Menu

Alleged Fort Hood shooter paralyzed from waist down

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, regardless of whether they prove he has terrorist ties or not, the fact that he would spit on the oath he took and kill his fellow brothers & sisters in arms means he deserves to be treated as a traitor to his country.

I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

The UCMJ system is unlikely to actually put him to death. Only 5 people are on death row at Leavenworth and nobody has been put to death at Leavenworth since 1961. This is partly due to the large number of rights held by military prisoners and partly because the President, himself, has to sign the execution order. I think that is something those who haven't served in the military would be reluctant to do.

He'll be sentenced to life at Leavenworth.

Problem is, prisons don't have (usually) the accommodations that would be required for someone paralyzed from the waist down. He would need to be, at the least, in the prison hospital, for round the clock care...catheter, diaper changing, etc.

What a shame it would be if a sizable air bubble was somehow introduced in his IV line. :glare:

Problem is, prisons don't have (usually) the accommodations that would be required for someone paralyzed from the waist down. He would need to be, at the least, in the prison hospital, for round the clock care...catheter, diaper changing, etc.

I would think this would be a greater punishment than death.

I would think this would be a greater punishment than death.

No, because sooner or later, he's going to gain independence to a degree. In a wheelchair, need assistance, but he won't be bedridden. If the bullet had been higher up, and cost him use of all his limbs...someone had lousy aim.

No, because sooner or later, he's going to gain independence to a degree. In a wheelchair, need assistance, but he won't be bedridden. If the bullet had been higher up, and cost him use of all his limbs...someone had lousy aim.

I guess I don't want to go here. I am sorry for the people who died so terribly and the loved ones they left behind. That's all i got.

Well, right now, we don't even know that he's paralyzed. His attorney is saying he *might be* paralyzed. But I do tend to agree, too bad he was shot by civilian officers instead of MPs.

He is a military officer who committed a crime against military personnel on a military base. He will not be tried in the civilian federal court system. He will be tried in the military system. Military personnel have a lot of rights unique to the UCMJ system.

I think that he deserves a fair trial and, if found guilty, needs to live his life out in prison.

I do not support the death penalty.

Normally, I'm on the fence. However, when someone sees fit to hand out the death sentence to many people, I lose what hesitation I have over the death sentence. Do unto others...

I just don't see why his life should be more valuable than those he took. Its not like there's any doubt as to his guilt.

Looks like no matter how his trial goes, he will be fully supported by tax payer dollars for the rest of his life.

I guess that's the price we pay as a society for the right to live in a more or less safe environment. I'm sure not overjoyed at the prospect, though. I can think of many better things to be done with my tax dollar.

The UCMJ system is unlikely to actually put him to death. Only 5 people are on death row at Leavenworth and nobody has been put to death at Leavenworth since 1961. This is partly due to the large number of rights held by military prisoners and partly because the President, himself, has to sign the execution order. I think that is something those who haven't served in the military would be reluctant to do.

He'll be sentenced to life at Leavenworth.

This is my take on it too.

Well, right now, we don't even know that he's paralyzed. His attorney is saying he *might be* paralyzed. But I do tend to agree, too bad he was shot by civilian officers instead of MPs.

He is a military officer who committed a crime against military personnel on a military base. He will not be tried in the civilian federal court system. He will be tried in the military system. Military personnel have a lot of rights unique to the UCMJ system.

This happened at Fort Bragg in October 1995 and he was sentenced to death. He was granted a new trial at one point and was recently re-sentenced to life in prison.

I just don't see why his life should be more valuable than those he took. Its not like there's any doubt as to his guilt.

I don't think anyone thinks his life is more valuable than the lives he took.

And I have to admit in this case there seems no chance he's not the guy who did it, so my usual concerns about executing someone who was wrongly convicted don't apply here.

But I think there is a moral cost to killing someone. Even when they "deserve" it. And I am hesitant about accruing that cost as a society and especially for the individuals who have to carry out the sentence.

The military will try him and he will end up in Leavenworth. I personally would rather he serve a life sentence in Leavenworth. Granted those in Leavenworth are criminals, but they were soldiers first. Soldiers wouldn't be too kind to someone who took the lives of their own. I think being there would be a start to getting what he deserves.

The military will try him and he will end up in Leavenworth. I personally would rather he serve a life sentence in Leavenworth. Granted those in Leavenworth are criminals, but they were soldiers first. Soldiers wouldn't be too kind to someone who took the lives of their own. I think being there would be a start to getting what he deserves.

He's an officer, he won't live in the general population.

I thought this too, but I honestly can't remember. The online information I found on the web was that prisoners are separated by how much supervision they require. Either way, I would hate that his rank would benefit him in any way. I think killing your fellow soldiers definitely deserves having your rank completely stripped.

This is so disturbing. My husband and I both are combat veterans. The thought that someone would do this to his/her fellow soldiers is reprehensible. I just have no words.

Don't they always get busted down to E-1, before they get any time at Leavenworth?

Don't they always get busted down to E-1, before they get any time at Leavenworth?

When my husband was at Leavenworth for a school they toured the prison. Military officers are kept out of the general prison population. I can find out more about how this works from DH when he gets home from work.

eta: This isn't beneficial in all ways. They have fewer freedoms than other prisoners.

But I think there is a moral cost to killing someone. Even when they "deserve" it. And I am hesitant about accruing that cost as a society and especially for the individuals who have to carry out the sentence.

I do wonder at the cost to society if this guy ends up being percieved a martyr. I mean, we don't know that he did this for jihad (or however you would put that), but it could easily be construed that way. How hard would Osama have to work to make it seem that this guy had martyred himself on American soil? What sort of scary gate would that open up?

I hope the Congressional hearing bring to light how this is a terrorist crime and how he should be tried in the Federal court system as a terrorist. He definitely should get the death penalty.

Chilling. If he is a terrorist, then the jihadist extremists have managed to essentially suicide bomb us on American soil.

Am I the only one that sees huge ramifications from this well beyond the incredible loss already experienced?

IMO, regardless of whether they prove he has terrorist ties or not, the fact that he would spit on the oath he took and kill his fellow brothers & sisters in arms means he deserves to be treated as a traitor to his country.

I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

:iagree:100%!

This is going to no doubt bring a sh*t storm of criticism down on my head, especially since most of you posting in this thread seem to want to eviscerate this guy, but nevertheless, I feel the need to say it. Deep breath. Here goes:

What he did was heinous. I don't support the death penalty, so I just can't say so quickly that he deserves to face a "firing squad" or have an air bubble put into his IV line. But he does deserve a fair trial and punishment, whatever form that takes.

HOWEVER, from most accounts I read, his colleagues and superiors in the military had been waving red flags around this guy for YEARS. Evaluations were done, letters were written, grave concerns were voiced, and still, nothing was done. This guy was, among other things, mentally ill, and it seems from the media coverage I've heard and read that several years ago his peers were worried that he could be homicidal. His ties to terrorists were investigated several years ago.

I don't know....

I just don't think he was a stable guy, you know? I think he had lots of issues that were overlooked or minimized by the military. I"m not minimizing what he did, but it sounds like it really didn't come as that big a surprise to some folks who had dealth with him in the past, and I think some responsibility. It seems to me that somewhere in this guy's past, SOMEONE should have intervened and either forced him to get some counseling himself or stripped him of his post/position/whatever the military calls it. No, you can't control everyone's actions. But if there is a long trail of red flags waving furiously, it seems like someone would have taken a bit more heed prior to now. Please understand I"m not defending what he did, but I do think that the tragedy here doesn't lie only with those who were his victims.

Now, those are just my personal, random thoughts. I fully realize that 99% of you will vehemently disagree with me.

Flame suit on!

astrid