Menu

Best Early Reader books....not BOB

mlgbug

i mean that are worth adding to a library in the home? Not BOB books, or Nora, kinda the next step up from that, but still early reading. I feel those books cause for very monotone reading....our new problem. so im looking for something with more fire behind them yet on a k-1 level....

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to the responses.

My six year old has been enjoying several books from the library called "Rookie Readers." A few titles are Car Wash; and Dirty Larry. They are not great literature, and maybe not what you're looking for, but there are many of them, and she enjoys them.

http://www.barbsbooks.com/easyread.htm#ROOKIE%20READERS

I remember having the problem with both her and her older sister that the supposed "beginner books" have a lot of words that are phonetically challenging. (I'm thinking they're assuming one is learning to read using more "look-say" than phonics.)

For example, Goodnight Moon is on a 1.1 reading level, which you'd think is about as easy and basic as it gets. Um, "goodnight" is not an easy word to read, nor is "telephone," or for that matter, even "moon."

Oh, one thing that I did like at that stage, that was very phonetic, are the "Beyond the Code" workbooks, which have several stories in each. That was kind of our bridge to reading "real books" for my oldest.

yeh its true. the EARLY readers sometimes have crazy words in it. but BOB books, unless im looking in the wrong spot are to BORING. :) she is getting it, something is clicking but gosh the child in monotone,lol. we do the story at the end of the 100 ez lesson but i want more options.

i mean that are worth adding to a library in the home?

I haven't found any early reader books that are worth buying for a home library. Although the Dr. Seus books are good and there are some fun books in the "Beginner Books" series, I don't see any of them as worth holding onto once the kids grow up. I'd rather get them from the library. Then again, I didn't have a struggling reader and the library is convenient for us.

I haven't found any early reader books that are worth buying for a home library. Although the Dr. Seus books are good and there are some fun books in the "Beginner Books" series, I don't see any of them as worth holding onto once the kids grow up. I'd rather get them from the library. Then again, I didn't have a struggling reader and the library is convenient for us.

:iagree:We went into Dr. Seuss and the other books from the Beginning Readers (books with the Cat in the Hat symbol on them) series straight after Bob Books.

Step into Reading (Step 1) books are about mid Bob Books level, definitely K level reading. I Can Read Books (Level 1) are harder than the Step into Reading books and more of a 1st grade level. They might be more equivalent to Step into Reading Steps 2 or 3.

We've been given a lot of Step into Reading (step 1) books, but they don't get read as much as Dr. Seuss-type books. My ds will re-read Dr. Seuss books over and over, but he hasn't looked at a Step into Reading (step 1) book after he's read it once. They aren't very interesting. The I Can Read books have a lot of fun classics like Little Bear and Danny the Dinosaur which are HUGE favorites around here.

I think that it's better to wait until the dc is reading more fluently for Dr. Seuss and I Can Read books. They are more enjoyable and can hear the rhythm of the words better as they are reading. This was really rewarding for my ds instead of torturous beginning reading. Just MHO...

Edited by Dinsfamily
clarification

Once you've finished a phonics program, check out the Sonlight lists for LA 1, LA2 Basic and LA 2 Intermediate. Other good options are the book lists for Veritas Press' First Favorites and Memoria Press' Story Time Treasures. Until you've finished phonics, these books will probably frustrate a young reader because they aren't phonetically controlled.

Another option for easy reading is the Pathways readers. These aren't phonetically controlled either, but they only introduce a few words in each lesson and you can explain the phonics rules they follow. Here's a link with samples:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Pathway_Readers/

They portray an Amish farm family's daily life.

yeh its true. the EARLY readers sometimes have crazy words in it. but BOB books, unless im looking in the wrong spot are to BORING. :) she is getting it, something is clicking but gosh the child in monotone,lol. we do the story at the end of the 100 ez lesson but i want more options.

Really?? My kids LOVE the Bob books. We also have a bunch of early readers called "A First-Start Easy Reader" that I got from a yard sale. They love those too. And they really are easy readers, a little bit more entertaining than the Bob books :)

We used Sonlight's Readers 1 when we finished Bob books. We weren't finished with phonics, but we were past beginning and ending blends when we started Readers 1. DD liked the SL "I Can Read It!" books. The first one starts very easy...like Bob books. I *think* by the 3rd book, long vowel/silent E words are introduced. BTW, we used OPGTR for phonics. We didn't use SL's LA1 to go with the readers.

Here's a link for Readers 1:

http://www.sonlight.com/readers-1.html

OMG i forogt we had the big box set of BOB books. the large one with set 2 and 3 mixed. Advancing beginiers and Word families. I showed dd and she took out book5, read it without sounding out and said, HA mommy, i really can read!

DUH CHILD!!!

Ill have to look for collection 3 somewhere, i know we got this one ages ago in sams club

:lurk5:

I'm tuning in. I will say I was very pleased with the efficacy of the Bob Book series. We read every last one of them. Trying to find books at the library for beginning reading that were phonetically graded was an exercise in frustration.

So I greatly appreciated the incremental build in the Bob Books. We didn't have the Nora Gaydos or I see Sam books, but I'd guess they fill the same need.

Whatever their deficiency as "literature", the fact that these introductory reads don't throw in words that are out of sequence in a child's phonetic eduction far outweigh the banal nature of the stories.

The Alfred Lobel books (Frog and Toad) have been proving fun "next stage" readers.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

OMG i forogt we had the big box set of BOB books. the large one with set 2 and 3 mixed. Advancing beginiers and Word families. I showed dd and she took out book5, read it without sounding out and said, HA mommy, i really can read!

DUH CHILD!!!

I'll have to look for collection 3 somewhere, i know we got this one ages ago in sams club

In that case, I think the Step Into Reading (step 1) would be about the same level and I Can Read Books (level 1) would be the next step up along with Dr. Seuss. Also, the third box of Bob Books (we have the same collection) is much harder than the 2nd box. I bought mine at Costco...I think they normally have them in August for the back-to-school rush.

Hope that helps,

Have you seen any of the I See Sam books? They are phonetic and have cute stories to them. You can find them here. http://3rsplus.com/

I think BRI 2 would work for you. You can see samples at that link.

I was going to recommend these too!

We are using them, although our situation is a bit different, with English a foreign language. The stories are funny! An no sight words anywhere.

Another option for easy reading is the Pathways readers. These aren't phonetically controlled either, but they only introduce a few words in each lesson and you can explain the phonics rules they follow. Here's a link with samples:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Pathway_Readers/

They portray an Amish farm family's daily life.

:iagree: Another vote for pathway readers.... My dd HATED bob books.... and after many tears I purchased these..... I still own them (even though my dd is almost 10 and is beyond needing them :D)

They are sweet stories and simple.... I had my dd read and reread the same story... Each day we read the story from the day before and a new one... Kind of like the OPGTR idea of one old and one new....

they got my dd reading and she enjoyed the stories! She now 9 and reading every book she can get her hands on! I can't remember which book we stopped on.. maybe somewhere around the 2nd graders.... but these got her going and feeling good about her reading.....

HTH's

Kate

My K'er likes the Arthur books (by Hoban). (He's a monkey not the aardvark) We also like Little Bear, The Fox books, some of the easier Bernstein Bears books.... Rylan just read a Johnny Appleseed by Demuth, it's an All Aboard Reading book. We get all our beginner readers from the library. My kids go through too many of them to buy them all! If he runs across words he doesn't know I just tell them to him if he can't sound them out. At this point, he's doing really well though and need little help. We started on Bob books (which is what my 4 year old is doing and loves them), but I didn't see a big "reading explosion" until he started reading the beginning readers from the library.

i mean that are worth adding to a library in the home? Not BOB books, or Nora, kinda the next step up from that, but still early reading. I feel those books cause for very monotone reading....our new problem. so im looking for something with more fire behind them yet on a k-1 level....

Have you looked at the Beehive Reader? This is a really nice book--hardbound, non-glare pages, nice line drawings (but they took care to make sure that the drawing doesn't give away the text, so the child still has to really read it), clear font, phrases are on a single line to help the child with reading smoothly & with better comprehension, there's a light dotted line under each line to help children who struggle with tracking--there are really a lot of great features in the reader!

You can see sample pages here, and here's a video that tells more about the reader (two videos are linked in this blog, the one on the reader is the second one). Merry :-)

I don't like the Step Into Reading or similar that is found in most stores. I just don't. I don't like that they are mostly based on characters from tv or that they have huge words pop up (too often imo) or that some use little pictures for words instead:confused: Thankfully, I was cruising the shelves at the library when I came across some readers from my own childhood. The author is Margaret Hillert and her books are simple, easy to read, familiar stories with charming illustrations. Here's the Three Bears you can look inside.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Bears-Modern-Curriculum-Beginning/dp/0813655153/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265483970&sr=8-2

The books also have a list of words in the back to go over beforehand or after. We don't use it but it's there. My dd just started reading this school year and she does well with these books.

Christian Liberty Press has a set of K readers that have interesting stories. Also the Christian Liberty nature readers are good.

HOD has an emerging reader list that progresses in difficulty.

We love the CL Nature Readers, but even the the 1st one would not be on a typical K-1st grade level...at least not how the OP is defining it IMHO. Definitely a good investment for the future, though.

My daughter was a BOB hater too. We hit on the Brand New Reader series, which she adored. They are tiny paperbacks, so very cheap, but they were books she read over and over. There are different series, featuring, variously, a dog named Winnie, Tabby Cat, a worm, a monkey, etc. The words are what we think of as "hard" for first words: I remember that Tabby Cat knits a scarf. But the pictures show exactly what is going on, and my daughter had less problem distinguishing the words that were very different from one another visually and phonetically than she did with the Bob books, which had words of similar length and requiring really fine visual discrimination: between m and n, p and b, etc. -- just switching one letter, because so many of the words rhymed. I ended up thinking it probably was easier for my child to differentiate between VERY different words, especially with the engaging pictures that went along with them.

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has suggestions on how to keep reading fun and exciting for my almost 5 year old dd? We are currently working through Phonics Pathways (on three letter words now) and reading Bob Books set 1, but it seems here lately that I can barely get her to pay attention long enough to finish our 15 minutes of reading time. I'm wondering if perhaps she might like some fresh material. Any suggestions as to how you made reading fun for your kids? Thanks!

What about Brian P. Cleary's early readers? I've not seen them, but do have his grammar series. They are anything but dull so I have high hopes for the rest of his work.

Our library doesn't have beginner readers either, at least not for phonics based learners so I'm going to have to buy. :(

Rosie

The Books to Remember from Flyleaf are beautiful. I have purchased them but have not introduced them to my daughter yet. She is very close to reading but not quite there yet. We are just starting to sound out words.

The books are somewhat pricey but they are actually cheaper directly from the publisher than used. I don't quite understand this but in general that is what I found when trying to find them.

The Books to Remember from Flyleaf are beautiful. I have purchased them but have not introduced them to my daughter yet. She is very close to reading but not quite there yet. We are just starting to sound out words.

The books are somewhat pricey but they are actually cheaper directly from the publisher than used. I don't quite understand this but in general that is what I found when trying to find them.

I just looked at these. You are right; they are beautiful!

Which set(s) did you get? I'm slightly confused as to what I would need to order. Did you get the word cards and/or teacher's manual? My daughter is reading very simple words (mostly short vowels), and I would love to get these for her.

Thanks for the tip! :)