcher. I'm in charge of choosing the cars we buy, the best tv, the new couch (if we ever get one :tongue_smilie:), and bookshelves. Dh disqualfied himself from that position with the purchase of his car in college :lol:. He admits it and appointed me to the position. If it were the other way around, he'd probably be more involved with curriculum. He is willing to listen to me talk about it and pushes me off the cliff when it comes to an iffy purchase, but it's my job. I like our arrangement because we don't need anymore cooks in the kitchen.

----> DH says "I trust your judgement when choosing proper curriculum for our dc. If I see something that doesnt look good I speak up"

This is EXACTLY what my DH says. And, honestly, what I say when he shows me the garden catalog or his plans for building a computer.

It is best for my family if he an I each stick to our own areas of interest and expertise. He and I have a mutual trust to make the best decision, and I like it that way!

Edited to add: As part of the mutual respect we also have, he will sit and listen as I excitedly show him our new things when they arrive, and I do the same when he buys a new thing-a-ma-jig. Not that I really care about the new gadget, but it is important and exciting to him so therefore it is important to me.

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

I said that he is helpful. Bless his heart he truly wants to be. He does help out with schooling when I ask, and if I want to try a new curriculum he listens as I explain it and talk about it. Or tries to. :tongue_smilie:

But the reality is, as much as he agrees with homeschooling and supports me, it's my PASSION! I get excited over new curriculum, books, conferences... he just goes along for the ride. He is very steady and I am idealistic. He keeps me a little grounded and I keep his life from becoming too boring. LOL

The only interest my dh has shown in the entire time that I've been hsing (13 years) was just a few weeks ago. I was actually chatting with a friend of ours about programming languages because I wanted our 14yo to have a programming course. I asked dh if he had a beginning programming book in a language that was good for first-timers and he pointed me to a book on his shelf that I couldn't decipher myself (and I have learned several programming languages). Our friend works with high schoolers through Lego League, so he has a much better idea of what a beginning level is. He found a Python programming book that he recommended.

My dh wasn't going to be outdone. He found a free Python programming book online. It's actually quite good and my dd is working through it now. He helps with explanations.

http://www.inventwithpython.com

That's really the only input dh has had about hsing. He isn't interested in looking at curricula or seeing any of the work they've done.

Dh once decided, after I had a terrible week, that he was taking over home schooling. I gave him all our curricula. After about 15 minutes, he came to me and handed it all back. :glare::D He teaches our girls Latin (he has a PhD in Classics) and I take care of the rest. He had some input in what we chose for Latin (I gave it to him and asked him if it looked okay to him). He didn't do the research on the various options, he just gave the okay for what I chose. He could care less what I use and that works for me. :D

Yes! My dh will happily and competently do laundry, fix dinner, or clean a bathroom, but look at curriculum?:svengo:

We are both quite content with this arrangement. If I need a higher budget, I trot out a couple of catalogs and yellow legal pads and start talking. The man's eyes immediately glaze over, he reaches into his back pocket, pulls out his wallet, and whispers pathetically, "Take it, take all of it, just please stop talking about MCT, TWTM, WP, SL, ...I'm so lost." I then get up and pour him a nice, cold adult beverage.

Hmm, for the most part I make all the curriculum decisions. My dh very seldom looks through a homeschooling catalog. I keep him abreast of what we are doing/using and he makes commentary.

Most of his input has been in giving me general guidelines for what he wants taught. For example, I must teach the children diagramming (no, he hasn't read the WTM). He was taught diagramming, he thinks it's very useful and he considers it non-negotiable. I respect his wishes and I use R&S to teach my kids diagramming. He forbade me from using Saxon for math. He used it in high school and didn't like its presentation - so another non-negotiable. He doesn't like the WTM approach to elementary science. He wants a textbook approach with a variety of topics each year. He also wants everything taught from a YE perspective (at least at the elementary level). So, we use R&S for science. I'm not allowed to use Omnibus because he doesn't like Douglas Wilson :lol:.

That's really about it. We tend to think alike so he trusts my judgment. Since he has only a very few things he feels strongly about, I respect his wishes on those things without question.

I voted no. My hub does trust me to make the best curriculum decisions and isn't a main part of the decision making. But he is pretty involved in homeschooling and if I ask him for help making a decision he's all ears. When I have my book order rough draft finished I show it to him and ask if he has any input or suggestions before I order anything. He has a fairly good idea of how each curricula we're currently using works out for us, and we're usually on the same wavelength.

I put yes, but I don't really ask him about curriculum. I tell him what I have read, what I think about it and what my goals are, and he actually listens to all I say, and even asks questions. He has even read through the chapters in WTM that have to do with the poll parrot years and grammar stages. So I guess you can say he is informed and interested, but he never really even looks at things before I order.

He basically pays for everything and defers to me on choosing subjects and books. He only (just) insisted that the dc start a High School Spanish text by 6th grade, which I am still trying to choose.:tongue_smilie:

Danielle

But when he is home from work he cleans the whole house and barely leaves anything for me to do.... does that count.:D

Guest Dulcimeramy
OMG. My husband is an electrical contractor and this is exactly how it goes down at my house, eye glazing included. I am laughing so hard I could wet my britches.

Thanks, I needed it. :rofl:

Geo

:lol::lol::lol:

Wrangler, I think everybody has their own mix of how this works. Sometimes well-meaning convention speakers get up and imply that if every dh isn't stepping right in to help with subjects and pick things and lead and guide, then he obviously isn't doing his (spiritual, etc.) duty. My dh works 60 hours a week, comes home weary, and doesn't have time or strength then to listen to every tit for tat nuance on how I'm teaching math facts, correcting writing sprawl, pondering the progymnasta, debating methods of teaching rhetoric, or anything else. It's called DELEGATED. He brings home the bacon, I fry it. I occasionally lose my mind (as in go crazy, needing some help, any help) and ask him his opinion. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. The main thing I'm grateful for is that if he's not going to be up on everything, at least he's not then going to interject his OPINION on things. That would be a worse scenario, lol.

Maybe this is bugging you because you're feeling weak and want someone to buck you up or bolster your self-confidence? Maybe you can find a local homeschooler (or internet) who knows your situation and can do that for you? Not every man is going to, and the wanderings and waverings of some women are too tiresome to their men to be borne with. So I say just accept it, take the empty credit card, do your best, and move on. :)

PS. And to the dh, I say clearly she needs more backrubs, brownies, and nights out. More support. :)

:iagree:LOL! :lol: That's how I see it. My husband has an intense work schedule as well. I'm thankful that he's willing to do it so that we can homeschool in the first place.

I used to lament over his involvement or lack there of. But over time, I'm beginning to see it differently. I like the freedom that I have to choose what ever I think is good for our children. He's happy with what the kids are retaining.. So I think he's comes from the don't fix it if it isn't broken camp. I choose and teach the curriculum. He trusts me with it.

Now if only I could get my mom and aunt to trust the methods behind the madness...:tongue_smilie:My mom loves to push curriculum.... :glare: I love them and appreciate their advice. Sometimes it is helpful, but sometimes it can be too much. They are very dubious concerning homeschoolers-- including my cousin and myself.

Both have over 30 years as veteran public school teachers and masters degrees in education. They think I will rob my own kids...:glare:

To the OP sometimes it's a good thing when you don't have too many people sticking an oar in. If your husband trusts you, go with it! :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I put "no" because even though my dh doesn't participate much when it comes to choosing curriculum it's because that what works best for us (what we both enjoy:001_smile:) and he does participate if/when I ask. I enjoy researching curricula but my dh wouldn't know where to start. When I ask his opinions he is always happy to help the best he can. He's mostly involved with Bible, which is the subject he teaches. I usually research and pick out while he teaches and tells me how he likes what I've picked, etc.

My DH is right in the middle. He gets excited about US History and logic but not much of anything else. He will look at history and literature programs, but not enthusiastically and generally defers to my expertise rather than giving an opinion. He knows nothing (and therefore doesn't care) about programs for the three R's.

I put "no" because even though my dh doesn't participate much when it comes to choosing curriculum it's because that what works best for us (what we both enjoy:001_smile:) and he does participate if/when I ask. I enjoy researching curricula but my dh wouldn't know where to start. When I ask his opinions he is always happy to help the best he can. He's mostly involved with Bible, which is the subject he teaches. I usually research and pick out while he teaches and tells me how he likes what I've picked, etc.

Couldn't have said this better myself. This is exactly how it works in our home. Dh will also go to convention workshops w/me and has been a "good sport" with me volunteering him to usher during the convention so that we can "earn" a spot in the earlybird used curriculum shopping time. :D

Just last week, our youngest was walking around with one of those mini paperbacks. It was the Art of War by Sun Tzu. It was obviously for school, well to me it was. He asked what it was for and I told him that the baby knows her letters and sounds, and that it was being used successfully on my forums, so we were going to use it to teach her to read. I think he believed me.

This quote above has had me in hysterics for the last 10 minutes ! :lol:

My husband's eyes glaze over and his tongue starts to loll out of his head when I go on and on about curriculum choices, methods of homeschooling ect.

So just for my own personal fun and to give myself some giggles, I interject something outrageous like the above into the coversation to see if he is paying attention. He never catches them, he just smiles at me and tells me what a great job I am doing with the kids and then heads off to do something else. I have learned that he will never be someone who is going to get excited about methods of teaching, homeschooling curriculum or anything else in that context. But he is supportive, he loves that we homeschool and that I enjoy it as much as the children and he will ooh and ahh over their papers and projects. He always tells me I am doing an awesome job as the kid's teacher, raves about me to friends and co-workers and if I tell him it is "educational", will allow me to make almost any curriculum purchase I want to buy. He hands over that debit card quickly if he know's the purchase is going to benefit his children's education.

He just is not going to be that husband that I can bounce ideas off of and that wants to discuss the newest homeschooling curriculum choices. I have to do that with my homeschooling friends, because he is just not "there" for those issues.

Those are just the facts, I have accepted them and after 10 years of homeschooling, I am at peace with how our relationship in terms of homeschooling works. :001_smile:

Edited by Momma2Many66
spelling mistake

Mine won't get involved. I don't really mean that as badly as it sounds. If I sat down and said 'you have to help me decide here' he probably would at least feign interest and listen some. But in general his view is that I'm the one who is teaching it, I'm the one who is researching, it's my decision. I like that most of the time. Sometimes it makes me rather stressed because I feel like if they fail at something or I didn't teach something, it's all my fault. But then I'd feel that way even if he chose the curriculum since I'm the one teaching.

Heather

My dh is very willing to read over/study any material that I ask when I am needing a second opinion or another point of view. He knows that I value his opinion and he is a very engaged sounding board for curriculum discussions. This has been particularly wonderful as we are in the high school years. I can't imagine him not willing to fully engage in discussions involving our children's education. The final decision is mine, but his input is invaluable.

My dh has been extremely supportive in my curriculum obsession. He has paused his TV shows over and over again to listen to "oh...look at this!" I think he would be more than happy to just stay out of it, but because he knows my love language is quality time, he is very giving in that area. It means a lot to me when he pays attention to what I'm saying.

Now, on the other hand, when we were recently discussing switching my son's phonics instruction, he was very adamant that he wanted me to go back to SWR. I was surprised that he had such a strong opinion, but it made me feel good and now I know he listens!

He's such a good guy. :001_wub:

DH says "I trust your judgment when choosing proper curriculum for our dc."

Yep, that's what my partner says too. I'm happy to be trusted. I think I'd be annoyed if he saw "something that doesn't look good" and spoke up. This is something I know about and can do well. It's not something he's studied for years. We are task divvy-up'ers. I do this. He does that.

There was a time when we had conversations about method. I remember that he liked the idea of tying everything to history and repeating a history cycle at least once. He had no other opinions. IIRC, he said, "I haven't studied this stuff as intensively as you. You're qualified to make decisions. I'm taking shots in the dark."

So heres the question. I ask him about curriculum and he first heavily sighs.... then rolls his eyes the starts barely skimming what I give him to look at :001_huh:and when he is caught he tries to say he read it. :glare:

So ladies. Does your dh look at curriculum with you with the same intensity as you? (his question.) Or is your dh like mine :banghead: and gloss over what you are trying to get him to help you with.

----> DH says "I trust your judgement when choosing proper curriculum for our dc. If I see something that doesnt look good I speak up"

Back to me.... :cursing::cursing::cursing:

That's basically the same here. He trusts me completely. We do discuss curriculum/ co-op classes. He looks through/ oversees everything and will voice his concerns but he's usually quite happy with everything

His MAIN question is "How much?"

One day I asked his opinion about a class and he asked when the classes were scheduled? I was like WHAAAAAT?!?

He smiled because he KNOWS I've got him pegged.

He doesn't micro manage me and I love it but sometimes he's so laid back. When I need direction, he reassures me and is my personal pep squad. But I can't be whiny and needy about it. If I get stressed he knows how to address it.

Wrangler, I think everybody has their own mix of how this works. Sometimes well-meaning convention speakers get up and imply that if every dh isn't stepping right in to help with subjects and pick things and lead and guide, then he obviously isn't doing his (spiritual, etc.) duty. My dh works 60 hours a week, comes home weary, and doesn't have time or strength then to listen to every tit for tat nuance on how I'm teaching math facts, correcting writing sprawl, pondering the progymnasta, debating methods of teaching rhetoric, or anything else. It's called DELEGATED. He brings home the bacon, I fry it. I occasionally lose my mind (as in go crazy, needing some help, any help) and ask him his opinion. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes it's not. The main thing I'm grateful for is that if he's not going to be up on everything, at least he's not then going to interject his OPINION on things. That would be a worse scenario, lol.

:)

:iagree: My DH will be helping next year with physics experiments so he has helped pick out the kits for that.

I'm the one teaching so I do the choosing.

I will discuss programs once in a while if I have 2 I like and need a tie breaker or it's a weak area for me and I need more ideas.

If I DO need his input I lay it all out for him so he can see just what I'm comparing and even present it with pros/cons. I've only done this once for math but it was helpful for both of us.

However, he DOES do lots of informal schooling with them such as nature study and problem solving. He gets them involved in fixing things and gets them to see how things affect each other. He has my oldest do the GPS on trips and announce directions BEFORE the GPS does-LOL. He's always having them do math problems for mileage. I think these "lessons" are just as important as the 3Rs.

Edited by Ann in IA

Maybe this is bugging you because you're feeling weak and want someone to buck you up or bolster your self-confidence? Maybe you can find a local homeschooler (or internet) who knows your situation and can do that for you? Not every man is going to, and the wanderings and waverings of some women are too tiresome to their men to be borne with. So I say just accept it, take the empty credit card, do your best, and move on. :)

PS. And to the dh, I say clearly she needs more backrubs, brownies, and nights out. More support. :)

No I dont hound him constantly, but when I am truly stuck with what to do I would like his assistance. I have been trying to decide between 2 math programs for my dd when she is in 8th for months now, its times like that I am talking about. I dont need his help with every decision. That would drive me nuts. There are times I really do need help though.

My dh has been extremely supportive in my curriculum obsession. He has paused his TV shows over and over again to listen to "oh...look at this!" I think he would be more than happy to just stay out of it, but because he knows my love language is quality time, he is very giving in that area. It means a lot to me when he pays attention to what I'm saying.

Now, on the other hand, when we were recently discussing switching my son's phonics instruction, he was very adamant that he wanted me to go back to SWR. I was surprised that he had such a strong opinion, but it made me feel good and now I know he listens!

He's such a good guy. :001_wub:

I am so jealous LOL

My husband absolutely is not as interested in curriculum selection as I am because he's not the one actively teaching it everyday.

However, he will step up if I need input. I was torn between MUS and Rightstart. I knew he really liked MUS (because he did take a look at all the brochures I brought home from our homeschool convention), but I thought Rightstart might be a better fit for our daughter.

He spent 20 minutes looking over both websites and concluded that either would work although he just personally liked the rods better than the abacus. When I explained I thought the math games in Rightstart might be great for our dd, he immediately agreed with me (she LOVES games).

In conclusion, I wouldn't say he's not helpful. I would say that he trusts my judgment, but is welling to step in if I need a tie breaker.

I appreciate how much work dh has to do, as he works from home and I handle the accounting end of things, but I would appreciate a little bit of interest in curriculum choices. I'm lucky if I get "uh huh". Now if I did that to him while he's elaborating on his next marketing campaign or some technical programming issues that he knows I don't understand, he gets all huffy on me.:glare: He shows the interest on my son's end of it, praising his work and having ds explain what he is learning, so he makes up for it there. I know he's not going to get excited about curriculum like I do, but I wouldn't mind being able to go to him to help me decide once in a while.

My dh is *extremely* supportive and willing to talk about overarching philosophy with me. He's not much interested in the specifics of my material choices (especially at the earlier stages -- more so as we're approaching high school work).

It's really fine. I liken it to my complete and utter lack of interest in digital cameras. He loves photography and reads boards for Leica owners and spends a great deal of time contemplating his next purchase and whether to sell off something he's not using so much and which kinds of lenses and... Yawn! I could. not. care. less. I *do* appreciate the beautiful photos he takes. :) I love that we have wonderful photos of the kids. I don't begrudge him the time and money he spends (since he would never spend more than we can afford). I trust that he's spending the money well and making good decisions. But I soooo don't want to have to hear about the process of choosing a camera or a lens. ;)

I think it's somewhat similar. :)

And that's totally okay with me.

It doesn't mean that dh isn't invested in our kids, that he doesn't care whether or not I'm doing a great job teaching the kids, that he isn't fully supportive. He is. He just trusts me to do a great job. And his interest in our kids' education is a little more global than which history book we're using this year.

So heres the question. I ask him about curriculum and he first heavily sighs.... then rolls his eyes the starts barely skimming what I give him to look at :001_huh:and when he is caught he tries to say he read it. :glare:

So ladies. Does your dh look at curriculum with you with the same intensity as you? (his question.) Or is your dh like mine :banghead: and gloss over what you are trying to get him to help you with.

Back to me.... :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Talk philosophy with him, not curriculum.

Ask him questions like, "Do you think we would do better with a program that is hands on, or has a focus on reading aloud." Don't talk about specific programs.

:D

Heather

My DH has absolute zero interest in curricula. Every now and then I speak out loud trying to decide on one curriculum vs another. He half listens, and just says, "Ok honey. Get what you'd like."

I do not expect him at all to be interested or help me decide. He's not the one doing the teaching. I am. I need to like it and I have a better idea of what will work with the kids. He doesn't expect me to help him make decisions about his job. I will listen to him talk about his day as he listens to me but that's it. I don't do his job and he doesn't do mine.

I actually like that way. No one to argue with me except myself.:D

Hmm, for the most part I make all the curriculum decisions. My dh very seldom looks through a homeschooling catalog. I keep him abreast of what we are doing/using and he makes commentary.

Most of his input has been in giving me general guidelines for what he wants taught...We tend to think alike so he trusts my judgment. Since he has only a very few things he feels strongly about, I respect his wishes on those things without question.

Mine is like this as well. Only my DH has forbidden the use of YEC materials, even for topics in science that don't really get into the whole controversy like chemistry & physics. Also he doesn't want me to use materials promoting a Providential view of history.

Occasionally, my DH will specify certain curricula that he would like me to use. But he's willing to be somewhat flexible on that if I can find a different program that also offers whatever it was that appealed to him about the first program. For example, he originally wanted me to use Singapore Math. But he was fine with Right Start after I explained that it was based on the Asian way of teaching math but easier to teach and more "hands-on". He'd also be fine with Math Mammoth if I decided to use that. But he'd veto something that was too traditional like Saxon.

My husband has no idea what we even use in our homeschooling. We've been homeschooling for over 12 years. He knows we have books and that I buy stuff every year, but that's about it. It's not that he doesn't care. He is 100% in favor of homeschooling. He just has other things to deal with and he would say that this is my job. It's actually fine with me. I'd rather make the curriculum decisions anyway, I probably wouldn't like the stuff that he'd like. :001_smile:

My husband has no idea what we even use in our homeschooling. We've been homeschooling for over 12 years. He knows we have books and that I buy stuff every year, but that's about it. It's not that he doesn't care. He is 100% in favor of homeschooling. He just has other things to deal with and he would say that this is my job. It's actually fine with me. I'd rather make the curriculum decisions anyway, I probably wouldn't like the stuff that he'd like. :001_smile:

Only 7 or 8 years here, but :iagree:

Hubby supports it and wants the best for the kids, but he doesn't know what we do. He just takes any big boxes and puts them by my desk. And he rolls his eyes at all the small animals that we call "life sciences".

he has NO OPINON about curriculum choice and I DON'T WANT HIM TO. I do the teaching, and he supports that if I need him to. "If it's not going to work for you, it's not going to work for the kids." are his exact words.

sorry, no help. He will teach anything I want him to teach the kids but doesn't insist on being part of the curriculum choosing process.