Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week Seven

Happy Valentine's Day -- virtual hugs and candy kisses for everyone!!!!! We are starting book week seven and should have you starting book #7 - if you haven't already. Mr. Linky is up on the 52 books blog for you to link your current reads.

G is for Grace, gratitude, giving and an assortment of things it turns out. I kind of meandered a bit with this week's post. Lent's coming up on Wednesday, but I'm not planning on giving up the internet. It keeps me sane. Limiting it perhaps, but giving it up altogether just isn't going to happen. If any of you are giving up the boards for lent, I'll be waiting for you on the other side to hear all about the wonderful, thought provoking books you read during that time.

My Art History class is done (Yippee) and it involved a lot of writing this time and wiped me out. I think I'm getting an A though. My next class which starts in a couple weeks will be Nobel Literature which will include some interesting reading.

I just started Stephen King's Under the Dome. It is a 1000+ pages long, so that's what I'll be reading this week and probably next.

What are you all reading this week?

Finished the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in under 2 days last week! That book was totally different, thought provoking and horrifying all at once. Couldn't put it down. Wasted no time in starting Catching Fire, the next in the trilogy. Bummer I have to wait til August for the final one to come out.

About halfway through Pendragon book 2 from last week, and the third book, The Never War, is on my desk, just waiting for me to finish up, which I will probably get to by Tues.

Robin, your lit class sounds interesting. I would be interested to hear some of the things that you read for that class.

I have read alot this week as I had a migraine and it slowed be down quite a bit.

Book #7--Dinner with Anna Karrenina by Gloria Goldreich. I really liked this book. It revolves around women in a book club and the books they read for the group.

Book #8--Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne. Excellent book. I usually do not like parenting books but this one has a diffeent angle. It has a Waldorf slant to it which made it refreshing.

Book #9--Committment by Elizabeth Gilbert. I am still reading this one. It is different than Eat, Pray, Love. So far, though, it is interesting.

I just started Stephen King's Under the Dome. It is a 1000+ pages long, so that's what I'll be reading this week and probably next.

What are you all reading this week?

I just started this book as well. I am one book ahead, so I don't mind a nice big one....

This is the first Stephen King I have read in almost 20 years....

Hope it's not lame...

~~Faithe

Finished the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in under 2 days last week! That book was totally different, thought provoking and horrifying all at once. Couldn't put it down. Wasted no time in starting Catching Fire, the next in the trilogy. Bummer I have to wait til August for the final one to come out.

About halfway through Pendragon book 2 from last week, and the third book, The Never War, is on my desk, just waiting for me to finish up, which I will probably get to by Tues.

We loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire too. can't wait for the sequel!

~~Faithe

Read Jack's Life: A Memoir of C.S.Lewis this week: http://goldengrasses.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-man-jack.html

A very touching memoir by his step-son, Douglas Gresham.

I'm still working through The Post American World by Fareed Zakaria- most excellent and thought provoking! My goal is to be done by this week-end and then start "The Dumbest Generation."

Whoever recommended Ghengis Khan & the Shaping of the Modern World- thank-you. My ds is loving it!

Looking into Hungar Games:)

After not being able to get into The Illuminator, I put it down & picked up a different book: Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia. It's a huge book, so it may take me a couple of weeks to get through it. And, w/ the winter olympics now going on, I'm not reading as much as usual....

ETA: The read-alouds/young adult books I'm currently doing w/ the dc are The Nobodies and Augustus Caesar's World.

-----

Books I've read in 2010:

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

2. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

3. The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare

4. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

5. Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

6. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Books I've read with my dc/young adult books in 2010:

1. The Anybodies by N. E. Bode

2. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Books I started but didn't finish in 2010:

1. The Canon by Natalie Angier (would like to read/finish in the future)

2. The Illuminator by Brenda Rickman Vantrease

Edited by Stacia

I read 'Vita Brevis' by Jostein Gaarder and have been wondering ever since why we torture ourselves with St Augustine's 'Confessions.' Speaking of which, I've managed to plough through another few chapters. I think I'm up to page 70 something now. It's such a drag. I could have read the book in one day if I wasn't doing it a la WTM. *sigh*

To cheer myself up I also read 'Devil's Food,' a mystery by Kerry Greenwood. I thoroughly enjoyed this, especially since it's set in my home town. Don't you just love reading stories set somewhere you know?

Also read 'The Cross-Country Quilters' by Jennifer Chiaverini. These books are so comfy :)

Rosie

I am beginning Robert Jordan's "Crossroads of Twilight" (book 10). I hope to get it read in a week so I don't get behind, but it is kind of thick. ;) Plus I really want to get through book 10 & 11 (which I've read before) to get to the brand new book 12 that has been waiting for me since Christmas! :D

My secret sister at church just gave me three Christian Historical Romance books that I'm anxious to get to too.

Finished these:

#7 - Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert. Not normally my type of reading, but I enjoyed her honesty, reflections, adventures, and style of writing. Am looking forward to reading her latest, Commitment - but library doesn't have it yet . . .

#8 - Goodbye Careers, Hello American Adventure, by Bert and Theresa Sherman. A young married couple who decide to take almost a year to travel the country. Enjoyable quick reading. I think I would have liked more detail/observation, however.

#9 - Lena, by Margaret Jensen. A Christian non-fiction story revolving around the author's wayward son and Lena - prayer partner and friend.

Am currently preparing to read:

#10 - Power to Heal: Receiving God's Everyday Miracles, by Joan Hunter. Saw this author interviewed on television and was struck with the topic.

I finished Mansfield Park this week, and what an odd book it is! I was glad to have a good introductory essay included in the edition I was reading as it helped by giving some context into the period in which Austen wrote and gave a plausible explanation of why the book is the way it is.

I've started 2 new books this week, well 3 actually. Remarkable Creatures, a historical fiction by Tracy Chevalier (of Girl with a Pearl Earring fame) about 2 female paleontologists in early 1800s England, and Country Driving, a non-fiction book about driving in modern China. I recommend this one to those of you who have read the Ghengis Khan biography as Country Driving is about driving along the Great Wall and the transformation of that area of China in the last decade. It is a fun read.

My 3rd book hardly counts as a serious read, not because it is fluff, but because it is useful!! How's that for a category?? It is Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You, by Loren Pope. My younger ds will be college hunting in the next 2 years, and I wanted to start thinking about what it is we are doing.

I was hanging my head that I had not been dedicating a sufficient amount of time to reading, but it occurred to me that perhaps some leeway should be given to those of us who have to face taxes and the FAFSA. Ugh...

Nothing heavy on the reading list this week. I finished reading a Campion mystery begun last week, Flowers for the Judge. I rue the day when I exhaust this series at my library.

I also read Michael Pollan's latest, Food Rules, which was a huge disappointment--absolutely nothing new in this volume. As much as I adore Pollan's work, I am not sure I see the purpose of this book which is nothing more than a condensation of his last work. I would not spend $11 on this skinny paperback--borrow it from the library as I did if you feel compelled to read it.

Jane

Started Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today. I've been wanting to read those for years, and finally checked the first one out from the library. If I finish that one early in the week, I've got something else that a friend loaned me... can't think of the title right now...

This week we're starting Johnny Tremain for our read-aloud. That one's going to take a few weeks...

Finished How Lincoln Learned to Read ... I really liked it!

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat

Week 2: An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart

Week 4: Meet the Austins

Week 6: The Moon by Night

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read

More non- fiction. I am so enjoying Made From Scratch. What a delightful young woman. Its a bitty book, and I am forcing myself to go v e r y slowly. I let myself read one chapter and then I put it down.

www.amazon.com/Made-Scratch-Discovering-Pleasures-Handmade/dp/160342086X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266208442&sr=8-5

Oh, that does look good! Another book I'm going to put on my 'to read' list. :001_smile:

I think I'm falling behind. Three in progress, nothing new finished in a few weeks. And I'm counting the kid lit I read. I enjoy seeing what you all have been reading and am ready to put a few on hold at the library. For now, still working on Mythology and American Pie and also started Spider Sparrow this week. We have several read alouds going too. Wish we could all just sit on the sofa and read for a few days!

Last night, I also started Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman. I enjoyed his spare writing style in Lying Awake & thought his memoir of China sounded interesting. So far, it's very readable as he paints little vignettes of his life while teaching English in China.

Amazon.com Review

In 1982, Salzman flew off to teach English in Changsha, China. He writes of bureaucrats, students and Cultural Revolution survivors, stripping none of their complexity and humanity. He's gentle with their idiocies, saving his sharpest barbs for himself (it's his pants that split from zipper to waist whilst demonstrating martial arts in Canton). Though dribs of history and drabs of classical lore seep through, this is mostly a personal tale, noted by the Los Angeles Times for "the charmingly unpretentious manner in which it penetrates a China inaccessible to other foreigners."

Running List

Read:

-Dragonsinger (old favourite)

-Belle (fr)

-That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week (good book on getting boys organized)

-The Unlikely Disciple: A Year at America's Holiest College (or something like that)

-Outliers (enjoyed)

-Dance with Me (when your mother-in-law says she liked a book and it is a book where a mother gets put in a nursing home, you read it)

-Blink (going to make my sons read this one because we all rely on this ability quite a lot - this was the big lesson I learned in my 30's, so nothing new, but still interesting)

In progress:

Waiting for Godot

Trevor Chamberlain: A Personal View

The Color of Distance

Le gone du Chaaba (fr)

Le Petit Prince

Useful bits:

Classical Music for Dummies

Teen-Proofing

various books on Chinese brush painting

I tried one of the quilt books one time. It was all about a horrible flu epidemic. In case that one was different from the others, I read another one about a teenager who stole a sewingmachine to please his mother, with his mother realizing that she had done a terrible job of raising him. That one was less than comforting, too. Are the rest of them different? If so, I'll try again.

Wow! Good for you! I've picked up that composition book and tried to read it a number of times and never gotten very far. Is it worth wading through? Maybe the problem is that when I sit down to read it, I feel like I need to be thorough and begin at the beginning. Usually, I read those books backwards, or read the second half and then go back and read the first half. Maybe I sabotaged myself. Sigh. It didn't seem like it was all that hard to read. It just isn't something I, personally, want to know. I just want to know it so I can teach my son to write better. Those sorts of books are always hard for me...

-Nan

I just finished The Mysterious Benedict Society. (I've been reading sixteen children's books for a Battle of the Books group with which I'm involved.) I also recently finished Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff for a teachers (and librarians) as readers group.

In the category of fun (but not for everyone) adult books, I enjoyed Flirt. It's an Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, book by Laurell K. Hamilton.

I'm almost finished with Curiosities of Literature: A Feast for Book Lovers by John Sutherland. It's a fun 'read a few sections at bedtime' book. And I'm about halfway through All Cakes Considered -- this would be a great book for a new baker.

My 3rd book hardly counts as a serious read, not because it is fluff, but because it is useful!! How's that for a category?? It is Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You, by Loren Pope. My younger ds will be college hunting in the next 2 years, and I wanted to start thinking about what it is we are doing.

This is a great book, Jenn. If you're in the mood for more books in this vein, I'd recommend you take a look at the books I listed in this post.

Regards,

Kareni

Colleges That Change Lives is also good book to have as a resource. It is also by Pope. Now I am wondering if it's the same book with a different title?

http://www.ctcl.org/colleges/profiles

This is a great book, Jenn. If you're in the mood for more books in this vein, I'd recommend you take a look at the books I listed in this post.

Regards,

Kareni

Colleges That Change Lives is also good book to have as a resource. It is also by Pope. Now I am wondering if it's the same book with a different title?

http://www.ctcl.org/colleges/profiles

Loren Pope has two books and they are both good.

Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think About Colleges

and

Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You

Regards,

Kareni

Here's my post for the week; I read Sky Coyote and Does my head look big in this? I loved Sky Coyote but I put off finishing it because I was afraid of the ending.

I also finished The Holy Sinner by Thomas Mann, which I don't recommend unless you're really into medieval legends or you like V. C. Andrews. Oog.

AND, I'm publishing my review of SWB's new book today. Whew.

I tried one of the quilt books one time. It was all about a horrible flu epidemic. In case that one was different from the others, I read another one about a teenager who stole a sewingmachine to please his mother, with his mother realizing that she had done a terrible job of raising him. That one was less than comforting, too. Are the rest of them different? If so, I'll try again.

I've not read the one about the flu epidemic. One of the first I read was about the Underground Railway, which was rather interesting for me. It might not be for you though.

Rosie

I finished Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman last night. It was quite interesting to read as he paints many (and varied) vignettes of his life in China during the time he was there teaching English. He has a very spare, straightforward writing style that I find very appealing.

I think it would also be an excellent book for a high schooler who is studying China (esp. a cultural study). Also, it would be great for someone who is interested in martial arts as he talks quite a bit about various martial arts teachers he learned from while in China.

Probably not. I grew up singing Wade in the Water and knowing the big dipper was the drinking gourd and occasionally being told by the owners of a house that there was a tunnel in the basement, and I am generally pretty ashamed of the US for not abolishing slavery earlier and New England for returning fugative slaves (what were they thinking?), so I don't really consider that an entertaining subject. Interesting, perhaps, but not entertaining or comforting. The flu one was just plain scary. So they aren't all like that?

I finally finished Why Our Children Can't Read and What We Can Do About It. I really learned a lot from the book. I highly recommend it. I think I'm even going to buy the spelling curriculum she wrote.

I have a book on hold that is taking a long time coming in from the library. I'll have to pick up something else in the mean time.

The Unlikely Disciple, by Kevin Roose (about a Brown students who goes undercover at Liberty University--very good!)

The Year of Living Biblically, A.J. Jacobs (about a magazine editor who decides to follow the Old Testament/New Testament rules for a year--funny!)

I am starting on I Am the Messenger, by Zusak this week.

Here's my list:

1: Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire

2: The Blue Cotton Gown

3: Picture Perfect

4: How to Read a Book

5: The Chicago Way

6: Deconstructing Penguins

7: The Art of Mending

Deconstructing Penguins was a good read, espeically after How to Read a Book. I found the latter a bit overwhelming. Penguins, on the other hand, was very readable and gave me good ideas on how to introduce literary elements to my son in another year or so. (And confidence that he's not to young to understand literature!)

The Art of Mending was very entertaining. Berg is often hard to put down, and this novel is no exception. Touched on some really deep issues as well, which is a bonus for me (I like my "junk food" reading -- but if it has some meat to it, that's a great extra!).

Not sure what I'll get into next. I found The Dante Club on my husband's nightstand and liked the first few pages. Also considering The Fifth Floor, by the same author as The Chicago Way. And I may try to get The Cloister Walk from the library, since I found it at the bookstore yesterday but had to leave before deciding if I wanted to buy it (toddlers!!). So lots of options for week 8!

I just finished Black House one of my all time favorite books.

I picked up book one in the Left Behind series (my gramma's been bugging me to read these) and it looks like I'll be stuck on that series for awhile. I keep hoping one of the books on my list will show up at the library (been waiting on a few since the second week in January), but till that happens I'm reading this series.

I didn't see if you'd finished this... have you? Is there a review?

I just finished it a day or so ago so haven't written a review yet. It was interesting and strange and kept me reading. Lots of characters - full of the good, the bad and the ugly. Did I like it - mixed on that, still thinking about it.

I read it, too. My own university experience familiarized me with the secular perspective; these boards, the Christian adult/college perspective; and I've listened to enough Christian college student bible study groups at Panara Bread to be familiar with the asperations and failings of Christian students. I have three teen/young twenties boys. There were no surprises. The writing was very like the writing of his "master" with teen boy content. I enjoyed A Year of Living Biblically more.

-Nan