Menu

What type of car does your teenager drive?

If your teenager has her (or his) own car what does she (or he) drive?

What do you think is a safe car for a teenager?

My DD was driving a 2001 Ford Focus. I didn't like the Focus because it was squirrely on wet/snowy/icy pavement and the styling of the rearend made it difficult to see out of the rear window if the car was on an incline (like our driveway).

Edited by The Dragon Academy

A Celica. I wanted him to get an SUV to do well on the snowy dirt roads. He's wanted a Celica for MANY years now. I was a wreck about it but he's done well.

If he gets it fixed, he will be driving a 1985 Volvo Stationwagon DL. I believe those old ones still have steel in the doors - I am hoping.

If he cannot get it to run, he has his eye on a 1985 Jeep Pick-up truck.

My current car will most likely become ds' vehicle. It's a 2001 or 2002 GMC Jimmy. It's a smaller size SUV, easy to maneuver and park. We've got a few years to go but it's paid for and in good shape. He really wants an El Camino, but he'll have to save his own money for that one.

Our ds first vehicle was a Chevy truck. Probably not the safest vehicle, but I would consider it better than some.

He side-swiped a utility pole while driving through a neighborhood looking at houses and backed into an oncoming car in a parking lot with it. No major wrecks. The vehicle ended up with only minor damage and no injuries to himself.

He was also t-boned while driving our Ford F-150 truck while going through an intersection. Although the vehicle was totaled, he came out of that with only a few scrapes from the air bag and a sore head.

He owns a small compact car now. I'm not real thrilled with the safety of it since it's so small, but he is a bit older now and has some experience behind the wheel. He sold his truck and bought it to get better gas mileage.

We don't have weather here other than slick roads when it rains, so that was never a factor.

As I said in the other post, our teens never had their own car. We, the parents, had a car for them to drive. Our oldest drove a '86 Toyota Corolla, and next dd drove a '96 Toyota Tercel. They were in our name. Both of our dd's bought the cars from us on a payment plan. Not only did we not buy them cars, we only paid for the first 6 mos. car insurance; after that, it was their responsibility plus gas. Before they purchased the cars from us, we took care of maintenance. I have never believed parents 'owe' or are 'responsible' for buying a car for their teen to drive. When our next one is old enough, we will provide one for her to drive.

I guess we sound mean and nasty, but financial responsibility is very important to us. It was the way my dh and I were both raised. So far, both our older girls are extremely prudent and responsible with money. Plus, they really appreciate those cars.

I am in no way saying this is the only way to raise responsible children. It's just our way.

As I said in the other post, our teens never had their own car. We, the parents, had a car for them to drive. Our oldest drove a '86 Toyota Corolla, and next dd drove a '96 Toyota Tercel. They were in our name. Both of our dd's bought the cars from us on a payment plan. Not only did we not buy them cars... When our next one is old enough, we will provide one for her to drive.

This is where I am confused. What is the difference between buying a car for a teenager and providing one for her use? Were you driving these cars as well or did you have your own vehicle?

Any car we buy will be in our name but will be used by our DD.

As I said in the other post, our teens never had their own car. We, the parents, had a car for them to drive. Our oldest drove a '86 Toyota Corolla, and next dd drove a '96 Toyota Tercel. They were in our name. Both of our dd's bought the cars from us on a payment plan. Not only did we not buy them cars, we only paid for the first 6 mos. car insurance; after that, it was their responsibility plus gas. Before they purchased the cars from us, we took care of maintenance. I have never believed parents 'owe' or are 'responsible' for buying a car for their teen to drive. When our next one is old enough, we will provide one for her to drive.

I guess we sound mean and nasty, but financial responsibility is very important to us. It was the way my dh and I were both raised. So far, both our older girls are extremely prudent and responsible with money. Plus, they really appreciate those cars.

I am in no way saying this is the only way to raise responsible children. It's just our way.

FWIW, I agree with you 100%. Ds used his own money. He has been saving since a little kid, and my father gave him the option of using some money set aside for college to get a car. We sat on it for a few years, and he bought the car at 17 out of his OWN money. He pays the insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc. The deal is - one ticket and the car gets taken off the road because his insurance will sky rocket. Of course next year he'll need it for college, so that won't be an option then. BUT, he still is 100% responsible for the car. I think it's a great way to teach responsibility. He also is responsible for his cell phone and unlimited texts. He's saved half the money he's made from work, so he's doing well. He doesn't spend much outside of his bills.

My oldest drove a 10 year old Ford Contour with 100,000 miles on it for the first two years of her driving life. It was given to us for free by my SIL, but it finally bit the dust in December.

So we bought her a brand new 2010 Ford Focus for Christmas...and she loves it!! We got a great deal on it because it was a stick shift (the only one on the lot that was). Of course, she had to have her Dad drive it home from the dealership and teach her how to drive it! It took her a day or two, but now she adores it!

For her, driving is essential, as she's commuting 45 miles each way to college, and she does it 2-3 days a week. She has to have her own car.

She drives a Toyota Avalon. But it's more like a left over car that we bought for dh years ago. I think ds was 2 or 3 when we bought it used. (DS is now 9.) We bought dh a truck and just held onto the Avalon for a few years. Now it's getting driven regularly. DD only has her permit now but this is the car that will be "hers" when she has her license. Until such a time as dh or I need it. And then it will be shared with her sister when middle child starts driving.

My oldest turns 16 this summer. We are planning to buy a car that the three kids will share until the youngest leaves home, so for the next 6 years or so. We haven't made a decision on what type yet, but have found this article helpful as we make a decision.

Choosing the Safest Car for Your Teen Driver

Size, Power and High-Tech Features Make the Difference

By Jayne O'Donnell, Contributor

Email

Sure, they're more likely to wreck the family car than any other member of your brood, but that's precisely why the teen drivers in the house need to be driving the safest car, which likely means a newer model.

What?!? It may seem counterintuitive, not to mention costly, but the argument for the "good" car going to the teen driver makes the most safety sense.

"If parents can afford a new vehicle, they should get one because newer vehicles tend to be safer in terms of crashworthiness and they're more likely to have important safety equipment such as side airbags," said Anne McCartt, senior vice president for research at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

After all, teen drivers are far more likely to have a fatal crash than adults. When they do crash, they are the most likely to have single-vehicle, run-off-the-road crashes, which often involve rollovers. That means they're the ones who really need stability control and side curtain airbags.

"Vehicle choice does matter," said J. Peter Kissinger, president and CEO of the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. "So discuss it in a serious way. Use it as another means to have a conversation with your teen."

Of course, this doesn't mean we're suggesting you hand over the keys to the BMW 7 Series or the Range Rover either. When it comes to the safest cars, there are three key things to consider for your teen driver.

Size Means Safety

It's true for all of us. It's especially true for young people, though — a mid- or larger-size car could be the difference between life and death in a crash.

"Don't buy the argument that you need something highly maneuverable and small," says Kissinger. "You simply don't have the skills to do that when you're a teenager."

Besides, there's no evidence that small cars make up in agility what they lack in size. You don't have to look any further than the April IIHS report on driver death rates for proof. The list of 16 models with the highest rates includes 11 small cars.

Former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) chief Jeffrey Runge, a former emergency room physician, recommended vehicles weighing at least 3,300 pounds for teen drivers. That rules out compact cars and most small models and is a good general rule when choosing what class of vehicle to shop in. Some good choices for teen drivers, like some versions of the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, weigh in slightly under 3,300 but still shouldn't be ruled out.

Keep in mind that even a small car that earns five stars in most crash tests is only being judged in how well it protects in a crash with a similar-size vehicle. "A bigger vehicle protects in any type of crash," says McCartt. "The mantra for teens is big and boring."

State Farm Insurance has found that more than a third of teen drivers are in subcompact or compact cars and that drivers 20 or older were only half as likely to be in these very small vehicles. That's a mistake, says Kissinger. "You want a car that isn't so small they're going to automatically lose if they get into a crash, especially if they hit a larger vehicle."

Big, yes, but SUVs are generally not a good idea for teens, most safety experts say. Although these light trucks have low death rates as a group, they can also be difficult for anyone to handle in emergencies — they are required to carry a label on the visor warning that "abrupt maneuvers" should be avoided. "As a general rule I don't think SUVs are a great idea when learning to drive — and certainly not an older SUV that doesn't have ESC (electronic stability control) and tends to roll over," says Kissinger.

Speed Does Kill

All of that could suggest to some that the Big Bimmer would be perfect. Not so fast. The second key to choosing the right car is remembering that a lot of horsepower can be a deadly temptation for a teen. Teens are the most likely to take risks behind the wheel so the last thing a car should do is encourage more risk-taking.

"If you have a choice, choose one that has less power than a sporty version," says Kissinger. Indeed, the IIHS's recent report on vehicle death rates not only found that small cars had the highest death toll, it found that among small cars, sporty cars had the highest death toll. Three sports cars — including the Ford Mustang — and several sporty cars, including the Acura RSX and Pontiac Sunfire, were on the list.

AAA recommends parents rule out both the quickest and slowest vehicle as unsafe - the latter could actually cause problems by being too pokey during lane changes or highway merges. Jack Peet, manager of community safety services for AAA Michigan, says vehicles that accelerate from zero to 60 mph in anywhere from eight to 11 seconds are safe bets for teens. Many car lovers will find that anathema to everything they stand for, but it's not a bad rule of thumb. Hey, a four-cylinder Toyota Camry will still get them where they're going!

"In the old days it was pretty easy: Everybody recommended getting a 240 Volvo," says Kissinger. "Now there are a lot more choices, but you still want a run-of-the-mill boring car — which is a problem, because that's not what teens want to drive."

Crashworthiness and Crash Avoidance

As when choosing any car, it's wise to check crash tests scores from the government and the IIHS. Go to the Edmunds Car Safety Guide to find the NHTSA's crash test results and check the IIHS site for its ratings and recommendations. As for equipment, getting a car equipped with driver and passenger airbags and antilock brakes should go without saying. Side airbags and side curtain airbags — which deploy down from the roof rail to protect the head — are highly recommended. And stability control, which becomes mandatory on all passenger vehicles by 2012, would be the best bet of all. It will help teen drivers avoid crashes, kicking in with braking and engine power if the system senses the driver is losing control of the vehicle — a highly likely scenario.

If there's still money in your teen car budget after all of this, it pays to consider some of the more advanced crash-avoidance technologies showing up on new models. Check out, in particular, the emergency brake assist, lane departure and blind spot warnings mentioned in "Top 10 High-Tech Car Safety Technologies."

While it's common to seek out a used car for a teen driver, keep in mind that a vehicle more than three or four years old is pretty unlikely to have the latest safety equipment. Only in the last three years have many non-luxury cars had stability control or side airbags available. But if you're lucky enough to find an affordable slightly older model with the right features, go for it.

When it comes to car shopping for a teen driver, Kellerman sums it up well: "If you can't afford the safest car, buy the safest car you can afford."

Below are links to all of the installments in this series.

Part I: How To Crashproof Your Teenager

Part II: Laying Down the Law for Your Teen Driver

Part III: Finding a Driver's Ed Program That Really Works

Part IV: Choosing the Safest Car for Your Teen

Part V: How To Keep Tabs on Your Teen Driver

Jayne O'Donnell is an auto writer at USA Today and specializes in car safety.

When dd is old enough to drive, she'll either have her father's '07 Fusion or my '08 Scion. Of course, she's only 12, so we have a while. My car is significantly cuter ;), but his might be safer, as it's a larger car.

MY first car was a 1973 Pontiac Catalina (which held me and 7 of my closest friends, had a huge engine and could smear any 'stang on the boulevard on a Saturday night. Not that I'd know. Much.)

My daughter bought herself a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. She had been looking at smaller cars, but we didn't like how they handled. She probably drives my Sonata just as often, if not more, than her car at this point though.

I don't even want to think about my son driving! He's taking driver's ed in the summer, but we don't plan on him getting his license before 17 (at very least). He'll get a car when he can pay for it.

Edited by 2J5M9K

This is where I am confused. What is the difference between buying a car for a teenager and providing one for her use? Were you driving these cars as well or did you have your own vehicle?

Any car we buy will be in our name but will be used by our DD.

Then I misunderstood you. Mea culpa. When you said, "buy your teen a car", I took it to mean you were giving them a car. The first car my oldest drove was the car I used to run errands. When she got her license, it's the car she usually used and we bought the next car. That eventually became the one our 2nd dd used. So while they usually drove them, they had to always ask, and sometimes we needed them, so they weren't always available. It was more like - you can drive this car as long I don't need it, but don't assume it will always be available for you. This is what urged them on to purchase the cars from us.

Then I misunderstood you. Mea culpa. When you said, "buy your teen a car", I took it to mean you were giving them a car. The first car my oldest drove was the car I used to run errands. When she got her license, it's the car she usually used and we bought the next car. That eventually became the one our 2nd dd used. So while they usually drove them, they had to always ask, and sometimes we needed them, so they weren't always available. It was more like - you can drive this car as long I don't need it, but don't assume it will always be available for you. This is what urged them on to purchase the cars from us.

Okay, we are thinking along the same lines then. I should have explained it better. The car DD totaled was my Focus (150,000+ miles) that I passed along when my mom gave me an older Pontiac with 60,000 miles.

Ds15 will be driving a newer Honda Civic or a VW TDI Golf/Rabbit or Jetta. We haven't bought it yet but will have it bought by the time he starts college in the fall. We are starting to look. It will be a 3rd family car, so we retain the authority over where and when he can drive it.

The parking spots at the college are really small and I have a hard time parking my Accord in some of the spots. He will need a smaller car to be able to navigate the parking lot.

We also will be looking for a combination of safety features and gas mileage in the 30+ range.

He is learning to drive on my automatic Accord and dad's VW Golf stick shift.

Consumer reports and other reviews, etc. very helpful.

Very important to also have airbags! I don't want to be so conservative or frugal that we get too old of a bomb without airbags.

We are VW enthusiasts because my husband and son know how to fix them without making a career out of it.

You can get BMWs and Benzes a lot LOT cheaper used, and still get airbags.

My 17yo mostly drives our 12yo full-sized van. She occasionally drives my dh's 1yo Honda Fit, but he doesn't want her driving his car without one of us supervising, so she only gets to drive it when I'm in the car with her.

She takes the van to her cc class every day. She has also driven her 14yo sister to tumbling class and has gone to Target to run an errand for me. She has only had her license for 3.5 months.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

My brother and DS1 are looking for a pickup truck that is old enough so my brother can teach DS1 how to work on it himself.

I hope old = cheap. I hope old = safe. Otherwise, DS1 will have to drive our cars, when they are available.

He needs an SUV or pickup to get around in the winter. DH's large sedan was parked all winter because it couldn't make it up the driveway most of the time, and spun out on the ice-covered rural roads.

I'd rather just give him my old SUV, but we can't afford to replace it. I want a new, large, pickup truck. Just because.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to the boys running errands and playing chauffeur.

Edited by RoughCollie

Where do you live? Used BMWs and Mercedes are very expensive in our area.

What age of a car are you talking about?

Most recent memory: 98 Benz for $5500.

Benz 97 C280 for $3700. 166kmiles.

I live in the Dallas Fort Worth AREA. I know that some people will price autos in other areas and fly to pick them up. A friend did that for a lincoln suv over a 1000 miles away.

bmw 95 318is for $1700.

for $5999 audi a8 loaded 1997.

And you can check craigslist, auto trader, cars.com.

These cars seem a lot cheaper than American cars, same year.

I can't explain it.

Good luck :auto:

My brother (in Maryland), auto mechanic extraordinare (sp), got a really nice 99 audi a4 because it needed so much work, the owner wasn't going to pay so much for labor, so he got it for $1000! My bro put a couple thousand into it, that's the beauty of knowing how to work on a car and having access to the tools.

Sometimes auto repair places have so many cars sitting around because the owner couldn't afford the labor and had to leave it sitting.

Most recent memory: 98 Benz for $5500.

Benz 97 C280 for $3700. 166kmiles.

I live in the Dallas Fort Worth AREA. I know that some people will price autos in other areas and fly to pick them up. A friend did that for a lincoln suv over a 1000 miles away.

bmw 95 318is for $1700.

for $5999 audi a8 loaded 1997.

Sometimes auto repair places have so many cars sitting around because the owner couldn't afford the labor and had to leave it sitting.

That's the problem with cars. You might be able to afford the purchase but if you cannot afford the maintenance then why get something fancy?

Most people who own high end vehicles in our area travel to get the maintenance and repair work done. Not a feasible endeavor for an average family like us.

I guess we sound mean and nasty, but financial responsibility is very important to us.

I can see that, but I fail to see how this is relevant to the OP's question which was what kind of car does the teenager drive, not what kind did the parent buy for the teenager. The OP stated, "If your teenager has her (or his) own car what does she (or he) drive?"

Your note is just inciting a heated debate. :(

To the OP: my dd17 will be car shopping within the next month. She's hoping for a Volkswagon Jetta. If we can't get that one, we still plan to stick with a small sedan. I just want her car to get good gas mileage. Her friend has a big SUV that gets 15 mpg and thinks no one can do better than that. :confused:

I can see that, but I fail to see how this is relevant to the OP's question which was what kind of car does the teenager drive, not what kind did the parent buy for the teenager. The OP stated, "If your teenager has her (or his) own car what does she (or he) drive?"

Thanks for your thoughtfulness in trying to stop a debate. Her comment ties in to my other thread about a Mustang we were thinking about buying. I understood where she was coming from...I hope others reading it will extend grace and realize this comment might seem odd as a stand alone post but when taken in concert with the other thread it makes perfect sense.

my dd17 will be car shopping within the next month. She's hoping for a Volkswagon Jetta. If we can't get that one, we still plan to stick with a small sedan. I just want her car to get good gas mileage. Her friend has a big SUV that gets 15 mpg and thinks no one can do better than that. :confused:

I have always wondered how teenagers can afford to drive those gas guzzling SUVs.

I hope your DD can get the Jetta. I absolutely adore VWs.

To the OP: my dd17 will be car shopping within the next month. She's hoping for a Volkswagon Jetta. If we can't get that one, we still plan to stick with a small sedan. I just want her car to get good gas mileage. Her friend has a big SUV that gets 15 mpg and thinks no one can do better than that. :confused:

I had replied to the OP in her other thread and was following up with those thoughts - explaining why I answered the way I did in her other thread. I detest debate, but sometimes no matter what one writes someone else is going to see it as an opening for argument.

I think the OP and I understood each other. We might disagree, but that's fine by me.

And while I'm at, let me apologize if I sounded snarky or itching for a debate.

Edited by Ishki

Dragon Academy: I wondered about high end cars' issues as well, but my husband, bro, bro-in-laws and other foreign car mechanics I have known for a long time say that these cars (bmw, vw, audi, mercedes) last a long time because they are well built and don't usually have major issues that will nickle and dime ya t'death. The interiors will hold up better than most vehicles. We have put more money into our gas guzzling piece of ford van than our vw buggy and son's vw golf gti.

I love Subaru and VW too. Our next driver has his eye on a Jeep Cherokee. There are forums for car repair too!

Safety, gas mileage...and an automatic. :001_smile:

Manual transmissions when listening to loud music...in my personal opinion can make a person drive too FAST.:glare:

Well, I don't have my first teenager yet, but I just bought my neice her first car. A 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback. It's the 4-cyl engine with a 5-spd stick. They're super easy to work on, which is why we bought it. My DH gets to be her "shade-tree mechanic".

My husband 'gave' our eldest his 1989 Ford F150. He is currently looking for a used Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic/Accord which he will buy.

He turns 20 this month and needs transportation for work, college and fun. :)

Edited by nestof3

Guest Katia

Our teens don't drive. Period.

Insurance is way to expensive, so we wait until they are legal adults (18) and then they can get a drivers license, insurance is then affordable and they have to pay it if they want to drive our cars. However, they are more than welcome to purchase their own :D.

Our teens don't drive. Period.

Insurance is way to expensive, so we wait until they are legal adults (18) and then they can get a drivers license, insurance is then affordable and they have to pay it if they want to drive our cars. However, they are more than welcome to purchase their own :D.

:iagree:

Bike. Public transport.

It helps that people aren't allowed to get a license until 18 where we live...

a

We bought our almost 17yo ds a 1998 Ford F150 extended cab on April 1st (dh's birthday-happy birthday,Dad:D:D) My Dad purchased my older children a car when they were 16 (they are 30 and 28 now). Dad has long since retired, but I'm just blessed that he helped the older two:).

Ds will pay gas and half of insurance just as his older siblings did.

DD is 15 but won't get a car until she is 17.

Yup, BTDT. But there's nothing like cruising to good music in a fun car. I find I tend to speed in an automatic when a good song is on the radio.

H2 with a V8 has great pick up - one can go really fast in no time at all and not even realize it. It's like sitting in your living room with great music and the world going by. :auto:

:lol::driving:

H2 with a V8 has great pick up - one can go really fast in no time at all and not even realize it. It's like sitting in your living room with great music and the world going by. :auto:

:lol::driving:

I am curious, dearest Big Penguin, are you planning on buying Hummers for your DC when they are old enough to drive? They will be classics by then if no one decides to carry on production.

I am curious, dearest Big Penguin, are you planning on buying Hummers for your DC when they are old enough to drive? They will be classics by then if no one decides to carry on production.

Having already had two dc go through the 'learning to drive' adventure, yes I would put my kids in whatever most closely resembled a TANK!

I've been following the Hummer saga, and sadly, I don't think they will be in production anymore. My lease on the H2 is up in May or June

(not sure which) so the H2 is going back - we would buy it, but GMAC (are they the stupidest people on the planet?) says we have to turn it back into them FIRST, and then it has to be shipped someplace, and THEN in about 6-8 weeks, we can buy it - but it might not be the one that we had. Well, I LIKE the one that we have -- never a problem with it, IT is the one I want back - but they cannot guarantee it. Is it any wonder GMAC is in such awful shape as a corporation.

DS keeps asking about buying the H2 -- we try to discourage him from bringing it up - it's depressing.:svengo: I've been driving dh's h3 so I can get used to it -- initially, it was like going from hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Cary Grant (you're too young to know who he is, aren't you?), ummmmmmmmmmmmm, Russell Crowe to Daffy Duck. You get the idea. But, after about a week or so, you forget what good old Russel is like.:glare:

(GMAC (are they the stupidest people on the planet?) says we have to turn it back into them FIRST, and then it has to be shipped someplace, and THEN in about 6-8 weeks, we can buy it - but it might not be the one that we had. Well, I LIKE the one that we have -- never a problem with it, IT is the one I want back - but they cannot guarantee it. Is it any wonder GMAC is in such awful shape as a corporation.

That is the strangest thing I have heard when it comes to selling cars. You'd think they would be happy to let you keep it.

How about:

e939cd4401851fcc compared to 51cb439fcf056476

At least these have some similarities.