Menu

Any great ideas for a Christmas gift for husbands? (men, speak up!)

No help from me. My dh said the only gift he would like is more time alone, with me naked, and no kids around. But that hasn't happened since the baby was born almost 3 years ago. Other than NFL videos of his favorite team that he could watch ad nauseum I am at a loss as well.

No help from me. My dh said the only gift he would like is more time alone, with me naked, and no kids around. But that hasn't happened since the baby was born almost 3 years ago. Other than NFL videos of his favorite team that he could watch ad nauseum I am at a loss as well.

:lol::lol: I think your dh represents all of husbandkind.

What are his interests?

Does he like to BBQ?

I got my DH the Big Green Egg - the Large size. He got it Thursday because it was his birthday and it's a combo gift. He is in heaven - and this is a man that does not get excited about much. But he loves to BBQ though so.....

The kids got him a Wii game (more for them I think, than him!) and I will probably get him some Egg-sessories for some things to unwrap at Christmas.

Does he have any hobbies? I've gotten things for dh for woodworking in the past. I handed him the wood working catalog and he circled everything in there that he liked. Then I took it with me down to the woodworking store or to Home Depot and then chose one or two things.

Not so many hobbies, in fact, none really. He runs his own business, which is almost like his hobby. He does like books on tape, so there might be something there. I just feel like everything I think of is terribly boring and not special enough. He loves electronic stuff, but not being a techie, I could never possibly know what he wants in that area.

I think I want to surprise him with something creative, but maybe that's asking too much.

What are his interests?

Does he like to BBQ?

I got my DH the Big Green Egg - the Large size. He got it Thursday because it was his birthday and it's a combo gift. He is in heaven - and this is a man that does not get excited about much. But he loves to BBQ though so.....

The kids got him a Wii game (more for them I think, than him!) and I will probably get him some Egg-sessories for some things to unwrap at Christmas.

He really hates to BBQ--not a real man, lol! We have a grill that goes basically unused all year. Too bad. Sounds like a great gift.

ETA: After reading more about this big green egg, I wonder if it would interest him as compared to regular BBQ...will keep exploring.

Edited by muffinmom

:lol::lol: I think your dh represents all of husbandkind.

:lol: So true!

My DH has a birthday this month, and these are the things he's getting (or could have gotten, since I couldn't do them all):

Tickets to a Broadway show he's been wanting to see (from me)

A Roku box (for watching Netflix videos on the TV, from his mom)

A Wii (from me)

Lots of bottles of wine (20% discount at the local shop if you buy 12--didn't get him this, but still might since the Wii is kind of a whole-family gift)

Really good knives (he loves to cook, but holding off on this one)

One year I put together a box of 'couple goodies' (massage oils, candles, incense, champagne and some unmentionables) and gave it to him privately since it wasn't suitable to be opened around our children. He has never forgotten that gift and mentions it every once in a while. He really, really appreciated the thought that went into it. Plus, it took some nerve for me to go shopping for such items. ;)

Oh, I also included a love letter. I just found out he has that letter tucked away in his wallet so he can read it every so often.

One year I put together a box of 'couple goodies' (massage oils, candles, incense, champagne and some unmentionables) and gave it to him privately since it wasn't suitable to be opened around our children. He has never forgotten that gift and mentions it every once in a while. He really, really appreciated the thought that went into it. Plus, it took some nerve for me to go shopping for such items. ;)

Oh, I also included a love letter. I just found out he has that letter tucked away in his wallet so he can read it every so often.

This is absolutely the sweetest idea yet!!!:001_smile:

Thanks.

I bet Dobela's DH would like this too.:lol:

I think I want to surprise him with something creative, but maybe that's asking too much.

hire a babysitter, get the "couple's kit" that is mentioned above, and then do the treasure-path idea....who has a link to that thread???!!!! The map on her body? c'mon -- SOMEone must've saved it,........ i'll go search.....

hire a babysitter, get the "couple's kit" that is mentioned above, and then do the treasure-path idea....who has a link to that thread???!!!! The map on her body? c'mon -- SOMEone must've saved it,........ i'll go search.....

It was Jenn in MO for Columbus Day---I'm pretty sure if that helps in your search :).

I'm getting my husband a valet, one of these. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16677680. He's seen them and always said that he'd put one to good use....no more laying his pants over the tub. :)

I also got him a 4g Sansa MP3 player.

And for the final gift, a new pair of flannel lounge pants.

He bought himself a plasma tv.

He does like books on tape, so there might be something there.

What about a subscription to Audible?

This year my dh is getting hand-knit socks and a puzzle (this is a tradition because his family always put together a puzzle on New Year's Eve). I'm also considering getting him a bird feeder or a new flashlight (needs one for work). Not very imaginative or special, but he tends toward practicality. We also don't get very extravagant gift-wise.

Cinder

My dh is a business owner too, and has no time for hobbies. He only asked for a few things, but they are:

Nora Jones CD

New shoes

Cigars (He smokes about one a month while piddling in the barn)

One of those gadgets that transfers Video to DVD. Can you tell I'm not techy? My 12yo dd is handling this one for me.

My husband is a sports photographer, so I got him a large digital frame that will mount on the wall. I intend to fill it with his best and favorite shots from his past 35 years of high school, college and professional sporting events.

He also talks on his cell phone far too often while he is driving. Hand-to-ear. :glare:

So I will be getting him one of those bluetooth/hands-free thingys. Obviously need to research that one a bit more. ;)

Edited by Crissy

My dh is a business owner too, and has no time for hobbies. He only asked for a few things, but they are:

Nora Jones CD

New shoes

Cigars (He smokes about one a month while piddling in the barn)

One of those gadgets that transfers Video to DVD. Can you tell I'm not techy? My 12yo dd is handling this one for me.

New shoes--the man is obsessed with shoes. But he probably already has too many!

My husband is a sports photographer, so I got him a large digital frame that will mount on the wall. I intend to fill it with his best and favorite shots from his past 35 years of high school, college and professional sporting events.

He also talks on his cell phone far too often while he is driving. Hand-to-ear. :glare:

So I will be getting him one of those bluetooth/hands-free thingys. Obviously need to research that one a bit more. ;)

This is a thought. He used to be into photography...maybe I could dig up some of his best shots and put them together. It might take more time than I have right now, but I could work on it for next year.

I'm sure my dh would love something like that too. So sweet that he kept the letter!

I just bought my dh a pair of wireless headphones that he can wear to watch movies late at night. You know the kind...he wants it loud & in stereo to get the full effect, but they aren't movies I care to see, so I go to bed...only to have my bed rattled by the explosions and battles downstairs. Hopefully he'll still get the stereo effect, but I'll be able to sleep better. :001_smile:

DH is getting a bag of 100% Kona Coffee, noise canceling ear muffs for shooting guns, a renewal to the Economist magazine, fireplace accessories, and a fireplace (we are installing a wood burning fireplace this year).

A few things from the past:

A nice bottle of his favorite hooch. Tequila, Vodka, Beers etc. And or nice glasses to best suit the beverage. Some snacks to go with it may be fun too.

A magazine subscription. There are a lot of magazines for just about any interest. I go to Barnes and Noble to find different ones each year. DH like Kipplingers and Money (financial advice mags), and the Economist.

A nice pack of steaks or smoked pork chops to eat after the holidays.

Auto mobile supplies-car wash, buffing paste, air freshener, scrubby brushes.

One year I had dh a custom cap made with a VW symbol and his custom licence plate embroidered on it.

The coffee mentioned above started because we visited a Kona Coffee farm and the Kona coffee in his stocking tradition is a 'reminder' of that vacation.

A nice universal remote

A digital weather station

Gift card to the car wash

A laptop

Solar lights for the yard

Books-humorous ones like Patrick Mcmanus.

CDs

Really nice slippers

New coat

Large face digital alarm clock

DH is getting a bag of 100% Kona Coffee, noise canceling ear muffs for shooting guns, a renewal to the Economist magazine, fireplace accessories, and a fireplace (we are installing a wood burning fireplace this year).

A few things from the past:

A nice bottle of his favorite hooch. Tequila, Vodka, Beers etc. And or nice glasses to best suit the beverage. Some snacks to go with it may be fun too.

A magazine subscription. There are a lot of magazines for just about any interest. I go to Barnes and Noble to find different ones each year. DH like Kipplingers and Money (financial advice mags), and the Economist.

A nice pack of steaks or smoked pork chops to eat after the holidays.

Auto mobile supplies-car wash, buffing paste, air freshener, scrubby brushes.

One year I had dh a custom cap made with a VW symbol and his custom licence plate embroidered on it.

The coffee mentioned above started because we visited a Kona Coffee farm and the Kona coffee in his stocking tradition is a 'reminder' of that vacation.

A nice universal remote

A digital weather station

Gift card to the car wash

A laptop

Solar lights for the yard

Books-humorous ones like Patrick Mcmanus.

CDs

Really nice slippers

New coat

Large face digital alarm clock

Wow. I don't even remember what I gave my husband last year for Christmas.:o Clearly, I'm not doing anything memorable.

Mine's getting a new Maglite flashlight. The really big heavy kind that's practically indestructible. He kept his old one by the bed and took it with him when he had to inspect the noises from the other room in the middle of the night. So maybe it's a self-serving gift...I'd like him to have something on hand besides the lamp! Not a very expensive gift (around $20 for a really nice one) but he'll love it. I also thought about getting him a fancy weather radio - the kind that is always in sleep mode until it alerts you when there are severe weather alerts from NWS. Again, maybe self-serving (we get a LOT of tornado warnings, only a few tornadoes thank God) but he's the kind that send us to the closet while he goes and watches the storm from the front porch so he'd think a weather station was pretty cool.

Good luck! I like the box idea.

Not so many hobbies, in fact, none really. He runs his own business, which is almost like his hobby. He does like books on tape, so there might be something there. I just feel like everything I think of is terribly boring and not special enough. He loves electronic stuff, but not being a techie, I could never possibly know what he wants in that area.

Dayminder/Planner

Franklin Covey has electronic ones too. You don't need to be a techie to buy one.

Maglite (comes in all sizes)

If you live in an area where it snows, get sleds for all of you - they have neat ones at the Vermont Country Store. This is more of a whole family thing but if he has fun sledding with the little fry, he may enjoy it.

For books on tape, I think audiobooks.com has a large selection.

Does he like to BBQ?

Oh wow! What an awe$$$ome gift!!!

I've got one of these myself, so I know. Forgive him if he adds a few do-dads like a plate setter, pizza stone, and an iron daisy-top.

And try to pace yourselves on the meat intake :lol:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
spellin

I've got one of these myself, so I know. Foregive him if he adds a few do-dads like a plate setter, pizza stone, and an iron daisy-top.

Bill

:lol:

Oh, my husband would love one of those!!! And so would I....

:iagree:

If he likes books-on-tape, a subscription to Audible.com and an iPod (or other MP3 player) would be great. That way he could choose books he likes and download a new one each month.

http://www.audible.com/

Jackie

If you decide to do something like this, you might also check into whether your library or state offers an electronic download service. My library belongs to a statewide site called ListenNJ, where I can plug in my card number and download up to five audiobooks at a time. It's a terrific service, and so convenient.

I've got one of these myself, so I know. Foregive him if he adds a few do-dads like a plate setter, pizza stone, and an iron daisy-top.

Bill

Well, he got the grill as a present on Thursday night and has already been back to the BBQ/grill store and to the grocery store twice for meat, different flavored chips, etc. He is DVR-ing some BBQ Pit competition show and has made a list of "egg-cessories" he wants.

We had new york strip and t-bone last night - hickory style ;) Tonight is RIBS (although he said he may wait until tomorrow so he has a chance to go back to the BBQ store and get the "rack" tool/egg-cessory ("better for slow cooking/indirect heat" blah blah blah)

I'm glad to see him having so much fun with it, despite the additional expense!!

I would likely say it's probably his favorite gift of all time (2nd would be some underwater scuba diver spear gun thingy I got him like 10 years ago).

This DH would like something like that! I'm not a photographer, but we have tons of picutres that I would love to have displayed in the home. Unfortunately, the large, high-definition ones are very expensive.

As an aside, we've thought of giving one of these which wirelessly syncs to a website to grandparents to allow us to provide them with updated photos. Unfortunately, these are still a little pricy.

Oh I just remembered - last year was the first time I felt like I really really got something that he thought was special. I got him the entire first season of "Get Smart"! (Who knew he was so easy to please?!)
Would you believe...I'm getting one of these this year? :D

Finally, if your husband does the repairs on your cars, the code readers for diagnosing systems problems have become *very* affordable recently. We bought several simple ones at Costco for relatives for $26. I'm getting a more advanced one for Christmas that Amazon had on a lightning deal. If you want to find them on Amazon or Google, search for 'OBDII reader'. Sorry, but I cannot recommend a brand or model since we have not opened any that we recently purchased. For reference, I bought a reader about 6 years ago that plugged into our computer serial port. It was over $300, but it has saved us, literally, thousands and thousands of dollars over the years. I can't tell you how many times it has prevented me from forking over $700 dollars to the Honda dealer for the repair they claim I need EACH AND EVERY time I take it in. Even if you take your car to the mechanic for the repairs, it's nice to know what codes are being spit out so that you do not get ripped off.

ETA: BTW, many shops charge $100 just to read the codes on your car ONE time! So if you pay $100 for the reader and you save ONE trip to the shop, it has paid for itself, ignoring the cost of the parts for the repair.

Edited by RegGuheert

Oh the car thing from Costco suggestion made me think of the other car thing at Costco. It starts your car if your battery dies. You keep it in your car and if your battery dies you don't need to get a jump from someone else's car. It is much safer to use.

Dh has had one of these for about three years now and he has used it many times to help other people. You know the frantic looking person in the parking lot with the hood up? Once he used it in the Castco parking lot to help a mom with a car full of kids whose battery had died & she went right in and bought one for herself.

It gives him peace of mind if he should ever need it and it makes him feel good when he gets to help others.

Amber in SJ

I have an excuse for calling it the car thingy; I don't drive.

- One inexpensive gift I usually receive from MomsintheGarden is a crossword puzzle or two. I usually am too busy to put one of these together, but try to do them between Christmas and New Year's. She usually picks up nice sets used for about $2.

- Blu-ray players are finally cheap this year. Unfortunately, the discs are more expensive than they were a couple of years ago when HD-DVD was competing. If your husband wants a Blu-ray player, he probably want to be involved in picking on out. Just a guess... :tongue_smilie:

- As a PP posted, the in-car starting-systems are nice. But I never viewed them as husband gifts but rather for wives, mothers and MILs! How's that for a sexist comment? What's funny is that I drained the battery in my Honda a couple years ago. Well, I had BOTH jumper cables and the starting battery in the car and COMPLETELY forgot about the latter, which would have been much faster and easier. Instead, I wandered around for about 30 minutes with my cables until someone agreed to start me. Men!

I've got one of these myself, so I know. Forgive him if he adds a few do-dads like a plate setter, pizza stone, and an iron daisy-top.

Bill

Bill, can you explain to me how this egg thing works and what you can do with it? He doesn't really enjoy gas grills, but he might be interested in this depending on how it works.

My dh has his birthday this month also. So here are the gifts he is getting:

A Sodastream machine, with the Dr. Pepper equivalent mix. He loves his soda and this will be great for our rv. No cords, no batteries, and not a lot of cans to lug around. Plus it's healthier (no HFCS). http://www.sodastreamusa.com/ I ordered from Sears.

Hiking shoes, his are all worn out.

Wool Slippers

A spotlight flashlight (very powerful). http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8187724

Swiss Army knife

Ipod Touch

Not all of this is from me.