Menu

What is the typical lifespan of a pencil?

I purchased a ton of pencils over the summer. In the fall, the kids came away with more than a dozen pencils from a community event. Their stockings all contained a nice assortment of pencils. So why in the world are there so few pencils in my house?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't even get me started on erasers! :glare:

The answer to your question really is based on whether or not there is an 8yo boy in your house.

There's one in my house, and I am amazed nearly every day at the uses to which he puts his pencils. Also the intricate carvings applied with a variety of "tools" (paper clips, pens, nails, butter knives, etc.). ;)

Call me crazy, but I have different pencils for different areas of the house.

The school room has 2 different types of mechanical pencils.

The kitchen/living area has yellow Dixon pencils.

My husband uses Papermate Sharpwriter twist pencils, and these are in our bedroom.

The boys have a mish-mash of the other leftover pencils that are kept in the playroom and on their desks in their rooms.

This makes it easy to return wayward pencils to their correct homes. The boys know where they go and they put them back. They also rarely remove them from a room because they know they'll have access to a pencil in whatever room they are headed to.

Before I even read the post (just the title) my thought was 1 day. maybe two. But I have this problem with pencils and scissors. It doesn't really matter how many you buy there are NONE in the house. My kids want to take new pencils every single day because they can't find the old ones. And really there are surprisingly few used pencils lying around. I don't know where they go, there must be a pencil eating machine like the one that eats one sock of every pair. It also eats my scissors but I have bought AT LEAST 20 kids scissors in the last 5 years. I have never thrown one away, we have never taken them out of the house, yet there is not a single kids scissors to be found.

Around here a pencil's life is only as long as the eraser's life. This could be a few hours or a few days. Of course, you can't use any eraser but the one that comes on top of the pencil. I hate dealing with pencils!!!

(Let's not even mention the arguments over pencils.:glare:)

Regular ol' #2s, however, get lost in no time at all.
One of our cats is a pencil thief. We've caught her a couple times in the process, but have yet to find her stash.

Before I even read the post (just the title) my thought was 1 day. maybe two. But I have this problem with pencils and scissors. It doesn't really matter how many you buy there are NONE in the house. My kids want to take new pencils every single day because they can't find the old ones. And really there are surprisingly few used pencils lying around. I don't know where they go, there must be a pencil eating machine like the one that eats one sock of every pair. It also eats my scissors but I have bought AT LEAST 20 kids scissors in the last 5 years. I have never thrown one away, we have never taken them out of the house, yet there is not a single kids scissors to be found.

:iagree:

Around here a pencil's life is only as long as the eraser's life. This could be a few hours or a few days. Of course, you can't use any eraser but the one that comes on top of the pencil.

It is a sad state of affairs when we find the box of beautiful #2s, (we got for a penny), that got stashed in NeverNeverLand many years ago and all the erasers have become stone.

We have tried resurrecting the little things by taking off the outer layer of the eraser. But, that only results in crumbled smudges.

Sad, sad, sad...

Depends on if the pencil lives with a dog. If it lives with a dog then the pencil must have special care by its owner, and be put away somewhere up high. Otherwise the dog will eat the pencil, ending its life rather quickly.

I have that problem too!! My cat and dog are in this conspiracy together. The cat bats them around the desk until they fall on the floor. My lab says, "Oh, good!! A stick to chew on." The rest is history.

Surprisingly enough pencils last a while around here. Our problem comes when dd's "favorite" pencils goes MIA and she spends 30 minutes looking for it instead of grabbing another one. Now erasers on the end of pencils is a whole other ball game. She wears through the original one in about a week if she is also using the big pink eraser. I bought a pack of pencil top erasers back when school supplies were on special.

Ha! In my house? a day or two. the boys are constantly breaking them, then they sharpen and sharpen and sharpen. Then... they fall on the floor and someone steps on them and breaks them. Then DS2 bites the eraser off and then breaks the whole thing in half (he's 5, btw), so then we actually have 2 pencils. Our pencil situation is a nightmare.

In our house, most pencils are toast with DSs age 9 and 6. It only starts with sharpener obsession. Then there is "how to pry Legos apart," "make a mast for the boat," and the good old "I was doing my work on the floor and, oops, someone stepped on it."

Although I must say the "puppy pencil" owned by DS6 has shown remarkable longevity. Of course, it is only permitted to be used by stuffed puppies.

Well, it depends on what kind of pencils it is. If it is a really good pencil like a Black Warrior or Ticonderoga then it doesn't last very long at all but I have some free pencils that are older than some of my children. They will get used in an emergency but they are not the pencil of choice.

Guest MommaTED

I actually still have pencils from when DS1 was in Kindergarten (he's 8 now). I have them in one large pencil cup and insist that they are put back every time. If they go through the eraser on the pencil, they have to use the big pink ones which also belong in the pencil cup. I used to insist on them using a pencil up completely before sharpening a new one but I've relaxed a little on that. I just make sure I don't put too many out at a time. :)

BTW, I'm new! Hi!!

:iagree:

I purchased a ton of pencils over the summer. In the fall, the kids came away with more than a dozen pencils from a community event. Their stockings all contained a nice assortment of pencils. So why in the world are there so few pencils in my house?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't even get me started on erasers! :glare:

They are hiding inside the socks that are missing from the laundry....but the socks are hiding underneath the paperwork that you can't find...and we all know what happened to that!

Umm.. years? I must be weird. (Although I do prefer pens usually.)

I have two pencils that I've been using for over a year. I've recently been happy that they are starting to look like they've actually been used a little. When I was in school, I would buy one pack of 8 pencils for the year, and at the end of the year, I would still have a few of them that weren't even sharpened yet.

As far as DS (4 years) goes, I silently groan when he gets a freebie pencil, because I know it will hang around forever, and I prefer him to use the little HWT pencils I gave him. I have tried to make a few of the freebie ones disappear myself, because I think that only one of his pencils has actually been lost. Of course, I do a lot of picking up of and reminding him to pick up his pencils and put them away...

Pencils last for years at our house. When the eraser is gone, it have finally converted the kids to using pink erasers or white vinyl erasers. I think that what saves our pencils is the fact that we have a hand pencil sharpener. Sharpening pencils for any length of time takes effort and the sharpener does a real nice not too sharp, usuable length.