Menu

Questioning the science of weight loss...

I've educated myself a bit about weight loss.

Take in less calories than you need to sustain your current weight, and you should lose.

What I don't get, and am hoping someone can explain to me, is how this applies to me. I'm eating 1500 calories or less per day. I know because I'm measuring and marking down every single bite of food I eat. No splurging, no cheating. I'm a large woman. Fairly far over 200 lbs. How is it possible for me to be eating like this and not be losing weight?! What am I missing? :confused: It's true that at this point I'm not getting a ton of exercise. Gentle walking a couple of times a week. But still, the math just isn't adding up for me. How could that possibly be too many calories for a gal my size?

I've educated myself a bit about weight loss.

Take in less calories than you need to sustain your current weight, and you should lose.

What I don't get, and am hoping someone can explain to me, is how this applies to me. I'm eating 1500 calories or less per day. I know because I'm measuring and marking down every single bite of food I eat. No splurging, no cheating. I'm a large woman. Fairly far over 200 lbs. How is it possible for me to be eating like this and not be losing weight?! What am I missing? :confused: It's true that at this point I'm not getting a ton of exercise. Gentle walking a couple of times a week. But still, the math just isn't adding up for me. How could that possibly be too many calories for a gal my size?

How long have you been eating only 1500 calories per day?

If you significantly reduce the number of calories your body is used to, it goes into "starvation" mode and lowers your metabolism. It is trying to conserve fat/energy for later use. I believe that one of the reasons that exercise is so important is that you don't have to lower your caloric intake as much and it helps to speed your metabolism. Just like exercise alone does not yield great weightloss (you have to exercise a lot to burn a lot of calories - running or walking for 1 mile burns about 100 calorie, for example), dieting alone does work either.

Here's one possibility. Your body may need more calories to sustain itself. When you dip your calories too low, your body goes into "fight or flight" mode. It will keep hold of all that it has. You don't want to "starve" your body. You want to feed it at regular intervals throughout the day with a healthy mix of protein and carbs. Try to find a way to calculate what calories your body needs at your weight. Then gradually taper that down over time. Maybe 300 fewer calories a day, until you start to see some sort of results. More intensive exercise would also be a plus. And then as you lose weight you want to recalculate the number of calories you need at your new weight, etc. I don't know the formula off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could easily find it on the web (I just typed in calories per day on google and got an automatic calculator to figur it out). I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

If you significantly reduce the number of calories your body is used to, it goes into "starvation" mode and lowers your metabolism. It is trying to conserve fat/energy for later use. I believe that one of the reasons that exercise is so important is that you don't have to lower your caloric intake as much and it helps to speed your metabolism. Just like exercise alone does not yield great weightloss (you have to exercise a lot to burn a lot of calories - running or walking for 1 mile burns about 100 calorie, for example), dieting alone does work either.

I agree. And although 3 weeks seems like an eternity when you are trying to lose weight, I think you will suddenly see results if you stick with it for a bit longer.

Is the 1500 per day approved by your doctor? Maybe it is too low to start.

Find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then, subtract 500 calories and you'll have the number of calories per day you need. I think that at your approximate weight, 1500 is too low and your metabolism has slowed down.

There are all sorts of websites that will help you figure this out.

Could you afford a visit to a nutritionist or someone like that? Someone who could look at what you're eating and give you a clue about it? Like maybe you are lacking in protein?

I'm only asking because I tend to gravitate towards the carbs and even when I eat only a little bit of them, for some reason the weight just stays the same or grows. But if I add a bit of protein (not huge amounts, just a bit), I can slowly lose weight.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with you. I'm just saying that maybe it's something like that. A nutritionist (or whatever you call people who figure out what's healthy for you to eat) might see some sort of dietary imbalance or something and could tell you about it.

I would not aim for more than 500 calories under what you have been eating, to start a diet. Taper it down. Less is not always more. Also, a few weeks is not really long enough.

I was fairly over 200 and when I tried 1500, it didn't work, I was always hungry and I never lost any stinking weight. I switched to 2000 and started exercising instead (fairly heavy, martial art with a lot of falling), and what do you know, I lost weight.

Check out www.bmi-calculator.net

I was just figuring this last night as I am on very restricted calories (Medifast) and thinking that for my size I ought to really be losing even more than I am.

The calculator says that my basal metabolic rate (the # of calories I need if I don't get out of bed) is 2185. (No one please try to guess my weight based on this. :001_huh:) Anyhoo... If I multiply that by my activity level (mostly not much) it's 2622 calories per day to just maintain my current weight. One pound of fat is 3500 calories, right? SO, in order to lose 2 pounds per week, I need to create weekly calorie deficit of 7000 calories. 2622 x 7 = 18354. -7000 = 11354. / 7 = 1622 calories per day to lose 2 lbs a week.

If you play with these calculations, on the site, you can see just how big an impact burning calories through exercise can have. And you can further see how the more you lose you would have to adjust either your burning of calories, or your consuming of them to continue losing.

BTW, I trust this site as it has been mentioned and endorsed by the Biggest Loser and I have heard other weight loss experts mention it. BUT, I am open to critique on this issue. I just think it helped me see that my calorie restriction needed to be quite severe.

HTH!

Edited by i.love.lucy

Another thing to consider is how much your weight fluctuates during the month. During ovulation and during my period my weight jumps up a few pounds. Weighing yourself at the same time each month is better than a daily routine - or at least take fluctuations you normally experience in your cycle into account.

This book by Gary Taubes totally changed my mind about eating and metabolism. My husband and I changed to a low carb eating style, and have lost about 40# each, in about 6 months. The lowering calories to lose idea is specifically addressed.

I heartily second this. This book is an exhaustively researched and meticulously documented look at dietary science. It totally convinced me to reduce carbs, not only to lose weight, but to improve my health.

:)

I heartily second this. This book is an exhaustively researched and meticulously documented look at dietary science. It totally convinced me to reduce carbs, not only to lose weight, but to improve my health.

Honestly? Reducing carbs is what I've been doing that's made me totally content on 1500 calories per day. I really do feel better eating this way. No more puffy water retention (though I'm drinking a ton of water), more energy, and I think my mood has even improved! Still, I want the weight loss that's supposed to go with this. :confused:

No sugar

No flour

No potatoes or rice

No bread

Veggies, but no fruit

Almost no processed foods at all

BTDT, and I don't have any answers, only great sympathy.

:iagree: I just spent a couple hours chatting with a friend about this Friday night. We are both very frustrated and can't figure out what to do. I have never believed the calories in minus calories out business because hormones, stress, age, etc all play a big roll in what your body does with calories. But, sheesh, at some point doesn't something have to happen? The only thing we could come up with is that we are both over 45 and your metabolism does slow down somewhat, and that we need to build back some of the muscle we have lost over the years in order to ramp that metabolism up a little...

I actually have a BodyBugg and have tracked my calories burned and even just sitting around all day it is over 1500 calories, so I am as confused as you.

No advice, just :grouphug:

I'm in the same boat with you. I eat exceedingly well--tons of fruits/veggies, almost no packaged products, small to moderate portion sizes. Nothing I do seems to have any impact at all. I have made massive, monumental changes to my eating habits over the last eight years, with absolutely no positive effect on my weight AT ALL.

It's terribly discouraging.

Check out www.bmi-calculator.net

I was just figuring this last night as I am on very restricted calories (Medifast) and thinking that for my size I ought to really be losing even more than I am.

The calculator says that my basal metabolic rate (the # of calories I need if I don't get out of bed) is 2185. (No one please try to guess my weight based on this. :001_huh:) Anyhoo... If I multiply that by my activity level (mostly not much) it's 2622 calories per day to just maintain my current weight. One pound of fat is 3500 calories, right? SO, in order to lose 2 pounds per week, I need to create weekly calorie deficit of 7000 calories. 2622 x 7 = 18354. -7000 = 11354. / 7 = 1622 calories per day to lose 2 lbs a week.

If you play with these calculations, on the site, you can see just how big an impact burning calories through exercise can have. And you can further see how the more you lose you would have to adjust either your burning of calories, or your consuming of them to continue losing.

BTW, I trust this site as it has been mentioned and endorsed by the Biggest Loser and I have heard other weight loss experts mention it. BUT, I am open to critique on this issue. I just think it helped me see that my calorie restriction needed to be quite severe.

HTH!

I have not used this specific site, but I have used a similar calculation given to me by my doctor. When I was having trouble losing weight and on a 1600 calorie plan, my doctor told me that was too low to start.

He said that I first needed to spend a week providing my body with nutritious food at the level of calories that I needed to maintain my current weight, and then to gradually lower my calorie intake each week by 200 to 400 calories until I was at about 1800 calories. He said not to go any lower until 1800 calories was what I needed to maintain. He also said that women did not ever need to go below 1400 calories unless they were on a doctor approved diet.

Please consider www.everydaysystems.com No S: it sounds too good to be true but it really, really, isn't. No S = No Sweets, No Seconds, No Snacks except on days that begin with S. Please don't scroll on by w/o at least having a peek.

It is delightful to be free of the shackles of starving, weighing food, measuring everything, counting the minutiae . . . and at zero or very little cost. Everything is on the website so you don't have to buy the book. Several have been successful and then bought the book out of gratitude. Me, for one.

please, just give it a look.

Honestly? Reducing carbs is what I've been doing that's made me totally content on 1500 calories per day. I really do feel better eating this way. No more puffy water retention (though I'm drinking a ton of water), more energy, and I think my mood has even improved! Still, I want the weight loss that's supposed to go with this. :confused:

No sugar

No flour

No potatoes or rice

No bread

Veggies, but no fruit

Almost no processed foods at all

My hubby is seriously overweight and dealing with Syndrome X and getting pretty close to diabetes. His doctors only suggestions were:

No bread

No potatos

No pasta

No alcohol

No candy

No corn

Plus at least an hour of exercise per day. It takes a little while for the weight loss to start but my hubby had always lost weight this way and if he would just maintain he would be fine. My doc has said that he had NEVER had a patient that stayed on this plan on not lost and maintained.

As an example of the calories in calories out myth, I weight about 125 right now. Honestly, there are some days when I eat easily 2000-2500 calories, pretty much all in carbs as well and I rarely gain weight. I have been this way my entire life. The only time I do gain is when I take a certain medicine. Of course, I frequently forget to eat at all so that might make up for some of it. Sometimes though (usually when I am under lot of stress), I lose a lot of weight, where I get down to about 110, look like a concetrations camps refugee and none of my clothes fit all while eating the same as always.

I would say, stick with what you are doing, and then maybe add in an hour of aerobics and maybe even light weight training, you know, in your spare time.

:iagree: with the previous posters that mentioned "starvation mode"...

Another thing to consider is that muscle burns more calories than fat...even while you're resting. So, if you can do some light weight training to build up lean muscle, I think you'll see your weight start to decrease.

I could have only 1200 calories to lose weight. I'm 5'5" and weighed about 150. I found a weight loss calculator online that takes into account your activity level. Mine is pretty low.

Having that few of calories really did make me hungry and tired/spacey, but it worked. I also noticed that I lost weight only once a month, than a chunk would come off, like 5 # at a time. So, it would seem like I wasn't losing weight and then it would finally come off, only to wait again.

I understand your frustration!!!

I lost weight in 2000 doing ediets. they were fairly new on the online scene and they had their plan to choose. I choose my meals, printed out recipes and cooked every meal I ate. It took me awhile to figure out calories but it was about 1550. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months and then went to just eating 1500-1600 calories to lose weight.

had 2 kids. put on more weight. thyroid meds and I fight a lot and I lose...more weight.

I did WW in 2004 and lost 56 pounds. Again, figured it to be about 1500 calories. I did no exercise. I lost that weight in 4 months.

new meds, more weight. quit WW in frustration.

I am now losing weight but differently. I am working out. The scale is still my enemy. I lost nothing in September but my measurements showed inches going away and my clothes are falling off me :-) I have come to realize the scale isn't a true indicator.

so my advice is this:

take a photo at beginning of each month

take measurements of your body at beginning of each month

weigh all you want but don't let that be the deciding factor in your success

I have seen the scale go up 7 pounds in the last week. WHY?????? I am working out more, drinking more water....why???? who knows.

track your calories but give yourself a range and realize what matters is more at the end of the week. If you go over one day due to a special event...then don't worry. just stay on track the rest of the week. some people even have a 'cheat' day one day a week where they eat whatever and still lose weight b/c they are so good the rest of the week.

If you are doing 1500 calories and you are over 200 pounds you may need more calories. I KNOW. I am over 200 pounds. I found that 1600 gave me more weight loss. And a few years ago 1800 was my magic number!!! Play around with it. give yourself a range. 1500-1800. see what works for you. don't give up. I am learning the scale doesn't reflect my really good days right away. and some times I get a loss when I didn't deserve it. The scale is it's own and you can't be a slave to it. photos/measurements.

((HUGS)) I am doing this too and if you need more support like emails weekly PM me ok?

First off, I would suggest having your thyroid tested. The thyroid is often the culprit of weight gain and weight loss problems. I've been running for twenty-four years. As of the last year I really started core training, for balance and back problems. While I've always been skinny, I finally have definition in my belly! My balance and agility, has improved. I use one of those giant therapeutic balls. Most gyms have them and Target carries them for about eighteen dollars.

I also weight train, not for serious muscles, more for strength. Bonus great looking arms and shoulders. I spend about 50 minutes on cardio, 15 minutes core, and maybe 10-15 minutes on weights. Usually 5 times a week. Currently, I've added in walking w/dd in the early mornings to help jump start her brain (and my brain). She also likes to work out at the gym w/me, occasionally (no weights) usually the bike.

All of this is great for mental-well-being. However, if you do not reduce your calorie intake you will gain weight. Biggest mistake people assume is since they are working out they can eat more. One has to be training like a triathlete to really worry about eating more to sustain their weight. Depending on your height, most women really don't need more then 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day. I have been consuming roughly around 1,500 calories for several years. With the exception of the week I have pms. I've been known to suffer terrible bouts of chocolate cravings.

Reduction in calories not only helps w/diabetes but also is beneficial for osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Mentally if diffuses mind clouds, depression, etc. This given if the depression or mental problem are not of severity. I think your diet sounds healthy and you have already received some great benefits in that you feel good.

Another thing to know is that toxins that store up in our fatty tissues are often release when we diet, causing us to experience breakouts, slight depression, etc. I'm not sure how long you've been dieting, but, increase your exercise, and check your thyroid. The more you move the better you will feel.

For other reasons then diet, I don't eat wheat or gluten, we eat lots of fish (sushi) and chicken(free-range). Along w/ lots of organic veggies, salads, plus grains and nuts (walnuts). Another biggie for us is beans, tofu and miso soup, both my daughter use to drink miso in their bottles. My one huge draw back is my coffee. When hd and I met he was a big meat eat. "Bloody chunks of beef," was his reference to steak. Now I don't deprive him or dd, but he feels much better eating it several times a month, rather then 3 times a week.

Remember you didn't just wake up at this size or weight, or w/certain eating habits, it's taken years to get to this point. It takes time for the body to reprogram itself.

Good luck,

Forevergrace:)

Jillian Michael's new diet book, Master Your Metabolism has done it for me. I work out 3-5 days a week for 1-1.5 hours at a shot and I was not losing, very frustrating. I started following her plan in September and I've lost 17 lbs in 3 weeks.

Congratulations!

Looks like an interesting book. I've always been confused by metabolism and have a hard time losing even when I'm exercising.

It's sort of an annoying diet because you have to follow a plan for a couple of weeks that is pretty strict, but I hear it really really works. I've tried it and failed because I lack self control, but I also didn't need to lose much weight and seem to tolerate a high carb diet really well, so it's hard to get motivated to stay on something low carb and strict when you aren't actually overweight but just can't wear last year's pants, you know?

But if I were carrying a lot of extra weight and felt motivated to try something, I would do this. And you know what? If you want, I will mail the book to your at my expense if you will agree to mail it back to me at your expense when you are done. I keep a lot of mailing material in the house because I use bookmooch, so I could stick it in the mail to you no problem. PM me if you want it.

Dana

Thanks :-) I really believe my body does not handle sugar well, I don't truly meet the criteria for insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, but I'm treating myself as if I do. Jillian's book addresses these two as well as other hormonal issues.

Karen

Congratulations!

Looks like an interesting book. I've always been confused by metabolism and have a hard time losing even when I'm exercising.

at 1500 calories a day your body does not think it's starving. if it did, you would be skipping periods, losing hair, and having other problems.

as for counting calories, it really more about quality than quantity. if i ate 1500 calories worth of potatoes and bread a day, i'd blow up. i can eat almost as much unprocessed whole food as a want and not gain an ounce.

you really have to push your workout. get your heart rate into the cardio range for a minute or two, give yourself a minute or two to bring it down, then back up, then back down. intervals burn fat like crazy. do weights, and not the lightest ones you can find...push yourself! it's not easy or fun at first, it's hard work that takes dedication!

i'd also recommend some supplementation.

-3g of CLA daily (this stuff is amazing!)

-2tbsp of flaxseed oil with lignans daily

-evening primrose oil

also, try drinking hot lemon water at bedtime. it stimulates your liver and is a diuretic. half a lemon to about 6 oz water to start, you can work up to a whole lemon.

i hope this helps! as someone who struggled with weight for years, i really feel bad for people who try to lose weight and don't just because of misinformation...and there's a ton of that out there!

I struggle too! A LOT!

I need to lose about 60 pounds and I am just under 5' tall. I can't eat 1500 calories a day and lose. I can't even eat 1200 a day and lose more than 3 pounds a month IF I am lucky.....sometimes I lose even less.

I know that working out heavily and keeping at 1100-1200 calories would work. I hate working out! I need to just do it anyway.

Dawn

I think hormones have a big influence for me. I do not lose weight from the beginning of my cycle through ovulation. I don't care how careful I am it will NOT come off during that time. The scales will show a drop between ovulation and when the next cycle starts.

I've also found that even though aerobic exercise is great for my health, it does not help me lose weight. Building muscle is the type of exercise that helps me lose.