Menu

Silly thread: Remember the "Punch Bug" car game from the 70's?

Okay, I was watching Lost (or it may have been Amer. Idol) last night, and on comes a VW ad. They're punching each other, and shouting, "red one!" "blue one!" etc... So it hits me! They're playing Punch Bug!

Anyone else play this game in the 70's? Anytime you saw a VW bug, you shouted, "Punch Bug (and said the color of the Bug)!" and got to punch the person in the car with you. It was a VW Micro Bus or Vanagon, you said, "Slug Bus (color)!" My husband looked at me like I was INSANE when I was explaining the ad to him. He grew up in Minneapolis, I grew up in Seattle. Was it just a Pacific NW thing?

We played that game in Alabama, in the eighties. My kids like it, but we don't do the punching. They take all the fun out by hitting too hard and making someone cry. :angry: Over the years we have added bonus points for certain things like if it is an old one you get three points, if it is convertible you get two, five for an old convertible.

Yes, I remember. My kids and their friends still play it, but they say "Punch Buggy, no punch back." Driving them an hour to and from gym/dance, etc., the other mothers and I hear it all the way there and all the way back.

My kids also play "tweeter." Yellow cars and trucks are tweeters. Whoever has the most points when you get out of the car wins. DMV and Penske trucks do not count.

It's played in the southeast as well.

We also played "Padiddle!" The first one to yell "Padiddle" upon seeing an oncoming car with one headlight gets to punch the other person in the car... or if it's guys and girls, there is a variation where girls get to punch, guys get to kiss. Prolly not a popular variation on this board, LOL!

My kids also play "tweeter." Yellow cars and trucks are tweeters. Whoever has the most points when you get out of the car wins. DMV and Penske trucks do not count.

That's cute! :) My girls yell "purple car" and "pink car" when they see those. I think I'll need to come up with a name for them... But tweeter is darling!

I think we called it Punch bug in the 70s in NC. We also had a version called "Popeye" if you saw a car with one headlight out. With only one kid, we don't play it now <G>

Another big car game for me and my sister was a bingo type game on heavy card stock with little plastic windows that you'd slide over the picture to mark things you'd seen. There were pictures for things that you would see on the roadside---cows, horses, stop signs, traffic lights, etc. Haven't seen that in a long tiem.

Edited by KarenNC

Yes, I remember. My kids and their friends still play it, but they say "Punch Buggy, no punch back." Driving them an hour to and from gym/dance, etc., the other mothers and I hear it all the way there and all the way back.

My kids say banana for yellow vehicles. :tongue_smilie:

I have lived in a lot of places and I can't ever remember a single one where kids didn't play this. We loved Stevie Wonder but we had to explain to the youngest two why it was funny. It was our favorite super bowl commercial.

ETA: My hubby just informed me that he had never heard of this until our children came along. He thought it was a homeschool thing. :) He was born and raised in Chicago and spent his teen and adult years in FL.

Edited by KidsHappen

We played that game in Alabama, in the eighties. My kids like it, but we don't do the punching. They take all the fun out by hitting too hard and making someone cry. :angry: Over the years we have added bonus points for certain things like if it is an old one you get three points, if it is convertible you get two, five for an old convertible.

:iagree: We don't do the punching either for the same reason.

We also do bonus points for the old bugs. Hadn't thought about for the convertible models. Hmmm...that could really make our game more competitive. :tongue_smilie:

Grew up in the Rockies in the late 80's/early 90's playing "slug bug (color), no slugs back"

We also did the Cruiser Bruiser for awhile!! I thought we were the only ones to do that! LOL

My little brother tried to get a lot of different cars (Cop Bop, Jeep Beep, Truck Duck, ... anything really he could rhyme) to do the punching thing - I think he just liked to punch us. :tongue_smilie:

That's cute! :) My girls yell "purple car" and "pink car" when they see those. I think I'll need to come up with a name for them... But tweeter is darling!

When my now 11yo was about 2, we were at the library for storytime. The lady was asking the kids what different colors were. When she showed yellow, my ds yelled "tweeter!" We realized he thought the color yellow was called tweeter.

Okay, I was watching Lost (or it may have been Amer. Idol) last night, and on comes a VW ad. They're punching each other, and shouting, "red one!" "blue one!" etc... So it hits me! They're playing Punch Bug!

Anyone else play this game in the 70's? Anytime you saw a VW bug, you shouted, "Punch Bug (and said the color of the Bug)!" and got to punch the person in the car with you. It was a VW Micro Bus or Vanagon, you said, "Slug Bus (color)!" My husband looked at me like I was INSANE when I was explaining the ad to him. He grew up in Minneapolis, I grew up in Seattle. Was it just a Pacific NW thing?

Yep, we played it and my kids grew up playing it. Only they said "slug bug...color"

or double slug bug...color for a vw van. Also if they saw a PT Cruiser, they used to holler "Pinch Crusier...color". We never allowed them to actually hit or pinch, so they would just say the phrase and they didn't seem to mind. :)

Edited to add: They always added "safe" at the end of the phrase to keep some one else from claiming the one they spotted. Oh and of course we are in the PNW.

Edited by JustGin

Guest janainaz

I'm an Oklahoma-girl and it was popular there. We said something else (I can't recall right now), but we would hit the dashboard to the car (or the backseat headrest). I saw that commercial you are referring to the other day also. Oh, the memories......

My brothers and I played it as kids, both in the family car and on the school bus. This would have been in the 70s and we lived in central Illinois. We didn't do the punch thing, though.

We just shouted "bug" when we saw a VW. A VW Bus was a "bug on a truck". There was some other name for the VW "Thing"...anybody remember those?

Both dh and I played "slug bug" as kids...where you (playfully) punched someone when you saw a slug bug. (NM and CA kids)

Nowadays my kids (Utah) play, "Slug bug...what color is it?" Everyone in the car has to look around & try to find it and shout out the color. I guess you keep track of points...and the first one who sees the correctly colored one gets a point. I would find myself shouting it out--even when it was just dh and I. :D (Same way I still point out fire trucks...)

Sad to say, my kids ended up arguing & fighting about who saw it first....so the game got outlawed for a bit. Why do they have to each always be 'first' and 'right' about everything???

We do lots of games when we travel...ds12 has come up with some elaborate game where different kinds of trucks are worth more points than others...and has some running tally he keeps track of. A little insane, imo, but hey, it keeps him busy on the road.