Menu

Since we're having spin offs - STRAPLESS wedding dress/wedding party poll..

How do you feel about the trend for strapless brides and bridesmaids...  

1. 1. How do you feel about the trend for strapless brides and bridesmaids...

• I think it's fine. Whatever a bride wants a bride should get.
    • It's fine - on a very small percentage of the population. Otherwise - more coverage please.
    • Never strapless. Thankyouverymuch.
    • Other (like - sure strapless is great when grooms are strapless, too!).

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the strapless trend...

As a photographer I see TONS of brides going strapless. After reading the wedding photo thread I wonder if no-straps will cause the cringing that puffy sleeves did for the 80s/90s.

What says the hive?!?!

Edited by Kayaking Mom

As a photographer I see TONS of brides going strapless. After reading the wedding photo thread I wonder if no-straps will cause the cringing that puffy sleeves did for the 80s/90s.

What says the hive?!?!

I'm sure it will for some, but I don't care either way :p Let the bride wear what she will.

My godmother was married in '85. She had the puffy Cinderella dress, the giant hair, the tiara, the whole nine yards. I look and still think she looks beautiful, really, just like a storybook princess. She cringes, but I really think it's more to do with the follies of youth somehow.

I don't know if this will come across, but it seems to me that when I see pictures of me from years ago, I only cringe because of the memories it envokes. The style gets blamed, but my thought is 'I was so young and empty headed, if I only knew then...'

Edited by lionfamily1999

My wedding dress had long sleeves! I have never once seen one with long sleeves. Not once. I still love my wedding dress.

I had a long-sleeved dress as well. It never occurred to me that it was uncommon until reading your post! But you're right, it's not something I've seen often. (I just told my husband we'll have to renew our vows someday so I can wear my dress again. It's absolutely my favourite thing I've ever worn.)

As for the original question... I could care less what the bride wears. As long as she's happy, I'm happy for her!

I dunno - I think of strapless as very Hollywood or very beauty queen. I am not an uber-modesty kind of person, but I don't like the trend of strapless. While many of these gowns are lovely, I just think that a wedding (especially a church wedding) should have a little less skin showing. I know that when I got married less than 20 years ago, we were not allowed to show our shoulders at our church wedding.

I think alot of the strapless dresses are quite beautiful on many of those who wear them:) BUT, what I guess I don't get is that EVERYONE has a strapless dress lately!! I guess it's been that way for quite some time... all the brides wearing almost the same thing:)

And yes, I think that most will probably look back and cringe ONLY because they'll think "Oh my goodness, that's SO 2008! Yikes!!" when in fact everyone thought it was quite beautiful at the time (like the poofy sleeves)!

I had a long-sleeved dress as well. It never occurred to me that it was uncommon until reading your post! But you're right, it's not something I've seen often. (I just told my husband we'll have to renew our vows someday so I can wear my dress again. It's absolutely my favourite thing I've ever worn.)

As for the original question... I could care less what the bride wears. As long as she's happy, I'm happy for her!

Your dress is BEAUTIFUL!! I love it!!:)

My only exposure (pardon the pun) to wedding gowns these days is from watching Say Yes to the Dress (love it!!). I've noticed that almost NOBODY looks good in strapless. I'm sorry, but it's true. If you weigh more than a wooden hanger, please opt for something with a wee bit more material!

Just my .02. ymmv :D

I watch that show "Say Yes to the Dress" and I am very disappointed that 99% of the dresses are strapless. I don't hate strapless dresses, I just hate the lack of variety available.

My wedding dress had long sleeves! I have never once seen one with long sleeves. Not once. I still love my wedding dress.

I had a long sleeved dress :) It was beautiful and I still look pretty in it :p

We ended up getting patterns for Ren. halloween costumes. The cut of those is much kinder to the curvy ladies in my family. I was bothered by the lack of variety in ready made dresses too. It DOES seem like, unless your thin, or happy showing off your body, a good dress is hard to find.

I had to get a formal ball gown on short notice 2 years ago and I hated the fact that I could not find anything other than strapless. I didn't have time to order something more modest off the 'net. I finally did find one that was more Grace Kelly than Britney Spears but even then I felt like I was showing too much skin. :blushing:

I think I'm just going to go get the links to the cleavage and moms in bikinis threads, and we can call it done.

:lol::lol:

I think a bride should wear what she wants. I personally don't like strapless for myself as I'm always concerned about slouching posture.

Looking back I should have worn something that showed my abs, then I would have proof that at one time I had flat abs. :001_huh: :)

I had to get a formal ball gown on short notice 2 years ago and I hated the fact that I could not find anything other than strapless. I didn't have time to order something more modest off the 'net. I finally did find one that was more Grace Kelly than Britney Spears but even then I felt like I was showing too much skin. :blushing:
See? You were forced to wear strapless because that is all they had. That is the way "Say Yes to the Dress" is. Even Mrs. Dugger had to get a strapless dress and then have them build it up with a high neck and sleeves in tailoring. Ridiculous! I just wish that there were a variety available.

I voted "other" because I just don't see an option that works for me.

I think strapless dresses look awful on most women. I've seen a very, very few that look good in them.

I also think that any time a woman gets married in a church, she should be decently covered...so if she chose a strapless dress, she should have a jacket/shawl/something to cover those bare areas. It just shows respect for the institution of church.

Having said all that, I truly think a bride should be able to wear whatever she likes and feels comfortable in. Just because *I* don't like it, or *I* wouldn't choose to wear it, doesn't mean I would condemn someone who would. It's not *my* wedding, kwim? Each to their own. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I've been to tons of weddings (my mom played the organ for a zillion weddings and I went to most of them!). I've seen it all: super expensive lace and satin, to gauze, to casual tea length, to jeans/t-shirts, to Victorian style (men and kids, too), to cowboy attire. One couple wore leather jacket biker's attire.

It is just frustrating to me that strapless gowns seems to be all that is available in almost any store. Now, if you go to a Mormon site like Eternity Store, you start to find dresses that have some style and variety. I'd like to see more Renaissance styles myself.

My oldest dd (20yo) loves to 'look' at wedding dresses, but the ones she finds that she likes the most are at Goodwill/thrift/resale stores. She likes the 70's hippie styles with the bridal hat w/ veil. If that's what floats her boat, I'm good with it. :001_smile:

The poll seems to be along the lines of: "if you say no to strapless dresses then you don't want the bride to have what she wants" and that's just not where I'm coming from.

What says the hive?!?!

I put "other." They can look pretty, but I"m always afraid that someone is going to fall out of them!

I don't like the strapless gown look at all. However if someone wants to wear one, more power to 'em. Just not for me. :)

:iagree:

I think a bride should wear what she wants on her day, but I couldn't wear anything strapless. My b00ks would fall out and my arms resemble the arms of the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man (remember Ghostbusters?).

the bride should wear what she likes. I am a large chested mama and was even before baby and rocked a strapless dress :)

You did - it's beautiful.

And please, I did not start the thread to tear anyone apart. (The tag is harsh, IMHO). I was thinking trends - stuff we thought was cool in the 80s we shudder at, etc. My intention was not being ugly or judgmental - more reflective about what I see in current culture. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You did - it's beautiful.

And please, I did not start the thread to tear anyone apart. (The tag is harsh, IMHO). I was thinking trends - stuff we thought was cool in the 80s we shudder at, etc. My intention was not being ugly or judgmental - more reflective about what I see in current culture. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Oh don't even worry about it lol, I didn't notice the tag until you mentioned it. In my wedding dress I felt like the most beautiful woman in the world and that imho is what matters most. I don't care if someone wears a burlap sack over their face if they feel beautiful that is what matters on their wedding day (in addition to all the other stuff, loving your spouse, etc so on and so forth)

While many of these gowns are lovely, I just think that a wedding (especially a church wedding) should have a little less skin showing. I know that when I got married less than 20 years ago, we were not allowed to show our shoulders at our church wedding.

Yes, around here anyway, that's still pretty common in the Catholic church. If the bride or the bridesmaids are "bare" on top, they can wear a little shawl or jacket or something in the church and then remove it for the reception, if they choose.

Yes, around here anyway, that's still pretty common in the Catholic church. If the bride or the bridesmaids are "bare" on top, they can wear a little shawl or jacket or something in the church and then remove it for the reception, if they choose.

interesting...maybe i was in a more progressive area but our ceremony was at a Catholic church and they had no rules governing attire....

but I think it's frustrating that there is a lack of other styles available. Not everyone looks good in a stapless dress. I know I would not. I am narrow up top and being strapless just looks wrong on me. I think that most of the styles at the shops are stapless leaving the bride to feel like there aren't many options.

i do agree with this that there should be more styles besides strapless and off the shoulder which give the same effect.

All brides and all babies are, by definition, beautiful.

I'm firmly in the Anne of Green Gables "I love puffed sleeves" camp & while I know they're not fashionable now, I still think they looked good.

Come on - it's some of the 70's wedding photos that can be a bit cringeworthy (pls - nobody here who got married in the 70's take umbrage; I'm sure yours are lovely!). My uncle has a huge 'fro and all his attendants are in pale baby blue tuxes :lol: The girls - I was a bridesmaid - are in pale blue satin with this white feathery/fur trim thing which looks like cotton balls glued to us. I think even then we were having doubts about the look but ..... we're working it as well as we can.

Fishtail hems are not my thing but I see a lot of brides rocking those too these days...Many fashions look a bit silly to us a couple decades later but I have nothing against strapless dresses - just not on me. I look awful in strapless.....

I am just amazed that people even have opinions about such things. I just couldnt care less! Let the bride wear what she likes. I don't even like weddings much and don't understand the big deal and the need for such a show. My own wedding was small, intimate, in our backyard, and bring a plate of food to share. I wore something, I think :)