Menu

What are your thoughts on oceans/continents

Do you know your continents and oceans?  

1. 1. Do you know your continents and oceans?

• Yes, I know them and can list them or place them on a map.
    • Yes, I know them and can place them on a map.
    • Sort of, I know oceans, but not continents.
    • Sort of, I know continents, but not oceans.
    • No, I don't know them all, but wish I did/feel I should.
    • No, I don't know them all and feel such trivial knowledge is a waste of my time.

Ok, here's the scene. A person on the street stops you and offers you $10,000 if you can correctly list the continents and oceans or if you can correctly put them on a map. He said it's ok if you miss the 'latest' ocean (Southern) since you're old enough to have missed it as part of your education. He also says it's ok to call Oceania by another name (for the same reason).

Would you cash in or not?

For what it's worth, here's the list (didn't have to be in this order):

Continents:

Africa

Antarctica

Asia

Europe (could be ok combined with Asia as Eurasia)

North America

Oceania (ok as Australia)

South America

Oceans:

Arctic

Atlantic

Indian

Pacific

Southern (optional due to its newer designation)

I'm purely curious as to the stats - not trying to get any sort of argument as to who's answer is right or wrong.

I'd have missed the Artic Ocean. (Too old for the Southern Ocean and I would have called Oceana Australia.) I know there are four oceans but I just couldn't remember the Arctic Ocean! The continents wouldn't have been a problem.

LOL Me too.

But I probably didn't know them as well when I was the age of the children in that other thread. ;)

I was a map/globe geek. My Mom was a teacher, and the teacher supply store had these inexpensive outline maps by continent (without country names listed) and I used to beg her to purchase them so I could test myself. :lol:

Bill

I was a map/globe geek. My Mom was a teacher, and the teacher supply store had these inexpensive outline maps by continent (without country names listed) and I used to beg her to purchase them so I could test myself.

I didn't want to be a map/globe geek. My Mom WAS the teacher. I remember every summer she'd pick a continent and we'd have to memorize the countries and capitals. She was a slave driver. She's my hero now. :D

Why isn't Budapest listed as an option? Oh wait, that's the other thread.....

I pick "CALL Police and report scam. Especially if he offers to wire me the money directly to my bank account. And tells me he's related to the exiled ex president of Nigeria (which I can place on a map, thank you very much)."

Really, do we need to hash this out more? One person's trivia is another person's cultural core. If you're asking whether I think this is important, I'd say yeah, sure. But the list of things which are important to know is pretty darned impossibly long and the reality is that most people will not get to it all. Or will get to it & forget it.

There is no ONE book of all things you should know in order to be a good/smart/respected/likeable person, no matter what Hirsch says - mostly because of easy access to information and the vast expansion of our horizons. It's not enough to know about your own tribe & traditions. Now I have to know about every one else's too!

I do think the WTM is a great starting point to try and grapple with all this stuff though. :D

Show me the money! I believe that knowing the oceans and continents is quite rudimentary. I made up a song and taught my kids the continents when they were quite young (first or second grade, I think). The oceans are a bit more subjective, since there aren't distinct boundaries. But, they could easily plunk down the names in the middle of the space, and be correct.

Of course, since I had never heard of Oceania or the Southern Ocean at the time I taught them, they got my "version". I don't know if they've picked up on those or not.

I was a map/globe geek. My Mom was a teacher, and the teacher supply store had these inexpensive outline maps by continent (without country names listed) and I used to beg her to purchase them so I could test myself. :lol:

Bill

We are a map/globe family. :001_smile: I had a friend (was it you?) who knew all of that easily as a child. His mother had puzzles, maps, place-mats and the like all over their home. He would tell stories about how he & his brother would dump out tray puzzles and race to see who could put them together fastest. He ended up at Bates and he's a PhD chemist. Who knows geography!

My chemist (not the Bates guy) dh keeps hoping that Elements placemat we have will pay off someday. :lol:

Edited by LibraryLover

I thought I could do it until I read your notes. I guess I should stop buying my books used.

There's a Southern Ocean? Where's that? I always wondered how these oceans could all have different names when it's all really one big body of water. I'm also confused by the whole Europe/Asia thing. What is the dividing line exactly?

Oceana? I would have thought that was a science fiction reference.

I would collect $10,000. We use Sonlight and specifically we listen to the Geography Songs CD that came with our Core. Even my 6 year old knows the song and my 3 learn quite well from these types of songs.

North America

South America

Europe

Asia

and Australia

Africa

Antarctica

These are the continents

Indian

Arctic

and the Atlantic

and the Pacific

are the oceans

Indian

Arctic

and the Atlantic

and the Pacific

are oceans

We also have a shower curtain world map on our kitchen wall and were discussing the oceans last night.

Yesterday my 6 year old said, I found Turkey. Just like the sandwich I'm eating! I said what's between Turkey and where we live. I expected to hear the Atlantic, but he said Spain. He was right. I said which ocean and he found the North Atlantic (north and south Atlantic and Pacific are designated on this map).

He made up his own game where everyday he tries to find a place on the map and then he quizzes us to see if we know where it is! He then said, did you know you can go from Greenland to Russia fast by going over. I said going over what? He said the world like on the globe I broke! He did just break the cardboard based quite old globe that I had bought for $3 when a local school was closing. I asked which ocean and he said the Arctic of course, duh!

He asked for a globe for Christmas to replace the one he broke, but please mommy buy one that is so strong it won't break. :lol:

Edited by girligirlmom

I'm also confused by the whole Europe/Asia thing. What is the dividing line exactly?

The dividing line is the Ural Mountains & the Bosphorus Strait. As to why, I think the Straight Dope has as good an answer as any

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1466/why-are-europe-and-asia-considered-separate-continents

and it ties in nicely to the SOTW; even quotes Aristotle and Augustine. :)

We were discussing this yesterday and only knew about the Southern Ocean from watching Whale Wars. :001_smile:

I used to be a map geek but the world has changed so much since I was a kid my 11 year old can beat me at those "name that country" computer games.

I take is this is a spin off from another thread, perhaps the one on memorization. I have actually been using that lulu memorization resource on our vacation since my kids sort of enjoy being quizzed on general knowledge type things while we walk around etc. Are there other good lists -- not poems etc -- but facts that it would be good to have memorized? Hopefully with the answers since we were debating the Southern Ocean until I could come back and check Wikipedia. :tongue_smilie:

I know them. But I'll tell you what. Before I had children and started schooling at home, I was a little vague. There were kazillions of "holes" in my education that have been filled since bring home the boys. And I have quite a ridiculous amount of education, far more than any reasonable person needs, all acquired before children. :D

The dividing line is the Ural Mountains & the Bosphorus Strait. As to why, I think the Straight Dope has as good an answer as any

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1466/why-are-europe-and-asia-considered-separate-continents

and it ties in nicely to the SOTW; even quotes Aristotle and Augustine. :)

I was always flummoxed by this dividing line thing as well.

What is the dividing line exactly?

That is a real debate, not so much as to the Urals but in the Caucasus Mountains. Georgians will frequently insist that they are a European country. Further Mt Elburus becomes the highest in Europe if the S. aucasus is the accepted boudary.

I had to put sorta. I would have messed up on the oceans.

Arctic-I would have forgotten this one

Atlantic

Indian

Pacific

Southern (optional due to its newer designation)-I was taught South Pacific and therefore would have just lumped it in with the Pacific. Or am I way off and need to look this up. We just bought a globe last year and I don't believe this is on there. hmmm

I know them all, including Oceania and the Southern Ocean; but will confess that I wasn't sure which ocean was which (Pacific and Atlantic) until this school year. We've done a lot more geography this year than in previous years.

Now, how about the planets? Is it okay to include Pluto? :lol:

Holy flashbacks to 4th grade. Not only did we have to know them and place them but if we spelled more than 3 wrong on the test we got a 30 minute detention.

Back on topic. I wasn't aware of the southern ocean, I was taught in 4th gr it was the Antarctic ocean. I also was unaware of oceania, I always just said Australia. Thank goodness I have not gotten to this with the kids yet, I would have taught them the wrong stuff.

Bill

Have you purchased the "Uncle Josh's Outline Map Collection" CD? Sounds like you're going to need it. ;)

Although you can now test yourself here:

States of the US

50 State Capitals

Countries of Europe

Countries of Africa

Countries of the Middle East and South Asia

Globe Games

Oops. I checked the first option, but it's really the second. I didn't see that you were making option 1 OR and option 2 AND. I bet from the poll that a lot of people did that.

Actually, you probably voted correctly. Option 1 was meant to mean you could do them both (either one asked of you). Option 2 was meant to mean you could locate them on a map, but weren't so certain of your ability to just list them.

Even if people read them differently than intended, I don't think it skews the results much. It does, however, show how careful one has to be when writing polls! :)

We are a map/globe family. :001_smile: I had a friend (was it you?) who knew all of that easily as a child. His mother had puzzles, maps, place-mats and the like all over their home. He would tell stories about how he & his brother would dump out tray puzzles and race to see who could put them together fastest. He ended up at Bates and he's a PhD chemist. Who knows geography!

My chemist (not the Bates guy) dh keeps hoping that Elements placemat we have will pay off someday. :lol:

I think the best education we get comes from place-mats :D

Bill

Have you purchased the "Uncle Josh's Outline Map Collection" CD? Sounds like you're going to need it. ;)

Although you can now test yourself here:

States of the US

50 State Capitals

Countries of Europe

Countries of Africa

Countries of the Middle East and South Asia

Globe Games

I don't know the "Uncle Josh's Outline Map Collection". But I just played the Countries of the Middle East and South Asia on-line game, and that was fun!

Bill

Yes, I can list and locate them even using current standards but I really wish they would quit changing basic info like oceans, continents and planets. Now if we discover a totally new one, then yes I would like to hear about that but just reorganizing or redisignating them? Enough with that already.

Bill

Oh, me too! In fact, I used to quiz my poor college roommate, by choosing some obscure location on the map and challenging her to find it. Why she put up with me I'll never know. I sure appreciate her playing along!

I don't know the "Uncle Josh's Outline Map Collection". But I just played the Countries of the Middle East and South Asia on-line game, and that was fun!

Bill

It's a collection of blackline maps that you can print out to your heart's content. http://www.geomatters.com/products/details.asp?ID=85

I love to play those geography games, my kids like trying to beat my score. ;)

It's a collection of blackline maps that you can print out to your heart's content. http://www.geomatters.com/products/details.asp?ID=85

I love to play those geography games, my kids like trying to beat my score. ;)

I once found the exact outline maps I used as a kid (nothing special, other than "nostalgia" for me) as free printable on-line. I'll have to search.

Bill

Three years ago I would have struggled with the oceans but since teaching the kids I can sing our little songs and get them right every time :lol:

The Pacific is largest of all,

The Indian starts at Bengal,

The Atlantic ocean is always in motion,

The Southern and Arctic are small.

North America, South America joined in the West.

Europe and Asia meet together, and on Africa they rest.

Australia stands alone, floating down below.

And Antarctica is the loneliest, where no one wants to go

:D

I could get his $10,000 easily, but then I'd have to argue with him about some of the definitions, especially about the boundary between Asia and Europe, because I don't think there's one there (unless you want to argue that the Rockies or the Andes or the Himalayas are boundaries between continents like we seem to think the Urals are).

I teach my kids that there are different ways of dividing up the earth if you're talking about geographic or political or cultural distinctions. I think you miss a lot just by focusing on the typical (whatever typical is in your part of the world) way of dividing it up.

Yes, and then I'd buy a new couch with a slipcover this time and some Dramm hoses, the Cadillac of garden watering supplies.

I am not at all in favor of the content-neutral ideas pervasive in schools nowadays, but I think I made that clear in another thread.

;)

I was rather pleased to discover that my son knows all the continents while playing around with Seterra. (Thanks to whoever posted the Seterra link -- that was fun!) Now it's on to the countries! Encountering giant maps or globes is always fun too. We were very disappointed NOT to see the one at the National Geographic Museum in Washington DC. According to the lady we spoke with who worked the front desk, it hasn't been there for years, but everyone asks for it. She seemed to think it would be back in the near future.