Menu

DD is almost 12 & just started her cycle?

Still not sure what this is. :confused:

A menstrual cup is a type of cup or barrier worn inside the vagina during menstruation to collect menstrual fluid. Unlike tampons and pads, the cup collects menstrual fluid rather than absorbing it.

http://www.divacup.com/

http://www.keeper.com/

http://www.mylunette.com/

http://www.miacup.co.za/

http://www.softcup.com/

A menstrual cup is a type of cup or barrier worn inside the vagina during menstruation to collect menstrual fluid. Unlike tampons and pads, the cup collects menstrual fluid rather than absorbing it.

http://www.divacup.com/

http://www.keeper.com/

http://www.mylunette.com/

http://www.miacup.co.za/

http://www.softcup.com/

Adding -- you wear it internally, it collects the blood, and you empty it 1- 3 times a day. I love my divacup and wish I would have discovered them years and years ago.

she is lucky she doesn't live in the 1970s! Now *those* were like boats!

When my dd starts (she's 12 and a swimmer), I'm going to suggest ob tampons which I used as a teen/young woman. These are great!

jeri

:iagree: I think pads are horrid. I've never found one that is comfortable for me. I started using OB when I was about 13 and they saved my sanity. Let's just say if I were going to a deserted island I'd make sure I had plenty of these packed in my suitcase.

When our girls start their periods, I imagine we'll probably go with pads for a cycle or two and then OB tampons... The cup is fantastic for me, but requires an ability to insert it properly that may not be there for a 12 yr old (neither anatomically nor mentally ready). Out of curiosity, has anyone had a young teen who could use a menstrual cup?

When my daughter gets to that age, I'll give her the options (pads, fabric pads, tampons, cup) and let her chose. I'll probably encourage limited (ie. swimming) use of tampons because of the Toxic Shock Syndrome risk.

I use my Diva cup and an overnight pad combined, but I have a really have cycle and that's the only thing I've found that will contain leaks enough that I can leave the house. My cycle is so heavy I can't use tampons at all; my flow pushes them down.

Adding -- you wear it internally, it collects the blood, and you empty it 1- 3 times a day. I love my divacup and wish I would have discovered them years and years ago.

I had not idea anything like these existed! I'm so excited to check these out!

Wow, where have I been . . .

Blessings,

Lisa

I'd buy her a cup if/when she thinks she will be comfortable trying it. Be sure to check the size as some of them have slightly smaller ones for young women and larger ones for women who have had babies. If she is interested in washable pads, she can easily check out the variety on offer online. If she wants to use disposable pads, why not give her a few different types to try and see what she prefers? I think you can send off for free sample packs of some as well, if budget is a considerations. Personally, I will not buy tampons for my daughters as I believe they are a health hazard, but if your dd is going to use them I'd suggest making sure that she is aware of not wearing them for too long.

Edited by Hotdrink

My 16yo and 14yo use these:

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?item=165&catid=49&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D49

I use them also. They're more absorbent than the pads I got from other sources.

Be aware that their pads are handmade, so unless you order in-stock pads, it will take 8 weeks for them to arrive.

I've tried pads from 4 different places and these are the best.

My two older girls each have 4 not-so-good pads from another place and 4 pads from Mimi's Dreams/Saucy Tots. They go through the Mimi's Dreams pads first and then hope I do laundry quickly enough that they don't have to use the others.

I ordered pads for my youngest when she turned 11yo. She hasn't used them yet, but at least she has them for when she starts.

None of my girls are ready to use a cup. I would be perfectly fine with any of them using one, but they aren't ready. My 14yo could deal with it, but she has fine motor issues that would make removing the cup extremely difficult. She can barely manage to work the snaps on the pads.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

When I was preparing my daughter we went to the store and went down the aisle and picked out one of each of the major brands of "thin" and then when things started she tried them all and told me which brand she liked. Not the cheapest way to go (though all got used) but I think this is an important thing that deserves some choice and some money invested in it if necessary.

Blessings,

Lisa

I know, right?! I was vaguely aware of them for awhile, but I tried one brand (Instead) and couldn't get it "in." So I gave up for awhile. Then I bought a Diva cup and was sold. It was easy-peasy! And it's not "gross" to empty -- no more so than dealing with a tampon (!). Plus you don't have to empty as frequently as you have to change tampons. Anyway! Love them.

Did I say I love mine yet? :lol:

Blessings,

Lisa

I always hated wearing a pad, I felt like I was wearing a diaper. I really couldn't stand it when we lived in Florida because of the heat. Remember when pads were more plastic-like than they are now?

Tampons were better, but they were always a bit annoying. The didn't always sit right for me. After baby number 2, they didn't work so well for me either.

I heard about menstrual cups in another homeschooling group last year and the ladies (all older than myself) just went on and on about how great it was. I decided to try it for myself. I researched several brands and decided to try the Diva Cup.

I expected to have a hard time inserting it. No problem. It didn't gross me out at all, in fact, I found it less offensive than the tampons. And for 5 wonderful months I was really less annoyed about the whole ordeal and had no more "accidents". Well, until the "accident" that caused me not to need to use the cup for a while.

The TSS risk with tampons is due to the absorbency. Cups aren't absorbent. They just catch what's flowing and hold on to it.

The cups can spill, but it has only happened to me twice and that was while I was removing the cup. Removal is pretty easy.

I doubt that I could use a Diva cup because of the shape (long). I have a Keeper which is much shorter then the Diva. The link below compares the major brands of cups and has a picture of them all lined up next to each other at the bottom.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/648061.html

The TSS risk with tampons is due to the absorbency. Cups aren't absorbent. They just catch what's flowing and hold on to it.

The cups can spill, but it has only happened to me twice and that was while I was removing the cup. Removal is pretty easy.

I doubt that I could use a Diva cup because of the shape (long). I have a Keeper which is much shorter then the Diva. The link below compares the major brands of cups and has a picture of them all lined up next to each other at the bottom.

Thanks for that link!

Question... How do you clean the cup when you are in a public restroom, or do you just wait until you are home?

Thanks for that link!

Question... How do you clean the cup when you are in a public restroom, or do you just wait until you are home?

The cups can be worn for 8 hours (the Diva Cup site says 12), so you don't need to do anything with it in a public restroom. Just wait until you get home.

If you really must, you can carry a bottle of water (for cleaning only) and rinse it out in the stall and reinsert it.

When I do get my period (not since October 2002 - pg or nursing since then) I use washable pads from Mother of Eden (the ones who make Fuzzi Bunz) and have worn them post partum with all my kids. I am unable to wear tampons because I have such a light flow (as opposed to one pp with a heavy flow) that they are actually painful. For that reason I have never considered getting a cup - maybe I should reconsider.

Also, when the time comes, I will not let my daughters use tampons but I might consider a cup if I had experience with one and could help them if problems arouse.

Did not go through all the replies, but we have been very impressed with the new ultrathins by Always, they are Always something (Ultimate? Maximum?). They will be next to the regular Always pads and come in a variety of sizes. Even the long overnights are remarkably thin. They absorb more than any pad I've ever tried.

If I had it to do again (It's going to be a while before I need to use one) I would go with a shorter cup than the Diva. I'm pretty small and I think a shorter cup would be more comfortable for me.

I would definitely recommend one of the shorter cups for a young girl.

That's what my teen prefers also.

As far as the cup goes, I'd just wait until she asks or shows curiosity about it. Pushing her to use it before she's comfortable may just make her anxious about it.

I disagree. Why not offer it up? We help them learn to walk, talk, play catch, ride a bike.....

If you act like it's no big deal and it's one of the many options (as it is), then she can choose. Why on earth would she be 'anxious' about that one option versus pads or tampons?

My mom had a 'wait until they ask' policy. So I never asked. I figured out everything on my own and still do. I don't go to my parents for help - ever. The not offering information thing, to me, meant that it wasn't on the table as even a discussion option.

My girls 8 and 10 know all about menstrual cups and how much i love them. I have the tiny lunette and ladycup and have told them that one day, when they're ready for it, it's the easiest most comfortable option for managing one's period.

K

If I had it to do again (It's going to be a while before I need to use one) I would go with a shorter cup than the Diva. I'm pretty small and I think a shorter cup would be more comfortable for me.

I would definitely recommend one of the shorter cups for a young girl.

2nd. While many love their divas.....percentage wise, more are unhappy with diva's versus shorter cups like lunette. I've tried every single one on the market except for Mia. I like the lunette and the ladycup best. the large LC is the largest cup available volumewise. it's shorter and wider than the Diva and the silicone is the smooshiest of all of them. vv comfy. however some do have trouble inserting it b/c of the softness. and I do have some leaking with it. not enough even for a pantyliner, it's certainly not going to soak through anything....but just enough that it's there.

I stick with the lunette now.

K

My 14yo could deal with it, but she has fine motor issues that would make removing the cup extremely difficult. She can barely manage to work the snaps on the pads.

IME, removing the cup is much easier than snapping a snap b/c while you grab the end of it, you also bear down - your body really pushes it out with just a little help from your hand pulling/twisting it out gently.

doesn't take the focused strength of closing or opening a snap.

K

Ok, a couple of silly questions...why no TSS risk w/the cups and do they spill, either when they're in or when you're taking them out. Finally, how do you get them back out.

no tss risk b/c they're not absorbent. to get it out just put fingers in vjayjay, grasp end of cup, bear down to push cup out while you're pulling it out. as the rim is coming out, go slowly.....you can tip is backwards direcly into the toilet to empty it. or carefully lift it up to check flow level. empty. wipe it with tp - hold it in hand with tp. get pants back on.....go to sink, wash cup, go to toilet, sit, reinsert.

I so so rarely (maybe twice) have had to empty it in public. I just do it twice a day....am and pm. my flow is 'heavy'. not uber heavy but completely filling the cup twice a day for 2 of my five days.

In a public restroom....wash hands. enter stall, remove cup over toilet, empty, wipe off cup with tp/paper towel - whichever - reinsert.....off you go!

:)

K

When our girls start their periods, I imagine we'll probably go with pads for a cycle or two and then OB tampons... The cup is fantastic for me, but requires an ability to insert it properly that may not be there for a 12 yr old (neither anatomically nor mentally ready). Out of curiosity, has anyone had a young teen who could use a menstrual cup?

I'm wondering about this too. I LOVE my Moon Cup, and I would like to encourage DD to try one when the time comes, but I worry about finding the right size. I got the small size (I labored twice but ultimately had c-sections) and it is very small and comfortable-- I could see it working for a young girl but I'm not sure...:confused:

Edited by Firefly
typo