Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - let's begin

I'm doing the 20/20/20 challenge. Are you we doing one thread for both challenges?

I'm 449 pages into the 599 page paperback If You Really Loved Me. It's been very interesting. It's a true crime novel about a childhood friend. I'm mentioned, by first name only, on page 34. I never knew the book existed until a couple years ago (published in 1991) let alone that I'm mentioned in it. At least, I'm pretty sure it is me...how many "Joanne" friends might she have had when we were kids. The man who sexually molested me is also mentioned on pages 34, 35, and another page. I sent the author an email, hoping to get some additional information that she might have from her research.

You grew up with Ann? My sister loves her work.

ETA. I'm sorry. I first read 'a true crime novel BY a childhood friend'.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Rosie! You actually fit into both categories so why not both. We'll cut you in half. :) Just kidding.

So what was the "stupid" novel?

Huff, puff :willy_nilly: Why are we running more than one reading thread anyway? Reading is reading, isn't it? Surely they could be combined. Yes, I want you all to do it my way :D

Oh, the stupid novel was "Only Human" by Susie Boyt. It was such a load of drivel; the type that was written specifically for women to read when they are bloated with PMS, still in their pj's at 5pm and eating their way through an entire litre of chocolate mousse. As I was not in that state, I shouldn't have bothered with it, and am not sure why I did.

:)

Rosie

I'm started reading a few books for the 20/20/20 challenge, but my first book is Careless In Red by Elizabeth George.

This book was a rec because of my fondness for PBS's Inspector Lynley.;)

Happy New Year! Are you all excited about our brand new reading year. I certainly am.

The rules are simple:

1) Read at least one book a week. ***

2) All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.

3) Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2010

4) You can join in at any time.

5) Books may overlap other challenges.

*** The challenge is very casual - you pick out what books you want to read. No lists required. Built in to the challenge is the 12 Classics in 12 Months since classics take so much longer to read and digest. Read one classic a month and if you find that you have time to read other books, go for it.

The book week will run from Sunday to Saturday which just makes it easier to keep track. Our first week is just a couple days longer since Jan 1 fell on Friday. Each week I'll be posting a thread for everyone to comment on what they've been reading. For those with blogs who have signed up as participants on the 52 Books blog, Mr. Linky will be available for you to post links to your reviews.

Each week on the blog, I'll be highlight different genres, authors, books, and whatever book related thing comes to mind.

This week is all about classics and a challenge to read the classics if you haven't already decided to. Have you read SWB's Well Educated Mind yet? It's a great resource. I'm starting with Aristotle's Poetics.

What are you reading this week?

I just finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins yesterday, so I'm counting that one for this week! It's the sequel to The Hunger Games, which I've been raving about lately. :D

I'm moving on to Beneath the Marble Sky for my book club this month... so I guess my classic will have to be put off a while. I'll have to check that link that was posted earlier and find a good, short one for January! I'm overloaded with the spring semester about to begin - they've revamped my class at the U and so I'm starting from scratch again this term. I have 2 weeks before classes begin to get it all settled!

I'm also 1/3 of the way into Wideacre by Phillipa Gregory (my guilty pleasure!) so I'd like to get that one polished off soon, too. Wish me luck!

I decided to start out with some fantasy this week, and read Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I was a big fantasy/scifi reader from middle school until my son was born and I really miss my old collection. I've been loading up my Kindle until I ran out of $$.:crying: I've also been loading up on free classics, and started Little Women by Alcott. I can't say I'm enjoying it so far... I loved it when I was a kid, but the book is dripping with sacharine sweetness, like a Hallmark movie. I'm not very far with it so hopefully I will get into it soon.

I am really loving my Kindle, and I really really love the dictionary feature.:thumbup: I'm really lazy when reading, and will rarely look up a word I'm unsure off. I've been looking up words left and right - it's so easy! And I love learning the word origins.

Oohh... Count me in! This will give me my excuse to sneak off and read.

Right now I am reading Tea Time for the Traditionally Built: The New No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Novel

For my classic I am going to have to say I'll pick up Pride and Prejudice. It's been a while and I love that book!

Looking forward to it!

Huff, puff :willy_nilly: Why are we running more than one reading thread anyway? Reading is reading, isn't it? Surely they could be combined. Yes, I want you all to do it my way :D

Oh, the stupid novel was "Only Human" by Susie Boyt. It was such a load of drivel; the type that was written specifically for women to read when they are bloated with PMS, still in their pj's at 5pm and eating their way through an entire litre of chocolate mousse. As I was not in that state, I shouldn't have bothered with it, and am not sure why I did.

:)

Rosie

:lol:

Yup...that was Time Travelers Wife for me...pass the bon bons....

~~Faithe

I'm starting several this week. I hope to finish Love and Respect by Wednesday or so to start The Hobbit for week 2. My classic for the month is The Iliad (actually it's thicker than my Bible so it may take more than a month). I'm also planning on reading through my One Year Chronological Bible. Hmm. I need to go read today's entry.

Happy New Year! Are you all excited about our brand new reading year. I certainly am.

The rules are simple:

1) Read at least one book a week. ***

2) All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.

3) Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2010

4) You can join in at any time.

5) Books may overlap other challenges.

*** The challenge is very casual - you pick out what books you want to read. No lists required. Built in to the challenge is the 12 Classics in 12 Months since classics take so much longer to read and digest. Read one classic a month and if you find that you have time to read other books, go for it.

The book week will run from Sunday to Saturday which just makes it easier to keep track. Our first week is just a couple days longer since Jan 1 fell on Friday. Each week I'll be posting a thread for everyone to comment on what they've been reading. For those with blogs who have signed up as participants on the 52 Books blog, Mr. Linky will be available for you to post links to your reviews.

Each week on the blog, I'll be highlight different genres, authors, books, and whatever book related thing comes to mind.

This week is all about classics and a challenge to read the classics if you haven't already decided to. Have you read SWB's Well Educated Mind yet? It's a great resource. I'm starting with Aristotle's Poetics.

What are you reading this week?

BTW - do we have a Facebook link? We could do a fan page for those of us who don't have blogs :D

I just finished reading "The Promise" by Father Jonathan Morris. That is a wonderful non-fiction book on the spiritual conundrum of suffering.

I am partway through "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin, but I might hold on that while I read "Confessions of St. Augustine".

My first book of the year was The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici by Jeanne Kalogridis. I would have liked it a lot better if the author didn't focus so much on Catherine's dabbling in astrology and black magic. Some scenes were a bit too disturbing for my liking.

Right now I'm reading So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson.

Oh Yay! I just got that from the library. I loved Peony in Love but didn't like Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (I didn't finish it, couldn't get into it)

That's funny. I was the exact opposite. I loved Snow Flower, but I didn't like Peony in Love at all. I am really enjoying Shanghai Girls.

I'm excited for Book a Week!

Since we're counting starting on the 1st, then my book this week was

Out with the In Crowd, by Stephanie Morrill. It took me less than 6 hours to read because it was a page turner--no place that I wanted to stop! It's a YA inspie novel, the 2nd in a series. Excellent writing and story.

My official review won't be out until the 15th of Jan (that's my blog tour date already pre-arranged) and I'll be giving away a copy!

If you have teen girls who like to read, try Stephanie Morrill--good clean books.

I'm started reading a few books for the 20/20/20 challenge, but my first book is Careless In Red by Elizabeth George.

This book was a rec because of my fondness for PBS's Inspector Lynley.;)

I just finished Careless in Red a few days ago. REALLY enjoyed it. I HAVE to enjoy it because it takes me at least 5 days to get through an Elizabeth George novel:D

BTW - do we have a Facebook link? We could do a fan page for those of us who don't have blogs :D

Oh mercy! Nope, no facebook. I don't have time to keep it up too. If one of you want to start a facebook page, be my guest. Those who don't have blogs, can comment on the blog posts or here. Great way to get discussions going. If there's a particular book you want to discuss on the blog, let me know. And there is also twitter, which is a lot easier for me.

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. I'm about halfway through and it's OK. I want to finish it so I can find out who is doing the things against Caesar. Other than that, it's not that great. I did debate on putting it down.

I haven't read this one yet, but will sometime this year. What don't you like about it?

I'm sorry, I'm so confused. What is 20/20/20?:confused:

So many challenges. So little Time!!!!:willy_nilly:

Here I go again with the multiple posts. I should read more slowly. The 20/20/20 challenge was thought up by Paula - Elegantlion. It's kind of similar to the 9/9/9 and the 20/10 challenges that are going around the blogosphere. Here's the link explaining the whole thing.

I decided to start out with some fantasy this week, and read Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

I loved the whole Assassin's series and the Tawny Man series (Golden Fool etc...) I think I'm about due to re-read these ones this year :D

OH, and if you do enjoy the Robin Hobb books then another author you may like is Juliet Marillier - I love my fantasy fictions :lol:

I will be starting Martha Washington by Patricia Brady tonight. Am I correct in that we have until Sunday?

Sunday to Sunday - makes it easy. Martha Washington looks good. Will have to check it out. I'm going to be reading a bio of George Washington at some point for U.S. Presidents Reading Project. Going to work my way through slowly.

I am in the middle of reading Hold On To Your Kids

I'm also reading Hold on to your kids, and am skimming through Queen Bees and Wannabees. I'm not sure QB is going to count. I'm reading a lot of it though, but find I'm not agreeing with the take on peer orientation.

Here I go again with the multiple posts. I should read more slowly. The 20/20/20 challenge was thought up by Paula - Elegantlion. It's kind of similar to the 9/9/9 and the 20/10 challenges that are going around the blogosphere. Here's the link explaining the whole thing.

That's OK, I seem to be internet challenged this week since I couldn't find that thread on my own!:lol: The 20/20/20 is too focused for me. I suspect I'll try that another year, when my kiddos are older and I'm not reading as many schoolbooks.

As for Facebook, you're right, I'll just post on your blog. I don't know what I was thinking! Do we really need one more place to post?:tongue_smilie:

Dorinda

Who really needs a nap!!!!

I'm halfway through Fallen Skies by Philippa Gregory. I'm enjoying it, but not as much as some of her other books. I particularly like any of hers set in the Middle Ages.

I'm just doing some planning on what to read. I've been doing a massive clean up here, so I've put aside some books I want to read. I've also been reading other people ideas and talking to my family for their suggestions. I definitely want to include some classics, since I seem to be quite lacking in that department. However, I also want to do a lot of reading just for pleasure since it seems over the years of having kids and hsing I've really let that fall by the wayside.

I'm also hoping to read some of the Charlotte Mason series, Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, Real Learning (Elizabeth Foss), Lessons at Blackberry Inn, Latin Centered Curriculum, Climbing Parnassus, some John Holt.

Whew! I can't wait!

Woolybear

I'm also reading Hold on to your kids, and am skimming through Queen Bees and Wannabees. I'm not sure QB is going to count. I'm reading a lot of it though, but find I'm not agreeing with the take on peer orientation.

Interesting. I found much of it rang true, although the dynamics were rather simplified since I had some very good friends all through high school that I remained friends with. My sister was one of the few girls she referred to who went through almost unscathed. She was only harassed once when trying out for a basketball team when we were in CA for a year in high school, so she joined a boys' YMCA team (must have been coed, but she was the only girl) and was simply ignored until she got the ball and they found out she could play. That Sept she was only 5 ft 2 but was in a huge, 6 inches in one year growth spurt (ended up 5 ft 6).

Last night I read all of Fahrenheit 451. This counts as a book in a week, and it's also one of my 10-10-10 categories, which is prereading what my dd needs to read. I'd read it in high school, but found it very interesting in light of life now vs how it was in the 1970s. I've started Swimming to Antartica which dd is going to read for memoir/biography as well as for Phys Ed since she is on a swim team & then does swim clinics for Phys Ed.

Interesting. I found much of it rang true, although the dynamics were rather simplified since I had some very good friends all through high school that I remained friends with. My sister was one of the few girls she referred to who went through almost unscathed. She was only harassed once when trying out for a basketball team when we were in CA for a year in high school, so she joined a boys' YMCA team (must have been coed, but she was the only girl) and was simply ignored until she got the ball and they found out she could play. That Sept she was only 5 ft 2 but was in a huge, 6 inches in one year growth spurt (ended up 5 ft 6).

Yes, this is true. I made myself misunderstood. I know the dynamics are true- I've seen it as early as preK. I don't agree that it is inevitable that our girls will see us as pariah and ditch us for their girl friends to fall into the underworld that is Girl World (was I dramatic enough :lol:). That's what I get for reading HoTYK and listening to "What to expect from a 12 year old" at about the same time as I started reading QB. Interestingly, many of the girl comments about when things really started to matter (in Girl World) was right around 12 years of age.

Yes, this is true. I made myself misunderstood. I know the dynamics are true- I've seen it as early as preK. I don't agree that it is inevitable that our girls will see us as pariah and ditch us for their girl friends to fall into the underworld that is Girl World (was I dramatic enough :lol:). That's what I get for reading HoTYK and listening to "What to expect from a 12 year old" at about the same time as I started reading QB. Interestingly, many of the girl comments about when things really started to matter (in Girl World) was right around 12 years of age.

Okay, that makes sense. You're also reading Hold onto Your Kids which I also thought was a great book, although I didn't read all of it & did read all of Queen Bees. I agree with you on that one. I was a very peer oriented kid and so my mother (and my dad) was my pariah for a while, even though she's a wonderful person. I have but have never read What to Expect from a 12 Year Old. Should I add that one to my non-fiction reading list?

I haven't read any of those and having dd at 13 as of last month... I don't know that I want too!

She doesn't think I'm a pariah, I AM embarrassing, sometimes, but for the most part she likes to trounce me out to meet her friends. What does that mean?

Augh. I need to find someone I know and have them read the book :lol: That way I can bug them for the info, without scarring myself.

Okay, that makes sense. You're also reading Hold onto Your Kids which I also thought was a great book, although I didn't read all of it & did read all of Queen Bees. I agree with you on that one. I was a very peer oriented kid and so my mother (and my dad) was my pariah for a while, even though she's a wonderful person. I have but have never read What to Expect from a 12 Year Old. Should I add that one to my non-fiction reading list?

What to expect... is actually a message from a pastor. It's free online if you want to hear it http://www.biblepreaching.com/davistwelve_mp3.html.