Menu

Strict parents join!

I used to be a lot stricter when my daughters were very young (say, until school age), but out of NEUROLOGICAL reasons more than anything else, and it was DH who was more fervent about it than me (being in science). It's not nearly as much about the content as it is about the form (the specific kind of information TV provides), and the way the form itself influences an infant's brain. Our daughters basically saw zero, or VERY close to zero, TV prior to the age of 3 and 4 (they were never in the room in which TV was on; not only we took care regarding active consumption, but also regarding passive one), and I NEVER used TV as means to "amuse" them when they were infants while I was doing something else (a common practice among the women I know), because DH and his colleagues were so fervent about TV being inherently bad for an infant's brain, regardless of the content they watch.

As they got out of that critical phase (past toddlers), we slowly allowed more and more TV (it coincided with us moving here so there was also the issue of "kids have to absorb English"), but it was mostly a "weekend cartoon" type of TV (that is, about an hour and once or twice a week) up until certain age. They did watch lots of Disney (particularly old Disney), but we tried not to expose them to the really dumb content. And only then, slowly, we started to use more TV, for educational purposes as well.

Nowadays I wouldn't really say I "control" them with regards to TV (they're 11 and 12, though not for long :D), but I do "monitor" it, in sense of being aware of WHAT it is they're consuming. I impose time limits (1 hour/day, only after academics and other duties are done, and no TV one day a week; this time can be extended though), but content-wise, there wasn't really NEED for it so far, they were aware of some unspoken line which they don't cross.

I also don't limit computer/internet time (I limit time they can stay in front of the screen in one sitting, but no total computer/internet time if they're working on something), provided something borderline educational is being done. No games at all though, and no Playstation or anything alike.

I'm not very strict, but my concern is more about potential neurological side-effects or even "mental health" (in lack of better expression) side-effects than anything else, though I wouldn't expose them to explicit scenes and explicit violence and would forbid media containing it.

I don't have problem with Harry Potter, except that I personally consider it low quality (books as well as movies), but I think it's quite benign compared to many things that are offered.

Edited by Ester Maria

Dh and I have been married for over 20 years and we have never had cable. We didn't even have a TV for awhile. My oldest is 21 and last yr we got an xbox.

Dh and I are not 'strict', however. We are a reading, close family, and we do a lot of things together, like watch Harry Potter.

My kids are insightful and thoughtful. We've never 'forbidden' much. If we happen to be at a friends house and Spongebob is on, I don't care. It might give us something really interesting to talk about. My kids have intense interests and talents, so I've never had a worry about Simba or Disney Channel when we are on vacation in hotels etc. In fact, one of our children is interested in studying animation in college.

I never feel like I have two heads. Sometimes some people are surprised that we don't have cable or that my children don't watch much network TV, or have ever seen Biggest Loser or the like. (We all really do enjoy Hell's Kitchen, however, even dh. I can't wait until it's back on).

All my kids have good cell phones (except the 10 yr old who is almost always with me), and we are adding computers and laptops so people can work as they need to and let other people work. They are important tools. They also have ipods (again except for the 10 yr old).

So dh and I are discerning and thoughtful, but not arbitrary or 'strict'.

Edited by LibraryLover

Wow, I am stricter than I thought - mine don't get 2 hours of screen time a day! I prefer them to have none other than educational videos.

Plus two hours of electronic games a week. We watch occasional educational stuff too.

I do control the age suitability of what they watch, more closely than I control their reading.

Laura

We are selective about what the kids watch, to the point that we do not have tv in our home. My kids are allowed to watch maybe one movie/video per day. We would rather that they play or read.

I don't like them to watch shows where the characters are mean, rude or stupid, so SpongBob is off limits. An Arthur video is acceptable.

I won't even allow certain children's books to be read. I was looking at some books in the library for my 7 year old daughter and one of the books used the word stupid. I can't remember the title now, but it was Somebody (character) and the Stupid School Bus. It hit our banned list. I don't like my kids using the word stupid.

Computer time is limited.

I really don't think of it as being strict although some people we know may see it that way. We think it's good parenting. We also restrict junk foods, sugary drinks, etc. This is just how we have chosen to raise our children. Just because some things are considered normal or acceptable by the masses doesn't make it right.

My family does NOT get why we don't allow much TV time - my parents and siblings ALWAYS have it on at their house. I can't stand the noise. We onced stayed at one of their houses for a couple weeks on vacation and it absolutely drove me bonkers for the TV to be on so much. They even woke up on Sunday morning to get ready for church and watched some sort of MTV reality show! There was so much bleeping noises I don't even know how they knew what was going on! LOL Oh, well, to each his own, I guess!

I'll unite with the so-called "strict" parents here on the board!

:iagree:

Thank you! We're going through this very thing with my family (who we don't see very often). I can't stand that the tv -actually, 2 tv's - are on 24 hours a day. I left there with a raging headache.

My kids do watch shows, but it's limited and we don't have cable, so they're forced to be choosier because it all comes from Netflix or our Tivo. Thankfully they rarely see commercials, which I think is the *worst* part of Nick and other kids networks. blech.

Sometimes I feel isolated in my strictness. By strict I mean that I censor what my kiddos are exposed to in the media.

Many people look at me like I have two heads when they find out my boys don't watch Sponge Bob.

I am also similarily amazed when I hear some of the things that little ones watch.

For example do you allow your 5 yr old to watch Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince? (assuming you allow Harry Potter at all) I won't let me almost 9 yr old watch it. So that makes me a weirdo.

Are you a weirdo too? :tongue_smilie:

I was JUST thinking about this today. We picked up another child from enrichment class today and she and my girls were talking about Sponge Bob. My oldest (8) told her they weren't allowed to watch and the child could not believe it.

We don't watch Sponge Bob, or Wizards of Waverly Place or Hannah Montana or... the list is long. I'm often surprised at what some parents will not only allow their children to watch (or listen to), but what they'd allow other people's children to watch. My girls came home from playing at a neighbor's and had watched part of the movie Goonies. Really? I loved that movie and look forward to watching it with my girls - when they are older. What is the rush? Why does 8 have to be the new 13?

We are selective about what the kids watch, to the point that we do not have tv in our home. My kids are allowed to watch maybe one movie/video per day. We would rather that they play or read.

I don't like them to watch shows where the characters are mean, rude or stupid, so SpongBob is off limits. An Arthur video is acceptable.

I won't even allow certain children's books to be read. I was looking at some books in the library for my 7 year old daughter and one of the books used the word stupid. I can't remember the title now, but it was Somebody (character) and the Stupid School Bus. It hit our banned list. I don't like my kids using the word stupid.

Computer time is limited.

I really don't think of it as being strict although some people we know may see it that way. We think it's good parenting. We also restrict junk foods, sugary drinks, etc. This is just how we have chosen to raise our children. Just because some things are considered normal or acceptable by the masses doesn't make it right.

See, I'd rather let my dc watch SpongBob than Arthur. Arthur (and a lot of those other PBS shows) show bratty kids being, well, bratty. SpongeBob is not even close to realistic, so attitudes just don't transfer as easily.

This just reiterates the point someone made earlier about it really being dependent on the family and situation.

See, I'd rather let my dc watch SpongBob than Arthur. Arthur (and a lot of those other PBS shows) show bratty kids being, well, bratty. SpongeBob is not even close to realistic, so attitudes just don't transfer as easily.

This just reiterates the point someone made earlier about it really being dependent on the family and situation.

I agree with you about Arthur. He's whiny and I don't like the sibling relationships.

I am stricter than most parents I know, although my little kids have seen the first two Harry Potter movies (after listening to the books being read to them or on CD at least 10 times each ... not kidding!). We are huge fantasy fans here, so things like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and The Hobbit and don't bother us (although the PJ movie previews make it look iffy as to whether the kids will get to see it just yet).

As far as media restrictions, I do not let my kids watch network shows marketed to kids. I find the behavior on them obnoxious, and the kids are encouraged to act in pseudo-mature ways that I don't appreciate. I've never understood why parents let their little kids watch teen shows or those aimed at "tweens" (a word I really despise, btw ... and now people are using the word "pre-tween." :confused:) We don't have cable or satellite. The kids are limited to PBS shows and what we get from Netflix. ETA: We also don't allow many of the recent movies aimed at kids because I don't allow potty humor and fart jokes.

I have a 9th grader who goes to public school. I am far more strict than any of the parents of the kids at her school. She is not allowed to watch reality shows or any of what my dh calls the "crimas" (crime dramas) that are so popular these days. My dd was adopted at an older age and has had a very hard life, and I don't feel the need to have her picking up vicarious stress and drama through these shows. She has a Netflix queue but we limited it to PG-13 and under.

I still have to caution her almost daily, however, about how the newest phrase she picked up at school, or her description of the kids' behavior that day at school, or the lyrics to some inane song she wants to belt out at the top of her lungs are not appropriate for the little kids. That has been my biggest struggle in keeping things I consider inappropriate away from my younger kids: filtering their older sister.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Somebody (character) and the Stupid School Bus.

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus. Yeah, Junie is banned here, too. The library is chock full of dumb, rude books, and most children's librarians have no clue what's going on in children's literature beyond the formulaic pop series In my experience).

We used to have a fantastic children's librarian who understood our ideas on good books. Actually, we had two of them, both men. Unfortunately, they both got promoted. :glare:

Tara

I agree with you about Arthur. He's whiny and I don't like the sibling relationships.

Gosh! :001_huh: Has it changed that much? When my ds was 10 and up he had Arthur books and we watched it together. I cannot remember an odd sibling relationship but perhaps by now - many years later - Arthur has more siblings? :001_smile:

We are strict in a few different ways about what our children are allowed to see and how much. Our dc are 9 and 13 for reference.

As tor television, we follow a bit of a Charlotte Masony approach, as little "twaddle" as possible in viewing as well as books. :) So, no, we don't watch SpongeBob or Nick or the cartoon channel or almost all Disney programming. Or ABC, or CBS... lol I talk with our kids about why I dislike most programming. How most shows for kids portray parents as foolish, stupid or having no relevance in the lives of the children other than as a foil for their bratty wit.

So they will probably stink at Trivial Pursuit for their generation when they are older, but I can live with that. I am, personally, full of useless information. :tongue_smilie:

And here I begin to ramble a bit....

We mostly watch and love the Discovery Channel and the Food Network by choice. We are also Travel Channel addicts.

As a family we watch BBC Robin Hood, BBC Primeval, Leverage (really great discussions have come from this one), Sanctuary and the occasional Stargate SG1 marathon. All fantasy and Sci Fi stuff except for Leverage.

I am a Joss Whedon addict but the kids are NOT allowed to watch any of his series nor will they for some time. ( I can't wait til we can watch and discuss them together though.)

I adore Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and so do my kids. Books and films. Fantasy has always been my most beloved genre and our whole family shares in it. They have never had problems with it. I daresay, in some ways, it is easier when you know who the bad guys is, when good and evil are clearly defined. The heroics, themes and morals of these 2 series are worthy of emulation and I am thrilled that my girls hold them as dear as I do.

That having been said, there is a ton of crap out there in the genre and it is not allowed.

I have issues and take umbrage with gratuitous violence. That having been said, violence is often integral to a storyline, especially in history. For instance, The Patriot and Braveheart, Glory and others. We watch them and love them. If I feel the filmmaker went overboard, the kids do not see it. Violence for the sake of violence is abhorrent.

Sexual themes are also very heavily screened.

The youngest does get to see things earlier than her sister got to, but I think that is a hazard for all families with kids spaced fairly far apart.

On the video front...

We own a Wii and before that an old ps2 and the games we play are fun family things like Wii Fit, Outdoor Challenge, Wii Sports and such. Each of us has a game we especially enjoy alone, for my 9 year old, The Spiderwick Chronicles, for myself Harry Potter, for my 13 year old, she and her father love Star Wars. With the exception of lego carnage, we don't play violent games of any kind. My girls also got a DS lite for Christmas.

Time-wise, we are pretty balanced. In general, school and chores are completed before any play is allowed. We are all avid readers and read at least an hour a day above and beyond school. Some nights the choice for history is a family movie night. I don't really care how much screen time they get because they are balanced in their choices and their responsibilities have been taken care of for the day.

My SILs were "shocked" when they found out that only allow 2 hours of screen time a day. I am such a mean mom, I "make" my kids play outside, color, read books, play boards ... and boy are they suffering

I'm a mean mom too, LOL. We have no screen time at all during the week, only on Saturday - Sunday. Then we try to limit it to a family movie Friday night, 30 minutes of Wii and 30 minutes of TV or computer. It is hard at times to go against the flow, but I really feel it is the right choice for our family.

Gosh! :001_huh: Has it changed that much? When my ds was 10 and up he had Arthur books and we watched it together. I cannot remember an odd sibling relationship but perhaps by now - many years later - Arthur has more siblings? :001_smile:

Arthur only has one sibling, but his friends have siblings as well. They all seem to have the older sibling and the "annoying" younger sibling. Not going there with my kids - they don't know they aren't supposed to like each other!

I don't think of it as strict. I have different priorities than a lot of other parents.

1. Lack of Technology (which people assume to be strictness)

Hubby is a public school teacher and sees many first grade students who are negatively impacted by screens. We simply decided that we would restrict access to screens in our home because of this. We wanted our children to find other outlets for their creativity.

So we don't watch tv other than the occasional DVD.

We don't play any kind of video games (hand held, gaming systems, computer games) regardless of it's perceived educational value.

We find our children have benefited from this stance. Not all parents would agree and they don't have to.

2. Molding Appetites.

We don't think we are strict. We feel we are building in our children certain appetites. For example, we, homeschoolers, love to talk about how we want to introduce our children to GOOD literature versus twaddle. Well, I feel the same way about books, music, magazines, videos, etc. I'm purposely introducing them to some things and neglecting to introduce them to others because I very purposely want to mold their appetites. This will happen less and less often as they become older. To call this strict is silly, imo. Does one call a mom, who chooses to feed her child vegetables and restrict candy to special occasions, strict or smart?

I'm on the freak-wagon.

I know it's worth it for my family and I'm not changing anything, but it does create a sensitive area with people....I don't bring stuff up, it isn't necessary, but even when they bring it up and I try to subtly back out of something, people jump to the defensive when you mention not doing something they do. They perceive it as an attack even if nothing is said, thought, or felt. It's a touchy area, I've found.

Oh, yeah, it has a lot of attitude in it. Lots of eye-rolling and sighing and sibling animosity.

Would this be appropriate for a Robin Hood-loving 8 year old?

Tara

Yes! However, the 2nd season wasn't as good and the 3rd season was not one I'd recommend. The first season, though, was a LOT of fun for this Robin Hood loving family.

I used to be a lot stricter when my daughters were very young (say, until school age), but out of NEUROLOGICAL reasons more than anything else, and it was DH who was more fervent about it than me (being in science). It's not nearly as much about the content as it is about the form (the specific kind of information TV provides), and the way the form itself influences an infant's brain. Our daughters basically saw zero, or VERY close to zero, TV prior to the age of 3 and 4 (they were never in the room in which TV was on; not only we took care regarding active consumption, but also regarding passive one), and I NEVER used TV as means to "amuse" them when they were infants while I was doing something else (a common practice among the women I know), because DH and his colleagues were so fervent about TV being inherently bad for an infant's brain, regardless of the content they watch.

Yea! I'm not the only one on this issue either. I forbid any TV under the age of three. My mom was :001_huh: when I banned Baby Einstein dvds.

What is the rush? Why does 8 have to be the new 13?

I think this really hits the nail on the head. It's not that I object to every single thing because it's bad period (though I'd guess 99% of Disney channel and Nick stuff would fall into that category for me :tongue_smilie:), but because they're too young. I'm also looking forward to watching some things to them when they're older that I wouldn't have allowed younger. In fact, they are now old enough that I have introduced them to some things that would've been off-limits when they were little. I will keep loosening up as they get older, not because I used to be too uptight, but because they're growing up.

A 2yo is not ready for some things a 5yo would be fine with.

A 5yo is not ready for some things an 8yo would be fine with.

And an 8yo is not ready for some things a preteen would be fine with... and so on.

I know there are individual differences, but really it seems like everything's been pushed down at least 3-4 years (or in some families, it seems like everything is okay from the moment of birth). Disney movies (I'm talking old animated stuff) used to be for elementary-aged kids, not preschoolers. No one took their toddlers to the movies a generation ago, and there were no videos. My kids have seen most of the old animated Disney stuff, but not till they were 5 or so.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned the neurological issues for the very young - there was NO screen time of any kind before my kids were 3 or so.

See, I'd rather let my dc watch SpongBob than Arthur. Arthur (and a lot of those other PBS shows) show bratty kids being, well, bratty. SpongeBob is not even close to realistic, so attitudes just don't transfer as easily..

:iagree: I've been saying this for years. I'm not a huge fan of Spongebob, but I'd much rather my kids hear bathroom jokes than see sassy kids and 'clueless' parents on shows like Arthur.

We don't watch much TV, but IMO my kids haven't picked up anything bad from an occasional Spongebob--it's too stupid and unrealistic.

Also, I don't think limiting TV time/options is being 'too strict' in the least.

Actually, I can't stand Arthur. But for some reason my husband deemed that okay. Personally, I don't want them watching SpongBob OR Arthur. But I did notice that my kids picked up some attitude and language I didn't like after watching SpongeBob at a relatives house.

With Arthur, they comment on the children's bad behavior and point out why one should not act like that and say those things. My son frequently points out that Francine is a brat.

Sometimes I feel isolated in my strictness. By strict I mean that I censor what my kiddos are exposed to in the media.

Many people look at me like I have two heads when they find out my boys don't watch Sponge Bob.

I am also similarily amazed when I hear some of the things that little ones watch.

For example do you allow your 5 yr old to watch Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince? (assuming you allow Harry Potter at all) I won't let me almost 9 yr old watch it. So that makes me a weirdo.

I am definitely one. We don't have cable anymore but we do have netflex. Harry Potter is not an option until they are on their own as I won't let it in the house. At this point I doubt they will ever watch it. From what I have seen spong bob is very disrespectful. There are so many really good programs, why have them fill their hearts and minds with garbage.

I am so weird, my 8 year old twin girls have never seen a Disney movie. One day Lily informed me that we needed more operas on dvd. They each have their favorites and watch ballets, too. My in-laws try to push movies that are based on books for the girls, but we don't bite. I don't want the images of the stories in their brains to be altered by what they see on the screen.

Also, I am a total screen addict, but stricly limit my TV watching to after they are in bed. Dh doesn't watch at all unless we rent a movie. I don't want them to fall down my path at such an early age. They have better things to do at this age.

I tend to get that sort of thing too. "But they like it!" Yeah, they might, but they also like "Singing in the Rain" and "Sound of Music" which don't annoy me. With all the options out there that don't annoy me, there is no need for them to watch stuff that does!

So sayeth the Mamma!

:)

Rosie

Also, I am a total screen addict, but stricly limit my TV watching to after they are in bed. Dh doesn't watch at all unless we rent a movie. I don't want them to fall down my path at such an early age. They have better things to do at this age.

:iagree:

The MAIN reason that we have not had cable (and as a result NO TV) for three years now is that I was a total addict. I would keep it on for "company" and I would watch anything!! Like many addictions, the best way for me to deal (and to prevent passing it on) is to simply not have it as an option. I have to tell you, these three years have been great. I don't miss it (much) and my children have no idea what it is like to live in a house where the TV is on or available all the time. We do watch movies but it is such a chore (have to have DH's laptop and hook it into the TV, etc.) that we hardly ever bother!

Ha! That's true. My kids have watched The Office because I want to watch. At this point they don't understand some of the racy jokes.

LOL, I'm in good company, then! We skip episodes/scenes, but I actually think it helps with "socialization" to watch Michael sticking his foot in his mouth and Dwight being hopelessly rigid and paranoid.

:lol: That's certainly on my list of reasons to say no to a show! It's certainly the reason my kids never watched Barney...

:cheers2: ;)

If my kids must watch tv, (and yes I still need the electronic babysitter) I'd rather there was more to it than giggling. Some of the kiddie shows my cousin watches are sooooo simple. Chat, chat, giggle, giggle and that's about it. I can't see how that is good.

Rosie- indoctrinating my kids to like old musicals :D

I'm not sure whether dh and I belong here or over in the other thread.

At the moment, the kids have pretty much almost no screen time or electronic entertainment of the Spongebob ilk. We don't have a television, a DVD player, or any kind of electronic gaming device. We don't go to the movies. We don't listen to commercial radio stations. The only magazine the kids see is ds's science club mag. We have started letting the older two do math on the computer: the 6yo most days, the 4yo twice a week. And we occasionally show them a picture or a Youtube clip of something they have taken an interest in (eg pandas, bagpipes, skyscrapers), or family photos on the screen. They are never on the computer without close supervision, and they don't have any technology in their rooms, except what ds makes himself.

However, this state of affairs is definitely temporary. We want to give them unlimited access later on, so the plan is to gradually move in that direction as they get older. We are keen on letting them develop their own taste and make their own decisions, however we don't believe that they have the maturity to do it just yet (not a character flaw, more of a brain development issues).

The only problem I can foresee is how to start allowing things for the older kids while keeping those things from the younger one. Introduce staggered bed times, I guess?

Arthur only has one sibling, but his friends have siblings as well. They all seem to have the older sibling and the "annoying" younger sibling. Not going there with my kids - they don't know they aren't supposed to like each other!

Doesn't Arthur have a baby brother or sister too? I can't remember - it's been years since I banned that show!

Even weirder. I don't mind him watching elephants mate and films of childbirth, I'd even let him see an autopsy, but no mainstream TV, yet. Prospero's Books, yes, Pokemon, no.

My boys love nature shows. They've also seen me give birth, and they inspected the placenta with the midwife. Does that count for weird? ;)

:lol: That's certainly on my list of reasons to say no to a show! It's certainly the reason my kids never watched Barney...

Oh, Barney. *shudder* I also despised Teletubbies. Oh so annoying.

LOL, I'm in good company, then! We skip episodes/scenes, but I actually think it helps with "socialization" to watch Michael sticking his foot in his mouth and Dwight being hopelessly rigid and paranoid.

I love your reasoning.

Rosie- indoctrinating my kids to like old musicals :D

My boys love "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"

• 2 weeks later...
My boys love nature shows. They've also seen me give birth, and they inspected the placenta with the midwife. Does that count for weird? ;)

LOL...dd6 missed out on that experience (ds3 was a c-section), but not only did ds8 attend dd6's birth, I taped every homebirth episode of A Baby Story I could get my hands on, and we watched them for fun while I was pg. I think it prepared him well. He was really excited b/c a woman in Hawaii used the same "fishy pool" we used for our birthing tub.