Menu

Contemporary fiction: What is your favorite book??

I am entirely smitten with three British women writers: Jill Paton Walsh (Lapsing), Penelope Lively (Heat Wave), and Helen Simonson (Major Pettigrew's Last Stand). I think I probably know them each by heart after so many readings.

By the way, Penelope Lively was educated by a British correspondence course, by her nanny, in colonial Egypt. As a take on homeschooling in another time and place, it is really fascinating; she discusses it in her memoir entitled Oleander, Jacaranda.

I read very little fiction but my favorite author (no apologies) is Stephen King and my favorite book is The Stand. If I was stranded somewhere with only one fiction book, I would hope it was this one. :001_smile:

I agree with this, but if I had to choose another author it would be Orson Scott Card. I love his books.

Faithe

It's a tie between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimon.

And of course, Good Omens gives the best of both ;)

A Hat Full of Sky is our current family read-a-loud.

I agree. Terry Pratchett is one of my faves (and now my dc are hooked too; we just finished A Hat Full of Sky). Loved Good Omens. Pratchett is a fantastic author.

Terry Pratchett

Walter Moers

Kurt Vonnegut

I also have two books I've read that I love, but haven't read other things by the authors:

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

P.S. Thumbs up on Jasper Fforde too. I saw him already mentioned also.

Edited by Stacia

Yet another fiction question:). I have a lot of favorite classics, but I'm curious- who is your favorite contemporary author, and what is your favorite book??

The Middle Ground by Margaret Drabble (who used to married to "Richard" in Keeping Up Appearances). But, I haven't read very much contemporary fiction.

I loved Life of Pi as well. I'm a big fan of Anne Tyler; I think she's usually very good and sometimes great (Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, Accidental Tourist). I love Bobbie Ann Mason and Peter Taylor for short stories (Mason has a couple of novels, too). Snow Falling on Cedars is great and Middlesex.

Well, my fiction tastes are not very "high brow". I like the redemption series by Karen Kingsbury. Pretense by Lori Wick is an old favorite. The dragon rider series by Anne McCaffrey. Some of the older books by Jeffery Archer were good, especially First Among Equals. Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series was very captivating.

That's hard to choose just one....

One of my absolute favorites is Barbara Kingsolver. I loved The Poisonwood Bible. That is up there with one of my all time favorite books.

Me, too! I also loved her book Animal, Vegetable, Mineral on the non-fiction side of things...