Menu

Help me deal with handling raw meat?

It really skeeves me out.

But I want to be able to roast a chicken & cut it up & get all the meat off...even more now that I read the thread with saving money.

I just start gagging sometimes and then I get theses images in my head and I can't even eat the meat once it is cooked.

I am ok with boneless chicken, BTW.

It creeps me out too. I either use gloves, really big forks so I don't have to touch it, or I ask my husband to rinse it, put it in a pan, and stick it in the fridge the night before so I can cook it.

He does the turkey for Thanksgiving. I can't stomach touching it.

btW, if you have a BJ's or Sam's Club near you, they sell chicken that is already roasted for $5.00. We can get 2-3 meals out of one of chicken -- more if we use it only for casseroles or soups.

I used to not be able to eat meat that had the bone in it when I was a teenager. Felt too much like eating an animal, I guess (if that makes sense, lol). I guess I just grew out of it.

That's a hard one. I know it used to creep me out touching raw meat, but I've been cooking for a family since I was twelve, so I guess I just got used to it. I think the rubber gloves are a good idea. I'm sure you could find some cheap disposable ones; that way, you won't have to actually feel the raw meat.

I remember when I was about 16 or so, I cooked my first Thanksgiving dinner. When I found out there was a bag of 'innards' stuck in the turkey, I alomst lost it. :tongue_smilie:

I remember when I was about 16 or so, I cooked my first Thanksgiving dinner. When I found out there was a bag of 'innards' stuck in the turkey, I alomst lost it. :tongue_smilie:

The first turkey I cooked I didn't even know about the innards bag and cooked the turkey with the bag still in it. Needless to say, that bird hit the trash.

Disposable gloves...you can get them at a health care store if you can't find them anywhere else.

Also, a touch of Vick's under your nose, or other pleasant smelling ointment/drops, etc. Any health care worker I know keeps a tube of Vicks on them...eliminates odours that would otherwise have them ill. I learned it from a paramedic. ;)

That's what I want to be able to do b/c of the inexpensive price of a whole chicken.

But I have to touch it and rinse it and then when it is done, I am thinking about what it felt like raw. And I get the willies and can't even eat it.

Oh, so it's like a psychological problem??? :D

Tell me about your childhood :tongue_smilie:

Or make the man do it.

It's why we exist.

Bill

Interesting.

We butcher our turkeys and chickens each year. No one really wants to eat poultry on butchering day.

Y'all could come over next year and help. By the end of the day, you'll either be fainted dead away or completely over the raw meat willies.

:D

I know. Not a lot of help.

Jean

Gloves didn't help me deal with it at all. The smell gets me. And the sound - the cracking bones, thwacking skin against the meat when it was raw, the crunching, brittle skin after it was cooked...I took it as a sign that I might not be a meat eater after all. And it was chicken that sent me over the edge. If my family wants meat, they have to do everything from start to finish with it because I get the willies just thinking about it.

Interesting.

We butcher our turkeys and chickens each year. No one really wants to eat poultry on butchering day.

Y'all could come over next year and help. By the end of the day, you'll either be fainted dead away or completely over the raw meat willies.

Jean

:iagree:One week on my farm and you will be over it completely. There are MUCH grosser things then handling raw meat. All I can think about when I am doing that is how good it's going to taste! Honestly, I am so surprised that so many people have a problem with it. We are carnivores ya'll! LOL. ( I know some of you choose not to be, yah, yah, yah,.....) Anyway, I butcher my own chickens and rabbits from living to table top, so, this is obviously NOT a problem I would ever have. Good luck. I do think the rubber gloves is a good idea, though I don't use them.

I am pretty grossed out by raw meat, and anything with a bone in it just makes me feel barbaric.

Steak - not so much. I can do a fillet or something.

But raw chicken just disgusts me. I do use boneless skinless breasts in the crockpot, and am not a total vegetarian - I will eat meat (even with bones) in a restaurant or someone else's house. I will buy prepared meat, fillets, etc. But I really dislike dealing with raw chicken, especially with bones or skin. So we eat a lot of beans!

I want to thank everyone who responded. I appreciate the time you all took.

I actually never thought of rubber gloves...I'll give it a try.

I could stop eating mammals...I'm not sure I could give up poultry & dairy.

My youngest ds stopped eating "cow and pig" when he was 3. Then he stopped all meat a bit later and didn't eat any meat for years. He started eating poultry again a few weeks ago. I think he was always hungry, no matter what I gave him. Poultry seems to fill him up.

I think I've got to take my brain to another place when I'm dealing with meat.

DH would take care of dealing with meat for me but I want to be able to do whenever I need to and not wait/count on him. It's a timing thing, KWIM?

That's what I want to be able to do b/c of the inexpensive price of a whole chicken.

But I have to touch it and rinse it and then when it is done, I am thinking about what it felt like raw. And I get the willies and can't even eat it.

Raw meat skeeves me out, too.

Whole chicken is the worst because it feels like I'm bathing a baby when I'm washing it in the sink. I've done it twice and just can't anymore.

I'm flabbergasted at the lot of you! 8) You do know that eggs come from chicken bums........right?

Ummm...

"The hen turns part of the cloaca and the last segment of the oviduct inside out, "like a glove." The described red membrane is then everted inside of these organs. The egg emerges far outside, at the end of the bulge. So it cannot contact the walls of the cloaca and get contaminated by stools or urine. Moreover, the intestine and inner part of the cloaca are kept shut by the emerging egg, and their contents cannot leave when the hen strains to deliver the egg. Therefore, eggs are always clean as they are laid. However, sometimes a hen, stomping around the nest with dirty feet, will get the egg dirty anyway."

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/egghen.htm

Well, once it's cooked, it's no longer raw. You can cut it up then. It you use gloves, make sure they are the very thin surgical ones, otherwise you won't be able to get at a lot of the meat.

I used to be a little turned off, but not any more. I take a lot of pride in not wasting the animal life.

When it is cooked, I'm flashing back on when it was raw.

I get through the tasks most of the time. But some of the time, I just...get revolted...and then I need a break for a while. And I want to buy inexpensive chicken.

I know I need to toughen up.

Whole chicken is the worst because it feels like I'm bathing a baby when I'm washing it in the sink. I've done it twice and just can't anymore.

My little guy who ate no meat for a while was begging me not to cook a whole turkey b/c it reminded him of a baby.

Ummm...

"The hen turns part of the cloaca and the last segment of the oviduct inside out, "like a glove." The described red membrane is then everted inside of these organs. The egg emerges far outside, at the end of the bulge. So it cannot contact the walls of the cloaca and get contaminated by stools or urine. Moreover, the intestine and inner part of the cloaca are kept shut by the emerging egg, and their contents cannot leave when the hen strains to deliver the egg. Therefore, eggs are always clean as they are laid. However, sometimes a hen, stomping around the nest with dirty feet, will get the egg dirty anyway."

LOL! Sorry, but this made me chuckle. Our chicken coup does not get the nest boxes cleaned out all the time. The bird droppings are everywhere, and the eggs are rarely clean on the outside. But yes, on the inside, they are clean. The reason we aren't suppose to eat raw eggs, though, is that the hen can be infected and this can be passed on to the egg prior to the shell being added to it.

If we were to look at most foods, we could be disgusted. Beans straight from the field are not washed...etc. etc.

Thankfully our bodies are capable of taking a lot of the crud we eat and pass it straight through.

LOL! Sorry, but this made me chuckle. Our chicken coup does not get the nest boxes cleaned out all the time. The bird droppings are everywhere, and the eggs are rarely clean on the outside. But yes, on the inside, they are clean. The reason we aren't suppose to eat raw eggs, though, is that the hen can be infected and this can be passed on to the egg prior to the shell being added to it.

If we were to look at most foods, we could be disgusted. Beans straight from the field are not washed...etc. etc.

Thankfully our bodies are capable of taking a lot of the crud we eat and pass it straight through.

Yeah, don't we ingest pounds of non-food stuff in our lifetimes?

When it is cooked, I'm flashing back on when it was raw.

I get through the tasks most of the time. But some of the time, I just...get revolted...and then I need a break for a while. And I want to buy inexpensive chicken.

I know I need to toughen up.

It gets easier, or it gets harder and one become vegetarian. :D Good luck.

Ummm...

A++!! But I'm guessing that if raw meat skiveeys one out, that bum eggs, clean or not, have got to be up on the list.

My little guy who ate no meat for a while was begging me not to cook a whole turkey b/c it reminded him of a baby.

ME TOO!!!! I thought I was the only one who felt like that! DH totally rolled his eyes at me when I told him that :glare:

It's taken some time, but I've gotten to where I can roast your basic chicken without being too freaked. It did take practice though. I still haven't really learned how to bone a chicken, and I really want to learn that. I have a little trouble cutting through the joints though *blarf* I have a recorded episode of Good Eats where Alton talks you through it step by step. Eventually I'll try it!

I've been thinking about this thread. I think that living with the animals helps. Although they can be a beautiful animal and they can have personalities, caring for them is not a cup of tea. Each day I have to go out to the yard and take out the gross water and feeding trays and tug the big cage to clean grass, carefully watching that none of the birds gets caught at the back of the cage. They squawk and try to flap out of the cage into my face. They pick at each other--sometimes until they bleed--or they might choose the smallest bird or one with a bad leg and pick on it until it bleeds and often dies--even if we clip their beaks. I clean and fill the waterer and fill the feeding trays and return to water and feed the birds once more late in the afternoon. The meat chickens will eat until they drop dead, so before I can go to bed, I have to go outside and remove their food for the night.

When they were small, they were cute, but just a few days into the cute stage, they lose their cuteness. They are in a small container to keep the raccoons out, and I change their flooring often--but I cannot begin to keep ahead of the smell. I have to monitor that they are not having problems with flailed legs. I have to check the temperature often--95 degrees at first and slowly letting it lower over several days. It gets hot in the middle of the day, so I have to be out there several times making sure I don't cook them before their time--but if they get too cold, they will drop dead, too.

And then the turkeys. Dropping dead is one of their favorite activities. They cannot be raised on land that the chickens were on because turkeys can die of diseases that is in the dirt under the chicken cage--it may not even make the chickens sick but they may carry it and pass it on to the turkeys. One year several of them died because we had a dry summer and they got a blood infection from the biting insects. I learned that I needed to watch for bugs and, at times, even sprinkle them with bug stuff...although moving the cage more often usually took care of the problem.

Over all, I am SO THANKFUL that I do not have to take care of them any more by the time butchering day comes. I am thankful for the meat. I am thankful that we could raise them and give them a healthy life, I am thankful that we can raise them and have these beautiful animals here on the farm--but I am also very ready to have them in my freezer. We do our best to make the trip to the butcher block quick and painless.

It is part of the ebb and flow of life on the farm. It is part of living off the land--something a large majority of people in the U.S. have not experienced. I think that if everyone was more connected to the food and the land, they would see their world a bit differently.

FWIW,

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

It's really mind over matter. Swear. REFUSE to associate feelings/images/thoughts of gagging/grossness with prepping the meat.

Totally refuse it.

This works for me, although it might not work for everyone, though. But it's how I quit smoking and how I don't get motion sick.

Interesting.

Jean

I butchered my own bird and he didn't get eaten for a few months. And I hear you about being close to your food. We have hunters in my family and one of my first memories about being on a farm was watching a cow get shot and slaughtered.

*shrugs* It's life. It's food.

And I don't say that casually. People in meat factories get callous, but when you raise the cow you eat, the chickens you eat, there is a certain reverence for life, to take only what you need and make sure you aren't being joyful about the animal's sacrifice; not being wasteful or ungrateful.

I have 15 I am trying to finish and I can't wait! :iagree: They start to get smelly after a bit. We don't have too many that they start pecking...the pen is large and we let them outside to eat the buggies and grasses.

Our raccoon population is really bad (coyotes, too)--birds outside a pen are birds not in my freezer, for the most part. Letting them free-roam isn't a good option. We do have a big cage, and they get fresh grass each time we move it, but they still pick on each other. :sad:

Our raccoon population is really bad (coyotes, too)--birds outside a pen are birds not in my freezer, for the most part. Letting them free-roam isn't a good option. We do have a big cage, and they get fresh grass each time we move it, but they still pick on each other. :sad:

Dang birds! lol They are a strange lot, for sure! They seem happy, none the less. They are pretty gross, imo. We can't wait until it's time to say goodbye!

Over all, I am SO THANKFUL that I do not have to take care of them any more by the time butchering day comes. I am thankful for the meat. I am thankful that we could raise them and give them a healthy life, I am thankful that we can raise them and have these beautiful animals here on the farm--but I am also very ready to have them in my freezer. We do our best to make the trip to the butcher block quick and painless.

It is part of the ebb and flow of life on the farm. It is part of living off the land--something a large majority of people in the U.S. have not experienced. I think that if everyone was more connected to the food and the land, they would see their world a bit differently.

FWIW,

Jean

:iagree:

we grow our own meat. people ask my children ( who hand raise the animals) how can they bear seeing their animals killed. my children can't comprehend their attitude. by the time the cow / pig/ chook is getting close to buttering. they are no longer cute, they are lots of work, usually smelly, ugly and a pest ( as far as the kids are concerned. they are more than willing to help chop up the animal. I have even had children stop chopping up the pig because they just cut some meat that looked so good that they have to whip out the frying pan and cook it .

I have never washed a shop bought chook before cooking. I always take it out of the bag and put it straight into the baking dish and cook it. Do you wash other meat before cooking? I have never met anyone who does this before.:bigear: