Menu

"I'm a atheist; I don't believe in homeschooling."

That is the comment I heard tonight at work when one of my coworkers excitedly told another coworker that I homeschool.

I responded with, "What does atheism have to do with homeschooling?" He replied, "Well, the only people who homeschool are those freaky fundamental people who say, 'Oh! 2 + 2=4 because God said so!'"

I said, "Do you truly think there are no other homeschoolers besides Christian ones?"

He said, "Well, I've not heard of any."

I said, "Congratulations! Now you have! I can tell you with confidence that there are indeed atheist homeschoolers. Do a google." And I smiled sweetly.

The other coworker, who works 3rd shift and wants to homeschool her kids, was undaunted by his opinions and was very excited to learn about how to go about it in our state.

The whole exchange made me laugh.

LOL! You could just send him here! Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans, Wiccans, B'hai, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and every form of Christianity you can imagine...and I'm certain there are others that I just can't think of at the moment. Sheesh...talk about an ignorant comment!

LOL! You could just send him here! Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans, Wiccans, B'hai, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and every form of Christianity you can imagine...and I'm certain there are others that I just can't think of at the moment. Sheesh...talk about an ignorant comment!

I know. How do you even address it seriously? I considered suggesting that his lack of logic could be attributed to the fact he attended public schools, but, doggone it all, it was time to clock out and go home. Maybe next time. :lol:

"Well, the only people who homeschool are those freaky fundamental people who say, 'Oh! 2 + 2=4 because God said so!'"

So I am a freaky fundy huh? Wow, I had no idea. :001_huh: Learn something new everyday. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: :lol: Some people.

That is the comment I heard tonight at work when one of my coworkers excitedly told another coworker that I homeschool.

I responded with, "What does atheism have to do with homeschooling?" He replied, "Well, the only people who homeschool are those freaky fundamental people who say, 'Oh! 2 + 2=4 because God said so!'"

I said, "Do you truly think there are no other homeschoolers besides Christian ones?"

He said, "Well, I've not heard of any."

I said, "Congratulations! Now you have! I can tell you with confidence that there are indeed atheist homeschoolers. Do a google." And I smiled sweetly.

The other coworker, who works 3rd shift and wants to homeschool her kids, was undaunted by his opinions and was very excited to learn about how to go about it in our state.

It sounds funny, but it is true that the vast majority of the non-homeschooling public thinks all homeschoolers are fundies.

Unfortunately. :glare:

It sounds funny, but it is true that the vast majority of the non-homeschooling public thinks all homeschoolers are fundies.

'Tis true...and I held that belief until about 6 months into homeschooling when I discovered there are real life homeschoolers who are not like the ones in my local groups. When people find out I homeschool, they automatically assume I am at least Christian, if not "freaky fundamental." I have learned that "we homeschool for academic reasons" is kinda code for "I may not be what you think I am."

'Tis true...and I held that belief until about 6 months into homeschooling when I discovered there are real life homeschoolers who are not like the ones in my local groups. When people find out I homeschool, they automatically assume I am at least Christian, if not "freaky fundamental." I have learned that "we homeschool for academic reasons" is kinda code for "I may not be what you think I am."

Around here, that is the code people listen for to exclude people like us. I am SO ready to move...

a

I responded with, "What does atheism have to do with homeschooling?" He replied, "Well, the only people who homeschool are those freaky fundamental people who say, 'Oh! 2 + 2=4 because God said so!"

:D Thank you for starting my day with a giggle. :D

I have run across people who assume we are conservative Christian because we homeschool (especially when they hear we had 5 kids in 7 years! :lol: )

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

Yes, that was assumed at the pediatrician's office yesterday. When she learned my oldest was going off to public high school next year, she started warning me about all the "secular" influences she will be exposed to, like PG 13 movies. The girls and I just started laughing. :lol:

I have run across people who assume we are conservative Christian because we homeschool (especially when they hear we had 5 kids in 7 years! :lol: )

It also doesn't help that (although I only have one kid) I *look* like what I think of as the stereotypical (note that I didn't say it was accurate) picture of a conservative homeschooler----long gray hair in a ponytail, wear long skirts all the time---usually denim, tennis shoes with socks......I have even owned a denim jumper in the past <G>.

It also doesn't help that (although I only have one kid) I *look* like what I think of as the stereotypical (note that I didn't say it was accurate) picture of a conservative homeschooler----long gray hair in a ponytail, wear long skirts all the time---usually denim, tennis shoes with socks......I have even owned a denim jumper in the past <G>.

:lol:

I look pretty stereotypical too. Looks can be massively deceiving.

I'm a Christian, but far from a fundy. Unfortunately, it seems like most, though not quite all, of the homeschoolers I encounter around here are stereotypical. They're nice friends, and my kids socialize with theirs, but a lot of assumptions are made. I have to sigh, but I do understand where the stereotype comes from, especially in people who have no reason to really be exposed to the homeschooling culture.

I admit, I do want people to know that I don't hs for religious reasons. Fortunately, there are lots of hippies/organic chickies hsing here, so I often like to be taken for one of them....except they are so young and young. lol I wear my peace sign earrings most of the time. (Not that religious people are not for peace, of course. ;))

I'm a Christian, but far from a fundy. Unfortunately, it seems like most, though not quite all, of the homeschoolers I encounter around here are stereotypical. They're nice friends, and my kids socialize with theirs, but a lot of assumptions are made. I have to sigh, but I do understand where the stereotype comes from, especially in people who have no reason to really be exposed to the homeschooling culture.

Being a from a very liberal northern area, and having attended college in Boston, I didn't believe the stereotypes of hsing fundies...I never met one, and they seemed so exaggerated they couldn't possibly be true. Hsers I knew were all of the John Holt /Mothering Magazine/Waldorf variety. Since coming here, I am amazed at how correct some of the stereotypes are, including spankers, and young earthers. (I don't know anyone irl who currently spanks, fi, or would admit to it) I really had no idea. For much of my life, 'Darwin as devil' etc existed only in the old movie, Inherit the Wind. I would still be thinking that without this board. Even the northern Baptists at my mother's church wouldn't cut the mustard, I don't think.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, that was assumed at the pediatrician's office yesterday. When she learned my oldest was going off to public high school next year, she started warning me about all the "secular" influences she will be exposed to, like PG 13 movies. The girls and I just started laughing. :lol:

You'd better watch out for those PG 13 movies, Jenny. :lol:

The first homeschoolers I met were all unschooling hippies from my LLL group. I never started the association in my own head of homeschooling with fundamentalists, and I am always a little taken aback when people assume we are just because we homeschool. In fact, when we were leaving the parish school to homeschool, I actually had someone say to me, "Oh, so you're not going to be Catholic anymore?" LOL. Um, no.

The first homeschoolers I met were all unschooling hippies from my LLL group. I never started the association in my own head of homeschooling with fundamentalists, and I am always a little taken aback when people assume we are just because we homeschool. In fact, when we were leaving the parish school to homeschool, I actually had someone say to me, "Oh, so you're not going to be Catholic anymore?" LOL. Um, no.

The first thing here was the assumption that you were a hippie. Now I've had people ask "Oh, like the The Duggars?" LOL Yeah, exactly like that. ;)

Being a from a very liberal northern area, and having attended college in Boston, I didn't believe the stereotypes of hsing fundies...I never met one, and they seemed so exaggerated they couldn't possibly be true. Hsers I knew were all of the John Holt /Mothering Magazine/Waldorf variety. Since coming here, I am amazed at how correct some of the stereotypes are, including , spankers, and young earthers. (I don't know anyone irl who currently spanks, fi, or would admit to it) I really had no idea. For much of my life, 'Darwin as devil' etc existed only in the old movie, Inherit the Wind. I would still be thinking that without this board. Even the northern Baptists at my mother's church wouldn't cut the mustard, I don't think.

This has been almost exactly my experience as well (also being from the Northeast). I didn't realize fundamentalist Christianity was as prevalent as it is until I came here. Most people though assume that I'm on the hippie end of the spectrum (and I am :D- but that's not the reason I homeschool) but I do occasionally get those who assume I'm homeschooling for religious reasons. Nobody seems to ever consider the possibility that I simply was unhappy with how school was working for my children! Everybody wants to shove you in a box. :glare:

This has been almost exactly my experience as well (also being from the Northeast). I didn't realize fundamentalist Christianity was as prevalent as it is until I came here. Most people though assume that I'm on the hippie end of the spectrum (and I am :D- but that's not the reason I homeschool) but I do occasionally get those who assume I'm homeschooling for religious reasons. Nobody seems to ever consider the possibility that I simply was unhappy with how school was working for my children! Everybody wants to shove you in a box. :glare:

I do homeschool for a hippie reason...I want my children to have freedom. :D OTOH, my children are also of the 'intellectual' variety, and it's about more than just freedom. However, some of the schools here are excellent ,(Brookline, Weston etc) with fewer horror stories (I didn't say none, I said fewer) than other parts of the country. Some schools here even offer Latin. So, it can be more difficult to 'justify' hsing for only academic reasons. I have relatives in FL and I hear some ridiculous things about curriculum, or lack of. I am not saying all the schools here are great--they certainly are not-- but some of the schools here do an excellent job on the academic front. There are always a large bunch from the local high school who go to Ivy League, or other top/excellent colleges, and they do seem quite prepared.

Edited by LibraryLover

I was thinking the same thing...and let's not forget that sexual orientation has nothing to do with it either. I know irl homeschoolers with 2 mommies....

That is why i love this board. We are all here with one common thread...and a beautiful array of other threads. Truly a tapestry!

~~Faithe

I do homeschool for a hippie reason...I want my children to have freedom. :D OTOH, my children are also of the 'intellectual' variety, and it's about more than just freedom. However, some of the schools here are excellent ,(Brookline, Weston etc) with fewer horror stories (I didn't say none, I said fewer) than other parts of the country. Some schools here even offer Latin. So, it can be more difficult to 'justify' hsing for only academic reasons. I have relatives in FL and I hear some ridiculous things about curriculum, or lack of. I am not saying all the schools here are great--they certainly are not-- but some of the schools here do an excellent job on the academic front. There are always a large bunch from the local high school who go to Ivy League, or other top/excellent colleges, and they do seem quite prepared.

:iagree: Oh no doubt; there are some great schools in my area as well. Unfortunately not any that were a good match for us. So yeah, I guess it does boil down to freedom-- freedom for my kids to learn at their own pace in the learning style that best suits them. So maybe I am homeschooling for hippie reasons after all! (Dang, does this mean I have to go in the box? LOL)

Well, I am an atheist homeschooler and I don't believe in your co-worker. so, there.

:lol:

Around here, that is the code people listen for to exclude people like us. I am SO ready to move...

a

:iagree: I live right smack in the center of the Baptist bible belt so the VAST majority of homeschoolers are Christians and the majority of them seem to be EXACTLY as the co-worker believed. Most of them take their beliefs to the extreme. It is unfortunately a homechooling sterotype but it is understandable why it exists. I am a Christian and even I feel like a square peg in a round hole when I'm among other homeschoolers in my area. I am MUCH more comfortable among the secular and public school crowd than I am around other homeschoolers. At least around these parts. ;)

Can I also move wherever you move to. Please!!!:tongue_smilie:

Guest Cindie2dds
Fortunately, there are lots of hippies/organic chickies hsing here, so I often like to be taken for one of them....except they are so young and young. lol

:seeya: Well, I don't fit in anywhere. I happen to be a Christian, who is not really young, but a hippie/organic/vegan chick nonetheless. We also like fairies and fairy tales, frowned upon by the homeschool community in my area. When I tell people I use Oak Meadow, they tell me only atheists use it, so most people we come across think we are odd ~ even for homeschoolers. Actually, the one home school mom that I do things with is LDS and she doesn't fit in either. :lol:

Guest Cindie2dds
I am a Christian and even I feel like a square peg in a round hole when I'm among other homeschoolers in my area. I am MUCH more comfortable among the secular and public school crowd than I am around other homeschoolers. At least around these parts. ;)

Me too!

One thing I really appreciate about this board is that it dispels the notion of homeschooling as some isolated, religious cult behavior. We are diverse, both in our belief systems and curriculum choices. You don't have to change who you are to homeschool.

Well, I am an atheist homeschooler and I don't believe in your co-worker.

so, there.

:lol::lol:

The guy is a total jerk. Last night was my first night at working 2nd shift. He came over to my area to ask what time I was leaving because he didn't want to walk out to the parking lot alone. THEN he says, "If there are any muggers, I'll shove you in front of me and run!" I replied, "How do you know I won't do that to YOU?" :nopity:

Thankfully, he's in a different section and does different things than I do, so my exposure to him is limited. I think he slept through the whole "diversity training" we all had to go to. :001_rolleyes:

:iagree: I live right smack in the center of the Baptist bible belt so the VAST majority of homeschoolers are Christians and the majority of them seem to be EXACTLY as the co-worker believed. Most of them take their beliefs to the extreme. It is unfortunately a homechooling sterotype but it is understandable why it exists. I am a Christian and even I feel like a square peg in a round hole when I'm among other homeschoolers in my area. I am MUCH more comfortable among the secular and public school crowd than I am around other homeschoolers. At least around these parts. ;)

:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:Although I have learned to be happy here because I have discovered a group of people like me.

I have learned that "we homeschool for academic reasons" is kinda code for "I may not be what you think I am."

What does HS for academic reasons have to do with being devoutly religious or not?

I get so frustrated with the attitude I frequently encounter that intellectualism and religious faith are somehow in opposition to each other. :thumbdown:

What does HS for academic reasons have to do with being devoutly religious or not?

I get so frustrated with the attitude I frequently encounter that intellectualism and religious faith are somehow in opposition to each other. :thumbdown:

That would be because some people (not all or even most) homeschool purely for religious reasons. I want people to be clear that my kids are at home with me for educational reasons. I am providing a better education than public school could or would. I am not religious and do not want to be identified as such just because I homeschool.

Please correct him for me!:D

Because God made it so, 2+2=4. He got it a little backwards.;)

From a Christian who homeschools for (mostly) academic reasons.

Well, I'm a conservative Christian (maybe even a "fundie") but I homeschool for academic reasons. Our faith is part of our schooling because it's a part of our lives, but when I pulled my son out of PS, and then started my daughter with homeschooling, it was for academic reasons.

And, the stereotype is a drag. I don't identify with families like the Duggars (even though I find them fascinating!) I wear jeans, I wear make up, I cut my hair, I paint my toenails, I wear perfume. But I also belong to an organic food co-op, try to avoid chemicals and processed foods, plant a garden, and can what I grow. I guess I'm a hybrid. LOL