Menu

Do you consider yourself an "educator"?

Do you consider yourself an "educator?"  

1. 1. Do you consider yourself an "educator?"

• Yes
    • No

I don't, but I suppose I could.

At church a few weeks ago, the youth were in charge of the service. The Youth Minister stood up and asked for "anyone part of the education system to stand up" so they could be prayed over. I didn't stand up. The lady next to me, also a friend, leaned in and said, "you ARE the education system". I chuckled, but it didn't occur to me until later that she was telling me I needed to stand up.

*shrug*. Those things don't occur to me. Probably because I think of what I do as my responsibility of a mother. Sure, mothers wear many hats, but that's what I think of when I hear "mother" anyway - someone who does many things with and for their children.

In other words, I don't think of myself as an educator, nurse, librarian, ring master, counselor, referee, cook, janitor, etc...I think of myself as a mother which entails all of those things.

If I think of myself as those things individually, I would become angry or passive aggressive at least, that I'm not getting paid, LOL. :lol:

At church a few weeks ago, the youth were in charge of the service. The Youth Minister stood up and asked for "anyone part of the education system to stand up" so they could be prayed over. I didn't stand up. The lady next to me, also a friend, leaned in and said, "you ARE the education system". I chuckled, but it didn't occur to me until later that she was telling me I needed to stand up.

*shrug*. Those things don't occur to me. Probably because I think of what I do as my responsibility of a mother. Sure, mothers wear many hats, but that's what I think of when I hear "mother" anyway - someone who does many things with and for their children.

In other words, I don't think of myself as an educator, nurse, librarian, ring master, counselor, referee, cook, janitor, etc...I think of myself as a mother which entails all of those things.

If I think of myself as those things individually, I would become angry or passive aggressive at least, that I'm not getting paid, LOL. :lol:

It's so nice to have people understand what you do!!!!!

When I saw the question, I wondered why anyone would say no, but this explanation makes sense.

Ditto.

I said no because I am doing the shame-spiral-homeschooling-mom thing at the moment. Does anyone else get scared? Tell me you worry some...just a bit?

Never. I never wake up and think, this is insane, nobody else is doing it, he has no friends, what does it matter if he was bored, does he really need a great education, can't he be like everybody else. I never think he's going to leave home and be ostrasized because he never skipped school with his friends.

Nope.

The grey hairs on my 29 yo head are there because I'm dignified, not from worry ;)

There are things my kids need to learn. I facilitate it by collecting materials to demonstrate, rephrasing in as many ways as possible until I find the one that clicks with each individual child, and make sure that the reason the necessary information IS necessary is outlined as joyously as possible. But I'm learning as much as they are. I am showing them how to be self-educators.

There are things my kids need to learn. I facilitate it by collecting materials to demonstrate, rephrasing in as many ways as possible until I find the one that clicks with each individual child, and make sure that the reason the necessary information IS necessary is outlined as joyously as possible. But I'm learning as much as they are. I am showing them how to be self-educators.

:iagree:

:iagree: Ruby

Absolutely. I'm constantly teaching, academics is a very small part of that, time wise.

I'm teaching them not to fight.

I'm teaching them not to steal.

I'm teaching them not to run each other or the dog over with their bikes.

The list goes on and on and on.

So yes, I'm an educator. Its just another name for parenting around here ;)

Funny, Last sunday all "teachers" etc including Homeschoolers were suppose to stand up. I didn't and my mom and husband were saying... "stand up!". Anyway, we're all responsible to teach our children. It's our responsibility and we decide what part of it we'll do...and what part we will "hire-out". So ALL of the parents could have stood, right??

I'm just as responsible for my daughter who goes to Public school (ok..well she's step..so it's not my decision:-) as my children who I school. Sometimes, I think it should be that way. Everyone who sends their children, stand up, so you remember that you're the person held responsible for your child's education. We're praying for you today, so that you'll remember to stay involved:-)

Carrie

Yes, I do consider myself an educator. I am a certified teacher, but that has NOTHING to do with my response. Those who are certified might agree with me. Out of 2 years of post Bacc. classes, only one class seemed at all relevant, lesson planning. All the others seemed quite like jumping through hoops.

I am an educator because I am trying to instill a curiosity about the world and love of learning in my children. Those are things that can't be measured on a standardized test.

Funny, Last sunday all "teachers" etc including Homeschoolers were suppose to stand up. I didn't and my mom and husband were saying... "stand up!". Anyway, we're all responsible to teach our children. It's our responsibility and we decide what part of it we'll do...and what part we will "hire-out". So ALL of the parents could have stood, right??

I'm just as responsible for my daughter who goes to Public school (ok..well she's step..so it's not my decision:-) as my children who I school. Sometimes, I think it should be that way. Everyone who sends their children, stand up, so you remember that you're the person held responsible for your child's education. We're praying for you today, so that you'll remember to stay involved:-)

Carrie

Can you imagine how convicting that would be? I can just see the expressions on the faces of parents who really truly think it is not their job.