10 eggs

1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated

1/2 cup flour

1 stick butter, melted

1 tsp. baking powder

2 4-oz cans of chopped green chiles

1 pound small curd cottage cheese

1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs until light and lemon colored. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and melted butter. Blend until smooth. Stir in chiles. Pour mixture into a well-greased (buttered) 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 F for 35 min. or until top is golden brown and center appears firm.

8 slices white bread, cubed

1 lb Italian sausage links, casings removed and sliced

2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 c shredded mozzarella cheese

9 eggs

3 cups milk

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed

Place bread cubes in a greased 13 X 9 in baking dish; set aside. I large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

I have served this to my family and they loved it. I used regular ground sausage rather than links and I didn't have fennel seed. I fixed it for supper once and only refrigerated it for a few hours in the afternoon.

Our chooks are laying like mad and while i can give away eggs i would prefer that we ate them :D

So apart from quiche and meringue what other things can i cook that use LOTS of eggs, sweet or savoury, tried and true recipes would be wonderful.

Thanks a bunch

How sweet....we'll take some off your hands. I miss farm fresh eggs. Yes, quiche is good. What about deviled eggs as an appetizer. Homemade noodels. Boiled eggs, diced for salads. Scrambled of course.:D And....true, genuine pound cake. HTH! Sheryl <><

Bread Omelette

(Preheat oven to 325.)

1 c. bread cubes

1/2 c. milk

(Combine the two and allow to soak for 10-15 min.)

4 eggs, beaten

1/4 c. grated cheese

1/2 t. salt

Bread/milk combo from above

(Combine the above ingredients)

Melt 1 T. butter/margarine in an oven-proof skillet on medium, and add the egg mixture. Cook without stirring for 5 minutes or so and then place in oven for 8-10 minutes or until set.

I usually make three of these in a row and they make up the main dish at two meals. (Using a full 1 doz. eggs.) It's really fast and allows you to prep other stuff while it's in the oven.

Mama Anna

I scramble up a dozen every time we eat breakfast burritos. They are a favorite here so we have them for any meal.

Our favorite combo is scrambled eggs, fried diced potatoes, cheese, and sour cream but you can also add in anything you like including steak, sausage, bacon, refried beans, chorizo, salsa and guacamole.

Yes please!

Hadn't thought of Frittata i think that would go over well.

German Oven Pancakes sound interesting, off to google :)

Keep them coming.

We call those "Dutch Babies". Also, crepes. We do crepes with yogurt, which I know you make...., and 14 eggs. They freeze well. I do like the "vanilla yogurt" so you may want to add some vanilla and some sweetness if you want to use them with jam or syrup. (Ligonberry ...that's spelled incorrectly, ?? is good... with some whipped cream...as is apricot.... and anything else, really:-)

Our recipe calls for Oat flour (oat groats ground into flour) You can also use crepes without them being sweetened for Dinner things... like Caesar Salad...etc. We have restaurants here... that are just "Crepe" Restaurants:-)

You can make quiche mixture and freeze it... Did someone say Custard Pie? Our puppy loves raw or scrambled eggs:-)

Carrie:-)

Our chooks are laying like mad and while i can give away eggs i would prefer that we ate them :D

So apart from quiche and meringue what other things can i cook that use LOTS of eggs, sweet or savoury, tried and true recipes would be wonderful.

Thanks a bunch

Alton Brown's Coconut Macaroons drizzled with Chocolate.

To.Die.For.

If you would like some hideously, delightfully unhealthy desserts, try searching for Brazilian recipes. I gave my book away so can't offer tried and true recipes, but what those guys don't do with egg, coconut and condensed milk isn't worth doing!

Then there's my batik cake...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139662&highlight=Batik+cake

:)

Rosie

Thanks a bunch

Step 1) Invite my son and his friends over.

Step 2) Scramble 1/2 dozen eggs per boy.

Step 3) Run out of eggs fast.

(Does anyone else have boys like this????)

My friend makes creamed eggs out of hard boiled eggs and serves it over toast or bisquits. My family was not fond of it, but it's a thought.

You can also add hardboiled eggs to tuna or chicken salad for sandwiches if you get tired of straight egg salad.

Hard boiled eggs keep for quite a while in your fridge.

Lemon Greek Soup--for my family of four, I double the recipe and have some leftover.

6 c. chicken broth

1 cube chicken bouillon

1/3 c. rice, uncooked

1/2 c. celery, finely diced

1/2 c. carrots, finely diced

1/4 c. onion, finely diced

1 c. chicken, cooked and cubed

2 T. butter

2 T. flour

3 eggs

3 T. lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

In large pan, combine chicken broth, bouillon cube, rice, celery, carrots and onion. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in chicken. Remove from heat and set aside.

In small pan, melt butter and stir in the flour. Cookfor 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add into broth mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.

In a bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Beat in lemon juice. Slowly add in 2 cups of thickened broth mixture. (This is so the hot mixture doesn't cook the eggs.) Slowly add egg mixture to rest of soup mixture in large pan, stirring constantly. Heat gently until soup thickens enough to coat spoon. DO NOT BOIL. Serve when hot. Adding pepper will soften the lemony taste.

or as we call them, Puffer Pancakes. NOT a "healthy meal" but delicious.

Ingredients:

1/3 butter

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup flour

Your choice of garnishes/sides:

Freshly-grated nutmeg

Lemon wedges

Powdered (confectioner's) sugar

Cinnamon

Hot fruit sauce

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 425 F

Once heated, place butter in a heavy, high-sided casserole dish and place in the oven to melt the butter. I use a 3 - 4 qt stonewear round casserole. You need the high sides so the pancake will puff up.

While butter is melting, quickly mix the eggs in a blender (on high) until lemony-yellow. Slowly stream in the milk and vanilla, blend on high until frothy. Gradually add the flour, blending on high for 30 seconds after all flour has been added.

Remove the hot dish from the oven, pour in the batter, place back in oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed up on sides and golden brown.

Cut into wedges and serve immediately. I like to sprinkle mine with powdered sugar and freshly-squeezed lemon juice.

some of our favourites:

lemon meringue pie

pavlova

chocolate mousse

repeat ; )

its almost winter solstice here, and our chickens have slowed waaaaay down. but come mid-summer, i'll be asking you to remind me what you did with them all (by then it will be last summer for you ; )...

ann

You can also freeze some...crack them, add some salt.

This is the second post I read that says to freeze and add salt. Is there a reason for adding the salt when you freeze them, or is that just to save time later? We're building a chicken house soon and I'm looking forward to eggs, so I'm curious to know.

Pioneer Woman's Eggs Florentine Casserole. To die for and it uses 18 eggs.

Edited by tdeveson

We generally make pancakes when we have an egg surplus. My recipe is extra simple: beat 10 eggs, add 3 cups of flour and 3 glasses of milk. The result is a plain pancake that can be eaten with either sweet or savoury fillings.

I also make a silver beat (or spinach) pie that uses about 8 eggs.

I used up 10 dozen making fruitcakes. And 4 dozen more today. Unfortunately, the Great Pyranees figured out how to get into the chicken coop yesterday--They can eat a LOT of eggs! Their coats are nice and shiny. And then dd#4 brought in eggs today but left them in the backporch with the Border Collie...

I just made fruitcake for the first time and about choked when I read "15 eggs, well beaten". I would have expected it for homemade sponge cake or angel food cake (which are delicious, BTW, and a great way to use up fresh or frozen eggs) but never dreamed to find that many in fruit cake.

Jelly roll, or variations

Deviled eggs

Pasta dishes with eggs-ie Spaghetti Carbonara...which I've never tried because I'm not a big plain egg fan.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/classic-spaghetti-carbonara-recipe/index.html

I know it's off season, but my kids are game for coloring eggs any time of year. :)

When I gave up shampoo I used eggs adn vinegar for the transition hair. I now use two eggs and a splash of vinegar once/week and plain water the rest of the days.

Probably not what you meant but it does use eggs.

Also, quiche is nothing new but I made one the other day and instead of using a pie crust, I made a potato crust instead and it was a hit with my family. I just shredded a couple of potatoes into ice water, rinsed, drained, dried them. coated my cast iron skillet with a bit of butter and pressed the potatoes into a crust like a graham cracker crust. I baked it in the oven till it was just begining to brown onthe bottom. I took it out, put in the egg mixture, put the skillet on a cookie sheet and baked till the quiche was done. It was really good!

I like to call it... potato-egg. My kids love it.

Slice up a bunch of potatoes, chop an onion, add salt or garlic salt and pepper, fry in a deep pot with a LOT of butter until cooked. Meanwhile, beat up a bunch of eggs as if you're going to make scrambled eggs (add water/milk, salt, pepper). When potatoes are cooked, pour egg over the potatoes. Stir slowly so all the egg eventually gets cooked. When it's done, sprinkle cheese on top, take off burner, cover with lid and let it melt. Dish onto plates and squirt ketchup on top.

It would be good with bacon or sausage in it, but we usually don't add meat. For my family I usually use about 7 potatoes and a dozen eggs.