Menu

Interesting article on homeschooling curriculum choices

I came on just to post this! You beat me to it. Yes, I do feel under-represented in the homeschool science department. I would love something out there to address an old-earth/ theistic evolution viewpoint. I won't hold my breath:glare:.

My 17 yos (12th grade) did Apologia Bio and Human Anatomy - then took college Bio and Human Anatomy and earned A's in both classes. For us, Apologia has been an excellent (preparatory) curriculum.

I like the way Dr. Wile introduces different perspectives - especially since it is NOT just two camps - there are different and combined theories also.

I have to say though that the biggest problem I have had with curricula is finding ones that don't turn every subject into a bible study. That is not what I am looking for - for my family.

Again, we have HSLDA as the voice of homeschooling. :glare:

What this doesn't take into account is that many homeschoolers buy from regular secular publishers such as Pearson. You can buy the Miller Levine books on Amazon, you don't need to buy them from a curriculum dealer. That's why they cannot track numbers.

Again, we have HSLDA as the voice of homeschooling. :glare:

What this doesn't take into account is that many homeschoolers buy from regular secular publishers such as Pearson. You can buy the Miller Levine books on Amazon, you don't need to buy them from a curriculum dealer. That's why they cannot track numbers.

:iagree: Also, the millions spent on used curricula! :iagree:

Edited by 5KidzRUs

Can I ask if there is trouble finding textbooks sold strictly to homeschoolers? Are public school textbooks not available for purchase? If I were looking for secular texts, I would think that would be a good option.

I know for me, as a Christian, textbooks from Christian publishers are the ONLY place I can find science taught from this perspective. Every library book and museum is filled with evolution, so many times I feel left out of the public realm.

Can I ask if there is trouble finding textbooks sold strictly to homeschoolers? Are public school textbooks not available for purchase? If I were looking for secular texts, I would think that would be a good option.

Many school publishers will not sell to private individuals because of cheating issues.

I also wish there were better (and more) science texts for us (not YE, obviously).

However, I disagree with the article. Fact is that I could use Apologia's Biology simply by skipping one module

and rolling my eyes a few times. That isn't ideal but we would have to do similarly in ANY curriculum. But there

is enough good science in Apologia's books to allow kids to test out of college level classes. Students using

Apologia aren't any worse off according to the test.

Also, for MANY students, they do get both sides of the story, even if it is just to debunk someone else's belief.

But I still would like to see, before my grandchildren are homeschool age, some better options. I figure

my kids won't be having babies for a few years yet and then those babies have to grow up a little. So 15-20

years? Is that long enough for awesome curricula to be created for those of us that want more and better?

I know for me, as a Christian, textbooks from Christian publishers are the ONLY place I can find science taught from this perspective. Every library book and museum is filled with evolution, so many times I feel left out of the public realm.

Yes, books teaching creation are very underrepresented in most bookstores, museums and libraries. I suppose the one worldview is underrepresented in one realm and the other worldview in another realm.

I have to agree there. The only place we can get a Christian view on science is if we buy from the Christian publishers. We can go to a library and find lots of books that include evolution in them. You won't find many, if at all any, books that talk about Creationism.

I think they must be using old data, or no data, or willfully ignoring the rest of the world.

That said, I don't think the scientific world has anything to gain from engaging in bashing of BJU and Abeka. Criticism gives the publishers a legitimacy that is undeserved. Science and faith are not "done" in the same way-notice how Jay Wile points out how "evolutionist" scientists debate the validity of some points? To scientists, this is expected-it's the scientific method. Turning peer review into a liability is the ultimate in faith-based "science"! What religious textbook publishers do, in providing their buyers with enough information to refute evolution, is short sighted in the end. There's no way to answer their arguments, because they are not based on science, but on faith. So why bother? Scientists will continue to do what they do, inquiry based on data, guided by reproducible results. In the end, the success or failure of these publishers will be in the marketplace, like any other business. Science resources for non-creationist parent-teachers are out there, as one poster pointed out, they are everywhere, in museums, libraries and on TV and the net. Tapping into them is more work than buying a textbook, though.

I have looked at public school science textbooks and I don't think they're very good. I look and them and see one more reason why I homeschool. I have only looked at textbooks for the elementary level, so perhaps the upper level books are better, but I am not betting on it.

I homeschool in large part because I don't think the public schools provide a very good education, so using their materials doesn't make much sense. Yes I could use them just as a base and add whatever was needed to create a better curriculum, but I'm a busy lady and would rather pay someone to do that for me.

I have to agree there. The only place we can get a Christian view on science is if we buy from the Christian publishers. We can go to a library and find lots of books that include evolution in them. You won't find many, if at all any, books that talk about Creationism.

May I ask that you consider thinking as it as your specific view of christianity. Many, many christians do not find any problem reconciling evolution and christian belief. It is stunning to me that this statement is one of many made here that assumes christian belief is limited to literal interpretations of the Bible. In fact I have been a Catholic Christian all my life, with Anglican priests for granduncles and missionaries dotting the whole family tree and never knew or talked with anyone who was a creationist until I began to home educate our daughter. It is not just this post but so many here that seem to indicate a monolithic view of what Christians believe. That is not the reality outside of homeschooling circles.

Edited by elizabeth
typing

The fact that 83% of the handful of homeschoolers surveyed in the NCES sample said one reason they HS is to provide religious or moral instruction does not mean that 83% of HS families hold YEC beliefs.

There are plenty of HS families belonging to a wide variety of Christian denominations and non-Christian faiths who want to provide religious instruction to their kids but who are not YEC's. Even some secular HS families I know are HS in part to teach their dc in accordance with their morals & values (things like anti-consumerism, pacifism, environmentalism, etc).

I have looked at public school science textbooks and I don't think they're very good. I look and them and see one more reason why I homeschool. I have only looked at textbooks for the elementary level, so perhaps the upper level books are better, but I am not betting on it.

I don't agreee. :glare: Take another look.

The secular science textbooks are not easily available to look at and they can be VERY expensive to purchase new. The big name publishers don't make it easy for homeschoolers to use or buy their materials.

Some very good secular science textbooks for middle to high school are: Holt, McGraw Hill, Prentice Hall and CPO.

The fact that 83% of the handful of homeschoolers surveyed in the NCES sample said one reason they HS is to provide religious or moral instruction does not mean that 83% of HS families hold YEC beliefs.

There are plenty of HS families belonging to a wide variety of Christian denominations and non-Christian faiths who want to provide religious instruction to their kids but who are not YEC's. Even some secular HS families I know are HS in part to teach their dc in accordance with their morals & values (things like anti-consumerism, pacifism, environmentalism, etc).

:iagree:

I immediately thought the same thing when I read that line. Sloppy application of statistics on the author's part.

:iagree: I had never found many resources on young earth, even while homeschooling, until a few suggestions to look at conservative christian sites.

I came on just to post this! You beat me to it. Yes, I do feel under-represented in the homeschool science department. I would love something out there to address an old-earth/ theistic evolution viewpoint. I won't hold my breath:glare:.

Actually, Dr Francis Collins (He wrote THE LANGUAGE OF GOD) and his foundation, BioLogos http://www.biologos.org/ is working on a homeschooling science curriculum.

http://biologos.org/projects/curriculum

I also know a professor at a state school and am ...politely badgering him to write a science curriculum.

Edited by justamouse

Exactly what I was thinking also.

Religious does not = YEC

This article was on the Yahoo home page? Ugh :huh:.

While I DO feel under-represented as a secular homeschooler, there are other ways to get science curriculum. Depending on the state and district you may even be able to borrow textbooks from your local school (that's an option where I live) and those will be secular. K12 is secular. They mentioned Calvert in the article, but I found their science to be weak and you can't buy science separately since it's an all-inclusive curriculum.

I guess I feel that as long as there are a couple of decent secular options out there, that's good enough for me.

Catherine,

I didn't take that to mean that 83% homeschool primarily for religious reasons. I don't believe that is true or that anyone would publish it. However, I do believe 83% of openly find-able homeschoolers are at least somewhat religious and enjoy at least some level of faith-based benefits. If one could check off any number of reasons they homeschool, they may check off "religious reasons" as ONE of many. It may be the primary reason or the 12th reason, but it's *A* reason.

I did not start homeschooling or continue homeschooling for spiritual reasons. But I certainly like the spiritual and religious benefits.

Also, I find it interesting that people suggest we can easily just use secular materials that Christians are the ones that have to go to specialized christian curriculum publishers. However, there is definitely a difference in materials made for homeschooling one child or a small group versus schooling a classroom. So yes, certain materials may be available for people who want evolution (btw, that isn't my issue, but...), but they aren't HOMESCHOOL materials. And there is a definite benefit to having homeschool-specific materials. LOTS of people don't choose certain Christian materials because they are more school, rather than homeschool, relevant.

And another real issue is that just because someone is fairly religious to REALLY religious doesn't mean they are YE Creationists.

Edited by 2J5M9K

We went with CPO science so we are using a public school textbook. It was easy to actually buy (thanks to ebay and amazon) but the problem is that it isn't always adapted to teaching one kid versus a classroom full of them. They have great looking labs that just can't be done at home (that is until I win the lottery to afford the equipement they sell). I adapted the labs to the best I could and it isn't working that badly but I would rather buy a homeschool curriculum designed to be used at home and save time and agravation trying to adapt one designed for schools.

one reason they HS is to provide religious or moral instruction

The two aren't the same. I would hope nearly every caring and capable parent wants to teach morals...honesty, frugality, loyalty, etc. is part of my homeschool goal, and keeping him out of the crush of materialistic peer pressure is part of why I homeschool. Secular parents don't teach morals? :glare:

Sloppy statistics.

Actually, Dr Francis Collins (He wrote THE LANGUAGE OF GOD) and his foundation, BioLogos http://www.biologos.org/ is working on a homeschooling science curriculum.

http://biologos.org/projects/curriculum

I also know a professor at a state school and am ...politely badgering him to write a science curriculum.

Thank you!! Maybe I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you!! Maybe I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Me too! I would love to have a good curriculum appropriate for the logic stage written from a theistic perspective (preferably Christian) that discusses evolution. I loved Dr. Collins' book as well as some of the others listed on the BioLogos website, but they're written for adults.

I just read the MSNBC take on this same story. They included a poll. (I'm paraphrasing, and the italics are mine...) "Should textbook publishers be allowed to dismiss evolution?" Most folks voted no, btw. Wow, "allowed"...let's start censoring the homeschooler's textbooks! Disturbing.

Edited: Sorry, I misremembered...they said "Is it ok?". But still, I don't like people being told what is ok and not ok to publish.

Edited by Shelly in the Country
correction

Totally agree. We almost grudgingly use Christian texts for science and feel we need to supplement with discussion and even secular resources to *round out* the content of their science educations. I'm sure we're not the only Christian family who wishes for a more balanced science text series that is not (only) YEC. We try to cover all 6 or so of the major Christian views on the earth's origins/history.

From what I understand, some public schools with give homeschoolers free public school textbooks upon request. Just another option.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Well, someone must have gotten the ball rolling for the Young Earth homeschooling textbooks to be written. Someone or a group of someones had to write the books, edit, publish it. Wouldn't that be the same for any other homeschooling textbook? I know of a few people even on these boards who have seen a lack of a certain style of textbooks (but in subjects other than science) and have been doing the work. So, it may be a shame that there isn't as many to choose from, but there isn't a conspiracy to keep them from being published. No one has stepped forward to do the work or has found someone to do it for them.

Look, both sides has a couple of things in common.

1. One feels under-represented in the homeschooling community and the other feels under-represented in general society.

2. One calls the other theologically disadvantaged and the one calls the other scientifically disadvantaged.

Pretty nifty. We both really do understand how the other one feels if we just stop to think about it.

I'd love a curriculum that presented multiple viewpoints in a respectful manner. I get tired of the name-calling by so-called professionals (creationists and evolutionists).

Edited by Daisy

In an idea world kids would be taught both OBJECTIVELY, which doesn't happen in most textbooks.

Kids who are taught religion as science arrive at college at a distinct disadvantage, imo.

I'm assuming you meant to write 'ideal world".

But the truth is that we most certainly live in an idea world, and we all have World View perspectives. Some people (not you I'm quoting) can't stand it that many, many people just don't accept/believe/preach Evolution. (Althought they definitely will defend your right to do so).

Pick a library, any library from sea to shining sea--there are more volumes there which include evolutionary themes than can almost be counted!

The part in the Yahoo! article that really makes me upset has nothing to do with Darwinian content. A mom is upset because she doesn't do her own homework about science curriculum for her children and SURPRISE!! Mr. Darwin isn't on the playground of ideas??? I mean, come on! She has no one to blame but herself. Someone needs to direct her to the Hive ;)

The part in the Yahoo! article that really makes me upset has nothing to do with Darwinian content. A mom is upset because she doesn't do her own homework about science curriculum for her children and SURPRISE!! Mr. Darwin isn't on the playground of ideas??? I mean, come on! She has no one to blame but herself. Someone needs to direct her to the Hive ;)

:lol:

Yes, of course I meant "ideal".

I teach a science class in a co-op. My child is the only atheist kid there, but she will defend creation and her cohorts will defend evolution. Why? Because I think that they would ALL be at a disadvantage if they get to college/real world and the only thing they know how to say is, "You are wrong and here's why".

Yes, of course I meant "ideal".

I teach a science class in a co-op. My child is the only atheist kid there, but she will defend creation and her cohorts will defend evolution. Why? Because I think that they would ALL be at a disadvantage if they get to college/real world and the only thing they know how to say is, "You are wrong and here's why".

:iagree: I agree. I think it is important to learn all of it.

I don't imagine very many evolutionists pick up YE materials just to familiarize their children with that viewpoint. I don't expect creationists must pick up evolutionist-authored materials either.

I personally prefer to incorporate books written from multiple viewpoints, but I'm not convinced that someone choosing to do it another way is at a disadvantage. I'll let time tell.

For high school, why not just go to a college bookstore (Brick and mortar or online) and buy a 1000 level Chemistry, Biology, Earth Science, or Physics text? There's really not that much difference in level between the intro class in college and a good high school course, and used college textbooks are VERY available.

I actually want my children to understand both sides of the issue for the very reason ThatCyndiGirl mentioned. I don't want someone telling my children they are wrong and have it shake their faith. Evolution can be 100% accurate and it won't change for one instant the belief I have that God is the origin of life.

I worry that some of these creationist groups are making creationism into a new religion. What you believe about creation or evolution is NOT a major doctrine in our faith.

I actually want my children to understand both sides of the issue for the very reason ThatCyndiGirl mentioned. I don't want someone telling my children they are wrong and have it shake their faith. Evolution can be 100% accurate and it won't change for one instant the belief I have that God is the origin of life.

I worry that some of these creationist groups are making creationism into a new religion. What you believe about creation or evolution is NOT a major doctrine in our faith.

Yes, and I DO believe that many kids are shaken in their faith when they get out into the real world and "well, the bible says so" or "well, my momma always said" just doesn't cut it as a SOURCE.

And yes....we DO buy college books/use books from the library, but it is nice to have textbooks, too. I, for one, am glad that I have textbooks for math and foreign language as parsing something like that together from books would be more work than I would like to take on at the moment.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is a major danger - turning evolution/creation into a litmus test for the Christian faith. Really. Where is that in the Bible?

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is a major danger - turning evolution/creation into a litmus test for the Christian faith. Really. Where is that in the Bible?

Funny you should say that, in a PM to someone about this thread I told that member that, as a child, I reconciled a belief in both evolution AND creation and in my mind "the world was created by a god then that god chose to use evolution as the way that his creation 'came to be what it was supposed to be'"....then, I was exposed to VERY fundie dogmatic zealots who basically forced me to choose. Problem was,....I couldn't choose what they believed. :001_huh:

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE a curriculum that could effectively, fairly, and understandably give multiple viewpoints, the reasoning behind them, the drawbacks as they or others saw them, etc. I feel I've done a good job of giving my kids that, but can you imagine a series for high school science which did it WELL? So then every student could hold an intelligent discussion, pass a test from any viewpoint, and learn to think through things carefully to own their own beliefs.

Again, whoever is going to do this probably has 20ish years before I'll need it for my grandchildren :)

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE a curriculum that could effectively, fairly, and understandably give multiple viewpoints, the reasoning behind them, the drawbacks as they or others saw them, etc. I feel I've done a good job of giving my kids that, but can you imagine a series for high school science which did it WELL? So then every student could hold an intelligent discussion, pass a test from any viewpoint, and learn to think through things carefully to own their own beliefs.

Again, whoever is going to do this probably has 20ish years before I'll need it for my grandchildren :)

I'll buy it!! :iagree:

:iagree: I think a lot of people on this board would like that! If only I were so motivated.....I have a couple of book ideas floating around in my noggin, but I'm not sure I have room for a project of THIS magnitude! :001_huh:

I just read the MSNBC take on this same story. They included a poll. (I'm paraphrasing, and the italics are mine...) "Should textbook publishers be allowed to dismiss evolution?" Most folks voted no, btw. Wow, "allowed"...let's start censoring the homeschooler's textbooks! Disturbing.

Edited: Sorry, I misremembered...they said "Is it ok?". But still, I don't like people being told what is ok and not ok to publish.

Here is the true purpose of this article. Frankly, folks, I think we're missing the boat by even having a discussion about evolutionary vs. YE creationist homeschool material in response to this. (I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss this issue, just that this article is aiming beyond our little community here--look at the responses in this poll.) We need to unite. This is an attack on our freedom to choose what we teach our children.

There are some terrific trade books -- not textbooks -- that discuss the tensions between intelligent design, creationism, and evolutionism in the U.S. A couple of newer ones focus on the recent court case in Pennsylvania and make fascinating reading that combines civics, history, and biology. It would be great for high school kids and their parents to read them together. There are also some interesting and disturbing books about the troubled relationship between politics, funding mechanisms, and science education. Science-minded highschoolers might find these useful to look into; even if they don't read the entire book, they could read the introductory chapters and get a sense of what the fuss is all about from both (or multiple) sides. If anyone wants titles I can post some.

Here is the true purpose of this article. Frankly, folks, I think we're missing the boat by even having a discussion about evolutionary vs. YE creationist homeschool material in response to this. (I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss this issue, just that this article is aiming beyond our little community here--look at the responses in this poll.) We need to unite. This is an attack on our freedom to choose what we teach our children.

I get what you are saying here, but, honestly, I have the same reaction when I hear/read about Neo-Nazi's who teach their children at home. My first thought is, "those kids aren't hearing any outside sources", which is the concern of many outside the homeschooling community.

(Don't quote Godwin's law on me....I know about bringing the Nazi argument into it, but here it actually applies.)

Our state gives you a site to purchase from directly on the home study application, but you can't purchase the teacher's editions. So there is a catch. You can purchase all the student books you want though.