Menu

WWYD: Neighbor's dog situation

We had a family of idiots move in behind us a few months ago. As soon as they moved in, they built a small dog kennel using the back of their garage and the back of our fence as two of the walls. The dog pen is about 10x3 and they have a large dog that lives in there; they can't see it because it is behind their garage, they never walk or play with the dog (why have the dog?!?). The dog barks like crazy any time my kids are playing in our yard. He has also started jumping on our fence and sticking his head over the fence when the kids are outside. I knew it wouldn't be long before he was in our yard.

Last night about 10, DH and I see this dog in our yard and he starts barking like crazy but when we opened the door, he would jump so I know this dog is terrified. The idiots finally came to their back door and we yelled at them to come get their dog. The old guy says that the two others are coming around to get the dog and then he comes to his side of the fence and starts yelling through the fence, "Boy, I'm gonna beat your a**. I'm gonna beat your a**". Lovely. Then the two young people (in their 20's) come over and tell us that they are going to have to put razor wire up to keep the dog in (he has jumped out before but always into their yard).

Okay, I feel really bad for this dog. He isn't loved or well taken care of and probably abused. Even if he isn't abused, the pen is way too small for him and he is never let out. They are keeping the dog in the garage today so I can't see it. I know I need to call someone to check on the dog but they will know I called and I don't trust these people. None of them work and we are home all day without DH.

and tell them exactly what you said here. Maybe they will let you know what you can and can't do. Any of their other neighbors 'bothered' by the barking? I know where I am ......you have to have THREE neighbors complain about a barking dog before they will do anything about it.

You can always call animal control when it gets out......It sounds like it would be better off there!

I had a similar situation, but I did not really have a fear of the people, they were foolish but not quite like your neighbors seem to be (mean, I mean).

I called animal control. They told me that I had every right to call them and have the dog removed from my property any time it came under the fence. This was not a dangerous dog, but one that would come over, leave "gifts" for my three kids to drag in on their feet, and get back under the fence after a while. And I did worry that it might bite.

Thankfully the neighbor caught on and took care of the dog. I don't know where the dog went, but it was no longer in their yard :001_huh:. I had the feeling they'd had similar problems in the past.

You're in a tough spot, though, with the possibility of retaliation.

I'd keep the phone number for animal control handy. If the dog gets into your yard, give 'em a call. When they knock on your front door, you can open the gate and lead the dog to the front, hopefully your neighbors won't see a thing. Or you could just leave your gate open and if the dog gets into your yard when you're not looking, you are certainly not responsible for making sure he doesn't run away.

Sad thing is, that while the above suggestions may rid you of the problem, they won't help the dog. To do that, you would have to go ahead and risk their knowing of your involvement. Tough choice.

ETA: I said that the neighbors "caught on" but I should have said they finally dealt with it. I did have several conversations with them about the issue prior to my resolve to call animal control "the next time." But again, my neighbors didn't have the mean and nasty factor yours appear to have...

Edited by AuntieM

I'll tell you what I'd do. I would NOT call animal control. I would not risk getting these kind of people mad at me. I would wait till the dog came into my yard and the owners were not home. ( It may take awhile.) Then I would put the dog in my car and take it somewhere far away - animal shelter three counties away? Where there's a will, there's a way...find a friend who lives far away to take it in if needed. When the owners come home - you have no idea where the dog is, it must have run off. "Nope, haven't seen him today, we were gone all day."

I KNOW this is a horrible thing, but in my opinion, you are left with no choice. Keeping your family safe is more important then turning a dog in to animal control. I see this as a lessor of two evils type thing and the dog would probably end up better off anyway. Baring this, I'd just put up with the barking and intrusion when he got loose. But I wouldn't call because they would know it was you and I've had nasty neighbors before that I was afraid of and it's no fun. ( Yes, I stole their dog and shipped it off to never never land and they never had a clue.)

Edited by katemary63

I'll tell you what I'd do. I would NOT call animal control. I would not risk getting these kind of people mad at me. I would wait till the dog came into my yard and the owners were not home. ( It may take awhile.) Then I would put the dog in my car and take it somewhere far away - animal shelter three counties away? Where there's a will, there's a way...find a friend who lives far away to take it in if needed. When the owners come home - you have no idea where the dog is, it must have run off. "Nope, haven't seen him today."

I KNOW this is a horrible thing, but in my opinion, you are left with no choice. Keeping your family safe is more important then turning a dog in to animal control. I see this as a lessor of two evils type thing and the dog would probably end up better off anyway. Baring this, I'd just put up with the barking and intrusion when he got loose. But I wouldn't call because they would know it was you and I've had nasty neighbors before that I was afraid of and it's no fun.

I agree with all of this!! Your family and children's safety is more important than the dog. BUT if you have an opportunity to help him out in a way that is safe to your family, I'd take that opportunity. In the meantime, start checking into animal shelters in other areas, away from you so you will be prepared to get him out of there when the time comes.

I know you may have already thought of this but could you afford to put up a privacy fence? Even if you could only put up one panel at a time you would eventually atleast be able to block off the kennel portion. It wouldn't help with the noise but it would prevent the dog from getting into your yard. If you do go that route I suggest putting it up with a 3 foot buffer between the new fence and your actual property line that way the dog won't be able to chew on your new fence.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with an aggravation like that.

I would call animal control too but I would wait until the dog jumped into my yard and then call them to come pick up the dog. Explain the situation to them. I used to work closely with Animal Control when I worked in a shelter and for the most part they were very understanding of volitile neighbor situations. It may be different in your area but I would still try. It doesn't hurt to call animal control anonymously and ask what they would do either.

This really depends on your location and the quality of animal sheltering & general animal care in your area. In my area, I'd be calling the SPCA. Their constables have limited power but they do have some & they'll often either get the owners to take care of the animal better or surrender them. If the neglect it severe enough, they'll seize the animals.

There are also rescues who will take the animal off their hands. I know people who will BUY the dog with money from their own pockets just to get them away from a terrible situation. This often doesn't help long as many of these folks will just turn around & get another dog to chain or pen & neglect.

Ongoing barking is a no-no in our municipality. It violates bylaws & after a time they'll start getting fines.

Do you know if these people rent or own the property? If they're tennants, I'd look up the owner at city hall & complain to them.

I'd also suggest putting something up on craigslist for your area (or a similar local web classified), just write what you've written & you might get advice that's more pertinent to the situation in your area.

Also you could contact Dogs Deserve Better & see if there's a rep in your area who might have some advice.

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/

I know you may have already thought of this but could you afford to put up a privacy fence? Even if you could only put up one panel at a time you would eventually atleast be able to block off the kennel portion. It wouldn't help with the noise but it would prevent the dog from getting into your yard. If you do go that route I suggest putting it up with a 3 foot buffer between the new fence and your actual property line that way the dog won't be able to chew on your new fence.

I'm so sorry you have to put up with an aggravation like that.

We have a 7 foot privacy fence and that is what he jumped over. This is a large dog.

I'll tell you what I'd do. I would NOT call animal control. I would not risk getting these kind of people mad at me. I would wait till the dog came into my yard and the owners were not home. ( It may take awhile.) Then I would put the dog in my car and take it somewhere far away - animal shelter three counties away? Where there's a will, there's a way...find a friend who lives far away to take it in if needed. When the owners come home - you have no idea where the dog is, it must have run off. "Nope, haven't seen him today, we were gone all day."

I KNOW this is a horrible thing, but in my opinion, you are left with no choice. Keeping your family safe is more important then turning a dog in to animal control. I see this as a lessor of two evils type thing and the dog would probably end up better off anyway. Baring this, I'd just put up with the barking and intrusion when he got loose. But I wouldn't call because they would know it was you and I've had nasty neighbors before that I was afraid of and it's no fun. ( Yes, I stole their dog and shipped it off to never never land and they never had a clue.)

I'm not so sure I would suggest this. What if the neighbors get a new dog. She can't go stealing their dogs all the time. Someone might see and turn her in. I think that is a risky suggestion.

We did this with an abused kitten when my dh, a friend and I were working on the Outer Banks the summer after college, only my friend kept him and took him back to Ohio. He's ten years old now, happy and beautiful and loved. He wouldn't have made it to the end of the summer in that place.

If anyone calls animal control, are they going to assume it's you?

If so, I'd go ahead and call.

Is the dog pen why you call them idiots? Just curious.

I call them idiots because

~they rent a house with a small yard and have 4 large dogs

~they seem to think that a mud filled 10x3 area is a great home for a dog

~they can't speak a single sentance without a swear word thrown in (I had to keep the children in the house the day they were putting up the dog pen)

~they never walk or play with their dogs just yell at them and feed them twice a day

~and because I've tried to have a conversation with them and they are, well, idiots.

just that with a cat that was at a persons door across from us when we lived in an apartment. It would sit there and mewo all day long, they were not at home, I was not going to feed it.

I put it in the car took it to a nice neighbor hood and it immediately went up to a house and sat at their door.

animal control will just more than likely have the animal killed.

Yep. This works.

You don't want these people mad at you. They're big trouble. That privacy fence should be the next step. Dog or no dog, you need as much separation as possible for this family.

Yep. This works.

You don't want these people mad at you. They're big trouble. That privacy fence should be the next step. Dog or no dog, you need as much separation as possible for this family.

We already have a privacy fence. This huge dog puts his legs on the rails that go across and that is how he looks over the fence and gets over. They are renters and their landlord has as much concern for his property as any other slum lord. I just hope they move soon like all the others who have lived in that house.

If you just want to keep him from jumping over & don't mind spending a bit of $ then have a look at "coyote rollers". Google it & you'll see a commercial outfit but you can make your own if you're handy - just need some pvc piping & heavy gauge wire stretched across the top of the fence, attached to an angle bracket.

People use them to keep coyotes away from farms and also to keep escape artist dogs (esp the northern breeds like sibes and malamutes) in their yards. Not the prettiest things but they work well. The pvc pipe will just roll when they try to put their feet on it & they can't scrabble up it.

First off, We are landlords.

I agree, you need to contact the owner of the house. If you can get a phone number and call the owner, great. But even if you do talk to them, you need proof that the owner of the house knows about the dog situation. Write a letter and get delivery confirmation on it to the landlords (and keep a copy of the letter). Try to include pictures of the fence and if you can the dog looking over it. Make sure they know that there are 4 large dogs there (our lease would never let that many dogs in one of our homes). Let them know that the dog in the back has shown aggression to you and your children while you were in your own yard. Make sure you include that if the dog gets into your yard or the street and hurts anyone this letter will show in court the fact that the landlords knew about the problem. Make sure you stress that you or any of your neighbors will come after the owner of the home for any medical expenses and/or pain and suffering caused by the dogs getting out. The owner of the home is responsible of anything going on in the house that they KNOW about. If there is no documentation of you contacting them it is your word against the landlords in the court. If you make sure the landlord knows you now have proof that he knows about a possible harmful situation he will take action. Believe me when I say the last thing that the landlord wants is a potential lawsuit against him for one of his tenants.

There are a lot of ways to get a bad tenant out of a house. Our lease would allow us to kick them out because the number of the dogs there would be breaking the lease. They could of course get rid of the dogs, but most tenants will move before getting rid of pets. The landlord may be looking for a reason to get rid of these people and you might be able to provide it. If not, at least you will have proof he knew if something does happen.

I would also make a call to the people in charge of local ordinances in your area (here it would be the county). I don't think just anyone can put up barbed wire fencing and I wouldn't want that in my back yard.

Good luck

Melissa

I am a HUGE dog lover so I would be in a mess if I was dealing with this situation. Can't say that I would steal the dog but if it came my way and I had the capability to remove it from the situation...I would. But that is assuming that the dog would go easily with you. Also, I would make sure that I took it to a NO KILL facility. Google for one in your area...the dog is the victim. I am not sure that animal control would help...I tried with a situation with some horses in a terrible situation and they said as long as they had shelter(the side of a barn!?!?!), food and water, that nothing more could be done. Plus, I think they are overwhelmed with similar situations. Not sure why people like these you live by even have pets....well, I guess you wouldn't exactly call that a pet-more like a prisoner.

Just wanted to add that a lot of times if you drop an animal off at an animal shelter, you pay a fee. Even if it is not your dog. I think they charge at least $50 to drop off an animal. You could install electrical fence wiring at the top of your fence. What an annoying situation...

First question, did they get your permission to attach to your fence? If not they have broken the law by doing so. I would report this first. At least then the dog wouldn't be capable of jumping at you or coming over or under the fence. Send a letter or better yet get an attorney to send a letter to the landlord and the tenant stating that they are in violation of the law by attaching to your fence and that you will seek damages.

Next, I wouldn't steal the dog and take it away. Then you are guilty of a felony.

If the dog is truly scaring you, call the police.

Now that you've shared that they have 4 large dogs, I'd see if this is a violation of any city or county ordinance. If so, call in an anonymous tip and see if that gets you anywhere. Like someone else said, it could be any of the neighbors calling, and perhaps if indeed another neighbor called, they might think it was you anyway. Sorry that's potentially a no-win situation, but if the dog in question actually scaled a 7 foot fence, I could never feel comfortable letting my kids out in the yard. I'd have to do something.

First off, We are landlords.

I agree, you need to contact the owner of the house. If you can get a phone number and call the owner, great. But even if you do talk to them, you need proof that the owner of the house knows about the dog situation. Write a letter and get delivery confirmation on it to the landlords (and keep a copy of the letter). Try to include pictures of the fence and if you can the dog looking over it. Make sure they know that there are 4 large dogs there (our lease would never let that many dogs in one of our homes). Let them know that the dog in the back has shown aggression to you and your children while you were in your own yard. Make sure you include that if the dog gets into your yard or the street and hurts anyone this letter will show in court the fact that the landlords knew about the problem. Make sure you stress that you or any of your neighbors will come after the owner of the home for any medical expenses and/or pain and suffering caused by the dogs getting out. The owner of the home is responsible of anything going on in the house that they KNOW about. If there is no documentation of you contacting them it is your word against the landlords in the court. If you make sure the landlord knows you now have proof that he knows about a possible harmful situation he will take action. Believe me when I say the last thing that the landlord wants is a potential lawsuit against him for one of his tenants.

There are a lot of ways to get a bad tenant out of a house. Our lease would allow us to kick them out because the number of the dogs there would be breaking the lease. They could of course get rid of the dogs, but most tenants will move before getting rid of pets. The landlord may be looking for a reason to get rid of these people and you might be able to provide it. If not, at least you will have proof he knew if something does happen.

I would also make a call to the people in charge of local ordinances in your area (here it would be the county). I don't think just anyone can put up barbed wire fencing and I wouldn't want that in my back yard.

Good luck

Melissa

I agree. Good post.

I'm not so sure I would suggest this. What if the neighbors get a new dog. She can't go stealing their dogs all the time. Someone might see and turn her in. I think that is a risky suggestion.

Stealing is wrong. Seems like I read that somewhere. ;)

I also cannot condone *dumping* an animal, dog or cat, in another neighborhood like someone else suggested. Having been on the other end of that 'dump' several times, I'd like to make an announcement. We have taken in enough animals, thank you very much. We don't need someone else to gift us with another.

( Yes, I stole their dog and shipped it off to never never land and they never had a clue.)

:iagree: And I would get a bag of really good dog treats and start slipping it one when they are not looking, so the dog learns to associate you with food. Speak sweetly, so I becomes tame to your voice. You'll know when it wags when it sees you. Don't let them see you.

Then, when it does get loose, put your kids in a safe room and lure it in. This is a scared, under-run dog. I just want to kick these kind of people in the shins. They don't deserve any living thing!

Next, I wouldn't steal the dog and take it away. Then you are guilty of a felony.

Well, I have to acknowledge that I live in the county. I did call the local authorities who told me to shoot the dog. There is no one here who comes to get a stray dog if you don't live in the city limits. Since I was allowed to shoot it, I figured it was a lesser evil to just take it. I didn't want to shoot the dog, just because the owners were idiots. I gave it atleast a sporting chance.

Now, I will also be honest and say that if I did live in the city limits, but had the same neighbors I have now, I would still do the same thing. I would NOT call the authorities on my nasty neighbors. As far as they are concerned, I like them just fine and thats the way it will stay. I won't get on thier bad side. I've got kids and pets of my own and don't want any trouble. So, secretly finding his dog another place to live was pretty much my only option and it worked out just fine. If he gets another dog that runs rampant on my property, I will do the same. I certainly understand those who would not choose that. Especially in the city. But "steeling" his dog doesn't have me feeling guilty at all. It's alive. It's not killing my chickens. I helped it and me without putting my family in danger. I sleep at night.

Ask them to chain their dog. It can't jump out if it is on a short chain.

That has to be a cultural difference, as you mentioned before about training. There are bumper stickers all over here (and other advertisements...) about... this... like "friends don't tie their friends to trees" and stuff. I don't know one person who ties up their dog.

In fact, I know of few dogs who live outside... They usually live with "their people" inside.. or wherever their owners are.

Carrie:-)

We had a neighbor whose cat kept coming into our backyard and bringing all of her kittens with her. My kids would box up the cat and her kittens and return them to the neighbor on a daily basis. But the kittens would get put back outside and their dog was killing them.Which I think is why the mother cat was moving them to our yard each day. One day my kids took the mother cat and the remaining kittens the dog hadn't killed yet to the neighbors door and the man answered the door and said " I'm too busy, I can't take the cats right now " What ?!?!? This was a problem for me because my yard could not support that many cats pooping in it and the mother cat was running off our cat. So I boxed the cats up - all of them - and took them to animal control. I told animal control what the situation was and they had no problem taking these animals even though they were the neighbors cats, not mine. Guess what ? Those neighbors never came looking for their cats even though my kids had been to their door several times with them.

Edited by Miss Sherry

If the dog is truly scaring you, call the police.

If this dog strays and you take it to a shelter in another county, you're doing the dog a huge favor.

These people are far more dangerous than their dog. They exhibit the typical behavior of habitual criminals. If you get into a stink with them, you may get hurt. You will certainly experience a degradation in your environment and the loss of or damage to your property.

They are stupid, they are cruel, and they are ignorant. Chances are they can't prove they own the dog, haven't licensed the dog, haven't vaccinated the dog, haven't chipped the dog and generally don't have the wherewithal to track it down if it disappears. It is wildly improbably that you'll ever be charged with a crime if you cause their dog to vanish the next time it strays. Does the animal even have tags? I bet not.

Never assume that law enforcement will protect your privacy if you report your neighbors. In many communities where anti-social behavior is common, police routinely stop at the household of the person reporting the crime both before and after the visit to the household being reported. This is practical, because a high percentage of "concerned citizens" are dysfunctional nuts who use the police to harass their neighbors. Some "concerned citizens" just want attention, and any kind will do. Then there is the type of "concerned citizen" who is a stupid criminal him/herself, and simply calls to feed his/her drama addiction. By showing up at the "concerned citizen's" household, the police have learned they're likely to stumble upon evidence of a crime. The police are well aware of what types of people engage in excessive conflict with their neighbors, and they have policies in place to shut these dramas down.

Likewise, don't assume that the landlord is smart, competent, experienced or even decent. S/he may well inform the tenant that the "neighbor lady has it in for them." After all, the landlord selected these tenants. Something's wrong there.

One of the key elements of self-defense is realizing when you can count on backup from civil authority or cultural norms, and when you're on your own. Make discrete inquiries with the police and the landlord to find out if they will help you. Just don't assume that the rules of civilization you normally trust to keep you safe protect you consistently. They don't. There are few self-defense blunders more costly than assuming you are safe simply because you "have a right" to protection from various authorities, or that your antagonist is obliged to play by "the rules".

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

They're tenants. Do you know the owner of the property? I'd be giving him/her a call. Four large dogs is usually enough to have any landlord freaking about potential property damage.

Definitely try to contact the owner. If they are not local they may know nothing about the dogs. This happened to us this past year. Fortunately, we had other problems with our tenant and decided not to renew the lease with her. When we were there last month to get the house ready for a new tenant the neighbors told us that she had one, maybe two, pit bulls!!! Pets were not even allowed under our lease. And since we were not local - we had no idea she had a pit bull there.

If we had known - we would have done something.

Call Animal Control. Dogs are very social animals and keeping one jailed behind the garage is criminal. Not to mention that the dog can go all anti-social and become dangerous.

I would call Animal control every day until somebody comes by to check on that poor dog.

Free Willy! Open your backyard gate let it FREE!

Then call animal control about a loose dog and let them deal with it.

This is what I would do.

Your family's safety comes first. I would try not to make enemies of mean people who are home all day in the house behind me. I wouldn't take the dog either, as someone could see you and tell them.

If the dog gets into your yard, leave the gate open and when he runs out, and call animal control. That way, it could be anyone who called about a roaming dog. Hopefully animal control will see the dog's habitat and take action.

It's not a perfect solution (a roaming dog might get hit by a car), but you can't live with this situation. I just don't see a safer alternative.

First question, did they get your permission to attach to your fence? If not they have broken the law by doing so.

Is there a uniform law in all jurisdictions about this? I've never heard of a law like that where I live, and people in my neighborhood routinely fence up to and include around existing fences.

If the dog is potentially aggressive, then it's also worth noting that once it's loose through your gate, he could hurt/bite kids innocently playing in their yards.

Idiot neighbors drive me nuts. Sorry you have to deal with it! My idiot neighbors love to drive/rev/work on huge, loud trucks right outside our window. Wish I could call animal control on them.

If the dog is potentially aggressive, then it's also worth noting that once it's loose through your gate, he could hurt/bite kids innocently playing in their yards.

Idiot neighbors drive me nuts. Sorry you have to deal with it! My idiot neighbors love to drive/rev/work on huge, loud trucks right outside our window. Wish I could call animal control on them.

I thought of this, too, which is why I think it's not a perfect solution. But if you think about it, the dog isn't really contained in her yard, because if he can jump over her fence to get in, he can jump over it to get out into the neighborhood any time he wants.

What a terrible situation. The one place you should have peace is in your own home minding your own business. People are so selfish.