Menu

Do your kids wear "school clothes" during school time

Do they wear whatever they want? I guess it doesn't make as much of a difference when you homeschool, unless your dc really wears his/her play clothes down to the threads.

When I was young (in ps) we had a definate distinction between school clothes and play clothes, of course. You took them off when you got home and changed into play clothes.

Since dd homeschools I don't have to buy as much "school clothes" though I do buy outfits that look really "back to schoolish" because she likes to dress that way.

Of course, she has also shown up to class as Cinderella, Ariel, a ballerina, and what appears (to me) to be a court jester.:biggrinjester:

Edited by Blessedfamily

Of course, she has also shown up to class as Cinderella, Ariel, a ballerina, and what appears (to me) to be a court jester.:biggrinjester:

I wouldn't change a thing! Imagination is one of the hardest things to hold on to as you mature......I'm proud of my kids, even my teen, and their great imagination.

We used to have all sorts of characters appear at class time and I just went with the flow....as they have aged they're less demanding that I address them as Your Highness or Superman, but it hasn't really stopped the dressing up. Of course Pajamas are also a very popular fashion around here....for mom too. Your post made me giggle and think that someday I should come down to class with a dress and tiara. Hmmmmm, maybe this week!

I didn't differentiate between "school clothes" and any other kind of clothes. I didn't really talk about "school," either. We were learning things, some of which came packaged in textbooks, most of which did not. We dressed for life, not for school, as life is forever and school is fleeting.

Do they wear whatever they want? I guess it doesn't make as much of a difference when you homeschool, unless your dc really wears his/her play clothes down to the threads.

When I was young (in ps) we had a definate distinction between school clothes and play clothes, of course. You took them off when you got home and changed into play clothes.

Since dd homeschools I don't have to buy as much "school clothes" though I do buy outfits that look really "back to schoolish" because she likes to dress that way.

I like to be dressed and I like ds dressed too. I let him wear what he wants but I have him keep his 2 pair of jeans without holes for going to town so he doesn't look quite so homeschooly. ;) I do the same thing for shoes....one pair for play another for going out. He is rough on shoes and jeans.

I wore a uniform for 12 years. It was surely convenient for my mother to get us dressed in the morning, I guess. :confused: But, my kids get dressed easily for me, so I don't see the need for a certain "type" of clothes for schooltime. My only pet peeve is that all their clothes get used, so I usually lay out two or three choices, and they pick which one to wear.

Other thing is with young ones, I'm not always exactly sure when school's going to break out, so I would hate to interrupt that with a wardrobe change.

2 of my 3 are still in pajamas right now. So, yeah, we don't much care.

I remember when my stepmother first started homeschooling my little sister (many years ago), she actually took her to a store that sells school uniforms and picked some out for her to wear at home while they did school. The people at the store clearly thought she was insane. She doesn't do that anymore, 3 kids later; I don't think it lasted long :).

My K-er is currently dressed as a woodland fairy. I think it must surely help aid her concentration.... :)

We do have a "no wings or wands at the table" rule, however. :)

LOL! Over the years I have homeschooled Darth Vader, Jega Fett, Power Rangers, knights, princesses, ballerinas and an elf. My kids love to dress up.

I usually make them get dressed before we start school, but we don't have separate school clothes for them.

This was my thought too! I make them get dressed.

We don't really have nice clothes and play clothes, either. If something is stained or has a hole, I recycle or toss it. If the kids have to dress up to go to an event, we probably don't want to go.

I have one kid who wears a tail as often as possible, and one who always carries superhero paraphernalia. I do insist they wear the cape/tail that matches the color scheme of their outfit if we're going out in public.

But you'll find my kids in cargo shorts and T-shirts all summer, cords and polos all winter. Me too, actually.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Our local supermarkets sell school uniform for a couple of pounds & then when the schools go back sell it off cheap. The girls have pounced on comfortable stretchy school trousers (think yoga pants style) for £1. Sometimes they choose to wear them on weekdays. Does that count as wearing 'school uniform'? Occasionally my youngest teams them with a 'school' polo shirt & 'school' cardigan & calls me 'Miss'.

School clothes? Half the time my kids aren't wearing any clothes. I do tend to get them to put on underpants for hygiene reasons (although dd 15mths has learnt to take of her diaper so I'm constantly putting it back on) but other than that it's whatever they feel like wearing. Dd 4.5yrs loves to undress and/or change clothes frequently, so I ask her to put clean stuff away and dirty stuff in the laundry before getting more things out, otherwise she'd have every item she owns all over the floor. But it doesn't really matter what they pick, it's all play clothes as we only get secondhand stuff.

Most days they have to get dressed, but we have no real play clothes/day clothes distinction. They just aren't allowed to wear their Sunday clothes.

I've found with my family, if we stay in our PJ's all day two things are bound to happen: 1. My inlaws or some other unexpected guest will show up uninvited. 2. We become lazy and don't do nearly as much work. We do have occasional PJ days, but not every day.

Everyone around here wears whatever they want to school. They usually aren't in their PJs, but do have on something comfy like sweats. We have to go out the door every day by 2:30 (except for my teenager), so everyone is dressed by then.

They do have play/around the house clothes vs. good clothes. They wear their good clothes out and to church, not around the house.

My boys (and my husband, actually) have a pair or two of jeans and a couple of sweatshirts or t-shirts that are designated work/play clothes. They wear them when they are wrestling in the backyard, playing football over in the school yard, painting, building, etc.

When were hanging out in the house, doing school work, cooking together, watching TV and whatnot, they wear their cleaner, better fitting clothing.

I require that my son wears underwear and at least a bottom. My daughter must wear a top of some sort and a bottom. That is the extent of our dress code. LOL

We have lots of days with ballerina's, princesses, fairies, spiderman, firefighters, doctors that appear at the table.

The baby usually is in some sort of clothes ... otherwise she takes off her diaper.

We have play clothes and nice clothes. That's the only distinction we make. My kids wear play clothes most days to do school work unless I've told them we have a doctor's appointment or field trip or something like that.

Same here.

My daughter has a thing for wearing holes in the knees of her pants. So she has jeans that she can wear around the house (almost worn through or worn through) and her new jeans, which are only for leaving the house. She is also permitted sweatpants at home as we don't go out in public in those.

My son has gotten stains on a few shirts that I wasn't aware of and able to treat so those are play clothes. He's got a few shirts that he is forbidden from wearing for school because he will get marker on them and the shirts are reserved for going out in public.

We have "day clothes" and pajamas.

Pajamas are just soft cotton pants and shirts -- right now the $3.50 ones from Walmart. I also have them wear character shirts like Playmobil and Lego as pajamas if they are worn or faded. Sweats are worn as pajamas, if they own any at the time.

Day clothes are jeans or shorts (Nathan likes wearing soft khakis as well) and shirts (which usually have stripes) that I get from Walmart and Target. Sometimes they wear sweaters in the winter. I try to buy them at the end of the season and save for next year, but I do buy at least one new sweater set and shirt set for them at the beginning of fall.

The "pajamas" are kept folded on a shelf in their wardrobe while the day clothes are the closet portion of the wardrobe, so there's never been any real discussion over it at all.

We do have a "no wings or wands at the table" rule, however. :)

Is that all? I had to ban: wings, wands, swords, daggers, bows, arrows, crystal balls, lightsabers, *wonders if I'm forgetting anything*

The 2 year old can bring his dino's to the table, but not for dinner. Although it's awfully cute to watch a dilophosaurus eat pasta. Not so cute when you have dinosaur prints running through your homemade biscuits or pizza crust.

I've also had to make a rule that says no matter who you are dressed as, you must put your given at birth name on your schoolwork.

These are all things that NEVER would have occurred to me before having children.

My oldest son often comes to school without a shirt. It drives me crazy, but he insists he's hot (it's Cleveland in November! Is he crazy? How did he ever survive in Florida?)

Edited by Dawn in OH

I require that my son wears underwear and at least a bottom.

This. But, he wouldn't be caught dead in his underwear alone anymore anyway.

My oldest son often comes to school without a shirt. It drives me crazy, but he insists he's hot (it's Cleveland in November! Is he crazy? How did he ever survive in Florida?)

Yes, here in FL, ds wears shorts year round. He puts on a shirt when we leave the house or if we have visitors.