Menu

If you pencil in lessons for each week...

when you miss a day or a week, do you erase and rewrite that sequence throughout your entire planner?

For example, if I penciled in a chapter a week of Life of Fred, but last week we skipped it because we went out of town to tend to sick relatives, should I go through my planner, erase all Life of Fred assignments, and pencil in correct ones bumped down one week from the ideal I had planned? Would you try to remember to erase as you go? Would you double up on lessons the next week? Is this your motivation to not skip any work?

Here's why I ask. I penciled in to my weekly agenda my religion lesson plans this year because they're tied to holidays and natural events like full moons and whatnot. It's really helping me get to them, seeing them right there on my planner. So I'm wondering if I should do that with the other subjects. I never have before because we're horribly flexible classical unschoolers, planning 36 weeks of lessons and taking 52 weeks to get them done, at our leisure basically. I have always kept a separate school agenda and calendar-tied agenda.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I keep schedules for history, science, literature, and art each on its own schedule grid. So, I just check off as I go, and add what I want to accomplish each week to the weekly schedule. I think in weekly terms, rather than daily, as I am a Big Picture Person. For example, in Math, I pencil in "Lessons 4-8." Not sure if this will help, but I actually have a post on how I plan HERE.

For math/language arts/composition and extras, I just pencil in my starting point on MONDAY. Then, during the week we fill in what was actually done, AFTER it is done.

I would not pencil in weeks ahead; do one week at a time and you will not feel behind or stressed. :) On the following Monday, simply pick up where you left off.

Edited by Tami

I use an excel worksheet. I also only plan 1-2 weeks in advance. (Just to be sure I have science experiment supplies or library books collected.)

Writing it on paper would be a nightmare. I change my excel sheet around all the time. I mean, ALL the time.

I use the block planners from DOnna Young's site. You can write plans up to 6 weeks (depending on the sheet you choose) and you just check off assignments as you get them done. That way you don't have to erase anything. For my weekly lesson plan sheet, I write only one week at a time copying from the block planner. Donna Young explains the system well on her site donnayoung.org

I ran into trouble like this my first year. I had planned out my fisrt six months ony to have it go wrong on the first day. I can laugh about it now, but I cried back then.

For me, I find it easier to have a general plan of what I would like to do each day. I only record anything after I have complete it. You never know when there will be an illness or the next great field trip that you cannot miss.;) KWIM

I plan by week, or group of 2-3 days. When something does not get done, I either erase and rewrite, or circle it and make an arrow to the correct day it happened. OR I just cross it out and write it again in the right spot.

But I never write too much - just the book abbrev., page numbers on lesson numbers, something like this.

For me, I find it easier to have a general plan of what I would like to do each day. I only record anything after I have complete it.

:iagree:I have a "master" page in the front of my planner that tells me how much should be done each week per subject. This way I do know what should be done weekly!

Also... I make my own planner by priting out a pretty detailed schedule, being as specific as possible. I make 36 copies of this schedule and stick it in a notebook with our attendance sheet, etc. Therefore I only need to enter lesson numbers or page numbers each week. (kids names, subjects, books, supplementals are all there to be checked off.) I know this sounds simple, but it took a while for me to figure it out! :001_huh:

Oh my all time biggest homeschool dilemma! I've done something similar with a calendar for things tied to dates - holidays, famous birthdays, etc. For the rest of my subjects I tend to schedule by subject. For example, I have math...

Lesson 34

Lesson 35

Lesson 36, etc.

and instead of a simple check box, I put in the date we complete it. This has helped me keep track. I tend to be an all or nothing type and when I penciled in schedules for every subject for a week and then we missed a day, it really threw me off. I had such a hard time getting back on track when we missed a scheduled school day. My penciled in plans seemed to mock me! I've found that scheduling by subject and keeping track of completion dates has helped me greatly.

I was doing full schedules for dated weeks and scheduling out the whole year and about every 6 weeks or so I redid them. It's fun but a lot of work and wastes a lot of paper and such because they can only take one or two erasings and then you need fresh paper to read the plans clearly.

This year I am using Donnayoung.org.

For scheduling out the subjects for the year, I used: http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/term.htm page down to the semester planner. It has 36 weeks and 5 days per week that you can plan for each subject. I use really sharp pencils.

If I want to change something then I just throw out the page and print out a new one rather than redo 36 pages of plans.

For the week, I love her column planners: http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/columns.htm You can pick any sort of combination of lines and columns.

I use the 4 column planners because we do 4 day school weeks. Right now I am using the 12 line one because we are trying out workboxes. But I have used the 9 line for combining two students.

I also like some of the ones on this page: http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/planner.htm The two child planner was nice to organized things that we do together from things that they do apart. I used this one for K/2nd.

And the Edwardian ruled 5 by 8 made a nice two-week planner for one child doing 5 subjects. I used these last year for 1st/3rd.

Sorry, I rambled off. I love planners.:001_smile:

I planned by the week, and did my planning on the weekend before the Monday we started. I had each subject and each day's work for a week, then highlighted it as we finished it.

If we missed a day (or three, lol) I'd double up until we were back on track, or do it on the weekend or whenever. It DID help me stay on track to see what I wanted to finish for the week.

Of course, a couple of times, I just threw in the towel and changed the DATES on a particular week that we didn't get much of anything done. :lol:

I made up a blank schedule for the kids and on each day, for each subject, I put either lesson or chapter and a ______. They write in the chapter, lesson or pg numbers each day as they work. This way if we miss a day we just continue where we left off.

I have a column on the side that tells them what I expect each day such as 1 lesson or read 2 pages or whatever works for that subject.

I am printing 40 of these week plans for each kid and having them bound into a pesonalized lesson plan book for each.

Edited by Quiver0f10

:iagree:I have a "master" page in the front of my planner that tells me how much should be done each week per subject. This way I do know what should be done weekly!

Also... I make my own planner by priting out a pretty detailed schedule, being as specific as possible. I make 36 copies of this schedule and stick it in a notebook with our attendance sheet, etc. Therefore I only need to enter lesson numbers or page numbers each week. (kids names, subjects, books, supplementals are all there to be checked off.) I know this sounds simple, but it took a while for me to figure it out! :001_huh:

Great thread! Thank you for this information, TMarie. I needed it this morning :)

I have 42 weeks to plan!

For each subject, I have one, massive, undated list of assignments. We check them off as we go. My kids each have a calendar-day planner-thingey into which I write their assignments day by day. I usually do this on a daily basis--it takes very little time to just check the big master lists and write in the next thing. I never, ever write in more than a week's work because inevitably something happens to ruin the plan.

Some of my non specific plans might just say:

Do 1 Lesson.

After that week is complete, or when we start working on it, I'll note exactly WHICH lesson it was.

I'm like you... 36 weeks of plans and 52 weeks to complete them. :D:D

I plan for a week or two in advance. I check mark each lesson when done, if we don't get to it i put an X beside it. I don't erase (that could get time consuming) but I'll just transfer it to the next week.

Math seems to be the one we get hung up on the most. :glare:

No advice, since I'm a newbie. But, I have copies of blank weekly planning pages (each has 8 weeks a page) in my binder - for each subject. I will schedule each subject a week or two in advance. They will not be dated, but will be numbered weeks 1-36, so if something comes up, we will still continue with the same plan, without affecting the other subjects.

At the front of the binder is a calendar page of the full school year. Ds has to X out each day when it is done.

We'll see how this works out!

Lisa

Nope, I plan according to the day and then as we finish a lesson I cross it out with highlighter. It makes it easy to see what I did not finish yet. So I might be on day 4 in grammar, math and science but day 8 in history kwim. As long as I finish everything I planned for the year by the end of the year I am good, no need to rewrite anything.

You can divide your lessons up and put approx. one month of lessons on one page, but label them not by date, but by Day of school 1-180. That way if Lesson 17 comes on Wed or Fri., it doesn't matter, only that Lesson 17 gets done.

If you make yourself a monthly sheet, you can get an idea of where you should be vs. where you are. That way you can keep on track, but not have to rewrite.

FWIW, planners like HST have an easy couple buttons to fix that. I don't use mine anymore, but it does make for easy schooling.

I plan in 5 week segments, and then break down weekly. The five week plan is typed out but I don't print each set until we've reached the end of the previous so I can see what needs to be changed. Then I print five blank weekly planners behind that and plan daily each week. I just use my 5 wk plan to keep me on track and I mark off what we get completely every week as we go. Does that make sense? lol

I plan in 5 week segments, and then break down weekly. The five week plan is typed out but I don't print each set until we've reached the end of the previous so I can see what needs to be changed. <snip> Does that make sense? lol

Yep, makes sense. It's a good idea, too, waiting to print. I'm not sure it would work for me in this case since I'm wanting to stick my school plans in my everything-else agenda, but maybe... maybe if I stuck the school plans into my regular agenda, on their own page, but in the same book.

This is why I never do lesson plans by date. It makes me crazy and turns me into a slave-driver.

If I were you, I would still keep date-driven (incl. religion) and content lesson plans separate. You could turn it into a positive by writing in your planner after the fact what you got done that day in history or whatever.

The only actual lesson plans I do are for history (Biblioplan layout), and they are labeled "Week 1" and such. I just check things off as I get to them. I do keep an eye on our general progress and try to stay on track, say, get to the Revolutionary War by Thanksgiving, or whatever.

I sit down every Sunday afternoon and plan out week.

For subjects which have their own schedules (like Singapore Math and SoTW) I just write in whatever is next.

Canadian History is something I pull together on my own. Last night I planned a section --it'll take about 18 days to get through it. I keep this "Master plan" in my binder/planner.

I keep a daily plan, made up weekly also in the planner. On Sunday (or Monday, we school Tues to Sat) I slot in which "days" we'll do. If I plan to do days 1 thru 4 and we don't get to 4, I'll simply write "4" next week.

This year I'm trying to plan writing assignments for each child based on our Literature, History and Science readings. For that I made up a master plan from now until Christmas with all the lessons in History (Canadian and Early Modern) and Science planned. Then I wrote in what type of assignment I wanted.

I also scheduled in my daughter's CW Aesop in between reports and "essays"--just so we wouldn't have a CW assignment the same week I wanted a report on the moon, for example.

This master plan goes into the planner too--and I will work from it when I make up my day to day plans. I don't know what I'll do if we get off track too far. I'm hoping it will motivate me to stay on our toes.

I don't know if that helps or just adds to the confusion. It's good to "see" you again, Rose.

Edited by Alana in Canada

I buy one of those 5 subject notebooks so that I have lots of writing room. Then before the school year I use one of the sections to make big lists of what I want to cover during the year for each grade I'm teaching, including lists of read-alouds, independent reading books, project ideas, anything I can think of. Then I use the remaining sections and write in the dates of the school year, one page for each day. I also figure out beforehand how many pages or lessons of each subject we should be doing per week to finish the course by the end of the year.

Then I just plan weekly. For example, on Mondays we do a Bible lesson, math, reading, handwriting and a piano lesson. So I just write down those five things with a few lines between each. I do that for the whole upcoming week and then after we complete each day, I write down on the blank lines exactly what we accomplished; which math lessons, what they read aloud to me, which handwriting pages they did, etc. Then if we take a week off or don't get a certain lesson done on a certain day, it doesn't mess anything up.

Last year I planned out the whole year, down to the lessons and of course, it all got thrown off schedule and I had to keep making changes. So this year I've scrapped that and I'm doing it this way. I like it a lot better and my agenda/notebook is so much neater! As long as I know how many pages/lessons I need to do of each subject and stick to that as much as I can, then everything gets done and it all works out.

I write our lesson plans usually a week at a time; rarely will I plan more than three weeks ahead. That said, most of our core curriculum is "do the next thing" and requires little planning. Our one subject that requires a great deal of planning (science) is scheduled through Christmas, but we're taking a 3 year program and condensing it to two years so we have to cover a certain amount of material by a certain time to get through it all.

I use the block planners from DOnna Young's site. You can write plans up to 6 weeks (depending on the sheet you choose) and you just check off assignments as you get them done. That way you don't have to erase anything. For my weekly lesson plan sheet, I write only one week at a time copying from the block planner. Donna Young explains the system well on her site donnayoung.org

I had this same question and looked at my system this year and did this six week lesson plan for Science/grammar/history and it works great. Then I just pencil them in after we did it for that day. So we didn't get to science this week no problem I know the sequence to do for next week and I'll just write it in then.

These Donna Young sites are very helpful also

I've been working on my planner the last few days as well. We don't start until next month, but I think what I've planned will work. I used planners from www.DonnaYoung.org.

I printed six 6 week planner pages. That page will have a overview of each six week period. Then I printed 36 weekly log sheets. This sheet will have a detailed plan of each week. I divided my planner into six sections. Each section has a 6 week planner page, a weekly log for each week, a reading log to write down all intended read alouds and books needed as well as extra paper to scribble notes, project plans, field trips, etc. In the front of my binder I will have a detailed list of all the curriculum used as well as a calendar, attendance record, and grade sheet.

I hope it works!:)

I didn't look at all the replies, but what I do is write in what we've done after the fact...so I'm penciling things in after my kids are done. I don't like making schedules out ahead because life happens and I hate erasing. Now I do have a general schedule or routine where I know what we do each day. We just pick up our books and go to the next page when we open our books. Sometimes I have to look ahead a bit in the books, but mostly it works out really well for us.

Alison

I make lists of the things that need to be done for the year in the order they need to be done (if it's not completely obvious from a table of contents). Then on the weekend before each week I look at my list and write down what needs to be done for that week.

I find this works better for me because if I make a plan for a whole year and then we get off from the plan it makes me CRAZY.

Yes. I am a stickler for planning and scheduling. I hate to get off track (but life happens). When I do get off the schedule I re-do it. Doing this makes me feel more in control of it. I think it is more for my peace of mind since I feel better knowing everything will be done when I need it done. If I know we have something unplanned come up and I have a little time to work ahead I'll do that to avoid having to re-do the schedule.

So it sounds like you have two types of items to schedule:

1) date-specific items (your religious holidays/observances),

2) non-date specific sequences of lessons (LoF lesson 1, lesson 2,.... WWE 1, 2, 3 etc.)

And you're looking at moving towards making your subject plans _more_ date-specific because it might "motivate you not to skip any work" and "help you to get to" everything you want.

This is what I would do: I would write all my date-specific, date-tied items in my plan book. Period. Those aren't moving anywhere.

It is inevitable that your lesson plan sequences are going to move & you can't predict when. AND, even worse, different subjects are going to move at different rates. :) You might be on Day 45 of WWE, Day 67 of LoF, .... all on day 52 of your actual school year. It IS predictable that you will go crazy erasing and moving. Erasing and moving is NOT motivating !!

Because you can't predict changes in your subject lesson plans, I would plan each subject out into day increments.

LoF: Day 1:x, Day 2:y, Day 3:z...

WWE: Day 1:a, Day 2: b, Day 3: c....

SOTW 2: Day 1:r, Day 2:s,.....

I do this in Excel, one worksheet for each subject. Then, I put all the subjects onto a single Excel master plan worksheet, day 1, 2, 3 listed down the left side and subjects across the top: Singapore, Horizons, R&S 4, Spelling/Dictation, etc. (Actually, I use weeks on the master plan so it's more big picture.) I can see immediately which subjects are going to require the most days and will be most painful to put off. I can also see which subjects I could spread out a little to give a little more time to the subjects that will require extra time. I also put a FINISH line across the bottom with when I really, really want to be done with all these subjects.

Every Sunday, I pull out my actual lesson plan book for the week (where I would already have written any date-tied items/events that can't move.) On the Excel master plan, I highlight the work we completed the previous week. If we didn't get to one day of writing and four days of history, I move the writing column down by one day and the history column down by 4 days. Then I pencil into my written plan book whatever days are next up in each subject for that week.

By looking at your weekly plan/plan book, you can see what date-specific things you might have to work around or for which you might have to lighten the subject load for that week. Then write in whatever days you are on in each subject from your Excel master plan.

There's no painful, painful erasing, but it _is_ motivating to be able to see that, wow, at this rate, history is going to take 6 whole weeks longer to complete than any other subject. :lol: Bottom line, being able to see how many days I have left of all the subjects I want to cover and how far off any particular subject is compared to the others is motivating to me. I want the motivation to stay on track, but without any excessive busy work of erasing and moving things forward by hand.

Sorry this was so long. Hope it makes some sense.

yvonne

Edited by yvonne

I use a non-dated method....in other words, I have my plans of what I'd like to do in the order I'd like to do it, but I don't assign it specific dates to get done (which also means it would never work to put in a personal planner, but my calendar which is my planner is in the same binder, so it's easy to see both together.

That way, if we do less than we "should" have for a day there is no feeling that we failed to finish, nor is there any need to erase things, or move things to something else. We just know that the next time we pick up that subject we'll be on "this". Without dates attached there is never the failure feeling.

of course, we school year round so I also don't have a "must be done by" date. I know approximately when I want to finish this workbook/textbook/subject, so that we don't get totally behind, but even that is not hard and fast.

For me it makes life in general just seem smoother to have a plan and know what we want to do, but not to have deadlines that will make me feel stressed if we don't make them. It gives us the chance to seize the opportunities that come up without being chained to a calendar.

And for those that worry that this means you might get behind and therefore not have your child get through all the subjects/courses that they should in a "school year"......when I see that we're getting close to being done with the plans I've worked up, so it's time to start considering the next set of plans (and buying or finding resources for it), I do evaluate whether we're on track to complete this grade on time. Right now, it's August and my eldest by virtue of her age should be starting 7th grade....but we're about 2 months into our 8th grade plan for lit, science and history, and about mid way through 7th grade in math. So, technically we could probably take the rest of 2009 off and still be on track. Somehow not having deadlines makes us free enough to just keep going to the next lesson when we are enjoying it, whereas when I had daily plans we'd get all frustrated if we got behind and be so busy trying to 'catch up" that we never did get ahead. It's obviously a psychological thing, but I've done the non-date planning for about 3 years now and it has been so wonderful and we've gotten so much more done. According to my husband it's because I'm such a control freak that I couldn't handle it when the calendar was in control instead of me. :confused::lol:

Edited by ConnieB

I am toying with an idea here, for just the reason you mention (erasing etc.) Has anyone here ever used an index card system? I am thinking of writing out the year's lessons on cards, one subject on each card. So, for math I write out one weeks lessons, all on one card. Do the same for each subject and then put them in a cardbox. Each week take out the next card in each subject area, cross off lessons as they are completed, and if a lesson or two doesn't get done, just put the card back in the front for the next week. You can toss cards when you are done (or keep them for records I suppose) and divide the cards by quarters or semesters or whatever to help you keep an eye on the big picture.

Critique?

I use an excel worksheet for my main plan. It has sub sheets of seperate subjects scheduling and purchases etc.

My main schedule has the 40 weeks that we work and the scheduled holidays. It's divided into 4 blocks of 10 and every 10th week is completely unscheduled so we can use it for catch up.

For subjects like history and science I just put the main thing we will cover in the 10 week block (or sometimes 5 week sub-block) The rest of the planning for those subjects is on seperate subject sheets where I detail chapters we will read etc. Always with a weeks grace for missed days.

For subjects like Maths I put which lesson I want to get to by the end of the 10 week block.

Then on a Sunday night I open up the childrens 3 seperate excel sheets (roughly based on Donna Young) and put in the work for the current week including maths sheets etc. So I'm never doing detailed planning more than a week in advance. The children use this as a checklist during the week and I file it as my record of what we have done.

I've tried a few different ways of doing things. Generally my latest greatest planning idea lasts 6 months. This one is going strong after 8 months and I'm not planning to change it any time soon.

Hey folks,

I have downloaded Donna Young's Excel 6 wk planner and entered a week's worth of lessons, and now I would like to print it out in a size that fits my classic daytimer-like agenda.

I have been all over the OpenOffice menus and am still not finding the right thing to click. Do I need to use my copy machine to shrink it? Or is there something I've missed?

Because, you know, I've made forms that size manually before, and it's a bunch of work, and I can't reuse those forms with the constellation of kids and subjects I have this year.

Please tell me there's a way to print these Excel planner pages in 5.5 x 8.5.

Please tell me there's a way to print these Excel planner pages in 5.5 x 8.5.

Choose Page Layout, then size, then statement (which is 5.5 x 8.5). Go back to your worksheet and realize that the dotted lines are now where the page will print, so you may have to adjust your column widths or font size to make it all fit.

This is what I've set up for my youngest school-age kidlet.

In OpenOffice it does print to a size that can be hole-punched and stuck in my personal agenda. I'm not sure yet if I'll keep all of the weeks in back and pull them forward as necessary or stick them all where they go at once.

Also, in OpenOffice it's all in a nicely lined grid.

This took me about five hours to design, test print and pop the lessons into. I'm hoping it will be less when I do the older kids' since the formatting is done.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Ok, I have to say that I was a paper planner. I would plan by the week only. I would write out lesson plans by subject and then refer to those lists for weekly plans. I often used a file crate system as well.

However, I have been converted. I now do my planning mostly on my iPod. I read this blog post and am loving it. For one thing, I often use my iPod for other things (did you know there is a kindle app on there?). Now I use the notebook app for not only home school but also home keeping information. Now, I still set up my file folders, I still have a paper binder divided by subjects, and a paper calendar. The reason for these three things is that I can look at all three of them at the same time without going back and forth.

For example, today I set up the first 2 sessions of my year in my file crate. I had one hanging folder for each session and then a manilla (only not that color) folder dated for each week. In each week's folder I put any paperwork we might need for that week. I also have hanging files for each subjects in the back of the file crate. In the subject hanging files, I put other related papers that I don't want to hole punch and put in the binder. I also don't know when these things will get scheduled.

In my binder are dividers for each subject I'm doing as well as dividers for Family, field trips, Travels, general information, and extra curricular. I put in this binder anything I've found that I want to look at more. I print off articles, curriculum, any written notes I've made, ect. Under general I put the world book scope and sequences as well as things more specific to my children but not fitting into one subject.

On my iPod notes are the day to day plans. I have folders with in folders and then notes with dates. It will let you search the notebook so I can search by date and it will list for me all that I have planned for that date.

I can elaborate if you have questions. But basically today I had my file crate out and my notebook open to the calendar page. I filed things I had printed into the appropriate weeks and if I didn't know what week we'd get to it, I put it into the subject file. If it's just something like lesson plans or directions for a craft, I just put it into the binder.

:)

Clear as mud?

I do the undated planning because it is not worth the frustration when I feel behind, - so I use checklists for each subject. Here is a post I just wrote last week about how I list my subjects and keep track of what comes next.

:iagree:It is not good to feel behind. I have my stack of books for my plan. Each day, I need to go through my stack of books, teach it, and restack them for tomorrow.