Menu

"I'm a atheist; I don't believe in homeschooling."

Well, I'm a conservative Christian (maybe even a "fundie") but I homeschool for academic reasons. Our faith is part of our schooling because it's a part of our lives, but when I pulled my son out of PS, and then started my daughter with homeschooling, it was for academic reasons.

And, the stereotype is a drag. I don't identify with families like the Duggars (even though I find them fascinating!) I wear jeans, I wear make up, I cut my hair, I paint my toenails, I wear perfume. But I also belong to an organic food co-op, try to avoid chemicals and processed foods, plant a garden, and can what I grow. I guess I'm a hybrid. LOL

A lot of us are hybrids. I started out much like the Duggars, but am now very much a "Christian hippie" as my sisters call me...basically a bohemian Orthodox and definitely homeschool for educational reasons.

What does HS for academic reasons have to do with being devoutly religious or not?

It doesn't; I think that's kind of the point. I am devoutly religious, but my main reasons for homeschooling are not religious ones. I homeschool because classical education grabbed me and wouldn't let go. :) So, one may indeed be religious, but not the stereotypical "evangelical opposed to public school and hs'ing for religious reasons." (Not that I'm opposed to that; but it's awkward when people assume I'm evangelical-- I am, in fact, LDS.)

I get so frustrated with the attitude I frequently encounter that intellectualism and religious faith are somehow in opposition to each other. :thumbdown:

:iagree: Most certainly.

What does HS for academic reasons have to do with being devoutly religious or not?

I get so frustrated with the attitude I frequently encounter that intellectualism and religious faith are somehow in opposition to each other. :thumbdown:

Exactly. I am devoutly religious. Right now, I homeschool for 100% academic reasons. I'd do our religious family study together regardless of home or public school.

Exactly. I am devoutly religious. Right now, I homeschool for 100% academic reasons. I'd do our religious family study together regardless of home or public school.

This isn't directed at you, but just got me to thinking that many of the people I know pulled their children out of school because of the secular, un-Godly ideas, according to them, that were being taught. Academics are very important to them, but even if the academics were in place, they would still be homeschooling because of how they perceive the secular school atmosphere. I would consider them to be homeschooling for primarily religious reasons.

This isn't directed at you, but just got me to thinking that many of the people I know pulled their children out of school because of the secular, un-Godly ideas, according to them, that were being taught. Academics are very important to them, but even if the academics were in place, they would still be homeschooling because of how they perceive the secular school atmosphere. I would consider them to be homeschooling for primarily religious reasons.

I would also consider that to be homeschooling for religious reasons. And many people do that and love it. However, not all religious people are homeschooling just or mainly for that reason. (They will have to learn how to face and deal with the real world at some point--I can't insulate them forever!! And I shouldn't even if I could. That is *not* our reason for homeschooling at all at this point.)

I have more of an issue with NCLB, teaching-the-test for standardized tests (which happens here even at the charter schools, per a crunchy friend who is in fact a teacher at the charter school), the lack of accommodation for gifted students, busy work, lack of supervision, dd's VSL learning style, her sister's sensory issues and kinesthetic learning style, etc, etc. :)

Well, I'm a conservative Christian (maybe even a "fundie") but I homeschool for academic reasons. Our faith is part of our schooling because it's a part of our lives, but when I pulled my son out of PS, and then started my daughter with homeschooling, it was for academic reasons.

And, the stereotype is a drag. I don't identify with families like the Duggars (even though I find them fascinating!) I wear jeans, I wear make up, I cut my hair, I paint my toenails, I wear perfume. But I also belong to an organic food co-op, try to avoid chemicals and processed foods, plant a garden, and can what I grow. I guess I'm a hybrid. LOL

Just using your post as a jumping off point - I hope you don't mind!

I truly didn't mean to insult anyone with my quote stating I use "academic reasons" as a code. I am fully aware that there are many religious people who homeschool for academic reasons. That just happens not to be the case for the majority of homeschoolers in my area. Perhaps if I lived in a different area, I would have to use a different "code phrase" or go ahead and get that sign.:) Or it may very well be that the religious homeschoolers are also avoiding the groups I'm avoiding so I've never met them (although I have met a lot of homeschoolers in my area at the pool, bowling alley, parks, etc., and all (with two exceptions) were what I would consider to be fundamental christians).

We are all wonderfully complex and I truly wish I could find a group that would accept me without making it clear that they think my salvation is at risk because I believe the earth is over a certain number of years old, or that my children's will suffer for eternity because we don't go to church. Or even a group filled with people who had such thoughts but had the common decency to keep their thoughts to themselves.

You may not Jean, but the poster to whom I responded (Rebecca) does.

We can try to ignore the elephant-in-the room, but....

Bill

And Bill, you NEVER question or laugh about ANYTHING in your kids school books?? Oh, come on...anytime something strikes us as OUT THERE...we talk about it...and laugh...or argue (sometimes my kids ...gasp....disagree with me! :svengo: )

I use CLE, not because I agree with all of their doctrine, (I have never been accused of being a pacifist :tongue_smilie:) but because it is a thorough curriculum that covers the material I want to cover. I also use secular texts...especially in history....and I can tell you, we have loads of "discussions" on those books.

Just because it may say 2+2 is 4 because God says so...as well as when it says that there was a huge explosion and millions of years passed and poof here we are! because scientists say so, doesn't mean I don't ask my kids...so guys...what do ya think? And...can you prove it?

Oh, and I am a Christian...but I homeschool for hippy reasons as well as religious AND academic reasons.....and NO, I do not raise my kiddoes like mushrooms...LOL!

And that guy who works with Michelle is probably a moron, but then again, maybe he just doesn't know and needs some edjumacation. :D

And that guy who works with Michelle is probably a moron, but then again, maybe he just doesn't know and needs some edjumacation. :D

I'm going with "moron" but I'm willing to hope he just makes a bad first impression. We'll see what gems he spews forth tonight. :lol: