Menu

Am I being overly sensitive?

EKS

It really irritates me when the check out person at the grocery store makes comments about how much milk I'm getting or asks if I'm "stocking up" on pasta. Or whatever.

And then the woman today (who must have turned 18 five minutes ago) tells me that her family used to stock up on food "too". They would buy enough food for three months and spend like <gasp> $200. I informed her that I spend that much every week.

That's all.

Rant over.

I think you'd be "overly sensitive" if you were taking it personally. I, too, find it weirdly offensive that cashiers think it's ok to comment on the contents of my basket. Or b!tch about their boss to me, particularly when they're telling me how deathly ill they are but their boss wouldn't let them call in like everyone else did that day...while touching.my.food! :blink:

I think I might need to move to France, where formality is still appreciated.

We get that, too. Both the people making comments and the $200.00 a week on groceries. If its not pasta they comment its apples or chicken or whatever. I was buying flour and sugar to make Christmas cookies one year and I got asked if I owned a bakery. {Sure, I get supplies for a BUSINESS at Wal-Mart}

Well...at least they are talking to you. I get the clerk who MUST discuss what she will be doing during her break/day off/weekend with the kid sacking my groceries and hardly acknowledges me. :glare:

As far as living in France for the formality...perhaps we should pretend not to speak English when we go through the line. Parlez vous francias? Or maybe muttering some words in a strange Eskimo dialect?

Maybe it's their unsocialized attempt at making conversation with a stranger.

At least that's what I would think.

I usually get the cashier that can't be bothered to even say "hello" to me or say the total of my purchase, just turn the window towards me and stick out their hand.

I wouldn't let it bother me.

How about the woman I have encountered twice who likes to comment on what I'm going to cook with the groceries I buy. She loves to tell how she wouldn't buy stuff like that as she only cooks from scratch. I bought fat-free sugar-free banana pudding, fat-free cool whip, reduced fat nilla wafers, and bananas. :lol: We needed a quick tasty very low calorie dessert. She saw all of it and told me it wouldn't be good because only made-from-scratch was good. AND.. she offered to exchange email addresses so she could send me recipes! I purposely choose other checkout registers to avoid her now. Way weird!

Last week I went to Wal*Mart [i know, but $ is tight ] to buy a bunch of cleaning supplies. I ran out of everything at once. Saw a mini blind cleaner on the clearance rack and picked it up. What the heck, it was a dollar. The cashier rang it up and was enthralled with it. She then proceeded to tell me all about her problems with the landlord and cleaning up the place before she moved out and how her STBXH wasn't paying the rent anymore b/c he couldn't and had had enough of the harrassing phone calls from the landlord asking about rent and on and on and on. [i had a bunch of stuff and that was one of the 1st things she rang up] It was horrific and I didn't know how to stop it. When I was a cashier 20 years ago, it was simply have a great day or nice weather. What happened?:001_huh:

I guess I don't mind this. I find it kind of nice, actually. Just today I was checking out when the clerk asked what I do with that many eggs. I told him and he shared a recipe with me. One of the many things I love about living in a small town! Conversation!! I don't find it too informal or nosey, just a way to make polite conversation.

It was horrific and I didn't know how to stop it. When I was a cashier 20 years ago, it was simply have a great day or nice weather. What happened?:001_huh:

YES!! I am tempted to become one of the ill-socialized people who continues their phone call while checking out, simply to avoid such interactions.

Something tells me "please stop telling me this" would not be well received. (But don't you just want to stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalalalalala" until they do stop?)

I think what happened is that, back in the day, cashiers were union employees - professional, well paid, high expectations. (I know Giant employees would be fired or, at the very least, formally reprimanded, if they challenged a customer with an overflowing cart in the express lane) The professional, "career" employees have been replaced with teenagers, there is no training, and the atmosphere is more like camp or a frat house than a service job.

This is one aspect of our new town (moved here 9mths ago) that I find rather disorienting still... most of the cashiers (and coffee shop people & such) don't chat! Seriously. They just nod, ring your stuff, give your total, and sometimes toss in a "have a good day". Often, they barely even meet your eyes the whole time.

It's so weird. :001_huh:

If they are not making negative comments, I think it's just chatting with costumers. What on earth is wrong with that? I like to chat with store clerks and others. I like living in a community, and I very much like it when the deli person knows my daughter prefers Baby Swiss over American cheese, for instance.

I can't even fathom living someplace where people would do all their errands and chores in silence for fear of offending by saying, "Oh, looks like you all love milk" or , 'You sure do have your hands full!" or whatnot.

Edited by LibraryLover

This is one aspect of our new town (moved here 9mths ago) that I find rather disorienting still... most of the cashiers (and coffee shop people & such) don't chat! Seriously. They just nod, ring your stuff, give your total, and sometimes toss in a "have a good day". Often, they barely even meet your eyes the whole time.

That would make me sad. The world is made up of more than my immediate family. I can't even imagine how less pleasurable my life would be. I've given quick recipes in the checkout line when I've been asked, "Oh, what do you make with that?" or 'I've always wondered what you do with that!" I have also learned how to make more kinds of fish at the fishmonger's. When people are waiting for their fish to be prepared, I've asked "How are you going to cook that"? I've never once not had someone not happily dive right into a favorite recipe right there. (I wouldn't ask someone who looked tense and in a hurry). I love it when the fishmonger himself adds his two cents. It's fun and interesting.

Edited by LibraryLover

Total difference in people here...my mom worked in retail for 25 years and I think that when a cashier does that, she is attempting to make small talk and be kind. What else is she going to talk about with a total stranger - other than maybe the weather?

I agree about the complaining about her boss - yep that would irritate me too. However, comments about my milk supply really don't bother me in the least. I would much rather have a smiling, friendly cashier than one with the personality of a toad.

ETA: We are a family of 4 and spend about $100 a week and manage to really stock up in the process. Unless you have a large family, how in the world do you spend $200 a WEEK?

If they are not making negative comments, I think it's just chatting with costumers. What on earth is wrong with that? I like to chat with store clerks and others. I like living in a community, and I very much like it when the deli person knows my daughter prefers Baby Swiss over American cheese, for instance.

I can't even fathom living someplace where people would do all their errands and chores in silence for fear of offending by saying, "Oh, looks like you all love milk" or , 'You sure do have your hands full!" or whatnot.

:iagree:

I'm just not that easily offended.

That would make me sad. The world is made up of more than my immediate family. I can't even imagine how less pleasurable my life would be. I've given quick recipes in the checkout line when I've been asked, "Oh, what do you make with that?" or 'I've always wondered what you do with that!" I have also learned how to make more kinds of fish at the fishmonger's. When people are waiting for their fish to be prepared, I've asked "How are you going to cook that"? I've never once not had someone not happily dive right into a favorite recipe right there. (I wouldn't ask someone who looked tense and in a hurry). I love it when the fishmonger himself adds his two cents. It's fun and interesting.

You're describing our old town. :D

Just add in some comments & questions about the kids, the storm that's on its way, and a few "you're one of T's granddaughters, right? How's she doing these days?" or "Is your Mum still workin' up at the hospital?" :lol:

I miss that. This, it's just so.... strange.

I don't expect to know everyone like we did back home, but even a "Hey you're scarf is very pretty!" gets me a cashier who seems to think I've lost my mind... :001_huh:

I am the nutty customer who makes small talk with the cashier, the person behind me, anyone at all.....because I am home all day every day with littles, and any chance I get out, I like to pretend I still know how to interact with adults....(in my previous life I was a college career advisor).

When I go visit the south, I always feel so warm because cashiers talk to me there. Up here in PA, they say nothing. :glare: I miss the south!

I think I'd cut her some slack. I can't imagine a more boring job than ringing up groceries. Yes, I agree it's rather rude to comment negatively on someone else's groceries--next she'll be saying, "Oh, TAMPONS. Do you like this brand?..." I could go on, but that would be crass and I'm trying to cut down on my personal crassness.

I understand why it bothers you... but you have to remember that, generally, the type of people working as cashiers probably don't have the knowledge or social skills to figure out that comments of this type to perfect strangers is inappropriate. I'd feel sorry for them instead. (Glad *I* don't have their job! It must be SO boring... maybe they're just trying to entertain themselves???)

I think you'd be "overly sensitive" if you were taking it personally. I, too, find it weirdly offensive that cashiers think it's ok to comment on the contents of my basket. Or b!tch about their boss to me, particularly when they're telling me how deathly ill they are but their boss wouldn't let them call in like everyone else did that day...while touching.my.food! :blink:

I think I might need to move to France, where formality is still appreciated.

I once had a 17 year old boy checking me out.

He asked me how many daughters I had. I thought that was ODD question to ask, I didn't have any daughters. WHY? He said, "You have so many tampons and pads you must either have a huge family or some serious female issues." -- only he used much cruder language....

Then I proceeded to tell him, in detail, exactly what my feminine situation was, and to what heaviness. And that, in the future, if he wishes to continue working (or ever have a relationship) he might NEVER want to question a female on such topics again. LOL He almost cried of embarrasment. (evil giggle)

He still works there, but is much nicer now. :D

We splurge a couple times a month on really good quality steaks and they are expensive but we can feed all 6 of us for what it would be for dh and I to go out to Ruth Chris. I've heard some pretty unkind comments from cashiers who did a double take on the prices. Is it really anyones business what I buy and how much I spend. I got a lectured at WM because I was purchasing a $3 princess notebook my dd asked for when they were on sale for $.50.

I actually enjoy when the cashier wants to chat. I think it is great. We live in Las Vegas and I have found that most cashiers are just rude. They don't even acknowledge I'm there. I was a cashier in college and I would have never ignored my customers the way they do here. We went to our hometown in Nebraska and I was shocked by how friendly everyone was and how the cashiers always wanted to chat. It was soooo refreshing.

Honestly, I've never had a cashier being rude with me. In fact, Safeway cashiers *have* to greet you and say goodbye, at the very least. I know, I was one for a bit.

Indeed, I've found far more rude people on the other side of the till. Customers that grunted at you, cursed at you for the high price of groceries (like *I* had any control over it!) completely ignored you as you told them their total three times because they were on their cell, then rolled their eyes, sighed, and acted like it was a HUGE deal to get out their credit card and hand it over. Duh, what did you expect when you loaded your groceries on the belt? That myself and all the folks behind you were completely thrilled and awed by your presence, and would be delighted to continue to bask in your glow until you finally finished your convo and paid, thereby wrenching your glorious self from our unworthy lives?

My 'favourite' was a mom and kid who came through. Report cards had just come out, and apparently the boy hadn't done well. Mom was lecturing him the whole time, finishing off with, "Do you want to end up a loser working at Safeway like her?" and pointed at me. :cursing:

I don't mind chit chat with a cashier. But I do dislike when they comment on my purchases. A few years back, I was buying some female products that were on sale. I usually try to buy those before I need them. I was also buying chocolate. The cashier made a comment like "I guess you need this-huh?" and glanced at the pads or whatever I bought. Umm, no. I need the chocolate because my kids stress me out. I also need chocolate for when strangers comment about me having PMS.

Edited by Pajama Mama

A few weeks ago I bought more than our average amount of groceries as I hadn't been to the store in a while and wanted to stock up. It really did not seem like I was buying all that much.

But the guy sacking my groceries asked, "Did you leave anything for anyone else?" :001_huh:

When he was done sacking, he walked off, obviously thinking my young DS and I could push two full carts through the parking lot on our own. So the cashier called for a carry-out and another guy came to help us out. He said, "wow. You aren't planning on coming back anytime soon are you?" :tongue_smilie:

THEN I got home and our credit card company had called to inform us that they had blocked our card, as there was some "suspicious" activity on our card! :glare: Really, I was glad our cc company was on the ball - but I only spent $80 more than normal. I hardly consider that "suspicious."

It bothers me too when cashiers comment on what I'm buying. Conversation is one thing, a running commentary on my diet is another.

Comments about stocking up annoy me too! I read it to mean "You MUST be stocking up for the future because only a glutton could eat all this in one week." I know that is just me being overly sensitive, but that's how I feel.

Twice recently cashiers have acted a little grossed out by things I've bought and said, "Uh? Food XXX, is that even good?" Um, no, it's totally gross, I only buy it to stimulate the local farming economy. :001_huh:

My favorite was a couple of years ago when a cashier asked me what I used Tea Tree Oil for. I was a little caught off guard and said something along the lines of "It's a natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial essential oil." What would she have done if I said "It's a great intimate lubricant!"

I don't mind chit chat with a cashier. But I do dislike when they comment on my purchases.

Yes, this is my objection. I exchange pleasantries and chit chat.

I think my favorite odd grocery store employee conversation was when this kid (maybe 16) chased me out the door, called me ma'am (I was, perhaps 21) and asked if I needed help to my car. With my 4 rolls of tp. :001_huh: :lol:

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I've only had cashiers ask if something in particular is good. Since they're usually about my age (give or take 20 years) and probably have kids, I don't mind telling them why I like X, Y or Z product. Sometimes I wonder if they have to make small talk or if they're genuinely interested in goat cheese pizza? But, whatever, I like it a lot and it's worth them giving it a try if they haven't. It makes the checkout a bit more pleasant for both them and me and sometimes they'll tell you about something that's on sale that you didn't notice.

I guess I don't mind this. I find it kind of nice, actually. Just today I was checking out when the clerk asked what I do with that many eggs. I told him and he shared a recipe with me. One of the many things I love about living in a small town! Conversation!! I don't find it too informal or nosey, just a way to make polite conversation.

I agree.

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 5 months after 12 years of working at home. It was a horrid experience because of rude and arrogant customers. If they were friendly I would chit chat as long as they were and I was thankful for the polite people. God forbid I say something to someone who thinks they are better than me or they were "too busy" standing there watching me ring things up to actually be polite. OR they talked on their cell phone which then caused me to be rude if I needed to communicate with them. Cashiers are people too and stand on their feet for hours at a time dealing with mostly ungrateful people who act like it is their fault something rang up the wrong price. Cashiers get blamed for everything. It is a thankless job. So those of you who are irritated by chatty cashiers should just try to suck it up for a few minutes and be nice. I am just saying......

I understand why it bothers you... but you have to remember that, generally, the type of people working as cashiers probably don't have the knowledge or social skills to figure out that comments of this type to perfect strangers is inappropriate. I'd feel sorry for them instead. (Glad *I* don't have their job! It must be SO boring... maybe they're just trying to entertain themselves???)

Wow, is that ever an elitist comment. I did it for 5 months last year and aside from a few immature college students I worked with we all had knowledge and skills to carry on a conversation and know when to shut up. I chose the job because I could pick my hours, it was close to home and it paid off some property taxes we owed. Then I quit. I could have worked in a more esteemed position somewhere else, but it wouldn't have been convenient. I find your comment really rude.

Wow, is that ever an elitist comment. I did it for 5 months last year and aside from a few immature college students I worked with we all had knowledge and skills to carry on a conversation and know when to shut up. I chose the job because I could pick my hours, it was close to home and it paid off some property taxes we owed. Then I quit. I could have worked in a more esteemed position somewhere else, but it wouldn't have been convenient. I find your comment really rude.

:iagree: Wow, I missed that the first time around. That is a rather sweeping judgement. Someone works as a cashier so then they must be an idiot, right? Kind of like the idea that if a mom stays home with her children she must be uneducated and lazy.

I have not read through all the responses, so this has probably already been addressed, BUT I used to work at a grocery store from 17-22 yo and we were required to say hello, make some comments, and thank by last name.

Sometimes it's hard to think of things to say, esp. when you just turned 18 yesterday.

Trust me, it's not much fun having to be the one to think of all those things, and we KNOW many people don't like it, I had many people get LIVID if you said their name (which I can understand) yet we were required to thank people by them. You never know when it might be a secret shopper, and your job was on the line.

I'm very grateful to my DH for providing enough to enable me to stay home.

I don't mind a little chit chat but not too much. I'm usual balacing coupons, cards, keys, keeping my DD under control. I don't have much energy for much chit chat. I have had a cashier ask what something was before. I guess I buy some unusual things. We like to occasionally try a different fruit or vegetable. But it never bothered me. They were curious but in a nice way. I wouldn't be offended if they made some comment about what I was buying. Sometimes people are trying to be funny but it just misses the mark.

This thread reminds me of the skit on Mad TV where the check out lady finds what the person is purchasing so interesting that she leaves the person hanging and go and gets one for herself.

:iagree:

I worked with some very intelligent people when I was at a grocery store. And honestly, it paid very well (20 an hour, once I became a checker) and had the BEST health/dental plan I have ever come across. As I said above, I am extremely grateful to be able to stay home with my kids, I wouldn't trade it for the world, but as far as part time jobs go, you can't beat a grocery store. The managers pulled in 100k a year, worked 8am -6pm, and had an awesome medical plan. Whats so bad about that?

So those of you who are irritated by chatty cashiers should just try to suck it up for a few minutes and be nice. I am just saying......

You're right. It's our fault when a perfect stranger is expounding on one's "feminine issues" or PMS. They clearly just have a crappy job. Or, you know, not.

My dh does the grocery shopping, so I am not purchasing groceries often and when I do I am usually with him and not alone. Anyway, we receive wonderful service at Sam's. Costco, and Walmart. Cashiers/ managers/ door greeters/ employees at all levels know my dh by name. They chat with us. Some even come over to us while we are shopping.

The waiters at the restaurant we frequent all stop by to chat even if we are sitting outside. We have been going there since before our youngest was born. When the little guy was still in their high chairs with wheels, they used to push him around the restaurant.

Did I mention that we live in the South and dh is a car salesman?

The hair dresser we go to has been cutting the boys' hair since I was pregnant with the youngest. The last time we went in she teased my oldest about girls and his "hunk-a-burnin' love" sideburns and youngest about holding him down and pulling his loose tooth.

I am quiet in public (for the South), but I can't imagine living in a place where no one talks to their customers.

Mandy

You're right. It's our fault when a perfect stranger is expounding on one's "feminine issues" or PMS. They clearly just have a crappy job. Or, you know, not.

I am sure all cashiers are like that, so I can see why it was necessary to paint with such a broad brush. In my experience customers are more rude than cashiers.

Honestly, I picked where I grocery shop because it has the option of self checkout. I'm just a really shy/private person, and the forced chit chat kills me. I'm always polite and smile, but I really like to avoid the situation if I can. I was a cashier for awhile when I was in school, so I know it can be really boring, and I certainly don't blame people for trying to make conversation, but it's just not for me.

I would much rather a conversation than being almost ignored. It is a pet peeve of mine when a cashier can't even acknowledge me or say a thank you when I go through their line. I appreciate when they can give me the total. Some don't, and I find it very annoying. I don't talk to a cashier until they talk to me. If they never do, I don't say a word. I find it very poor even if they are an underpaid highschooler or part-timer. What happened to basic courtesy??

I would much rather a conversation than being almost ignored. It is a pet peeve of mine when a cashier can't even acknowledge me or say a thank you when I go through their line. I appreciate when they can give me the total. Some don't, and I find it very annoying. I don't talk to a cashier until they talk to me. If they never do, I don't say a word. I find it very poor even if they are an underpaid highschooler or part-timer. What happened to basic courtesy??

I agree 100%

I agree.

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 5 months after 12 years of working at home. It was a horrid experience because of rude and arrogant customers. If they were friendly I would chit chat as long as they were and I was thankful for the polite people. God forbid I say something to someone who thinks they are better than me or they were "too busy" standing there watching me ring things up to actually be polite. OR they talked on their cell phone which then caused me to be rude if I needed to communicate with them. Cashiers are people too and stand on their feet for hours at a time dealing with mostly ungrateful people who act like it is their fault something rang up the wrong price. Cashiers get blamed for everything. It is a thankless job. So those of you who are irritated by chatty cashiers should just try to suck it up for a few minutes and be nice. I am just saying......

I would chat with you! I am pretty chatty with most folks. If a person is quiet, or I get a real sense that they aren't interested in chat, I do stop. But most of the time (nearly 100% of the time) cashiers are very sweet and they tolerate me. lol I don't get what's so great about going about one's day without any conversation with clerks, bank tellers, postal workers, librarians etc.

I also know lots of very nice older folks who work at stores because they don't want a full time job, but want to get out there and interact.

I find the FL Wal-Mart greeters to be among the nicest souls in the world. It's rather boring to be golfing *all the time*. Sometimes it's just nice to be out in the world, even if every word out of your mouth isn't catering the most sensitive. I like to think that most folks are not trying to cause anxiety.

Actually, I have to say that the majority of the time I enjoy the conversations I have with the workers in the supermarket.

Not elitist, Mary. I was responding specifically to the comments that I quoted in that post. Just out of curiosity, did you read that quote? Would YOU, when you were a cashier, have made comments like that? I KNOW I wouldn't have.

A long time ago, when I was putting myself through college, I worked at a large-chain bookstore. I did my time as a cashier. I also worked at a petstore (as a cashier). I have found, though, that most cashiers at supermarkets are not the same type you'd find at the bookstore... just sayin'.

I'm not being rude. Do you find cashiers where you live to be well-educated and socially aware, on average? This is not the case where I live. I *have* met sweet little ol' lady cashiers, and moms-needing-a-second-job cashiers. Where I live, though, they are NOT the norm in supermarkets. Hey... maybe I just frequent the wrong supermarkets!

Anyway... not intenting to be elistist or rude... just sharing my experience related to the TYPE of comments received by the OP.

Cheers!

:iagree: Wow, I missed that the first time around. That is a rather sweeping judgement. Someone works as a cashier so then they must be an idiot, right? Kind of like the idea that if a mom stays home with her children she must be uneducated and lazy.

Ummm... nope. Perhaps you didn't read the quote I was responding to... or perhaps you missed my comment in parentheses that explained why I felt sorry for them? (boring job... maybe they were just trying to make it more entertaining)

Or... maybe the cashiers hired by MY local supermarket, for some reason, are not of the same type as those in your area? We have a LOT of disabled young adults who, quite honestly, don't have the social skills to know what sort of comments should not be made to strangers. (Like the comments the OP mentioned.) And, BTW, I've BEEN a cashier. Ha!

My original post was intended to respond to the types of comments the OP was complaining about... and many of the other posters mentioned inappropriate comments made as well...

Hey, maybe you don't mind strangers making comments about YOUR feminine products, the amount of food you purchase, whether or not you should be feeding your children certain foods, etc. In MY experience and in MY location, though, those types of comments are inappropriate for adults to make to strangers.

:001_huh:

That is so rude! "The type of people working as cashiers . . ."

I think cashiers are just varied. Some are chatty, sometimes even putting a foot in the mouth while others are quiet and just want to do the job.

I just want a hard-working person behind the counter.

Not elitist, Mary. I was responding specifically to the comments that I quoted in that post. Just out of curiosity, did you read that quote? Would YOU, when you were a cashier, have made comments like that? I KNOW I wouldn't have.

A long time ago, when I was putting myself through college, I worked at a large-chain bookstore. I did my time as a cashier. I also worked at a petstore (as a cashier). I have found, though, that most cashiers at supermarkets are not the same type you'd find at the bookstore... just sayin'.

I'm not being rude. Do you find cashiers where you live to be well-educated and socially aware, on average? This is not the case where I live. I *have* met sweet little ol' lady cashiers, and moms-needing-a-second-job cashiers. Where I live, though, they are NOT the norm in supermarkets. Hey... maybe I just frequent the wrong supermarkets!

Anyway... not intenting to be elistist or rude... just sharing my experience related to the TYPE of comments received by the OP.

Cheers!

On average I have to say that the majority of people I worked with were educated enough to carry on a decent conversation, if not well above that. I worked with a fireman that had a part time job on night crew at the grocery store. I worked with an unbelievably brilliant college student interested in making films, I worked with a person who went on to become a nurse, a pwonderful lady straight from Russia who taught me a lot about my heritage, and a person who knew so much about everything I bet he could have conquered Jeopardy. Honestly the "ignorant" people were few, and did not last long.

Now I shop at one particular store, because of their customer service. I don't care if the employee has a college degree or not. They do not carry all the brands I love, I often have to make a quick run into another store to purchase something I need, but the service at this particular store more than makes up for it. I like that they all recognize me, ask me how I'm doing, say hello to the kids, etc.

Having been in the business my pet peeve is terrible customer service. I loathe it.

In my experience customers are more rude than cashiers.

When I was a cashier (at a bookstore) I did not have this experience. Most of the customers were wonderful. (Though I lived in NYC, where people don't interact too much with strangers, so they were just happy to pay quietly for their books and wanted quick, polite service.)

The only issues I ever had with rude customers was during the Christmas rush, when lines were long and people were tired... some people would roll their eyes when someone in front of them was unusually slow... or complain if something didn't work out quickly for them. I tried to remember that they were tired and overstressed, and I purposefully didn't take it personally. I know I've had moments when I was tired, stressed, and sick of waiting in line...

I seriously wouldn't want to be a cashier at that bookstore as a career. It gets truly boring after a while... but it was a good job for a short period of time. Most of the other cashiers were also college students... we had some really good conversations during downtimes...